PDA

View Full Version : Can I harvest parts by requesting them and selling the appliance before building?

The_Real_Chris_B
05-19-13, 11:28 PM
So I noticed my neighbors are starting to send me only food again. I have no need for food. I have about fifty to 60 different prepared foods and my highest amount still available for one single food item is over 1,000,000. I've been level 99 for about 2 years already. My customers won't be starving anytime soon. I know that requests and gifts are separate but I'm hoping nbrs will notice that I have 5 or so appliances waiting for parts and just send me parts instead. Wall messages are a hassle and don't always work.

My question is, can I purchase a constructible appliance, request parts like screws or fuses and when I have enough to actually build the appliance, sell it without actually building it and just keep the parts sent to me by neighbors or will the requested parts disappear along with the sold appliance?

CruiserBobs
05-19-13, 11:49 PM
You don't use the parts until you actually press build. Therefore, you can just request parts and then sell the appliance off and still get the parts you want.

The_Real_Chris_B
05-20-13, 12:06 AM
Awesome! Thanks! I was afraid that I'd be wasting my time and coins trying to harvest parts through unbuilt appliances if I were to lose them in the process of selling the incomplete appliance.

On a completely different note, I'm level 99 and still don't understand why people say that they decline food gifts to make room for parts gifts. What does that mean exactly? If you accept everything, don't they all pile up in your "Gifts" tab in the main menu, regardless if they're food or parts? I know I see a list of both food and parts in my Gifts tab. What do they mean they're making room?

I know you're allowed a maximum of 20 gifts but if you're already there, why not just accept them all to clear it? Or is it 20 gifts for the day PERIOD? As in, once accepted, they count as part of the 20 you're allowed per day?

TinksThots
05-20-13, 07:23 AM
The only problem with your part harvesting idea is that once you reach the required amount to build that machine, you don't have the 'Ask' button anymore, so until you use up those parts, you can't ask for more. Also, I'm betting you'll find this (http://supremedynasty.com/tl/rest_applparts_list.html) quite handy! ;)

It's 20 gifts per day PERIOD, but it's 20 in your news box too. If you've got 20 Accept/Decline entries sitting in your news, but haven't accepted anything yet, people will still get the 'full' message when they try to gift you. If you accept all 20, regardless of what they are, you're full until reset. But if you decline what you don't want, then more can come in until you've hit 'Accept' on 20. :)

TinksThots
05-20-13, 07:31 AM
One way around the lack of an 'Ask' button once the requirements are met is to send out WAY more requests than the appliance asks for, but that has drawbacks too: You're allowed to send out 20 requests per day, anything above that, and they get pushed to the next day, 20 over that, the day after that, and so on, until your requests are getting to your neighbors several days out. If you don't mind waiting, go ahead and send out as many as you want. I do it, and I keep getting parts long after my appliances are done, and it helps with whatever I'm building next. :P

P.S. Requested parts don't count against your 20 gifts per day, btw. 20 gifts, 20 requests, 40 parts a day altogether. :D

dachsie1975
05-29-13, 11:19 AM
Without having to sift through 220 pages of topics, I think this is a good thread for me to ask this. Is there a way to dump all the non-food items from my gift box? I've built 3 stoves now and I still have gears, screws, knobs and paint that don't get used, even when I start a new appliance. My neighbors are all getting the full message since I obviously have more than 20 items but seemingly to me, no way to get rid of them. Thanks!!!!

TinksThots
05-29-13, 11:25 AM
Without having to sift through 220 pages of topics, I think this is a good thread for me to ask this. Is there a way to dump all the non-food items from my gift box? I've built 3 stoves now and I still have gears, screws, knobs and paint that don't get used, even when I start a new appliance. My neighbors are all getting the full message since I obviously have more than 20 items but seemingly to me, no way to get rid of them. Thanks!!!!

The only way to get rid of extra parts is to build with them. You can hold 37 thousand-something of each item, so don't worry about filling up on them any time soon. Your neighbors get the 'full' message because you've already accepted your 20 gifts per day allowance. They can send you more tomorrow. ;)

Riixie
05-29-13, 11:26 AM
^
Nope, you get to keep them. And don't worry, you'll be using those basic parts sooner or later and will probably be needing more!

I have old items (from stoves/ovens we can't even build anymore) and I'm stuck with them...@.@

dachsie1975
05-29-13, 02:48 PM
Thanks TinksThots. Sounds like my problem is just receiving too many. Good to know the box itself holds that much. I think I figured out where some of these are coming from--if my stove is done but someone answers a request I sent for parts (yes I'm impatient and send more than I need, probably not good lol) then maybe those are the parts I'm seeing extra. But too weird that they are not being used. My current stove needs gears and there are 3 gears sitting in that darn box. Also thanks to Riixie for your reply!
The only way to get rid of extra parts is to build with them. You can hold 37 thousand-something of each item, so don't worry about filling up on them any time soon. Your neighbors get the 'full' message because you've already accepted your 20 gifts per day allowance. They can send you more tomorrow. ;)

dachsie1975
05-29-13, 02:57 PM
Thanks Riixie, I'm so used to playing Cafe World on Facebook which does have a gift box that can be dumped and you get coins for the food inside. Buildable parts just go to the buildables in CW. I like a lot of stuff about Rest Story much better though. No caters and no annoying timed goals, lol. I will just stop worrying about a too full gift box now thanks again you guys! :)

KadeeDid
05-29-13, 05:00 PM
Thanks TinksThots. Sounds like my problem is just receiving too many. Good to know the box itself holds that much. I think I figured out where some of these are coming from--if my stove is done but someone answers a request I sent for parts (yes I'm impatient and send more than I need, probably not good lol) then maybe those are the parts I'm seeing extra. But too weird that they are not being used. My current stove needs gears and there are 3 gears sitting in that darn box. Also thanks to Riixie for your reply!

Your stove likely needs more than 3 gears. You see the 3 that have been sent. Once you get the number needed, those 3 along with the others will be used to build the stove.

KadeeDid
05-29-13, 05:01 PM

Check this thread.

http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?15812-Constructible-Appliance-How-To