PDA

View Full Version : A Wonderful Idea for Dragon Story

beankai
05-15-13, 10:23 AM
This is a concept that has been around for a while. Most software developers (self-included) know about it.

Test Environment:
Separate from the production version of your game. Create a test environment called Dragon Story Beta. Give participating players a something like 100 gold for signing up. Test all of your balancing and beta features there.

Pros:
Game balancing
Fairness to players
Tested and working features only in production
Less complaints from everyone in the game
Formal place to log issues/complaints
Less testers, but quality testers who signed up for testing and will help you improve your game

Cons:
A separate download
Game files for the test environment
Possibly more architecture needed to support the additional load

I am amazed that TL has not done this yet. All major software development companies use test environments. Having a better product will result in higher income.

Good luck evolving into a company and welcome to IT 101!

RotomGuy
05-15-13, 10:27 AM
Do Apple even allow things like this on the App Store?

Anyways there probably is a reason TL hasn't done this and I'm sure it's Gold related somehow.

And by the way this will be locked and you will be asked to post in the Suggestions Thread.

[S8] Elsa
05-15-13, 10:41 AM
Potential third party restrictions aside, I understand where you're coming from with your suggestion for a public test server. I'll share the feedback. Just throwing this out there, though, a public test server has a significantly lower population. Even if every person on the forum signed up, that's still a very low percentage of users. While something might look balanced on a smaller scale, once it's on live it still has to be tweaked and balanced to accommodate a vastly larger population. Doesn't it make sense to include a chunk of the population and slowly roll out as adjustments are made?

When it comes down to it, each company operates differently and what works for one may or may not work for the other and each of them take the route that they feel is the best decision for them.

RotomGuy
05-15-13, 10:51 AM
Potential third party restrictions aside, I understand where you're coming from with your suggestion for a public test server. I'll share the feedback. Just throwing this out there, though, a public test server has a significantly lower population. Even if every person on the forum signed up, that's still a very low percentage of users. While something might look balanced on a smaller scale, once it's on live it still has to be tweaked and balanced to accommodate a vastly larger population. Doesn't it make sense to include a chunk of the population and slowly roll out as adjustments are made?

When it comes down to it, each company operates differently and what works for one may or may not work for the other and each of them take the route that they feel is the best decision for them.

If the testing was announced in game along with the 100 Gold or whatever gift for testing, I'm sure many people would sign up. Even if there was no gift I think a lot of users would want the opportunity to test out new features.

And anyway, you would be rolling it out to a chunk of people by doing this because lots of people would want to try (if they knew about it) and if even more wanted to try then great, they don't have to worry about altering it for a larger audience.

beankai
05-15-13, 10:59 AM
It is true that beta is done on a smaller scale, but all major online games are done this way. Fine tuning will always be required, but the major issues would be caught prior to going live. Things like crashing games, major gold or coin loopholes, and unfair obtaining of dragons (infinity as example) would all be caught prior to impacting the game as a whole. I am not saying a beta test would solve 100% of issues. No software is ever release 100% flawless. That is the nature of the business, but major issues and complete unbalancing should never touch a live server.

I don't mean my post to be a slam on anyone or any way of doing things. I am simply stating facts that all major companies have learned from. A sectioned public rollout could be done after beta testing and you still avoid major issues from causing a damage to the market. The rollout would also be able to ramp up much faster since most of the serious bugs are already worked out.