PDA

View Full Version : Un-doing The Hacker Damage - An Idea

MediusSyberia
10-21-13, 02:08 AM
Unlike some of the older hacks (crown boosting, etc.) which only benefit the hackers, the latest hacks also cost innocent players a lot of crowns, coins and spellstones as well as a bit of time in trying to get them back.

I'm not sure what tools Storm8 support staff and community managers have access to when it comes to reviewing and/or banning hackers. However I do have a few ideas that might make the process easier if the developers were able to code a few things.

1) Currently it seems when a player is banned for hacking in a way that costs others crowns and resources (like the the <50% win hack used by sose and many others recently), all the people who have lost crowns need to individually contact support with proof to get these crowns back. It would be much easier when you ban a player if you had an option to reverse the wins the hacker had within a specified time period. E.g. sose is found hacking wins from date x to date y so when you ban his account you choose to reverse all attacks between dates x & y and anyone who lost an attack to him during that date range automatically gets the crowns & resources they lost back.

This would save support getting overloaded with a bunch of emails and having to investigate each individual case. It would also result in people getting their crowns back much faster and so there would be less anger/frustration/etc.

2) Following on from the above, a prompt in game to notify the user of this could also be beneficial. Some people win/lose a lot of crowns daily so trying to keep check of whether or not crowns have been refunded can be quite difficult sometimes. Instead when you reverse a players battles, anyone affected could get a popup message next time they open KC advising them that they're been given back x crowns and y resources.

3) Rather than wait for everyone to complain about hackers via forum, email, etc. why not add an option to report a suspicious replay? You already have a report button in chat... you could add another one next to replays. To avoid overload when a replay is reported it should create a file for that player and each new report adds to that players file. This way if 1 person reports player A and 1000 people report player B, support can see this and review player B's account first for suspicious activity (as well as having easy access to the replays in question).

As for people going silly with this, just like you have a warning that reporting legitimate chat could have account consequences, you could do the same thing here. If a player reports an obviously innocent person you could warn them once/twice/whatever. If they continue then a simple "ban user from reporting replays" button for a period of time would stop supports time being wasted reviewing silly reports.

4) Going one step further, rather then waiting for people to report *****ers why not try implementing a few behind the scenes monitoring features that automatically flag suspicious accounts for review? If you did this hackers may be able to be caught much sooner and before the damage has been done.

One example is looking at the Top 50 list where the minimum crowns to get on it is around 1600 and the average rank for the guys with 1600+ crowns is roughly 40-45+. Many of the top is 50 is ranks 5x/6x and some at the top are 71. However you'll notice there is currently 3 guys in the Top 50 who are only on ranks 20, 25 and 35. 2 of these 3 have already been reported by several people for hacking with proof (while the 3rd account looks mighty suspicious). This seems to be a continuous occurrence... hackers regularly go up the rankings very fast even with a really low rank and a very bad un-upgraded base.

To combat this, you could monitor and automatically flag/report for further review any accounts who either 1) made it into the top 50 or to a crown level where their rank is well below the average of other peoples with the same number of crowns (e.g. flagging rank 5's with 800 crowns or rank 20's with 1600+ crowns and 2) flag accounts whose crowns have risen dramatically yet their base upgrades haven't and are still very low level (e.g someone with 2 army posts and lvl 2 barracks who suddenly ends up on 1000+ crowns within a day or 2).

If you did those 2 things you would probably have caught all the hackers we are complaining about before they end up in the top 20 and did the damage they did (and still continue to do). As well as catching them earlier you'd also only have to push one button (if your devs coded the above) to ban them, reverse their attacks and refund the innocent players who lost crowns & resources. This would reduce the complaints and save you guys a lot of time dealing with all the angry support requests that come in later.

Anyway just my 2 cents. Hope you guys might be able to discuss and potentially do something similar to the above :cool:

goddessnikole
10-21-13, 02:58 AM
OK how do I take a screenshot?

MediusSyberia
10-21-13, 03:03 AM
OK how do I take a screenshot?

What device are you on?

If you're on an iOS device hold down the power button and quickly push the home button once to take a screenshot. You should see your screen flash white and the screenshot of your screen will be saved into your camera roll. I normally upload mine to ImageShack or similar because if you post the image directly on here it gets resized too small to see the whole thing.

