PDA

View Full Version : Monument Isle - Levels 193 - 198

OpeningCeremony
05-17-13, 12:01 PM
Level 193... a fire and moves level with lock & chain AND doom jewels :confused:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2wo972p.png

ok uh... this level has waaaay too much going on. so there are 3 segments of lock & chain in tetris type shapes. Left side has a count of 36 red & two doom jewels, middle has 18 aqua and 18 blue & four doom jewels, and right side has 36 yellow & two doom jewels. each doom jewel trapped in the lock & chain areas have a count of 15 and they don't start counting down until you unlock the area they are sitting in. i tried the level just once to test it out... and the middle segment unlocked first, as soon as that happen an additional doom jewel dropped into the board with a count of 10. as i continued to play to try to get rid of the fire and doom jewels, more doom jewels continued to drop in. :mad:

so uh.. i didn't even get so far as to unlock the left and right segments and the fire will spread with each move... i can't even remember if i ran out of moves or if a doom jewel exploded to end it. but yea this level has way too many components to focus on getting rid of. hopefully my next tries will be smoother :/

Phaedrakiki
05-17-13, 01:20 PM
Level 193... a fire and moves level with lock & chain AND doom jewels :confused:
(...)
ok uh... this level has waaaay too much going on. (...)
more doom jewels continued to drop (...)
Wow, that level is cray-cray! (Not sure if I spelled that correctly or why it "slipped out", lol...)

(...) hopefully my next tries will be smoother :/
They will! You are so good at this...you are blazing through those levels!

Phaedrakiki
05-17-13, 01:48 PM
Level 193 (...) 3 segments of lock & chain in tetris type shapes. (...)
Definitely Tetris-y! :D

...middle has 18 aqua and 18 blue...
So, when there are two colors on the lock and chain, you have to complete both requirements before any chain disappears?

...each doom jewel trapped in the lock & chain areas have a count of 15 and they don't start counting down until you unlock the area they are sitting in...
When I first saw the photo, I thought you had to get to all those doom jewels in 15 moves--practically impossible! (Not that the entire level doesn't seem close to impossible, too!) Then I read this & felt a bit better for you! ;)

OpeningCeremony
05-17-13, 03:25 PM
So, when there are two colors on the lock and chain, you have to complete both requirements before any chain disappears?

this is correct! no matter how many of those color requirements are contained inside the lock & chain, you have to clear out all of them within a lock & chain segment for it to open up.

ok just beat level 193... i found that you shouldn't focus on the doom jewels unless they drop in very early on and then you have no choice but to get rid of them or else your round will end. once i started unlocking the left, middle, and right areas, i just focused on getting rid of the fires. so in order of importance:
1. unlock the left, middle, and right segments by targeting the colors inside the lock & chain
2. clear out the fire!
3. eliminate doom jewels only if they drop in early in the level

doom jewels that dropped in once i unlocked those segments actually end up having a count that is higher than the amount of moves i have left, so it doesn't even matter if you get rid of them. Or they have a count that is close to the amount of moves left, so i was banking on getting rid of all the fire before they exploded. the crates will naturally take care of themselves as you create matches around them, so don't focus on it too much.

ok level 194... timed glass level with lock & chain and crates

http://i39.tinypic.com/2vdfc7t.png

so you can't really try to get rid of the glass in the unreachable areas on the top left and right side until you unlock the lock & chain. There is a count of 96 of each color inside the lock & chain, so you need to clear out 96 of each color for it to open. there is glass underneath the crates, so you gotta break those open to get to the glass. on my first try i had one or two glass left :'( almost!! ran out of energy so i'll be back :p
my only strategy was to move fast and create special jewels if possible and do some combos.

thesacredphoenix
05-19-13, 08:05 AM
I personally am having a heck of a time with 196! It's just so easy to lose so fast! They drop some more Doom Gems on you too with 15 turn timers, as if the practically impossible ones in the middle aren't hard enough.

http://i.imgur.com/n6aF9ne.jpg

OpeningCeremony
05-19-13, 11:01 AM
I personally am having a heck of a time with 196! It's just so easy to lose so fast! They drop some more Doom Gems on you too with 15 turn timers, as if the practically impossible ones in the middle aren't hard enough.

