PDA

View Full Version : People have stopped playing

jesoftngentle
12-27-13, 03:54 PM
I would venture to say more than 1/2 of my neighbors have stopped playing. I am kind of shocked by it actually. Anyone else notice the drop?

maddy515
12-27-13, 04:17 PM
yes!! I was just going to start a thread saying the same thing! I'm going to do a neighbor clean out I think. Any active players should post so we can all become neighbors that visit and donate :)

kellerjack
12-27-13, 04:33 PM
Half of my neighbors have stopped playing too, that's sad :( One day I'm going to have to go through them one by one and do some cleaning.

jptheripper
12-27-13, 04:37 PM
I just dont see this. I see more and more new people every day. I expect alot of turnover. But i see user community as growing, not shrinking

Queenzod
12-27-13, 04:40 PM
Ya, over the last month I've been cleaning out neighbors. I started with 123 people, and I've weeded it down to 62. That's about 50%. People get angry or bored and move along to something else. I can tell you it feels great to know that most of my neighbors are active players. Clean and organized! There's still a few I've got my eye on, tho. :)

maddy515
12-27-13, 05:00 PM
I have 92 neighbors after a clean out but I still feel like a bunch of them are inactive. I'm going to add you guys though. at least I'll have some active neighbors haha

CLOVERKAITO
12-27-13, 06:22 PM
I'm active! I haven't been doing any clean out, though.

jimboser
12-27-13, 08:06 PM
I have over 100 last I checked, and most still seem to be active. What surprises me are the small kingdoms at low levels, but when I visit the. I can still tap on a few buildings for hearts, which means they have played recently.

Every now and then I drop one that seems inactive, but not as often as I would expect.

Still, after recent timed quests, I'm sure some are likely to drop soon if they haven't already.

BriarAvenue
12-27-13, 08:08 PM
I am going to clean up after the New Year though.
I think I should give my neighbors some time with families n friends in real life.
Some of them maybe travelling. Like quite a lot of families are still out of power in Toronto due to earlier snow storms.
At least I think I owe this to them, some of them are really nice fellows.

olcastle
12-27-13, 08:22 PM
What surprises me are the small kingdoms at low levels, but when I visit the. I can still tap on a few buildings for hearts, which means they have played recently.

or it means they abandoned the game too long ago and their buildings are reseting.

Elix33
12-27-13, 08:29 PM
I'm active !

jimboser
12-27-13, 08:35 PM
or it means they abandoned the game too long ago and their buildings are reseting.

I didn't think the buildings did that? And why would they do that? Doesn't seem like it makes sense.

olcastle
12-27-13, 09:05 PM
It made like this so you think exactly what you think :) that people are playing in the dead kingdoms.
I think they reset likes and tips every 2 weeks.

Castloninian
12-27-13, 11:33 PM
I did a big clean out recently and probably will again in the new year. I do try to visit neighbours each day, prioritising the ones with stars, so it saves time when I don't revisit abandoned kingdoms. Also, when you send a request you don't have to think too much about who to send it to.

eepopp
12-28-13, 01:20 AM
It made like this so you think exactly what you think :) that people are playing in the dead kingdoms.
I think they reset likes and tips every 2 weeks.

As someone that has three accounts, I can confirm that on my 3rd account that I never play (but is neighbored to my main account), it frequently has buildings that are available to be heart collected.

sabbywabbys
12-28-13, 01:33 AM
Im active level 30 and addicted. Wont be quitting anytime soon if ever lol. Ever since i stopped gaming castle story has be ome my new addiction even tho it not quite the same kind of gaming cuz i dont rly lose sleep over CS but still loving it!

girufel
12-28-13, 03:45 AM
Maybe it's because of the holidays that there are so many inactive players. I noticed the same with a few of my neighbors. I'm going to wait after new year before cleaning out.

JayUK69
12-28-13, 05:46 AM
I've noticed more and more of my neighbours have stopped playing since the pergola quest. The timed quests wouldn't be so bad if they weren't aimed at high level players or those willing to spend a fortune on gems, and if the timer was accurate. It really isn't fair to expect players to adhere to a deadline when it can expire at any given time, usually a day early. Going through my neighbours there are many with half built bat caves, stables, kingdom inns and pergolas.

I have managed to complete all the timed quests myself, but that was only due to having plenty of materials in my inventory and using gems on occasion to complete certain parts of the quest.

Maybe TL need to have easier quests to entice newer players to continue. And they certainly need to fix the stupid timer which hasn't worked on a single timed quest. If it says 8 days, it should be 8 days not 7 or 7days and 4 hours etc...

