PDA

View Full Version : Tournament that's fun for more

MakJulos
10-27-13, 01:56 PM
This Nightmare tournament is surely fun and interesting for those who have a few high end dragons and has collected a big pot of gold already, but for casual newbies like myself it's really more a disappointment, at least in long run....starts off fine, but in the end i don't have the equipment or gold to finish it, so MY reward is a family of exhausted dragons lol...

Ok so i knew this, i should not have bothered entering from the start, but battling is fun and the arena ofc gave no option to skip tournament,so....

Anyway, i bet more than i would enjoy a tournament where you could get something nice as reward even if not going all the way- if for example you got a....perhaps "rare" new Gremlin dragon (well, maybe there's already such a dragon out..smthn new anyway, we know they're good at pouring new types out) if winning the 20th fight some could exit competition smiling, while the elite players and the ones who love banging head in wall could continue the battles and hopefully get their super rare Nightmare dragon in the end..

MakJulos
11-14-13, 08:35 AM
Apparently it is of very little interest discussing this idea that could make game more enjoyable for a greater part of the playerbase, hmm...

Ah well, i guess it's not profitable anyway, handing out extra rewards to players who instead could've spent some money on buying gold to get new dragons.....bah, i still think it's a cool idea!:p

MakJulos
11-22-13, 11:43 AM
Being the obviously not so bright person i am i did enter the new tournament, i bred a Diamond by accident and perhaps i thought that would give me chance to actually finish a tournament rather than just waste time and coins, but hmm it doesn't seem quite enough LOL...

So i stick to this idea - nicer tournaments, with rewards also for other than those who want to/can buy or farm gold constantly! Ehmm...now why they bother doing this....nvm, wacky idea! I still like it though, MUHAHAHAA!:D

MakJulos
11-26-13, 01:35 AM
I did actually finish the latest tournament, but it wasn't fun. Didn't spend loads of gold, sped things up here and there to cut down arena cooldown, so no big gold sink....instead i spent time, lots of it, on timing my life so it matched the arenas hours, and on last couple bosses i stayed up til 3.30 at night to make it in time....not really fun.

Up until last hours i felt mostly stressed (silly, i know, it's just a game) and i think i had enjoyed it more if i'd known i already had a new dragon in the bag from doing the tournament, and no matter outcome i bet i'd afterwards had felt more inclined to join another tournament since i had gotten that halfway reward! Just now i'm not sure it was worth it, yes Paladin is cool, but is another new dragon really worth so much stress and pressure to me? I could've made it easier if buying gold to spend on Ultimates and more, but the game really doesn't deserve that just yet, so it wasn't an option. Besides, not even if doing that you're guaranteed anything - a halfway reward in the bag might make up for a lil of post-tournament bitterness?

I imagine that there are players who didn't make it through this last tourney who might be even more determined to beat it next time, but other who spent time and possibly gold and got nothing for it will just skip next one, but maybe they wouldn't, if the tournament had given them something at least...?

I do realize that all events implemented are meant to force players into using gold, preferably buy some of it for real money, and to a point that is all good, there are costs developing- evolving- maintaining a game like this, but must it be so obvious, so "in your face"?

Why not make ppl happy first, without opening their wallet! When you enjoy game, when you have fun spending free time playing- without feeling stressed up because you cannot achieve anything special without having to pay for it - that's when you feel it's ok paying up, because the game deserves it! Oh well, at least i function this way myself...

I believe that a tournament that makes more players happy can be good for everyone involved, a tournament where even newbies can join and get rewarded even if they cannot make it all the way will surely make them stay playing longer - and the longer ppl stay because they enjoy game, the more chance they put some extra dollars in devs pockets! See, WIN-WIN ending!

Ofc some ppl may not even have the money to spend on buying gold in a game, but you still must take care of them too- they're part of the nice community, they're playing with neighbors dragons, they're saying "have a nice day" on your Wall- they're making game more enjoyable for everyone even if not putting money in TL pocket, and if game is enjoyable at least i will stay...and pay? Everyone happy happy!!!

ROFL best quit ranting now, just wanted to bump thread because i still like the idea, sry if it turned into preaching!:eek:

Annica5
11-26-13, 03:55 AM
Once you have a Champion dragon ( I now have 3 ) it gets so much easier to win battles. I finished this last with 30 hrs left, no stress. But I agree it's a hard uphill struggle when u start out in the arena. I know I never would have made it without my helpful nbrs and the forum thread. Glad I've found a game where I don't battle the other players but get cheered by them!

MakJulos
11-26-13, 05:36 AM
Thank you Annica5 for replying. I'm realizing that it's not important to anyone else on forum to make tournaments something that more can take part in and enjoy, i do believe that many players would stay playing longer if they could take part (with an actual chance of gaining from it, perhaps without paying real money even) in ingame events, but i'm used to "ordinary" computer games, MMO's and such, and i guess trying to cater for all players is more of value in that type of games.

As for the difficulties of tournaments i have no doubts that if you get more high-end dragons it will be much easier winning those, it's all about gear and luck,not so much about s****s, so anyone can win if they enjoy game enough to stay until that stage.