Also if you do take screenshots please post them in the hackers thread so it's all in the one place for Storm8 staff to see here: http://forum.storm8.com/showthread.php?59050-Major-Hacks-Updates-Needed/

goddessnikole
10-21-13, 04:36 AM
Thanks will do

flimsyweak
10-21-13, 09:47 AM
Over 200 players downloaded the hack for this game and more and more coming to download it everyday. Unless they patch the game for that hack, banning the players will just be temporary...

MediusSyberia
10-21-13, 12:22 PM
Over 200 players downloaded the hack for this game and more and more coming to download it everyday. Unless they patch the game for that hack, banning the players will just be temporary...

Yeah I'm hoping they patch it as well. But people may still find new hacks or variations of them so I think it is important to have a system in place to quickly stop hackers and to easily be able to undo the damage they cause. Right now for every hacked attack (about 30 seconds worth of effort) it's taking multiple people tens of minutes to deal with per attack (by the time you add up taking screenshots, uploading, contacting someone, they investigate, crowns are returned, etc.).

Further to my idea above we had a perfect example tonight. Bacteria69 has gone from rank 10 to rank 12 with a very low-level badly designed base yet over the last few hours his crowns have gone from ~1200 to ~1400 and currently on ~1562. If you implement the system I mentioned above his account would of been flagged before he even got to 1200 crowns because no other rank 10's are even 1000+ crowns let alone 1200-1500.

You can take it one step further as well. If an account is automatically flagged for suspicious activity, temporarily disable their ability to attack or be attack until the account is reviewed. If you did this with bacteria he would of been flagged and attack blocked over 500 crowns ago. Upon review he obviously would of been banned (if you haven't seen his replays his another attack with a small army, do very low % damage and win after 30 seconds guys).

Since he wasn't his flagged/attack blocked, his since hacked over 15-20 attacks and now quite a few of us are going to need to contact you guys to get crowns returned :(

maguar
10-21-13, 03:23 PM
I know you've now seen this post but in case anyone else hasn't

Just wanted to update everyone that we've just checked the reported players in this thread and have taken appropriate actions. Please also know that we're working on tools that will automatically revert any of your battles against these offending players. We really appreciate your patience during this time and please keep reporting any players who look suspicious!

FrozenTurtle
10-21-13, 03:38 PM
Thanks for this great feedback, MediusSyberia!

I've shared these ideas with the team and they are definitely interested in some of these. I'll provide an update for everyone when I can. Thanks! :D

heidisthebest
10-22-13, 06:54 PM
I loose crowns even if i didnt battle. Does it have to do with attacking same person in one day? What are our options if the game itself gives same person several times match in a day?

Chianti
10-23-13, 09:40 AM
Something, anything needs to be done. This hack (10 second battle, 1-3% damage win for the attacker) has been around for well over a month now. They still have't fixed the bug. Instead, they deal with the hackers on an individual basis. I brought two up in the forums, and they dealt with them immediately. I commend storm8 for that. However, if you don't submit a complaint, you're not going to get reimbursed. Allowing this hack to continue is tantamount to condoning theft. These people exploiting the bug are stealing from us, some of whom actually pay for this game, so they are stealing real life money. Before this becomes a class action lawsuit, I seriously suggest storm8 shut down the servers. Give the developers the time they need to isolate the bug and fix it, then bring the servers back on.

FrozenTurtle
10-23-13, 10:36 AM
Something, anything needs to be done. This hack (10 second battle, 1-3% damage win for the attacker) has been around for well over a month now. They still have't fixed the bug. Instead, they deal with the hackers on an individual basis. I brought two up in the forums, and they dealt with them immediately. I commend storm8 for that. However, if you don't submit a complaint, you're not going to get reimbursed. Allowing this hack to continue is tantamount to condoning theft. These people exploiting the bug are stealing from us, some of whom actually pay for this game, so they are stealing real life money. Before this becomes a class action lawsuit, I seriously suggest storm8 shut down the servers. Give the developers the time they need to isolate the bug and fix it, then bring the servers back on.

We currently are only restoring these losses for players who report, BUT we are working on tools that can automatically restore losses for every player affected by players who we ban. Please know that we are working on these fixes! :)

CSoro
10-24-13, 02:27 AM
I was hit by JerryCuechill with 41 warriors. I lost 33 crowns with only 7% damage.
I have a video of attack. Just trying to figure out how to get it on forum. Is there an email address to send evidence to

CSoro
10-24-13, 05:45 AM
Hope you can see this vimeo link of the attack on me using 41 warriors and causing 7% damage! costing me 33 crowns by JerryCuechill in the Braveheart clan