PDA

View Full Version : How to get to level 75 ? a guide to moving up in the levels

couch farmer
07-12-10, 07:37 AM
I?ve been asked the same question a lot recently. Can?t post long guidebooks on everyone?s wall, so will refer people here.

Basics
Every item has a coin value and an XP value. I?ll be referring only to crops (with a tiny reference to decorations in the last section). Coins are great, but to move up in the levels, you?ll need the XP. I?ve been asked what my ?secret? was. Simple ? the secret is: it?s all in the numbers.

Crop value - coins / XP
The specified coins/XP/time for an item is actually not the final number of coins or XP you?ll get for seeding it in your farm. You will need to consider the plowing of the ground as well. That?s 10 coins less, and 1 XP more than the given data. Time, too doesn?t take into account the plow-seed-harvest time. That?s only about 1-2 seconds per plot, but amounts to considerable time on large farms (was the 22X22 expansion really necessary? :)) and should also be considered carefully with the short-term crops.
Note that for crops growing for 1 day or more, the last day is actually 22 hours long. This is only one of MANY brilliant UI features the Farm Story has ? if you can only log on once a day at the same time, your crops will be ready and waiting for you, even if it took you several minutes to seed them the previous day.
So, considering the XP from all sources, short-term crops will always yield more XP points than crops taking longer to grow. The same is almost true for coins, with a few exceptions, so here?s a quick-list of crops from the most profitable to the less profitable:
Raspberry, Strawberry, Cranberry, pineapple, Squash (6 hours that yields more coins per day than 3-hour Cantaloupe, and 4-hour blackcurrent!) coffee (if you don?t have it yet, broccoli is great too), soy, okra, quinoa.
Note that there are no profitable 12 and 16-hour crops. Broccoli yields per plot at least as much as crops of this time period, and Soy yields much more. If you?re away for up to 15 hours, seed coffee/broccoli ? it won?t wither. If you?re away for longer, seed soy. Same goes for the beautiful rice. Can?t help it. If all you want is more coins and you?re away for 3 days or more, quinoa is a better choice.

Neighbours and watering

A watered plot will give 20 more coins and an extra XP when harvested. Note that both the coins and XP are lost if not reaching harvest (either selling it before harvest or letting it wither). Watering is a nice option and a good way to be nice to people, but if you have a ripe crop that has not been watered, don?t wait with the harvest (have actually seen people do it). One round of strawberries (5 minutes) or two rounds of raspberry (2 minutes) on the vacated plot will give you the lost coins and double the lost XP.
The watering option is more relevant for the longer-term crops than for the short-term ones. Even the best neighbours will not be able to cover a vast field of strawberries in 5 minutes. If you?re a heavy waterer/wateree (??) than these coins and XP should also be considered when deciding which crops to seed. For example, while one round of squash is marginally more profitable than two rounds of cantaloupes, with double the potential water, the cantaloupes become more profitable.

expansions
If you can expand, do it! No, seriously. If coins and XP are what you?re interested in, expand as soon as the option is available to you and you have enough coins. The bigger your farm is, the more crops you can grow, the more productive it is. Of course, better leave a few coins aside for plowing and seeding the new bought area, but even if you forget to put aside the coins for the seeds you want, don?t worry about it. Another great thing about this game is that you have very-short-term crops that cost nothing. Just seed-harvest a few rounds of raspberries, and you?re good to go. Moreover, even if you don?t have the coins to plow the ground (honestly!) Just come back to the farm after midnight Pacific, and you?ll get bonus coins that will keep you going (great UI experience. did I mention it?).

Skipping levels
Several of my neighbours have noticed that I skipped straight from level 72 to 75. To everyone who asked ? you did not imagine it. A good way to collect a lot of XP at once is to buy high-XP property. That?s what the remaining coins are for. Now, if you?re done climbing up the levels and you have the time to decorate (I don?t, at the moment :( ) then you can keep the stuff. Otherwise, sell it. The XP will stay with you. For that jump from 72 to 75, over 100 gazeboes paid with their lives. Of all the decorations, gazeboes, lantern and wood piles give the best XP/coins ratio. Of the crops, seeding and then selling rice gives a better XP/coins ratio, but that?s A LOT of rice to buy and sell to skip over the high levels.

Final words
There is no right way or wrong way to play Farm Story (except leaving profanities on ppl?s walls. ahha!) This is the way I?ve been playing so far, mainly because I?m impatient. I see beautiful farms out there at level 30-35, and I?m a little jealous. Will probably decorate my own farm as soon as Real Life relents its pressure a little. In the mean time, bought me a doggy. So be sure to give him a good petting if you?re around :)

couch farmer
07-12-10, 07:39 AM
forgot to mention it :)

Chezzik
07-12-10, 08:39 AM
Of all the decorations, gazeboes, lantern and wood piles give the best XP/coins ratio.