And yes, the community is very nice indeed, and surely a big support to many - not many active on forums here, but also in game you constantly stumble over nice and polite strangers. I don't think i've ever seen any type of game having such dedicated players without really doing anything for them.

TinksThots
11-26-13, 11:36 AM
Oh wow, how did I miss this thread?! I love your idea, love it love it love it! I've never won a tournament. I've never spent gold trying, but I don't feel I should have to. The first ones are always easy, but then Tiger's Eye and others like him start to show up, and I exhaust everything I've got trying to take them down, and by the time I do, the tournament is over. I NEVER spend real money on gold, TL can thank their rotten business practices for that, but I might spend some of the gold I've earned in-game on these tournaments if I thought I had a chance at winning anything, ever.

MakJulos, may I add you? {*^_^*}

MakJulos
11-26-13, 01:21 PM
Hiya TinkThots, nice hearing someone else has an actual opinion on this - and even nicer that it's same opinion as mine ofc! Hehe j/k, it'd be nice if even more would think about it, and perhaps comment no matter how they feel about it.

And yes ofc you may add me, thank you!:)

Jesoko
11-26-13, 07:36 PM
I've pretty much given up on the tournaments and battling in general. The promotions don't last long enough for casual players like myself to win any of the dragons that are offered as prizes.

I know that there are plenty of power gamers out there who would argue that they end up with way too many leftover prizes and such, but there are plenty of others who just don't have the time and money to make it in time.

Just so you know where I'm coming from-- I've never won a tournament. I came close when they offered the Spirit Scythes (I really, really wanted the Spirit Dragon) but I got stuck on one of the opponents for literally 3 days and didn't make it. I played at work and almost got written up for having my phone on the floor, and I played during class when I was supposed to be taking notes. It didn't matter. The tournament ended, and one abominable type dragon shut me out for the rest of it.

The only dragon that I have from the battle spoils is the Leviathan, but I'm fairly certain the Pearls were prizes for a much longer time than most of the subsequent crafting items were/are.

And now I've run up against the same problem. I had no time for the tournament, and again, I am being shut out by one of the ice age dragons. None of them have any weaknesses (to dragons you are ALLOWED to use anyway), and I haven't had any luck breeding a diamond type dragon, so I have decided to no longer waste my energy.

It's a shame because it's a brilliant gameplay mechanic, however it seems they are gearing it toward power gamers, and leaving their casual players behind.

MakJulos
12-22-13, 06:24 AM
It's a shame because it's a brilliant gameplay mechanic, however it seems they are gearing it toward power gamers, and leaving their casual players behind.

I do agree about this, i think DS has a few very well thought through mechanics, but i don't think TL has any interest in catering for casual players sadly. They reel you in, and then start the spamming of events all demanding use of gold - unless you can spend all day playing, set alarm to wake up in middle of the night to harvest crops or enter battle arena and such....

I work weekdays and most often i cannot check game every hour, and even if i have done it i think it's wrong allowing a silly app game force me to get up in middle of the night to play...so i really can't expect much success in tournaments or summonings, which is a pity since the game itself is quite nice.

As for the subject of this thread i don't expect there to ever be some checkpoint reward in tournaments - i do think it would make more players stay playing, and likely get a bunch of players hooked enough to start spending gold in game just because TL actually did something nice for the average player too, but i think they prefer a more instant cashflow so it won't happen.

Failing badly in the ongoing tournament and summoning, which is proving once again that DS isn't a relaxing and fun game for casual players, well, at least not the events. The rest is quite ok- i like the breeding system, the feeding, this new mining thing can be a nice bonus too, so i'll stay playing, but skipping the events because they aren't really for casual players anyway. I think i'll enjoy Dragon Story a lot more if i spend less time playing it.

MakJulos
01-18-14, 02:11 AM
Yet another tournament ongoing, and i'm failing it - i understand that one either must have a big batch of dragons to use and also spend gold to speed up/use "ultimates", or have loads of time to spend babysitting arena to fight most hours -i'm not disappointed that much really since most often i only can play on weekends, but again it makes me think about how nice it would be with tournaments that more can enjoy. I'll most likely get nothing out of this one, so if there had been some kind of "checkpoint reward" somewhere in middle of it.... Oh well, not holding my breath - why would TL reward players for taking part and go halfway, when they can make money on us buying gold to get all the way to the end.... Still, it'd been a nice thing to do....

squirrel1411
01-20-14, 09:28 PM
I totally understand and agree with you! The tournament can be totally frustrating! I spent lots of gold trying to finish it, but it was all worthless! This frustration takes the fun out of the game. Something should be done to help the beginner players to get further into the tournaments without spending so much on gold, or find another way to get gold!!

rissah
02-18-14, 07:44 PM
I would also make the champions have a stronger chance of winning at the higher levels. I have Immortal, Ninja, Amazon, Warden, Dynasty and all are constantly being beat by something like "Level 12 Coral." I mean, really? Why are they champions if they constantly lose haha.