PDA

View Full Version : Dear IoS Players w/ Emoji Keyboard:

sharpguy32
11-11-13, 04:00 AM
I am sure most IoS users are unaware that Android users can only see the input symbol icons (generic icons, such as the star, bell, musical notes, etc) when you use your Emoji Keyboard in the game.

Emoji Keyboard are the emote icons that you have on your keyboard (smiley faces, cats, flowers, etc). Android users see most of these emotes as jibberish (except the generic input symbols).

Some players use Emoji icons their Restaurant Name too, which Android users also see as jibberish.

I installed an Emoji keyboard from the Google Play store to create these screenshots. This app allows me to type Emoji icons in a text box on my Android phone.
By Default, Android does not have Emoji Keyboard. They would have to download it. Even then its only partially beneficial to them. This addon allow Android to send all Emoji emotes.
However, if the recipient is an Android user, they could only see Input Symbols (generic icons), not the smiley faces or real picture like icons. If recipient is on IoS, then they would see it correctly. But most Android users aren't even aware of Emoji keyboards. But this is very familiar to IoS users. I did not even know about Emoji icons/keyboards until I started trying to research why I am seeing all these Chinese looking characters on my wall. For the longest, I thought many of my neighbors were speaking a foreign language to me ^_^

If you look at screenshots, highlighted in Green is what you can post on Walls (or use in your Rest. name) that an Android (and of course IoS users) could see (100% compatibility).
Highlighted in Red is what Android users can not see (jibberish), but another IoS user can see.

Screenshot 1: Highlighted in green is what Emoji icons that an Android user can see correctly. In Red are the ones that Android users will see as jibberish.

Screenshot 2: Examples of what Android users see when you post the picture Emoji icons highlighted in Red. This is the daily life of what Android users see every day :(

I'm not trying to be mean to my fellow IoS neighbors and players. I just thought I would take a moment to try to let you all that us Android users don't see the world as gloriously as you do :D
So please refrain from using any symbols that is not hightlighted in Green. We will not recognize them :p

StevenKevin
11-11-13, 07:25 AM
I am a droid myself what is fun is when i get a msg half emoji half real alphabet its totally ununderstandable lol my only suggestion is: if you do expect an answer or send a specific msg dear ios users please just.... write normally. If not im ok with lil squares on my wall lol

ashrb
11-11-13, 10:14 AM
I cannot wait until Android update 4.4, emoji is supposed to finally be supported on our phones.

meme1098
11-11-13, 01:10 PM
I'm sorry... I have IOS and use emoji all the time but I don't know which of my nbrs are android to be honest. I have many that I visit everyday and enjoy their restaurants immensely but I don't know the differences between the 2 in-game.

meme1098
11-11-13, 01:11 PM
I cannot wait until Android update 4.4, emoji is supposed to finally be supported on our phones.

That'll be great! Hope it happens for you guys soon.:cool:

kvoeller
11-11-13, 05:25 PM
Thanks for posting the screenshots :). I've always wondered exactly what it looks like on android. And just an FYI- emoji doesn't come default on any iOS device. iOS users have to download the app as well.

meme1098
11-11-13, 07:04 PM
Nope...it's a keyboard under general settings...no downloading required.

chocodelites
11-11-13, 11:14 PM
I also wondered why I could not read some of my messages, I kinda figured they were from different keyboards then me, but did not know which ones. I don't mind the jibberish, I just now hope no one was ever waiting on a reply from me :eek:

CuteTali
11-12-13, 12:26 AM
Oh thank you for someone to finally put this problem in print for users on both type of devices to understand what things are like on the other side, complete with screenshots, nice work!.

As someone who have played on both devices, I know how fun and incrediably easy it is to put in a little picture icon of rain instead of typing "watered your farm x10", I used to just type 2 characters: the water icon and the number 10 icon (or less, if they didnt have much to water), and the same idea goes to other games too.

But as an android user, I got extremely frustrated for my first 3 monthes playing on a device, that no matter how high and low I looked, I couldn't find any app or update that would let me do the same on android and actually see it for myself, like I used to on ios.