I just got down to one flame but I ran out of moves :'(
Everytime I get on a roll either a doom jewel explodes or I run out of moves. Try again later I guess

OpeningCeremony
05-19-13, 12:05 PM
Whoa just passed 196 with 3 stars and beat Paul's score too! I swear you just need to get lucky with these boards sometimes ...
Level 197 is a really fun digging level and was one move away from passing it!! I had such a good round I was sad to not pass it haha. Be back with some pics :)

OpeningCeremony
05-20-13, 11:17 AM
back to Level 195... digging timed level with walls and white blocks

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/aileeniweeni/ad38953e-6f19-49bf-ad05-570d234fb50d_zps18560f22.jpg
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/aileeniweeni/60b44435-765d-46f5-b2c5-d9440703a209_zpsf84c67d6.jpg
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/aileeniweeni/0a44203f-8068-4e13-88e3-0e51e61fee43_zps47409fdd.jpg
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/aileeniweeni/aabdeae8-71c8-4986-aa88-17f098755f84_zps3e425b9a.jpg
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/aileeniweeni/7526a4e2-d90b-49c0-a20d-b79101ffd7e1_zps750551fc.jpg

This is my first try at Phaedrakiki's method of posting a pic of a digging level and it was kind of hard work! lol.

this level is pretty straight forward digging with just the added challenge of the walls to trip you up a bit. but there are plenty of opportunities to make special jewels on this level, so take advantage of that to dig down. you have to move pretty fast to even get close to the bottom and once you're there, you'll notice that it's only 2 brick pieces at the last meter to dig so you're gonna have to either use special jewels or have your jewels methodically placed to create a match right in that area to dig.
when making matches on the white blocks, a horizontal match right on top of it is always good because it'll get rid of the white blocks instantly and also dig a brick level (if that makes sense).

OpeningCeremony
05-20-13, 12:02 PM
Level 197... digging moves level with a bunch of snakes!

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/aileeniweeni/e4f6553b-4122-404f-8115-a147abf260a5_zps69629aa4.jpg
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/aileeniweeni/d7fb9711-239b-4b78-85b6-6ae8fd571a7a_zps766a2873.jpg
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r738/aileeniweeni/ebf71ee1-0114-46ac-b6b8-f8496cbf27ce_zps80abf941.jpg

At the beginning you will start out with 8 snakes on the board and it will not move down until you **** all the snakes. Then it will reveal the next section of 4 snakes that are pretty easy to get rid of since their heads are around the middle of the board. once you get rid of those snakes, it will move down to the top heads of the snake that is in a bracket shape like ] and [. when you **** the heads of these two, the body will remain and it will be difficult to dig on the left and right column of brick, but you must dig on those sides for the board to move down. then the board will move down again to reveal the bottom heads of the snakes, and you will need to either use blasters, combos, diamonds, or just get really lucky with a vertical match on top of the snake head to **** each snake. and finally one last snake body with 2 heads to clear before you can dig the last 2 meters of brick underneath them.

OpeningCeremony
05-20-13, 12:11 PM
Level 198... fire moves level with lots of doom jewels!

http://i41.tinypic.com/e986zn.png

there are sooo many doom jewels with varying counts on the timer: 8, 10, 12, and 15. it's pretty tough to make a dent in the fire because you have to focus on getting rid of the doom jewels with a low count on its timer. i guess i just haven't gotten a good board yet.

but a weird thing happened on one of my rounds, as soon as the level started it said a doom jewel exploded :confused: and then it went to the level failed screen and it ate up one of my energies. i didn't even touch the board... grr :mad: oh well i probably wouldn't have passed it that time anyways, lol.

http://i39.tinypic.com/352kzt1.png

OpeningCeremony
05-20-13, 12:32 PM
Level 197... digging moves level with a bunch of snakes!

whoops i didn't realize the "area #" came out on the photos, so i didn't include it in my description. but it's basically to show how the board moves down. so after you clear area 1, it'll move down a couple meters to area 2. then once you **** those snakes, down to area 3, and so on. but the placement of the text is around where the bottom of the screen will be when you're in that area. it'll probably make more sense once you actually play the level. :)

Phaedrakiki
05-20-13, 03:16 PM
(...) This is my first try at Phaedrakiki's method of posting a pic of a digging level and it was kind of hard work! lol. (...)

Yeah, and it takes a bit of time, lol! (Though due to circumstances, I've got plenty to invest... ;) ) But your pics are amazing! The levels look awesome--and tough. :concerned:

Glad you mentioned that tip about making matches "flat" (horizontal, in your example) against ice/white blocks. I try to do this, as well. It changes the ice to the same color (as jewels cleared against them,) and then if there's 3 or more, instantly clears them. Pretty cool, love the sound it makes esp. on glass levels.

Level 198... fire moves level with lots of doom jewels!

there are sooo many doom jewels (...) i guess i just haven't gotten a good board yet.

but a weird thing happened (...), as soon as the level started it said a doom jewel exploded :confused: and then it went to the level failed screen and it ate up one of my energies (...) grr :mad: (...)

