PDA

View Full Version : A question.. Why do some neighbors refuse to do goals?

tehbaker
07-06-13, 12:19 AM
:confused: Alright.. something is stumping me as of late. I realize that this game is different for everyone and each person has their own personal goal in mind. For many it's cooking every single recipe that exists in BS. Others it's having a gorgeous bakery or tons of money. What I can't grasp is that some of my neighbors have suddenly decided to quit doing any and all goals - even those that offer new appliances. Considering many of these appliances are once they're gone they're gone types of goals, I can't imagine why they'd want to forego these goals even if they just get ONE of the appliance.

Granted, my playstyle is simply to master every. single. goshdang. recipe. Some other ideas I've come up with as to why neighbors refuse goals:

1. Money - especially for new players. Some are expensive, some require gems but the majority do not.
2. Expansions - considering TL's extortionate rate for expansions (seriously TL?!) neighbors might be saving up for expansions instead
3. Time - many people don't have enough time to complete so why waste money and time and start it?

It's hard for me to come to terms with those that may say it's because they're trying to master their other recipes. I have every single appliance TL has released in BS, I go to work and college full-time and I only have four recipes yet to master.. I've done every goal along the way.

So, BS enthusiasts, why do you (or your neighbor, if you know?) refuse to do goals? I'm curious, no argument here it's just baffling ;)

tennysonrobin
07-06-13, 02:14 AM
I don't know either hahah. Personally I think it's okay for you to still do goals while you're busy, because they have plenty of time for each one, more than 30 days. And how long does it really take to tap a couple of times everyday? This is not like a time-consuming game, unless you are redecorating at some points.

Maybe it's the way they play the game. Maybe they don't like the new items (for them a place full of tables like floor tiles is enough XD), or are fed up with asking nbrs for parts to build goals' appliances (just like 1 of my friends), or get tired of completing goals in time/wasting coins to buy many useless items that they don't really need.

At first I felt the same too! I felt like the goals were not worth it, I had a little money and almost no gems, and only a few nbrs, so I skipped so many goals back then... I can only remember the Xmas goal with those reindeers and Santa's house as the final goal. I had no idea about decorating my bakery, so all these items didn't mean that much to me. But now, of course goals are what I live for. I think some people will feel the same when they reach really high level. They will feel like there's nothing to do more because they conquer everything (?) I just think this game is about being creative, not conquering and with people having such attitude towards BS, it's not that surprising to me if they quit doing goals :P It's okay though, it's the way they play it, it doesn't affect me much as long as they're still good nbrs and keep sending me things I request them to :)

villeroy
07-06-13, 03:14 AM
If I skip a goal or quit it after some steps, that's simply because I don't like the items or the recipes! Nothing more :) Some recipes are not so attractive even though they are from goal appliance. I don't mind to not master all recipes, that's why :)

lolzillaz
07-06-13, 08:45 AM
If the appliances unlock recipes that are useful (higher profit/serving or higher profit/hour) I think there would be more reasons to unlock them. Unlocking just because you can (and you get pretty decorations that you have no space to display anyway) not that motivational.

nky1111
07-06-13, 08:46 AM
they probably already have enough stuff in the storage to fill the whole bakery 5 times over))) because it's so hard to expand here

AdorkableGeek
07-06-13, 09:51 AM
When I first started playing I didn't bother with the goals because BS was only going to be casual gaming for me. Then one day I decided to complete a task because it was bugging me that there were unfinished goals. :P Unfortunately I left it a little too late and thus the 'tres leches cake' is stuck on 'goal'. == I guess people just want to play the game casually without it feeling like a chore, others may not know the goodies that come with completing goals or think for what you receive it's not worth the coins/gems you spend.

KeriBeri71
07-06-13, 10:25 AM
I think EVERYONE would do goals if we could earn gems!!! I mean all that work in RS for a cheezy petting zoo??? Seriously....

tehbaker
07-06-13, 02:37 PM
TL does seem to listen to some of our suggestions - granted not the crazy important ones like food quantity expansion costs.. but would it be worthwhile to suggest a goal overhaul to them?

