PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with Living Wood?

olcastle
12-21-13, 02:22 PM
Is anyone still getting living wood from trees?
I've chopped 10 trees and got nothing.
Just few weeks ago 3-5 trees gave away 1 living wood.
Should I continue to waste energy and trees?
Is it a new bug or TL decreased the rate for Christmas?

ETA:

I just want to drop in and say that we absolutely do not change droprates of items based on player inventory, or based on what we are asking for in quests, building construction, or crafts. In general, we don't decrease droprates right before content updates either - in fact, more often than not we INCREASE droprates of items (see: dragon scales, adamant) once we start asking for them in the game.

It can often seem like droprates change because when you're actively trying for something, you pay more attention to how often you get it. Living Wood has a 4% droprate off ALL adult trees - this droprate hasn't changed in over a year. This is pretty rare item - that's 1 in 25 chops! And a little bit of bad or good luck can definitely change how often it's perceived to drop.

Hope this clears things up for you all. Please feel free to PM me if you have questions about specific droprates.

TinksThots
12-21-13, 02:47 PM
Drop rates are known to decrease sharply when you need something, especially when there's a timer involved. I used to get a glimmerdust from about every 3-4 mushroom circles, now I'm barely getting one from every 20. They're trying to force gem purchases, plain and simple. They're getting richer by the day though, so apparently it's working. >:[

HistoryGirl7
12-21-13, 06:54 PM
Yep...I used to always be maxed out and now I'm crafting it. Same with truffles.

vednir
12-21-13, 07:16 PM
Dynamic game balancing of drop rates does not occur in TL games. In other words, random drop rates are not affected by whatever it happens you are working on at that time. At least that's TL's "official" position on this issue.

jimboser
12-22-13, 06:23 AM
My sawmills have stop dropping living wood, I've collected several times recently and gotten none. I have 56 living wood, and keep being maxed on regular wood. I craft logs and things sometimes just to use the excess, not helping.

evritta
12-22-13, 10:52 AM
I want to chime in on this topic. Where has all the Living Wood gone? I use to always be maxed out, now I am lucky if I get 1 a day. I have chopped over 10 trees and 8 dead wood and did not get 1 living tree. My sawmill finally dropped one today. Its the first one I have gotten in days from any source. I am using all my energy to get wood land white petals to make enough for the exchange and this stupid 50 Forever Snow. I have been playing this game since March, I play daily and pay attention. This is not right. No one can tell me the drop rate for Living Wood is the same as it was 4 month ago.

Rockinkitten
12-23-13, 08:13 AM
Same here. Used 40 energy on wood and got not a single living wood.

glimmergate
12-23-13, 10:55 AM
Drop rates are known to decrease sharply when you need something, especially when there's a timer involved. I used to get a glimmerdust from about every 3-4 mushroom circles, now I'm barely getting one from every 20. They're trying to force gem purchases, plain and simple. They're getting richer by the day though, so apparently it's working. >:[

I just want to drop in and say that we absolutely do not change droprates of items based on player inventory, or based on what we are asking for in quests, building construction, or crafts. In general, we don't decrease droprates right before content updates either - in fact, more often than not we INCREASE droprates of items (see: dragon scales, adamant) once we start asking for them in the game.

It can often seem like droprates change because when you're actively trying for something, you pay more attention to how often you get it. Living Wood has a 4% droprate off ALL adult trees - this droprate hasn't changed in over a year. This is pretty rare item - that's 1 in 25 chops! And a little bit of bad or good luck can definitely change how often it's perceived to drop.

Hope this clears things up for you all. Please feel free to PM me if you have questions about specific droprates.

dizzy7373
12-24-13, 12:49 PM

just to clarify the drop rate, is it purely random or do the previous results influence the result?
i.e is every chop a 4% chance or do the odds increase slightly with each subsequent chop?
If the odds do increase then is the algorithm cancelled once a different action is carried out.

A 4% drop rate with a purely random factor could easily lead to a nil drop after 100,000 chops.

TinksThots
12-24-13, 01:01 PM

Thank you for validating my post rather than just deleting it. I study psychology, and I'm familiar with the phenomenon you're referring to - it's the same one that makes people suddenly see a certain make and model of car everywhere once they own one too. I still disagree though, as it's much easier to accumulate hoards of just about anything when the game doesn't currently require it, and it doesn't take near as long to do so, but I'll agree to disagree at this point. Thanks again, I appreciate that you took the time to respond. :-)

MiniLaura
12-24-13, 01:26 PM
just to clarify the drop rate, is it purely random or do the previous results influence the result?
i.e is every chop a 4% chance or do the odds increase slightly with each subsequent chop?
If the odds do increase then is the algorithm cancelled once a different action is carried out.

A 4% drop rate with a purely random factor could easily lead to a nil drop after 100,000 chops.

The odd don't change based on previous actions. So every chop is 4%.

moon331
12-25-13, 02:58 AM

Thank you for the clarification! I have one more question. Is the sap drop rate the same among all the varieties of trees?

glimmergate
12-26-13, 01:45 PM

It rolls every single time, no influence of past or future rolls. Correct - you could get extremely unlucky and roll a negative every time forever.

We're currently working on improving the system to add a guaranteed "cap" on droprates to help prevent "forever unlucky" circumstances like these. Unfortunately I can't comment on when we'll be able to get this in, but I'm hoping it'll make a big improvement on the reliability of drops, from things like Living Wood all the way up to things like the Tablet of Tabernum shards.

glimmergate
12-26-13, 01:48 PM
Thank you for the clarification! I have one more question. Is the sap drop rate the same among all the varieties of trees?

Droprate of sap is the same no matter what tree you cut down. Sap Trees and the Maple Tree are the exception - both drop Sap 100% of the time.

Castloninian
12-26-13, 01:58 PM
Droprate of sap is the same no matter what tree you cut down. Sap Trees and the Maple Tree are the exception - both drop Sap 100% of the time.
So what is the difference between the sap tree and maple tree, if they both drop sap 100% of the time? One was described as low and the other as high. And are they chop down trees or more like the fruit trees where you collect every x hours?

MiniLaura
12-26-13, 02:20 PM
So what is the difference between the sap tree and maple tree, if they both drop sap 100% of the time? One was described as low and the other as high. And are they chop down trees or more like the fruit trees where you collect every x hours?
I don't know why it says "low" and "high." Could just be a error on TL's part.

However, the main difference between the two trees is that the sap tree gets chopped down and the maple tree gets tended. (That means the maple tree works similar to the fruit trees, you water it and it never goes away.)

glimmergate
12-26-13, 02:25 PM

However, the main difference between the two trees is that the sap tree gets chopped down and the maple tree gets tended. (That means the maple tree works similar to the fruit trees, you water it and it never goes away.)

Correct on all counts. We'll fix the text error once the holidays are over :)

Castloninian
12-26-13, 02:26 PM

Thanks. I think read they will amend the description as it is confusing.