That's awful--wonder why that happened? The level looks crazy-difficult anyway, that's all you need to have that happen. That is a lot of doom jewels. At least now you can "shop" for a good board! ;)

OpeningCeremony
05-20-13, 10:32 PM
That's awful--wonder why that happened? The level looks crazy-difficult anyway, that's all you need to have that happen. That is a lot of doom jewels. At least now you can "shop" for a good board! ;)

I've been trying out the restart and I kind of prefer not doing it because then I feel like I don't have a choice and so if I don't pass the level, I can blame the board. Lol. Now I have to take some responsibility for not passing! Haha. And I thought it would be helpful to restart in this level because of the doom jewels with the shorter timer... But it feels hopeless, tooooo many doom jewels!!

Anyone on this level or beat it?? I could really use some tips because I am struggling with this one. I keep having a doom jewel explode so I'm not making any progress with the fire.

thesacredphoenix
05-21-13, 12:12 AM
Yeah, outside of buying that Doom Jewel Nullify bonus, how the heck are you supposed to beat this one? I had an idea to let the first consume some of the Doom gems, but that's kind of a luck thing since sometimes those are the only matches. I honestly am not sure I'll ever beat this one without buying that powerup (lame way to beat a level) or if I get lucky and get a Diamond / Blaster combo. This one is hard.

thesacredphoenix
05-21-13, 12:13 AM
* Let the fire consume some of the Doom Gems.

And I'm referencing 198 if it wasn't clear.

I thought that digging one with the snakes was actually pretty fun, too.

OpeningCeremony
05-21-13, 01:27 AM
Wow can't believe I just passed level 198 and even beat Paul's score to boot :)
Was on my last energy before bed and I managed to make a blaster and bomb next to each other but also a diamond nearby. I had to choose between using the combo or the diamond. The combo would've blasted in the middle of the board so it wouldn't have gotten much of the fire. Luckily I somehow made another blaster right next to the diamond and combined those two. Left me with 3 flames, and then I was just very careful with other doom jewels on the board and tried to minimize the spread of the fire. Yay so happy!

Phaedrakiki
06-15-13, 05:31 PM
Level 193 certainly has a lot going on! Starts with 24 flames to put out within 35 moves (5 JC's used.) They added 5 moves since the photo in OP, but it's not helping--I'm not getting close at all! The doom jewels aren't too overwhelming, but the lack of matches can lead to their detonation (or getting stuck down in/near fire.) As prev mentioned, after awhile their timers are longer than the number of remaining moves...so they become just another jewel! ;)

I've played several times and can't get the last lock opened (seems to be the right side always for me. :confused: ) Not sure how I can do better, especially since often the move I make is the only one on the board! Guess it will come down to getting a lucky board, but it's going to have to be extreeeemely lucky!

Phaedrakiki
06-15-13, 11:19 PM
Whew! I did get extremely lucky! Had a great round on 193 and passed! :D

Level 194: 54 glass in 2:40 (4 JC's used.) They've added 20 seconds since the photo was posted in this thread...and it's much needed! Actually, more time would be even better. With only 4 colors, it's easy to make special jewels (which is always awesome!) I only had energy to play once, but I was swiping like a madwoman trying to open the locks. You really have to move fast and do lots of combos. That's what I did, and I got all the crates & lock and chain broken down. But there was no time left to clear the glass. I actually set off a diamond + blaster just as timer was ending in hopes it would get the glass, but I forgot it's double. This is going to be difficult to pass--those separated areas at top left & right--tough! Ugh, these timed levels stress me out!

The last level (193) was pretty hard, & it took awhile to pass. But it was a lot of fun (except when doom jewels got me--once only a few moves in, when things were looking so promising!) It's so much more enjoyable to play at my own pace, and have time to think about the best moves... :) Ah well, back to it when energy refills~

Phaedrakiki
06-16-13, 04:06 AM
Ugh, thought level 194 was gonna give me a heart attack...not happy that 195 is timed, too! Played 194 nine, ten more times (got an energy refill from challenge keys--for once when I actually needed it. I usually earn them when I've still got 4 left, so not much benefit!) Every attempt I'd run out of time before I could clear the glass (after the L&C's cleared.) Finally I got lucky, and was able to combo lots of special jewels right after each other (like 3 diamond +blaster, & 2 or 3 blaster + bombs.) This unlocked the chained areas and gave me enough time to break the glass. Yay--what a relief!

Level 195: Dig 18 meters in 3:25 (5 JC's.) Looks like :15 was added since the photo was posted in this thread. Played once with my last energy, and got only halfway thru. Will have to improve on that tomorrow. G'night!