That line there is the kind of information I expected to find it the guide. I have a few other questions though.

Did you plant rice and than immediately sell it, just so you could plant rice again? I don't completely understand your wording there. Is this more cost effective than gazebos?

What have you been growing as your primary crop? My guess is that you got quite a few levels from just growing raspberries, but if you did it all with pineapples or yellow squash, I'd like to know :)

For those of you who want actual numbers, d3lta made a nice spreadsheet for XP/cash comparisons here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AqrzMi3ftfV3dFNwSTU5OUlzNlBhLURVbWh3WlRwb 3c&hl=en#gid=0

From his spreadsheet, there are only 11 crops that produce more than 0.25XP / hour. Here they are:
14.40 XP/hr strawberry (1 min)
13.85 XP/hr raspberry (5 min)
3.60 XP/hr cranberry (30 min)
1.89 XP/hr pineapple (1 hr)
0.65 XP/hr cantaloupe (3 hr)
0.65 XP/hr carrot (3 hr)
0.50 XP/hr yellow squash (6 hr)
0.50 XP/hr cabbage (6 hr)
0.49 XP/hr blackcurrant (4 hr)
0.37 XP/hr broccoli (8 hr)
0.37 XP/hr grape (8 hr)

Chezzik
07-12-10, 09:58 AM
Did you plant rice and than immediately sell it, just so you could plant rice again? I don't completely understand your wording there. Is this more cost effective than gazebos?

I just realized that you did answer the second question. Planting/selling rice IS more cost effective than gazebos, but very time consuming. I guess my reading comprehension is just poor :)

TongaTom
07-12-10, 10:09 AM
I'm definitely one of the "Beautiful Farm" people, as couch farmer puts it. Or at least I try to set out different 'spaces' on my farm. I now have the new BBQ on my patio, with a novelty coconut tree shaped patio heater!

But I'm also trying to level up. So I did a spreadsheet of my own (no disrespect to anyone who's done one, but I like tinkering) to find the best crops for the times I can plant and harvest. After saying that, I often plant lower yield crops to break the boredom and add a splash of different colour.

Heck, I even planted a rose!

Unregistered
07-12-10, 12:33 PM
Skipping levels
Several of my neighbours have noticed that I skipped straight from level 72 to 75. To everyone who asked ? you did not imagine it. A good way to collect a lot of XP at once is to buy high-XP property. That?s what the remaining coins are for. Now, if you?re done climbing up the levels and you have the time to decorate (I don?t, at the moment :( ) then you can keep the stuff. Otherwise, sell it. The XP will stay with you. For that jump from 72 to 75, over 100 gazeboes paid with their lives. Of all the decorations, gazeboes, lantern and wood piles give the best XP/coins ratio. Of the crops, seeding and then selling rice gives a better XP/coins ratio, but that?s A LOT of rice to buy and sell to skip over the high levels.

How did I NOT think about this ? of course that IS what I can do with all these coins !!!! thanks !!!

Unregistered
07-13-10, 08:00 PM
Anyone knows how much you get back when u sell decorations n crops? Is it a certain percentage of the original cost? I don't have THAT many coins to spare to buy n sell gazebos to level up. Just wondering if anyone has an eye on the figures...
Thanks in advance and happy farming! I'm addicted to the game... Hahaha

Hawk 8
07-13-10, 11:07 PM
Anyone knows how much you get back when u sell decorations n crops? Is it a certain percentage of the original cost? I don't have THAT many coins to spare to buy n sell gazebos to level up. Just wondering if anyone has an eye on the figures...

After reading this thread I bought a couple of gazebos and sold them and I got back 2400 for each gazebo. I thought you got back half your money, but you dont.

couch farmer
07-14-10, 06:21 AM
[QUOTE=Chezzik;3203]
What have you been growing as your primary crop? My guess is that you got quite a few levels from just growing raspberries, but if you did it all with pineapples or yellow squash, I'd like to know :)

When I had the time - raspberries and strawberries. When I had less time - just according to how long I thought it would take me to get back to the farm, in the order I mentioned.

As for seeding and selling crops - strawberries give the highest XP/coins ration - 1 XP for 5 coins, but if you have the time to deal with strawberries, jou might as well just let them grow :)

Rice would give 6 XP / 80 coins, which is a very good ration. For the last 30,000 XP jump I could have planted 5,000 rice plots and paid 400,000 coins instead of the 1,760,000 coins I paid for the gazeboes (58.67 conis per XP), but even if a single plot takes only 2 seconds to seed, sell and replow, that would mean nearly 3 hours. Didn't have the time or the patience, but had the coins :)

As for your comment about the things you expected to find - I take it that you're a very advanced user. This guide was meant mainly for those rather beginning guys who were wondering why they were not advancing even though they had fields full of the high-X crop - quinoa. Still hope there was some useful information for you too :)

Unregistered
07-15-10, 12:15 PM

Actually, I did a test the other night, bought all the decorations and sold them all. So I ahve that list somewhere (but not with me now). I will try to post later.