Rockinkitten
12-28-13, 05:57 AM
2/3 of my neighbours aren't playing. I haven't added anyone new for ages.

gdmcrjunkie
12-28-13, 06:38 AM
Most of my neighbours have been gone for months. If I ever get around to deleting the inactives I'll be left with about 10 neighbours. Actually I was going to stop playing as well but on just the day after I decided to stop we got the Greselda quests. Then thanks to all these timed quests I haven't got a chance to get bored since. I hope they've convinced others to stay too~

moon331
12-28-13, 06:48 AM
I don't even bother to delete inactive neighbors.

CottageRose
12-28-13, 05:32 PM
I think sometime after the first of the year, I will be clearing out my list. I have 240+ but I'm sure at least are no longer playing. Having a list that big is sorta sad, because I really can't visit them all regularly anyways.

dng1234
12-28-13, 08:17 PM
I'm currently doing a clean out myself. Clearing out the inactives helps to keep you from wasting requests. You can only sent out 20 per day so you want to make them count.

MiniLaura
12-29-13, 06:20 AM
I'm currently doing a clean out myself. Clearing out the inactives helps to keep you from wasting requests. You can only sent out 20 per day so you want to make them count.
Actually, you can send as many request as you want each day. You can receive only 20 each day.

nairi7
12-29-13, 07:58 AM
Clearing inactives is annoying :( tl should add a little text next to each neighbor 'last played X days ago' wouldn't be too hard to add!

Queenzod
12-29-13, 07:59 AM
Can one of the moderators check into the idea that hearts get reset if a player is inactive? That we might not be able to tell if someone is really playing or not? I'd like to get TLs official position on this. Thanks so much!

steveirwinsfan
12-29-13, 08:08 AM
Add steveirwinsfan and also add houseofsibuna

I play Bakery Story, Castle Story, Dragon Story, Farm Story 2, Fashion Story, Pet Shop Story, Pet Hotel, Restaurant Story and Zoo Story 2. Need Neighbors Have no community neighbors on both storm8Id's.

MiniLaura
12-29-13, 09:07 AM
Can one of the moderators check into the idea that hearts get reset if a player is inactive? That we might not be able to tell if someone is really playing or not? I'd like to get TLs official position on this. Thanks so much!
I know there's a post out there that discusses how the heart/star rating works, but I can't find it. I think it was posted in either the Restaurant forum or the Bakery forum. But I believe what happens is that when a players are inactive, they keeps their hearts/stars until they log in their game again. But as soon as they log in, they drop to zero (assuming they have been inactive long enough).

The way that I tell if someone is inactive is to wait for a bit after a major update and delete anyone who doesn't have the items from the update. For example, I just went through and deleted anyone who did not have anything from any of the Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas updates. I did something similar a couple of months after Valentines day.

Queenzod
12-29-13, 09:10 AM
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my question. Someone recently posted that the individual hearts on their buildings get reset. So you can keep tapping on hearts, but they're not actually playing. I didn't mean their heart meter. Thanks!

ghjvcucjb
12-29-13, 10:14 AM
It's almost the new year so time to organize and clean up!

Just started working on my neighbors' list this morning. Posted a notification on my wall. Over the next week will visit each and every neighbor posting the same message: "HI, cleaning up my neighbors' list and letting my neighbors know I am still active. please leave a post on my wall. THANK YOU!" Then I will wait two weeks (just in case anyone is on holiday) then delete anyone who doesn't respond. Even if they are active and don't respond on my wall because that just says to me that they aren't checking their wall or notifications regularly which would include important time sensitive goal requests.

jptheripper
12-29-13, 10:22 AM
I don't ever check my wall.

housewelove
12-29-13, 10:42 AM
Clearing inactives is annoying :( tl should add a little text next to each neighbor 'last played X days ago' wouldn't be too hard to add!

Yes I like this idea. I am still active!

ghjvcucjb
12-29-13, 10:48 AM
I don't ever check my wall.

That's too bad. How do you communicate with your neighbors?

jptheripper
12-29-13, 10:56 AM
Why would I do that? I just never got the social aspect. I send earth wisps every day, they send them back.

ghjvcucjb
12-29-13, 11:20 AM
Why would I do that? I just never got the social aspect. I send earth wisps every day, they send them back.

Ahhh, I guess we all play differently. The only reason I made it this long on this game, especially during those months upon months of no updates, was because of the social aspect and all my wonderful neighbors. We would wittle away the time by coming up with our own story lines and goals ie. Free the Faeries, poems of love to TL, dragon naming day and play dates.