Phaedrakiki
06-16-13, 05:42 PM
Wowza, had to go thru lots of rounds to pass 195! But I found I was digging a little further down each time...so it didn't feel hopeless (though maybe at first!) You really have to hustle on this one, and make tons of special jewels. It's harder to do combos because of the walls, but that's what it will take to pass (unless you're super-fast or get loads of diamonds!) I tried to start each round with a horizontal match against the ice blocks (or I restarted the level.) That way it color-changed the blocks and instantly cleared them (and dug down.) It's a small head-start, but every bit helps! I finally passed by making tons of blasters & bombs, and combining a diamond + blaster at the very bottom. The screen was flashing; I had my fingers crossed that the blasters would get that narrow area at the finish line. Hurray--it did!!! :D

Phaedrakiki
06-16-13, 06:01 PM
Level 196: Extinguish 8 fire in 60 moves (was 35 when photo was posted, though I doubt the extra moves will matter much if doom jewels are exploding/ending round early!) Only 4 jewel colors used, which should make it easy to make special jewels (which are mandatory for this level!) The doom jewels--ugh! Separated from the board, so you have to use blasters, etc. to clear them. I just played, and it took a long time to make my blasters & get 'em lined up with the short-fused doomies. Took too long--boom! Prior to that, I only had one or two moves at any given time. So it's going to rely on getting a lucky board with the right opportunities. Hope it doesn't take too long; I hate when doom jewels explode round after round. At least I can take my time--yay!

Phaedrakiki
06-17-13, 12:45 AM
Omg, 196 is really difficult! I've only used up all my moves once--a doom jewel exploded every other time. As for the fire, it's very hard to put out. I guess the easiest way is to have a blaster + bomb right over each fire area (I did this and got one side out...but so far, not both.) A diamond + blaster might take care of it, depends on how many jewels are affected & where the blasters are pointing. I tried this, and thought I was in good shape. But it didn't work out (didn't even take out the doom jewel I thought was a sure thing!) You could line up blasters on one side at a time, but you'd have to set off both blasters in quick succession cuz the fire will come right back. So, in order to pass, you (I!) need to make it past the doom jewels. Plus, you need the perfect combo opportunities to get the fire out--what a complicated level! Fingers crossed, this one is challenging! Hope I get that perfect board soon...

Phaedrakiki
06-17-13, 01:48 AM
Oh, thank you, thank you JM gods...I passed 196! I used a blaster + bomb to put out the fire on one side, and a diamond + blaster took care of the other! Whew, that level is a toughie!

Level 197: Dig 14 meters in 80 moves (5 JC's.) Lots of snakes in this level, but it's pretty fun! Played it once, and had the finish line in sight (12/14.) But that last snake was hard to get. Actually, a lot of the snake-heads are in tricky, difficult-to-reach areas/positions. Had 2 or 3 diamonds my first try...hope that continues, though this wouldn't be a bad place to hang out awhile. ;)

Phaedrakiki
06-17-13, 02:55 PM
I passed level 197, and it was so much fun! There are a few areas where you can get stuck trying to clear snakes, and it can eat up too many moves. So it might take lots of attempts like it did me. But always enjoyable! It's easy to make special jewels, diamonds, etc. & combine them on 197. Just use moves wisely, and this one shouldn't take too long to pass... Enjoy! ;)

Level 198: 20 fire in 65 moves (5 JC's used.) Used to have only 25 moves (when photo posted,) but I needed all but 2 of those moves to pass! I actually got thru on my first try, but I know that was extremely lucky. I had some very close calls with the doom jewels, but I kept getting matches, diamonds, etc. just in time. Whew, all those doom jewels scare me! It was nice taking my time to tackle this difficult level. Even though it's not timed, it def got my heart racing!

Guess I'm off to Watcher's Rock (http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?51719-Watcher-s-Rock-(Levels-199-204)-5-13-13) now...can't believe I'm almost to the level-200 mark. So excited! :D

pastasplace
06-24-13, 12:21 AM
The last couple of days I've had some problems with my game... One of the columns will clear, and then it won't refill itself

All very mysterious! And a bit frustrating, as t akes it difficult to make matches!!

Gardienn
06-25-13, 01:34 PM
Wowza, had to go thru lots of rounds to pass 195!

Yep. Ditto that. I can't seem to dig down more than 14 on this board, but it's not the time. Sometimes it's the board and sometimes it's me not seeing the matches because of the walls in the center so I just have to keep working this one. I haven't played it a lot, though, because I just got it, so I hope to clear it soon. It at least feels doable. No triple threats, just time and dig down. I can handle that.