Unregistered
07-15-10, 12:20 PM
That line there is the kind of information I expected to find it the guide. I have a few other questions though.

For those of you who want actual numbers, d3lta made a nice spreadsheet for XP/cash comparisons here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AqrzMi3ftfV3dFNwSTU5OUlzNlBhLURVbWh3WlRwb 3c&hl=en#gid=0

From his spreadsheet, there are only 11 crops that produce more than 0.25XP / hour. Here they are:
14.40 XP/hr strawberry (1 min)
13.85 XP/hr raspberry (5 min)
3.60 XP/hr cranberry (30 min)
1.89 XP/hr pineapple (1 hr)
0.65 XP/hr cantaloupe (3 hr)
0.65 XP/hr carrot (3 hr)
0.50 XP/hr yellow squash (6 hr)
0.50 XP/hr cabbage (6 hr)
0.49 XP/hr blackcurrant (4 hr)
0.37 XP/hr broccoli (8 hr)
0.37 XP/hr grape (8 hr)

You have to distinguish whether you are going to GROW the crop or just sell after planting !

For instance, say you plant corn. Planting corn will cost 45 and give you 5 of XP (including plowing). A 6x5 area will therefore give you 150 of XP for a cost of 1,350. If you sell the corn instead of waiting for it to grow (one full day), you can get 150 XP in one minute... You can get the 300 of XP that the gazebo gives for a fraction of the cost (2,700 coins instead of 20,000).

So, not all XP is equal. To grow, raspberries and starwberries are the best, To just grab the XP, do corn (and not rice as I saw earlier).

Unregistered
07-28-10, 12:47 PM
http://forums.teamlava.com/showthread.php?598-Sales-price-for-decoration-anf-other-items-that-give-XP-(ie-not-trees-or-flowers)

noget
07-29-10, 05:34 AM
Another tip to farming.

You can probably tap faster than a square/plot is harvested/plowed/seeded.
So when you have marked up an area, press the top right sleep/wake button on the iPhone to turn of the screen.
Immediate reactivate an unlock the screen.
All the remaining squares will be instantly harvested/plowed/seeded. Saves some time :-)

I recommend that you only go up to 10x10 squares/plots at a time. More than that the app, in my experience, tend to crash to often.

My harvest/plow/seed rutine for a 10x10 area:
I start from the bottom harvesting back and forth.
When I reach the top the bottom 3-4 rows are ready to be plowed.
I mark the bottom 5 rows for plowing. Usually the top 5 rows is still unharvested at this time.
Then i turn on/off the screen. top 5 rows is harvested and bottom 5 rows is plowed.
I mark the top 5 rows for plowing
Again starting from the bottom going back and forth I plant my selected crop.
Usually I get to mark the last plot just at it was plowed.
Now the whole 10x10 area is marked for seeding and again screen off-on finishes the seeding in an instant.

Happy Farming.

Unregistered
07-29-10, 06:35 AM
Another tip to farming.

So when you have marked up an area, press the top right sleep/wake button on the iPhone to turn of the screen.
All the remaining squares will be instantly harvested/plowed/seeded. Saves some time :-)

I recommend that you only go up to 10x10 squares/plots at a time. More than that the app, in my experience, tend to crash to often.

I mark the bottom 5 rows for plowing. Usually the top 5 rows is still unharvested at this time.
Then i turn on/off the screen. top 5 rows is harvested and bottom 5 rows is plowed.
Now the whole 10x10 area is marked for seeding and again screen off-on finishes the seeding in an instant.

Happy Farming.

Great tip. I usually visit a neighbor to accelerate, I never thought about the sleep button.

noget
07-29-10, 07:39 AM
Great tip. I usually visit a neighbor to accelerate, I never thought about the sleep button.

I think the big advantage with the sleep button is that you retain focus.
If I visit a neighbour and hit the home icon I'll have to pan and zoom to get back to the area I'm working on.

I have'nt experimented with other possibilities. The sleep button trick works very well for me.

Blessing Star
07-29-10, 10:36 PM
Another tip to farming.

Happy Farming.

Thats a Great Tip noget. THANKYOU for shareing; I have used it many times now.

Unregistered
07-31-10, 09:50 AM
forgot to mention it :)

Xp needed for 75?

Pitoo
08-01-10, 12:50 PM
Hi,

I've updated my spreadsheet to help me coose best crop or best item for XP :

this way : (bottom of page)
http://www.pitoo.com/fs/

enjoy !