But more importantly (game wise) communicating with my neighbors allow us to help each other out with needed items. For the longest time I was maxed out on most all items so posted for my nbrs to send me anything they wanted and I would return it or just tell me and save their gifts for someone who needed them. Also, I always know who to send goal requests to for immediate response instead of sending out a zillion, overloading the system and not getting enough back in a timely manner. I have hundreds upon hundreds of neighbors so updating my list once a year is helpful to my way of playing.

MiniLaura
12-29-13, 12:41 PM
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my question. Someone recently posted that the individual hearts on their buildings get reset. So you can keep tapping on hearts, but they're not actually playing. I didn't mean their heart meter. Thanks!
Gotcha!

In Farm Story 1, the stuff gets "reset" every now and then. I don't know if it happens on a regular schedule, but I think the time frame is on the order of weeks rather than days. Assuming something similar happens in Castle Story, and you visited a neighbor every day, you would probably "max out" the hearts in a week or so depending on how many buildings they had. So if you had a neighbor that seemed to be "maxed out" for several days in a row, you could probably guess that he or she is not visiting their kingdom. (But then, of course, a player could be maxed out because they have so many neighbors who stop by all the time!)

But in any case, the hearts probably do reset over time.

Queenzod
12-29-13, 01:02 PM
Gotcha!

In Farm Story 1, the stuff gets "reset" every now and then. I don't know if it happens on a regular schedule, but I think the time frame is on the order of weeks rather than days. Assuming something similar happens in Castle Story, and you visited a neighbor every day, you would probably "max out" the hearts in a week or so depending on how many buildings they had. So if you had a neighbor that seemed to be "maxed out" for several days in a row, you could probably guess that he or she is not visiting their kingdom. (But then, of course, a player could be maxed out because they have so many neighbors who stop by all the time!)

But in any case, the hearts probably do reset over time.

Thanks! This is helpful. And, another reason we need some type of gauge to know when people were last online. But then again, if I never visited any of my neighbors I would expect to get deleted just for that.

maguar
12-29-13, 01:51 PM

I can confirm that this is the case though I'm not sure on the clearing time. I've had neighbours who have clearly quit (had the original layout without the extra free expansions added with an update) and their farms would clear from time to time.

It's almost the new year so time to organize and clean up!

Just started working on my neighbors' list this morning. Posted a notification on my wall. Over the next week will visit each and every neighbor posting the same message: "HI, cleaning up my neighbors' list and letting my neighbors know I am still active. please leave a post on my wall. THANK YOU!" Then I will wait two weeks (just in case anyone is on holiday) then delete anyone who doesn't respond. Even if they are active and don't respond on my wall because that just says to me that they aren't checking their wall or notifications regularly which would include important time sensitive goal requests.

I've got to admit that at the moment I've been pretty slack with checking my wall but I am responding to quests a couple of times a day.

dng1234
12-29-13, 03:14 PM
I've got to admit that at the moment I've been pretty slack with checking my wall but I am responding to quests a couple of times a day.

You're not the only one. I try to check in every so often but I forget sometimes.

I love the idea of a last played clock thingy. Can that be put on the next suggestion poll?

ghjvcucjb
12-29-13, 05:01 PM
SNIP

I'm pretty sure everyone knows you are still active M. You get a free pass. I've seen your wall, you must get a 100 plus posts a day. Pretty sure very few regular players get that many.

Just learned something about myself. I talk a good game but don't necessarily walk the talk. While visiting my neighbors this morning, approximately half a dozen had as their last post on their walls was from several months ago from ME asking if they were still playing. So, although I have great intention to clean things up, I apparently never follow through. Also, I've only gotten through neighbors with A names. doesn't bode well for how many of my neighbors are still active.

linleyland
12-29-13, 05:09 PM
What is the easiest method to determine whether a neighbor has quit? I'm active daily - love to have more active neighbors. ID: linleyland ��

dng1234
12-29-13, 07:30 PM
Also, I've only gotten through neighbors with A names. doesn't bode well for how many of my neighbors are still active.

I feel you on this one. I've been sitting down with pen and paper so I can delete several at a time and not have to keep scrolling through my neighbors list.

What is the easiest method to determine whether a neighbor has quit? I'm active daily - love to have more active neighbors. ID: linleyland ��

The way that I tell if someone is inactive is to wait for a bit after a major update and delete anyone who doesn't have the items from the update. For example, I just went through and deleted anyone who did not have anything from any of the Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas updates. I did something similar a couple of months after Valentines day.