Phaedrakiki
06-25-13, 02:21 PM
The last couple of days I've had some problems with my game (...)

Have your problems cleared-up, pastasplace? I get weird stuff like that occasionally. I force-close the game and sometimes restart my iPhone, and it seems to clear it up for me. Hope yours is all fixed! :)

Gardienn
06-25-13, 04:51 PM
Have your problems cleared-up, pastasplace? I get weird stuff like that occasionally. I force-close the game and sometimes restart my iPhone, and it seems to clear it up for me. Hope yours is all fixed! :)

I was going to say the same thing but had to go before I did. I had the same thing happen to me. It finally did clear after I force closed and restarted my phone.

pastasplace
06-26-13, 08:52 AM
Thanks Phaedrakiki and Gardienn! I'm off that level - it seemed to be that level in particular. Had it on a later level, but it dropped stuff in slowly, so it wasn't too bad.

I've enjoyed the past few levels very very much, but now I'm on 198... Doom jewels and fire don't make for fun times as far as I'm concerned!!

Gardienn
06-26-13, 09:55 AM
I agree with Phaedrakik. 196 was tough, but I passed. I had only one energy left for 197 for I'm waiting for it to rebuild and try it again. Fun level.

Gardienn
06-26-13, 09:56 AM
Thanks Phaedrakiki and Gardienn! I'm off that level - it seemed to be that level in particular. Had it on a later level, but it dropped stuff in slowly, so it wasn't too bad.

I've enjoyed the past few levels very very much, but now I'm on 198... Doom jewels and fire don't make for fun times as far as I'm concerned!!

I'm glad you passed it and aren't having troubles now. I hate it when stuff like that happens mid-game, especially when it costs a win.

pastasplace
06-26-13, 11:36 AM
I think I actually passed on one of the times it played up!

No technical problems now, I just not understand how I'm supposed to be able to clear 14 doom jewels in 15 moves!! At some point a blaster and a bomb will come along next to each other I'm sure....

pastasplace
06-28-13, 03:05 PM
Yep, eventually the bomb/blaster combo turned up! And a diamond with a blaster... Hurrah!! That's this island done!

aileeniweeni
06-28-13, 06:37 PM
yay pastasplace! bomb/blaster one of my favorites. diamond with a blaster... even BETTER!! :p

VGailP
10-13-13, 05:46 PM
Wowza, had to go thru lots of rounds to pass 195! But I found I was digging a little further down each time...so it didn't feel hopeless (though maybe at first!) You really have to hustle on this one, and make tons of special jewels. It's harder to do combos because of the walls, but that's what it will take to pass (unless you're super-fast or get loads of diamonds!) I tried to start each round with a horizontal match against the ice blocks (or I restarted the level.) That way it color-changed the blocks and instantly cleared them (and dug down.) It's a small head-start, but every bit helps! I finally passed by making tons of blasters & bombs, and combining a diamond + blaster at the very bottom. The screen was flashing; I had my fingers crossed that the blasters would get that narrow area at the finish line. Hurray--it did!!! :D

Lol cross your fingers for me then! I am so stuck on 195. But in reading the rest of this thread I am afraid to get to 196,lol.

Phaedrakiki
10-13-13, 07:16 PM
Lol cross your fingers for me then! I am so stuck on 195. But in reading the rest of this thread I am afraid to get to 196,lol.

Will do! May you pass it soon! Good luck to you (on 196 too--when you get there!) ;)

VGailP
10-18-13, 06:55 PM
Will do! May you pass it soon! Good luck to you (on 196 too--when you get there!) ;)

Sighhhh, yet another that I cannot ever pass. :(

Phaedrakiki
10-20-13, 10:28 PM
Sighhhh, yet another that I cannot ever pass. :(

Yes, that one was very difficult. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck! :)

VGailP
10-26-13, 06:47 PM
Yes, that one was very difficult. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck! :)

I am so envious of you all that seem to fly right thru these levels. The past few islands have been tough for me. (Some levels anyway) I finally passed 195 a few days ago and have been stuck yet again on 196. Usually a doomie gets me by the time I use 15 moves. I have used up all the moves only a few times. I have even combined 2 diamonds a few times..along with diamond and blasters..doesn't get to those flames at the bottom tho..ugh!

Phaedrakiki
10-28-13, 08:01 PM
(...) stuck yet again on 196. Usually a doomie gets me by the time I use 15 moves. I have used up all the moves only a few times. I have even combined 2 diamonds a few times..along with diamond and blasters..doesn't get to those flames at the bottom tho..ugh!