I got so frustrated with the lack of emoji on android that I was seriously thinking to returning it, JUST because of this. I just couldn't imagine the tip-tapping life without all those cute and ever so easy to use little icons.

Now after a whole year of playing on android, I can barely understand anything my neighbours tell me (even though i put a message on all my walls about the switch), so if I see them in history as tipped/watered, i just go and tip/water them back, assuming this is what they were trying to tell me, otherwise I just delete messages and try to keep my walls mostly clear.

Instead of being bitter about the lack of emoji, by now I have learned to appreciate some of the features of android that I didn't have on before ios, such as:

- Getting a few gems for each game whenever a new version comes out. This is a huge deal breaker for me, would've probably tossed my android if it wasn't for that, so thank you TL vety much for this little token of appreciation to your android users.

- Also being able to save older versions of the game with decor items that get removed from the main version of the game. This is a really nice bonus. Often when I get bored with a game, instead of simply deleting it, I go back and install an older version and buy some older decor that I haven't seen in the game for a while, or items that I couldn't afford to buy when they first came out.

These 2 great features have really helped me ease into being an android user and I am thinking of buying another android device and move all my kindle games to it for that reason too, I get to enjoy the game more being able to have a few more gems and spend more gems to decorate more often than I was able to before.

meme1098
11-12-13, 07:33 AM
Thanks for posting the screenshots :). I've always wondered exactly what it looks like on android. And just an FYI- emoji doesn't come default on any iOS device. iOS users have to download the app as well.

There is no need to install anything since the emoji keyboard comes on all IOS devices. Tap settings, general, keyboard, keyboards, add a new keyboard and scroll to emoji and tap to enable it. You can now switch between the qwerty keyboard and emoji.

kvoeller
11-12-13, 05:13 PM
Nope...it's a keyboard under general settings...no downloading required.

Oh sorry, my mistake. This must be only on newer devices because when I deleted my emoji app off my iPhone 5 and my ipad purchased in March, the emoji keyboard disappeared. My sister just got a brand new iPhone 5C two days ago and it did not have an emoji keyboard already installed. We had to download the app first. That's why I thought you had to have the app.

meme1098
11-12-13, 05:54 PM
Oh sorry, my mistake. This must be only on newer devices because when I deleted my emoji app off my iPhone 5 and my ipad purchased in March, the emoji keyboard disappeared. My sister just got a brand new iPhone 5C two days ago and it did not have an emoji keyboard already installed. We had to download the app first. That's why I thought you had to have the app.

You go to settings, general, keyboard, then keyboards, tap add new keyboard and scroll down all the keyboards listed to select emoji. Now you can switch between the keyboards with the globe button next to the number button.

kvoeller
11-12-13, 07:45 PM
Yes, thank you, I know how to set it up I have the emoji keyboard on my devices. All I was saying is that mine did not come equipped with it automatically, an app had to be installed before I could find emoji as an alternate keyboard. As I said in my previous post, maybe this is a feature that came out after I purchased my phone and ipad. Or maybe it came with the iOS 7 update. I don't care how it came about- the bottom line is it wasn't there until I installed the app. Maybe this isn't the case for everyone and I don't really care. I was simply commenting on my own experience and pointing out that it wasn't there for me as an option for an alternate keyboard. I don't need to know how to set it up but maybe someone else will benefit from your post.

meme1098
11-12-13, 07:49 PM
That's weird since it's been integrated since iPhone 4.

minidemon88
11-13-13, 03:27 AM
Oops, being an ios player and a fan of emoji. I've to admit that I love to post messages using emoji. Though I do know android players can't read them, so what I do was to type out my messages as per normal and just use some emoji icons to beautify my post. That's all. XD No complain so far from any of my neighbors. :o

meme1098
11-13-13, 07:30 AM
Oops, being an ios player and a fan of emoji. I've to admit that I love to post messages using emoji. Though I do know android players can't read them, so what I do was to type out my messages as per normal and just use some emoji icons to beautify my post. That's all. XD No complain so far from any of my neighbors. :o

I do exactly the same. My nbrs haven't said anything either but, then again, I'm not sure which ones are android either.

rita6834
11-13-13, 12:32 PM
I'm an android user myself. I have posted on my wall to post normal if you're requesting something or going to be away. Otherwise I really don't mind and they can't blame me if I didn't reply. I also remind nbrs to post normally when telling me their clear. If not it's their loss on tips or water not mine.

kvoeller
11-13-13, 07:09 PM
That's weird since it's been integrated since iPhone 4.