Linley, I follow along the same lines as Laura but also check out their wall. Culling inactives can be difficult with lower level players so that's where the wall check comes into play. I'll put questional neighbors on a "watch list". I'll keep an eye out on their level and royal points and see if its changed any after a week or two.

kalanisd
12-29-13, 08:27 PM
Please add me as well! This game is a great time killer between classes and nice break from studying so I play a lot. My ID is Kalanisd Hope to see some happy neighbors! ;)

dng1234
12-30-13, 04:16 AM
Please add me as well! This game is a great time killer between classes and nice break from studying so I play a lot. My ID is Kalanisd Hope to see some happy neighbors! ;)

Go here:
http://forums.storm8.com/forumdisplay.php?110-Castle-Story-Add-Me

Add your name or you can get names from there to add yourself. I also have a post on my in game wall. If I get a random visit from a neighbor of a neighbor or a community stranger and they want to add then they can.

guyrye
12-30-13, 05:09 AM
Add me, I'm active. I only get trades from three of my 54 neighbors. Might be time for clean out.

cherriesx
12-30-13, 06:18 AM
I added a few of you from this thread :) anyone who's active welcome to add me too. Just started playing a couple of weeks ago but am completely hooked and can't wait to get further in the game. Also more than happy to gift according to requests, just drop me a note on my wall.

kooky panda
12-30-13, 10:31 AM
Guys, please do not use this thread as an add me thread. If you need neighbors you can post on an exisiting thread in the add me forum.

kpearson0930
12-30-13, 10:33 AM
I still play!!

jimboser
12-30-13, 02:19 PM
I've tried to prune some inactive neighbors recently, after reading here that the hearts are getting reset, that makes it more of a challenge, and also knowing that the heart meter isn't getting reset until they login... Those were my two main ways of knowing if someone was still there.

I had been relying to some degree on people writing on a wall 'no hearts today' many times before considering that one dead, but that's not possible knowing the above.

Some folks aren't going after the challenges, but if I see some recent items, I at least know they are playing, as of that challenge anyway.

For now, I'm going through and deleting the lower level players, small kingdoms, unless I recall that person visiting lately. If they are active, they can always request me as a friend again, I guess.

I clear out my wall regularly, the only thing it usually says is something like 'gifts returned in the order received, I can only gift 3 per day', just so folks know I will at least try to return gifts when possible.

It's helpful to have your neighbor list pruned so when you have to request help from neighbors for quests, you don't have to worry about inactive players not helping you out, or over requesting things for that reason.

I think a 'Last Active' indicator would be very helpful from a player standpoint, but from a TL standpoint, not so much. I'm sure it would reflect poorly if you kept visiting players and found that none had played in months.

There has to be some better way though...

katbtodd
12-30-13, 02:36 PM
I was,up over two hundred neighbors and clean house before,all these timed up dates started, thinking I'm down under 100 but , thinking a lot more have quit, these time quest are driving people away,,,so many of my neighbors,have unfinished building,,,

dng1234
12-30-13, 07:08 PM
Add me, I'm active. I only get trades from three of my 54 neighbors. Might be time for clean out.

You can only gift to three people per day. Some neighbor may have set up a trade circle with neighbors and only sent items back to certain people. The more important thing is having active neighbors who will respond to requests for items.

Miflatzonet
01-01-14, 04:17 PM
My method of cleaning: I sent out a request to all my neighbours, will write down a list of all those who responded over the next week, and then it's cleaning time!

luckily, I only have 50 neighbours so it shouldn't take more than a week for them all to get that request.

I am getting sick of sending gifts and requests to people who aren't even active... I never quite realized how much influence the social part of the game has over the enjoyment factor till my neighbours started disappearing.

dubbleyooteeyef
01-01-14, 04:29 PM
Many well written games - especially those with a strong social element - have a "last login" field for "friends"
I'm not surprised Team lava don't have this feature.

Also, is there a post for neighbor requests where you can leave your name, or get others who are looking?
Is it bad form to just troll active forum posters and send them requests? ;)

Miflatzonet
01-01-14, 05:24 PM
Many well written games - especially those with a strong social element - have a "last login" field for "friends"
I'm not surprised Team lava don't have this feature.

Also, is there a post for neighbor requests where you can leave your name, or get others who are looking?

there's an "add me" board for every Storm8 game... here's the list to the Castle Story one: :)

dng1234
01-01-14, 06:49 PM

Definitely check out the add me forum. You can grab people from there yourself (Make sure to visit the last pages though - newer posts.) or put a post there for people to send a request you.