Hi VGailP,
I'm sorry to hear you're stuck again. It's so frustrating. I had to look up 196 to see which one it was--the screenshot has disappeared, for some reason. But oh yeah, that one was very tough! I remember how tricky it was getting to those doom jewels in time! You just happen to be on some of the tougher islands lately (I had a hard time with them, too.) I've got my fingers crossed for you...that you get through and have some peaceful levels really soon!

But for now...you have to clear those 2 middle doom jewels in 16 moves, and the rest in 20...so that's the focus at first. Make special jewels, especially lots of vertical blasters. Blaster + bomb combos are absolutely wonderful for this level ("aiming" info on them at the bottom.) Diamond + blaster/bomb can work, but it's not a sure thing. Especially diamond + blaster...you never know if you're going to get vertical or horizontal blasters, and which ones will go where. Swapping 2 diamonds will definitely clear all of your doom jewels, but it won't touch the fire (unless you've already blasted into the box and there are jewels inside. In order to extinguish the fire that way, a cleared jewel has to touch it.)

To get a "head start" on the doom jewels, it might help to look for boards that have good opening moves, like those that create special jewels. If you don't see a match that makes a blaster or bomb, then restart the level (press pause, back arrow button.) It's not a lot, but it could save enough moves to blast those doomies in time. Once all doom jewels are cleared, you can tackle the fire full-on. Of course, the blasting of the doom jewels can also put out fire at the same time. Hopefully, you'll get lucky and extinguish all the fire in the boxes before 16 moves (with well-aimed blaster + bombs) and you won't have to worry about those dastardly doomies! ;)

You may already know this, but just in case...
When using blaster + bomb (b&b) combos, make sure you're swiping in the direction you want the blast to go. That way you'll get the full benefit of the 3 x 3 (3-row x 3-column) blast. For this level especially, you'll want to target/aim the b&b blast for certain columns (the ones doom jewels are in, or the ones with fire at the bottom.) That means the more important "aim" choices will be for blasters & bombs that are side-by-side in the same row*. The 3-jewel wide blast is determined by the direction you swipe. So if you swipe left, the 3 columns that get blasted will be: 1. the blaster's column, the bomb's column, and the column to the left of the blaster + bomb.) As for the 3 rows that get blasted, those are 1. the row the blaster + bomb's in, 2. the row above the b&b, and 3. the row below the b&b.

*When dealing with a blaster + bomb combo in the same column, your choice of direction is up or down. Down is usually best, unless one of your special jewels (the blaster or bomb) is on the bottom row. Then you'd swipe up if you wanted the full 3-row blast.

While I'm rambling about combos, let me quickly mention blaster + blaster combos. If you don't already know how to aim this combo, check out this chart (http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?56704-Jurassic-Bark-Levels-337-342/page2&p=734803#post734803) I made. Figuring this out has really helped my JM game a lot.

Sorry if you already knew this stuff--just trying to help! :) If you have any questions, please let me know. Best of luck! :)

VGailP
10-29-13, 05:45 AM
Thanks for your reply/help. You definitely need to be a moderator!
I basically have given up for now. Sometimes I go to 196 and waste my 5 energies in 5 minutes,lol.
But just play some other games more at this time. I tried so many times on this till I felt totally stupid. Many times I could not even get a board to make a blaster. Few times I got 2 diamonds. For the most part I couldn't even make many combos at all before time was out on doomies. Frustrating to get 15 moves and be out most every time. You can't make combos if the board only gives 3 jewel matches repeatedly. I did get to one or two flames a couple times but then no way to make a combo at all so they flared back up.

VGailP
10-29-13, 05:49 AM
Sorry had typed long message/reply to you but then it says I don't have permission,have to be logged in etc..I was logged in!

VGailP
10-29-13, 05:52 AM
It won't let me reply to you Kiki..JM hates me..ugh! I DO appreciate your time and replies.
I won't retype all that again but THANKS!
May return to JM later..(and will check out your chart)

Phaedrakiki
10-29-13, 05:10 PM
Thanks...I'm sorry to see you so frustrated. I understand, though. I remember being stuck on one of the earlier levels for a month & 1/2 or so. One of the first times we had to break glass off to the sides. I didn't know how diamonds worked, or anything about special combos, either. But I finally "accidentally" passed (by incredible luck!)...and you will get past that level eventually. A break should def help you feel better. Btw, have you played Candy Mania yet? I've been playing lately, and it's really great! All "moves" levels...and it's challenging, but not frustrating. Unfortunately, it only goes to 156 levels (only have 2 left, gonna need more! ;) ) Give it a try, if you haven't already...