I can definitely understand the game feeling like a chore. I have a lot of neighbors and I've had to reduce my time on other games because with school and work I could only focus on one game. Since I loved BS so much I made the choice to go with that one. Tipping alone takes at least 45 minutes a day for me minus the time I need to do goals..

I suppose it really comes down to playstyle then. A lot of the goal recipes are not great at profit per serving, most of the old time oven ones are and some drink mixers, I can understand why some would think it's a waste.

Thanks for the comments :)

lolzillaz
07-06-13, 07:25 PM
To expand now you need to spend money on gems. The pricing structure spells that out rather clearly.

KeriBeri71
07-06-13, 07:29 PM
To expand now you need to spend money on gems. The pricing structure spells that out rather clearly.
No doubt....my Bakery is already max expansion but my restaurant is not but i REFUSE to spend gems to expand so im stuck doing ALOT of redecorating/rotating out my cooler large items...frustrating

tehbaker
07-06-13, 11:19 PM
No doubt....my Bakery is already max expansion but my restaurant is not but i REFUSE to spend gems to expand so im stuck doing ALOT of redecorating/rotating out my cooler large items...frustrating

Yeah.. I really wish I thought expanding was more important earlier on. I'd have been able to do it but I wanted to save my coin - no idea why - now I regret it >.<

lolzillaz
07-08-13, 02:10 PM
Expansion for me just means more table space for more tip space so not incredibly important. I'm just getting started so money for goals is low priority, I want to max out my appliance slots first. =-O

islanddoll1
07-08-13, 02:51 PM
I have alot of nbrs that dont do goals too. I can't stand the idea of locked decor in my decor tab so I do the goals even though I rarely decorate with goal prizes. The only goal I didn't do was last year halloween. It just wasn't worth it, seeing as we don't celebrate halloween where I'm from and it was just too expensive to complete.

rosewaterlily
07-08-13, 03:10 PM
I didn't do two of the Halloween goals because I was a lower level player then and low on coins and thought the counters we had to buy were hideous and expensive. Don't really care for the pirate decor, but I figure I'll want to master the recipes eventually anyway so might as well do the goal in the meantime so there are fewer locked things in my decor tab. I'll display the goal item for the month and then get rid of it for next month's goal item. :P

romanian6
07-08-13, 03:37 PM
Well....maybe they don't like the theme...I don't want to do the pirates goal, because pirates are just plain ugly to stick in my bakery.l

knittingneedles
07-09-13, 11:04 AM
I rarely do the goals, mostly because my bakery is so theme specific that I can't see spending the time and money for things that I don't like or want. However, I know that most of my neighbors do the goals so I make sure to gift out current parts.

LuneyLuna13
07-09-13, 11:37 AM
I quit if it gets to expensive, but I usually at least give it a try. Ive also been busy and missed goals and that suuuucks.

arijanian
07-09-13, 01:42 PM
If the design elements and recipes in a goal appeal to me, I'll happily do it - but if they're not really my thing, I'm perfectly content to play "normally" for the month. I've got a lot of recipes to master, after all! :)

The teashop decorations and recipes went very well with the style of my bakery, so I completed the full set of goals, but the pirate decorations don't match at all and I don't like the oven design very much, so I'm bowing out this month. Like knittingneedles said, though, I do try to gift currently-popular parts.

CuteTali
07-09-13, 03:32 PM
Here is my answer to the question in the first post: It's summertime.

Most people are busy with all the many activities and events that happen during summer and don't have time to play much and if they do, they don't have time to do goals, so they probably stick to some of the longer recipes so they don't have to babysit the shops and visit the game more frequently than their time allows.

I'm sure that when fall comes around people will get back into the games, I see it not just in these games, but in others too, people leave or play minimaly during the summer then come back fulltime around the time when school starts.

tehbaker
07-14-13, 04:15 PM
Here is my answer to the question in the first post: It's summertime.

Most people are busy with all the many activities and events that happen during summer and don't have time to play much and if they do, they don't have time to do goals, so they probably stick to some of the longer recipes so they don't have to babysit the shops and visit the game more frequently than their time allows.

I'm sure that when fall comes around people will get back into the games, I see it not just in these games, but in others too, people leave or play minimaly during the summer then come back fulltime around the time when school starts.

