PDA

View Full Version : Is it smarter to buy small habitats v. large?

glitterbabies
06-12-13, 12:06 PM
I am adding habitats to my island and in looking at the prices of these habitats I'm realizing that it's more cost efficient to buy the smaller habitats when dealing with the water, purple and black habitats

Here is why:

Small water - Cost $18K coins - 2 dragons - 1900 coins
Large Water - Cost $108K coins - 3 dragons - 3600 coins

3 small habitats cost $54K coins - holds 6 dragons and you get 5700 coin capacity

Small Purple - $43K coins - 1 dragon - 3000 coins
Large Purple - $320K coins - 3 dragons - 5000 coins

3 small purple costs $129K you still hold 3 dragons but you get 9000 coin capacity

Small Black Sands - Cost $990K coins - holds 1 dragon - 4100 coin capacity
Large Black Sands - Cost $3.6M coins - holds 3 dragons - 7800 coin capacity

3 small black sands - cost $2.97M coins - holds 3 dragons - coin capacity 12,300

Just an observation.

funnyrandomness5112
06-12-13, 12:18 PM
No, It is smarter to buy the larger habitats because there is a maximum number that you can have.

glitterbabies
06-12-13, 12:23 PM
No, It is smarter to buy the larger habitats because there is a maximum number that you can have.

I'm at level 62 and only have 32 of the 45 that I am alotted and my islands look completely full with very little space between habitats.

I sell duplicate dragons unless they are high earners and then I hang onto them until I need the space.

ShadowDragon136
06-12-13, 12:24 PM
I go with the larger ones for a mix of reasons- they have larger coin caps, large pink/black/purple especially take up less space for the same number of dragons (ie less expanding needed) and to mind the habitat cap.

glitterbabies
06-12-13, 12:26 PM
btw, I'm not saying don't ever buy large habitats. I have all the large habitats but when I started filling in the gaps I realized the smaller ones are more cost efficient if you only plan on having one of each dragon.

ShadowDragon136
06-12-13, 12:57 PM
It's more cost efficient immediately, sure, but having higher caps will net you more money when you aren't able to play or clear for a while, and depending on the dragons in them that can add up very quickly.

igames4me
06-12-13, 01:01 PM
At low levels it's ok since you may not have habitat for large one

But eventually if you want 1 of every dragon you have to buy the big ones since they fit 3 dragons

glitterbabies
06-12-13, 01:55 PM
At low levels it's ok since you may not have habitat for large one

But eventually if you want 1 of every dragon you have to buy the big ones since they fit 3 dragons

yeah, I have the big ones already. Now I'm trying to spread them out a little so the habitats don't fill up as quickly.

deamon506
06-12-13, 03:02 PM
It's best to get as many large habitats.

Wollstonecraft
06-12-13, 03:24 PM
So do you all upgrade your small habitats or sell them and buy the bigger ones?

lollipop_rp
06-12-13, 04:36 PM
Large habitats-

Ex.
Pretend you want to put six water hybrids in some water habitats.

A large habitat holds 3 dragons. You would only need 2 habitats.

A small habitat holds 3 dragons. you would need 3 habitats.

You would want more space so large would be good.

HenryLucky1
06-12-13, 04:46 PM

Yep, on the low level, I was thinking like glitterbabies, Smarter to buy small habitats, but there's a Max number of habitat. So, I've never buy small hab. because if you gonna upgrade it, it'll cost more

annbluebird
06-12-13, 04:55 PM
So do you all upgrade your small habitats or sell them and buy the bigger ones?

upgrade! once you already have small one it cost the same to upgrade and where would you put the dragons on during the time you sell and buy?

annbluebird
06-12-13, 04:58 PM
btw, I'm not saying don't ever buy large habitats. I have all the large habitats but when I started filling in the gaps I realized the smaller ones are more cost efficient if you only plan on having one of each dragon.

people are right, even with one of each, you will not get enough habitats. best for me is to have big ones with three on each, that s my way :)

HenryLucky1
06-12-13, 05:22 PM
upgrade! once you already have small one it cost the same to upgrade and where would you put the dragons on during the time you sell and buy?

I buy big hab. first, wait, put dragons in big hab., then I sell small habitat :)

annbluebird
06-12-13, 05:27 PM
I buy big hab. first, wait, put dragons in big hab., then I sell small habitat :)

hehe I dint thought about that ! much clever! ^^

HenryLucky1
06-12-13, 05:34 PM
hehe I dint thought about that ! much clever! ^^

Hehe... Yep, That's me, smart person :p
LMAO..

ShadowDragon136
06-12-13, 05:39 PM
I buy the big ones and then sell the small ones after moving the dragons, since it costs the same to upgrade as it does to buy the big one outright :) Might as well make a little back selling the small one.

holly_angel
06-13-13, 02:28 AM
Its good to start with small, as many as you can, I had mostly purple to start, since it holds 5000. As u get higher earning dragons, you can sell your small habitat as long as you have somewhere for those dragons to stay temporarily and then buy big habitats that hold more coins. That way you at least get some coins back from selling, since simply upgrading habitats is the same price as just buying it anyway.

Obv you would only sell any habitat once youre maxed. I tried to max as soon as possible. I collect almost a million coins a day.

Anyuszko
06-13-13, 02:38 AM
Sometimes when all of my habitats are full, and I need for example a red one, I buy a small, coz it is ready in 30 sec, put 2 dragons in, then upgrade to big. This way, I can "immediate" use the new habitat without waiting hours to complete a big one.

lollipop_rp
06-13-13, 04:18 AM

Ohhh
Sometimes I just upgrade cuz I never thought about that

infinitelove19
06-13-13, 07:50 AM
Bigger habitats are better than small, but more habitats are better than less. At first, I'd just buy small red rocks and lots of fire dragons as place-fillers until I had enough coins and dragons for larger habitats, then sell the fires. Always at the max number of habitats, but no sense buying the same thing twice, which is what you do when you start with a smaller habitat that you have to upgrade, plus given they fill up so quickly you miss out in potential earnings. Best of both worlds! You also have more habitats for people to sparkles, so you don't fill up as fast.

Honestly, though, do whatever makes you happy! ;-)

glitterbabies
06-13-13, 08:53 AM
thanks for everyone's imput.

I think for me it's about not having an overly cluttered island so I never have max habitats. I sell off the dragons from the nest rather than hatching them if I already have one. Can't count the number of mist/firestorm/luck dragons I've sold since I started playing LOL

I do see what everyone is saying about bigger is better though, just not necessarily for me at this point and I really appreciate the idea about building the bigger habitat then selling the smaller one afterwards. That's brilliant.

ShadowDragon136
06-13-13, 09:50 AM
Another point for buying a big one and selling the smaller (versus just upgrading), is that people can't play with your dragons if they're in a habitat that's being upgraded, so buying/selling means more plays too.