Well, I hope to see you back here soon, kicking level 196's bootie! We'll miss you!
Have fun! :D

VGailP
10-30-13, 05:04 AM
Thanks...I'm sorry to see you so frustrated. I understand, though. I remember being stuck on one of the earlier levels for a month & 1/2 or so. One of the first times we had to break glass off to the sides. I didn't know how diamonds worked, or anything about special combos, either. But I finally "accidentally" passed (by incredible luck!)...and you will get past that level eventually. A break should def help you feel better. Btw, have you played Candy Mania yet? I've been playing lately, and it's really great! All "moves" levels...and it's challenging, but not frustrating. Unfortunately, it only goes to 156 levels (only have 2 left, gonna need more! ;) ) Give it a try, if you haven't already...

Well, I hope to see you back here soon, kicking level 196's bootie! We'll miss you!
Have fun! :D

I just tried again on 196, unbelievable that once again I only got 3 jewel matches and couldn't make ONE blaster or combo.
Yes I played candy mania a bit..got to about level hmm 75 I think..it began to get pretty monotonous to me..lol..seemed same thing almost..over and over.

koetsub
03-15-14, 07:55 AM
Time to take a break from JM. I've been on Level 195 for a long time now. I enjoy the game, but it's frustrating not being able to dig down more than 12 meters, even with diamonds and bomb/blaster combos.....over more than 100 attempts now. It's needs at least a minute added to the timer - a 6-minute timer would be great.

Phaedrakiki
03-15-14, 03:26 PM
I just tried level 195 again as a reminder (been awhile, lol.) I see they've added some time--up to 4:25 now (still 5JC--jewel colors.) It was 3:25 or something when I played. I was able to pass just now with only one blaster + bomb combo. I used a lot of blasters, but I mostly just focused on making matches at the dirt level. Just try to always be digging, quickly glancing around for special jewel or combo opportunities now & then (or when there aren't moves that "dig".) Don't worry about the ice/white blocks at the edges--they don't really matter, or affect digging or scrolling.

I mentioned this in my earlier post (as did Aileeniweeni/OpeningCeremony,) but it helps to start with a horizontal match flat against the ice in the first row. (I'll add a screenshot here showing what I mean in a bit.) This match will clear the ice and dig a layer of dirt in one move. It's a great "head start." If you don't have a match flat against the ice, pause, then restart the level (doesn't take an energy as long as you don't move anything.)

Best of luck!

koetsub
03-15-14, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the tips Phaedrakiki. I did read your previous post and try them, but find that most of the time the matches are near the top, so very little digging at the dirt level takes place.

I tried many lives today (lost count), and got the same :(

Phaedrakiki
03-15-14, 09:40 PM
I just tried again on 196, unbelievable that once again I only got 3 jewel matches and couldn't make ONE blaster or combo. (...)

My reply in comment #40 was so long it prob got lost, but I had a tip about this. To only play boards that had a blaster or bomb-creating move to start with (or keep restarting the level 'til you get one.) That way, you are getting a head-start on the level (& at least getting one special jewel, lol. ;)) I know you're way past this level now, but I just wanted to clarify this, in case anyone else needs it.

(...) Yes I played candy mania a bit..got to about level hmm 75 I think..it began to get pretty monotonous to me..lol..seemed same thing almost..over and over.

I still play Candy Mania--might even be my favorite "-Mania" these days! They keep adding new game features, and I'm always impressed with how different the levels are (I think they do a great job making them feel unique.) I'm on level 350 or so now...they're updating regularly, too... (Sorry, had to "defend" my game, lol!)

Phaedrakiki
03-15-14, 09:58 PM
Thanks (...) most of the time the matches are near the top, so very little digging at the dirt level takes place. (...)

You're welcome! Yeah, it does happen every once in awhile...where there just aren't any matches near the dirt. When that happens, just go with the lowest move you can (unless you can make/detonate a special jewel.) As you make matches, the jewels falling into place eventually line up with jewels at the dirt line--so always return the focus there. And when you blast/bomb, you also get new jewels to "dig" with. Just keep playing...that lucky level should be coming very soon, and all the "practice" you're getting will have you ready when it arrives! ;) Good luck!

koetsub
03-17-14, 04:37 AM
Phaedrakiki, I'm not surprised you breezed through 195. I just checked your profile, and am humbled! You are a true expert, currently at level 520.

Well, I managed to get to 15/18 on 195 once. I frequently get lots of diamonds and blasters and noise.....to end up at 7/18!