It's really weird lol I must have faulty devices! The really question here is why is apple out to destroy me?!

kvoeller
11-13-13, 07:30 PM
And also, when I reread my other post I realized it sounded incredibly rude. So sorry meme1098- I didn't mean it like that at all.

meme1098
11-13-13, 08:09 PM
Not to worry...I didn't take it that way. I'd take that phone or iPad back to the place you got it and tell them a thing or two. Ha Ha

sharpguy32
11-13-13, 08:58 PM
Its not so annoying anymore now that I know what is going on. As long as I can see an actual message, the funny symbols surrounding it is no problem at all. It was more annoying when I first started playing and I thought either some of my neighbors were speaking a foreign or broken English language. Or this was some sort of secret code or shorthand that only some veteran players knew. The most annoying ones to me is when people mix a word with letters and emotes. Hey ? ? g☺??g tΘ ?end ₧ tod?y ♥♥ . This example is Alt codes, not emoji, but same idea. That example can at least be interpreted, but emoji causes all kinds of random symbols on Android. Those mixed words are the ones that makes me not ☺

Not discouraging anyone to use Emoji, just think about your Android buddies when you do :cool: A regular message with some Emoji surrounding it would be compatible and readable by us and yet give your IoS buddies some pictures at the same time, its win win. Android devices are pretty cheap (starting at 39.99 for a 4.3" tablet), so its a good bet that 70% of your neighbors with be Android vs IoS.

TinksThots
11-14-13, 02:26 AM
I stopped trying to keep track of which nbrs can see emoji & which can't (?・_・`), so I mostly stopped using them, and now my posts are littered with \(^o^)/ and ♪( ?θ`)/ and ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ from the Japanese keyboard instead. {*^_^*}

sharpguy32
11-14-13, 03:31 AM
Ahh, actually those are some all time classics ^_^ . No one can ever complain of those types \o/

meme1098
11-14-13, 10:02 AM
I don't mix up the words of my message. I just add a little emoji to 'pretty' it up
Example-today's message:
��6⃣�� Thoughtful Thursday tips & gift if not full ������ Hope yours is great dear nbr. ������

kvoeller
11-15-13, 06:52 PM
I don't mix up the words of my message. I just add a little emoji to 'pretty' it up
Example-today's message:
��6⃣�� Thoughtful Thursday tips & gift if not full ������ Hope yours is great dear nbr. ������

That's a good way to do it :). I was, unfortunately, one of those idiots who put an emoji in front of their name in BS before I learned android couldn't see it. To make it worse, I didn't put a space in between either so my name got cut off. It looked like []emon instead of lemon. It bothered me so much I had to change it haha. Tough lesson learned.

Tony1Cafe
01-17-14, 06:35 AM
It looks like android KitKat supporting emojis does not make a scrap of difference as TL took out emoji support from the android versions of the games.

I got so frustrated not knowing the names of some of my nbrs bakeries or what they wrote on my wall I stopped playing the games.

Just purchased a new tablet with KitKat, including emoji support, and it's made no difference.

TL need to fix this.

kvoeller
01-18-14, 12:51 PM
It looks like android KitKat supporting emojis does not make a scrap of difference as TL took out emoji support from the android versions of the games.

I got so frustrated not knowing the names of some of my nbrs bakeries or what they wrote on my wall I stopped playing the games.

Just purchased a new tablet with KitKat, including emoji support, and it's made no difference.

TL need to fix this.

Bummer :(. But thanks for keeping us informed.