That's a good reason I hadn't thought of as well. I usually see that most of my neighbors go fully or partially MIA during the summer - which is fine. I'll have to keep notice once fall rolls around if my neighbors continue to ignore goals or ask for food/normal parts instead. Some of my neighbors get downright nasty about it. It's a bit annoying when I get message on my wall saying to give food until new parts are released. A goal will come out with new parts, so obviously, I will send out a slew of new parts... then I get angry messages saying STOP GIVING ME GOAL PARTS! Well sorry but TL only seems to release new appliances with new parts through goals.. So how am I supposed to know? Picky picky.. lol

TinksThots
07-14-13, 06:07 PM
That's a good reason I hadn't thought of as well. I usually see that most of my neighbors go fully or partially MIA during the summer - which is fine. I'll have to keep notice once fall rolls around if my neighbors continue to ignore goals or ask for food/normal parts instead. Some of my neighbors get downright nasty about it. It's a bit annoying when I get message on my wall saying to give food until new parts are released. A goal will come out with new parts, so obviously, I will send out a slew of new parts... then I get angry messages saying STOP GIVING ME GOAL PARTS! Well sorry but TL only seems to release new appliances with new parts through goals.. So how am I supposed to know? Picky picky.. lol
Don't let them get to you... This is YOUR game, you're playing for YOUR enjoyment, so don't let others dictate how YOU play. They don't like your gift? That's why there's a Decline button, so they can wait for something they do want. If you have nbrs that are hurting your feelings, ditch 'em! You're not supposed to feel bad playing your game! That's why I stay under 40 nbrs, and my list has been the same for a long time, so I know them all by shop name - some get capps, some get parts (basic or new), some change their wall post of what they want every day, and it's a lot of effort to reach that happy point, but it's SO worth it! :D

Anyway, I never miss the chance to get a new appliance, because every new recipe is two more gems, and goals come out with roughly a month on the timer, so I don't miss any goals, regardless of season, even though I hate buying ugly stuff I don't want, and getting bossed around when I was perfectly happy doing my own thing. If others are lucky enough to get a month-long vacation, or so busy they can't check in for a few minutes a couple times a day for an entire month... well, just wow lol. :p

A couple things I noted that people mentioned up through the thread:
-You don't have to redecorate at all during goals - just store everything they make you buy, and if you still don't want it later, sell it when the goal is gone (to make sure it stays completed). You only get 10% of what you spent though, so make sure you don't want it.
-When the wallpaper/flooring parts of the goals pop up, buy whichever ones you want. (Check the goal after buying one to make sure it's counting, but it most likely will, I have yet (since January anyway) to see it not work.)
-Even if you don't like the end prize, if you're gonna eventually master the new recipes anyway, why not just keep cooking while the goals are active and get whatever you can get out of them, since it's free? You can still get 10% of its cost back by selling it, and that's just free coins. ;)

happyheartfla
07-16-13, 11:47 AM
These goals are EXPENSIVE!! I'm not going to complete every goal just because TL wants my money. An appliance with only three recipes isn't worth it, if I don't want the theme! Each goal has decorating, sometimes expansion, several wall, floor, appliance items needed. Why buy them and just put them in storage, especially if I have to store a useable appliance to get a free slot for the new one?

I try to support my neighbors' requests for parts even when I'm not doing the goal. I will visit their shop first and gift the same item, and then accept their request. If I don't want a part that is gifted to me I simply decline and save the space for something I do need. This is a game folks, not life and death!

nicxole
07-16-13, 03:11 PM
I've been playing for 2.5 years, and for awhile, there wasn't much to the game. There was only the simple oven and drink maker, no goals, hardly any decorations. So for me, I like the goals. I've been level 99 for awhile and I still have a lot of recipes to master, but it gives me something to do. I've built up a lot of coins so that's not really an issue. It's kind of a personal challenge to see how quickly I can finish the goals. But I'd understand why a lot of people wouldn't want to do them if they're lower levels or working up to something

tehbaker
07-21-13, 12:34 AM
I've been playing for 2.5 years, and for awhile, there wasn't much to the game. There was only the simple oven and drink maker, no goals, hardly any decorations. So for me, I like the goals. I've been level 99 for awhile and I still have a lot of recipes to master, but it gives me something to do. I've built up a lot of coins so that's not really an issue. It's kind of a personal challenge to see how quickly I can finish the goals. But I'd understand why a lot of people wouldn't want to do them if they're lower levels or working up to something

TL has been quite busy with the goals on almost all of it's games. At one point in Restaurant Story I had two goals going at once with three different appliances. No idea how, but it got quite expensive.