I would recommend using the "Add me" instead of just trolling. (You could think of trolling like cold calling.) Some people may not be currently looking for players at the moment. Others, myself included, have added a signature with an okay to send a request/looking for neighbors. In that case, it's okay to send a request.

JustKay
01-02-14, 03:59 AM
As someone that has three accounts, I can confirm that on my 3rd account that I never play (but is neighbored to my main account), it frequently has buildings that are available to be heart collected.

They must do this so that other people are not discouraged. I personally have mostly dead accounts as neighbours. I can't be bothered to clean them out. I suspect that some of these dead account might also auto-accept item requests since I don't have much trouble completing goals.

JustKay
01-02-14, 04:00 AM
I wanted to quit CS a few months back when it was weeks or months between updates. Then they had this mad rush of updates so I got sucked back in... I'm not sure whether to hope they stop or keep em coming :)

jenj1971
01-02-14, 06:49 AM
I am still playing. I respond to any requests very quickly. I have my 3 nbrs that i gift with daily .
I do not visit all of my neighbors any more though....
Are you guys deleting people that don't visit?
I would rather have a neighbor that responds to material requests. The sparkly buildings don't mean that much to me and I don't need the energy from visiting them.

litab16
01-02-14, 06:54 AM
I'm still active and respond to requests regularly. Please add me litab16.

1Murphy1
01-02-14, 07:20 AM
I play regularly , I try to visit neighbors regularly with hearts. I have also been weeding out players that have stopped. One way also to tell besides what they have been doing regularly is to check the wall to see what others are saying

MiniLaura
01-02-14, 09:15 AM
Please do not use this thread as an Add Me thread. The current Add Me thread for Castle Story can be found here (http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?63583-Castle-Story-January-2014).

If people continue to use this as an Add Me thread, we will have to close it for going off topic.

aimeeq
01-02-14, 10:46 AM
A "last login" or "delete account" button would be nice. Maybe even "go inactive" so they just disappear from your neighbors and can reappear if they decide to play again. I had one friend store all his buildings when he stopped playing

BriarAvenue
01-03-14, 02:15 PM
Appreciate if somebody can advise pls.

I visited a neighbor whose place seems to be deserted.
However there were hearts on the sawmills, but the mills were not spinning at all.
Is this situation possible?
I've seen posting elsewhere saying that hearts may re-appear after the player left for a long time,
making the place looks as if it is still active. Don't know if what I saw belongs to this case?
Thx.

jimboser
01-03-14, 03:07 PM
Appreciate if somebody can advise pls.

I visited a neighbor whose place seems to be deserted.
However there were hearts on the sawmills, but the mills were not spinning at all.
Is this situation possible?
I've seen posting elsewhere saying that hearts may re-appear after the player left for a long time,
making the place looks as if it is still active. Don't know if what I saw belongs to this case?
Thx.

From the description, it sounds like the player is inactive. The hearts do pop up on inactive players, since you are seeing these on a mill that isn't spinning, the mill is ready for collection, so the heart here sounds like a good clue that the buildings have cycled due to inactivity.

I'm going to try to spot that on some neighbors this evening and see what I find.

olcastle
01-03-14, 03:45 PM
Don't know if what I saw belongs to this case?
Thx.

It doesn't. It means nobody popped the heart for too long.

BriarAvenue
01-03-14, 11:48 PM
It doesn't. It means nobody popped the heart for too long.

Thank you both. Re Olcastle's response, apart from the sawmills,
there are other symptoms too, e.g. postings on walls are dated over 6 mths ago,
the entire area is literally sparkling, other buildings like the workshop, observatory are still,
planted crops remain the same for a long time.

I try to visit all my neighbors daily so it's not that the hearts were there for the past few days. They show up just today!

dubbleyooteeyef
01-04-14, 04:04 PM
there's an "add me" board for every Storm8 game... here's the list to the Castle Story one: :)

Definitely check out the add me forum. You can grab people from there yourself (Make sure to visit the last pages though - newer posts.) or put a post there for people to send a request you.

I would recommend using the "Add me" instead of just trolling. (You could think of trolling like cold calling.) Some people may not be currently looking for players at the moment. Others, myself included, have added a signature with an okay to send a request/looking for neighbors. In that case, it's okay to send a request.

Please do not use this thread as an Add Me thread. The current Add Me thread for Castle Story can be found here (http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?63583-Castle-Story-January-2014).

If people continue to use this as an Add Me thread, we will have to close it for going off topic.

Thanks guys Ill go check it out.