Oh well, I'm saving money. I have to buy gold to get between islands as I usually need too many stars to proceed (I'm but a peon compared to you!). If I'm stuck I'm not spending any money:)

koetsub
03-18-14, 04:08 PM
Hey Kiki, I finally made it through after conscripting my wife into helping me, and buying gold twice at the end. I wanted to get it over with as it was not fun any more.

196 looks very interesting.

Phaedrakiki
03-18-14, 08:22 PM
Hey Kiki, I finally made it through after conscripting my wife into helping me, and buying gold twice at the end. I wanted to get it over with as it was not fun any more.

196 looks very interesting.

Lol! Yeah, sometimes after being on a level awhile, the "fun" fades. At that point, players will do anything to be done with it (been there many times--whew!) Congrats on passing, and hope you enjoy the rest of the island! :D

Btw, you said you often need more stars to proceed between islands. Wanted to mention you can get more stars from any island--you can replay any level you earned 1 or 2 stars on. So you can go back to level 1 if you want (or the lowest level you have without 3 stars...) You have to have an average of 2 stars per level. So to go to the next island, for example, you'll need a total of 198 x 2, or 396 stars. ;)

koetsub
03-19-14, 05:33 AM
Yes, I have been playing lower levels for more stars, but to get to this island, for example, I needed 43 stars, which would have taken me ages, hence I bought gold.

196 is very difficult, but a number of times I've managed to put out one set of four fires, after wiping out the dooms. No more moves in this level is great as it brings the dooms up. I also found out that the combination of a diamond and blaster is particularly useful here.

Phaedrakiki
03-19-14, 10:57 AM
Sounds promising! :) Yeah, I remember this level--those doomies are especially tough!

Blaster + bomb combo is really great for level 196, too--maybe even better cuz it's a "sure thing" regarding aiming at the fire/doom jewels. (Unfortunately no control on whether you get vertical blasters in a diamond + blaster combo, and the horizontal ones don't help much with the fire.)

The blaster + bomb gives a 3-column wide blast. If your jewels are side-by-side (in the same row,) be sure to swipe in the direction you want the blast to go--either right or left, depending on where the fire or doom jewels are you're aiming at. The blast will take out the blaster column, the bomb column, and the one to the left or right of the combo, depending on swap direction. (If the blaster & bomb are one above the other/in the same column, the 3 columns will automatically be: the one the combo's in, the 2 on either side of it...)

Good luck! :)

koetsub
03-20-14, 06:13 AM
Thanks Kiki!

I made it through 196. Very enjoyable level. I made lots of attempts. After I wiped out the doomies I had one blaster/diamond combo that wiped out one set of fires, then after fudging around I got another such combo that wiped out the other set.

One attempt so far on 197, then I ran out of energy. I wiped out the snakes, then got within hissing distance of the end (11/14, I think).

koetsub
03-20-14, 05:01 PM
I made it through 197.

In 198 the short timers on those doomies are insane. I envision myself being here a LOOOONG time!!!

koetsub
03-20-14, 06:55 PM
I envisioned wrong! Made it through 198.

43 stars to get to the next island!

Phaedrakiki
03-21-14, 12:28 PM
(...) 43 stars to get to the next island!

Yeah, unfortunately that's going to happen every time until you bring your "star average" up to 2 per level (or 2/3's of the total stars.) It probably won't take as long as you think. However, if you're super eager to get to the next level & don't mind spending gold --go for it. :D You could maybe devote an energy or 2 to the easiest levels once a day or something though, if you wanted. They should be much easier to play now that you're "more experienced", lol. And if you get 2 stars with each 3-star attempt, you'll keep earning energy that lets you try for free for quite awhile. I actually find going back to 3-star fun, and do it now & then when I'm stuck on difficult and/or frustrating levels (timed, doom jewels, fire, etc.)

I left some basic "3-starrin'" tips at the Forbidden Headland (http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?45995-Forbidden-Headland-Levels-79-84/page2) island thread just yesterday (comment #20,) if that helps.

Congrats on breezing thru the rest of this island so fast! Good luck on whatever comes next, BTW. Oh, and I forgot to mention--loved your "hissing distance" comment yesterday. ;)

(...) get more stars from any island--you can replay any level you earned 1 or 2 stars on. So you can go back to level 1 if you want (or the lowest level you have without 3 stars...) You have to have an average of 2 stars per level. So to go to the next island, for example, you'll need a total of 198 x 2, or 396 stars. ;)

dayjovu
07-19-14, 11:58 AM
Any hints on how to win game 195 in monument isle? 4:39 for 18 levels and 11 levels down is best I have done and it's pricey to use 26 or 33 gold for 15 seconds. I am sick of playing this one over and over and not getting close to winning *sniff*