I can understand neighbors being overworked with all the goals going on, especially if they are newer players. I just recently expanded and I'm down to 1.4m coins, so I understand if my neighbors don't want to spend the money. TL seems to be doing much better when it comes to the cost of new appliances. The price hikes months back really messed with appliance costs, making many of them very expensive - 50k to 100k - but all the goal ones lately seem to be cheaper, which is nice.

tehbaker
07-21-13, 12:39 AM
These goals are EXPENSIVE!! I'm not going to complete every goal just because TL wants my money. An appliance with only three recipes isn't worth it, if I don't want the theme! Each goal has decorating, sometimes expansion, several wall, floor, appliance items needed. Why buy them and just put them in storage, especially if I have to store a useable appliance to get a free slot for the new one?

I try to support my neighbors' requests for parts even when I'm not doing the goal. I will visit their shop first and gift the same item, and then accept their request. If I don't want a part that is gifted to me I simply decline and save the space for something I do need. This is a game folks, not life and death!

I have over 100 neighbors at the point and I try to honor everyone's requests as well. I've had neighbors remove me because I accidentally sent them what they didn't want a few times. It's almost impossible to know what everyone wants if they don't post on my wall. When new appliances come out my normal method is to gift the new parts for a week then back to original food/old parts. I figure those that removed me because of this - good riddance, I don't have much time for people being that picky.

graciessweets
07-22-13, 01:26 PM
I have a few neighbors that just outline on their wall when a new goal begins that new parts will be sent for 1 week and after that back to regular gifts. I think this is a simple and great idea. I'm never bothered by it. If I'm not needing the parts I just simply decline :-)

xoxjenn
07-22-13, 02:10 PM
The reward isn't worth what it takes to do the goal.
I don't like the theme & don't want any of the stuff.
I started the goals & didn't get to finish in time. Or just knew I wouldn't have time to finish.
Not enough coins.

Most of the time it is because I don't want the prize... Like these pirate themes are not my favorite, but I am doing the goals, just because I am bored with BS at the moment. My bakery not being big enough for the items is never ever a reason. I will just store them until I have room. Over half of my items are stored because I don't have room already. :( :( :(

TinksThots
07-26-13, 08:24 AM
"Why can't we buy gems with coins?" Well you kinda can:

Goals do nothing but get in my way and waste my coins on decor I usually can't stand, but new recipes = more gems, and any coins I have to spend on the goals, I consider that the price I'm paying for those gems, since I won't spend real money on these games. That's my way of looking at it. :)

tehbaker
07-27-13, 10:11 AM
"Why can't we buy gems with coins?" Well you kinda can:

Goals do nothing but get in my way and waste my coins on decor I usually can't stand, but new recipes = more gems, and any coins I have to spend on the goals, I consider that the price I'm paying for those gems, since I won't spend real money on these games. That's my way of looking at it. :)

That is a good point. New goal appliances bring more recipes (seems to be 3 per new appliance..) which means at least 6 gems per appliance. For those who don't spend any real money on the game this is an easy way to get more gems, even if they do the goals so far to unlock the appliances and that's it. Even buying one appliance, considering TL makes some of them quite expensive at 50k a pop. It will take a while to get up to 4 rating on the one appliance but the option is there.

tehbaker
07-27-13, 10:12 AM
I have a few neighbors that just outline on their wall when a new goal begins that new parts will be sent for 1 week and after that back to regular gifts. I think this is a simple and great idea. I'm never bothered by it. If I'm not needing the parts I just simply decline :-)

This is what I had been doing prior to noticing some of my neighbors were very specific about not doing goals at all. When new parts showed up I would send the new part for one week, or if multiple parts showed up I would alternate days for those parts. After the week was up, it was back to the normal food or parts.