PDA

View Full Version : How do you manage with your neighbors

annbluebird
04-20-13, 02:36 PM
Hello, First of all I apologize to the moderators, I'm not sure there is not already a thread about this but I have not found it.
My question is:
How you manage when you have many neighbors?
My example is: I have 35 neighbors and it is often impossible for me to send gifts to everyone. all my neighbors are good neighbors but I can only send gold one / two times per month max to each. when I think that some players have more than one hundred / thousand neighbors, I wonder what criteria you use to select those who will receive the 3 daily golds.
It would be interesting to know your ways to select (of course I dont speak about those neighbors who never respond to requests or never visit or never send gold back - only speak about good neighbors)
Thank you for all your answers! :)

Sidni7
04-20-13, 02:46 PM
I keep a rota and send to my neighbours in turn. It takes AGES!

annbluebird
04-20-13, 02:52 PM

Yes I agree ! I keep a rotation too. I really wonder how people manage for gold gift !

DragonTan1
04-20-13, 02:53 PM

^^This. Also I only visit anybody who visits and leaves a message on my wall. I have over 400 neighbours so I can't visit them all, but the ones that don't visit send maps and stuff so it's good.

fitfunsparkle
04-20-13, 02:54 PM
I have two neighbors that i always gift each day, and they always gift me. Then i have two more that i put into rotation every other day as we gift each other often like that but not every day. On castle story i have three that we just gift each other everyday and makes it easy to remember.

Saieen
04-20-13, 02:55 PM
I do the same thing as Sidni7. To keep track of gold: Since I can only send 3 gold a day, I only accept 3 gold a day. I eventually get to my everyone and the cycle continuously goes around again (It does take awhile!). I found that if I accept more than three gold a day, I forget which neighbors I have/have not gifted back. I don't want this to happen, because if I don't gift them back, they won't gift me gold, so I try to keep a mutually neighborship (made up word ^o^) going. As for visiting islands, if I have time, I try to visit their islands once a day and play with their dragons. I don't know how long I can keep the later up when I have more neighbors (I have around 35 as well).

BTW, is there a way to delete neighbors? I have a few who must have stopped playing and would like to remove them :-)

annbluebird
04-20-13, 02:58 PM
^^This. Also I only visit anybody who visits and leaves a message on my wall. I have over 400 neighbours so I can't visit them all, but the ones that don't visit send maps and stuff so it's good.

okay so what is your gold average? mine is 6/day
(I know that max is 20) I dont think that everybody can receive 20/day with this rotation.

DragonTan1
04-20-13, 02:59 PM
I do the same thing as Sidni7. To keep track of gold: Since I can only send 3 gold a day, I only accept 3 gold a day. I eventually get to my everyone and the cycle continuously goes around again (It does take awhile!). I found that if I accept more than three gold a day, I forget which neighbors I have/have not gifted back. I don't want this to happen, because if I don't gift them back, they won't gift me gold, so I try to keep a mutually neighborship (made up word ^o^) going. As for visiting islands, if I have time, I try to visit their islands once a day and play with their dragons. I don't know how long I can keep the later up when I have more neighbors (I have around 35 as well).

BTW, is there a way to delete neighbors? I have a few who must have stopped playing and would like to remove them :-)

Social > Neighbours > Edit > Remove.

I had to delete a certain neighbour today, for being a tool.

annbluebird
04-20-13, 03:00 PM

To remove neighbors => go in your neighbors list and above you can see "edit" tab , click on and you can remove who you want to
I visit daily and keep an excel list to know who I sent to and who sent me back

DragonTan1
04-20-13, 03:01 PM
okay so what is your gold average? mine is 6/day
(I know that max is 20) I dont think that everybody can receive 20/day with this rotation.

Sometimes it's 5+, 10+ 15+ it's not the same each day.

Saieen
04-20-13, 03:02 PM
Social > Neighbours > Edit > Remove.

I had to delete a certain neighbour today, for being a tool.

Wow, never realized it was that easy. Thanks! :-)

Saieen
04-20-13, 03:04 PM
To remove neighbors => go in your neighbors list and above you can see "edit" tab , click on and you can remove who you want to
I visit daily and keep an excel list to know who I sent to and who sent me back

WOW, excel list?? As a graduate student, I really dont have that kind of time. It's a good thing to do though! Never realized Dragon Story players were doing such advanced techniques to keep track of all of that, but I guess when you have so many neighbors, it might become necessary...

annbluebird
04-20-13, 03:07 PM
Sometimes it's 5+, 10+ 15+ it's not the same each day.

okay but then you never can send back to everyone ! I have some neighbors who send daily (new players) and I sometimes feel guilty not to send back so often

annbluebird
04-20-13, 03:10 PM
WOW, excel list?? As a graduate student, I really dont have that kind of time. It's a good thing to do though! Never realized Dragon Story players were doing such advanced techniques to keep track of all of that, but I guess when you have so many neighbors, it might become necessary...

well I have a poor memory and this was the only way for me to keep a clean rotation. plus it doesnt take more time than "turn on the comp - open excel - click in the appropriate cell" and save

DragonTan1
04-20-13, 03:11 PM
okay but then you never can send back to everyone ! I have some neighbors who send daily (new players) and I sometimes feel guilty not to send back so often

I try to send back to them all but it's impossible to do really.

annbluebird
04-20-13, 03:16 PM
I try to send back to them all but it's impossible to do really.

I see, thank you it s good to know that I m not the only one trying to please everybody :)

doop01
04-20-13, 03:32 PM
Hi Ann :) I have about 300 neighbors so the rotation system would be bad for me. I have 2 that I exchange gold with every day and then another 2 that I send on alternate days. There is also one other that sends me gold every few days so then I will gift her instead of the ones that I rotate. I have also had new neighbors that have been sending me gold, but I leave a message on their wall to thank them and explain that I am unable to return it.

annbluebird
04-20-13, 03:52 PM
Hi Ann :) I have about 300 neighbors so the rotation system would be bad for me. I have 2 that I exchange gold with every day and then another 2 that I send on alternate days. There is also one other that sends me gold every few days so then I will gift her instead of the ones that I rotate. I have also had new neighbors that have been sending me gold, but I leave a message on their wall to thank them and explain that I am unable to return it.

Okay, then if I did the same way I will have to chose between receive about 3 to 10 gold/day or be sure to have 3 each day. hmm I must think about that ! tyvm doop ;)

hamadrys
04-20-13, 04:00 PM
I have 89 neighbors. I try to keep it under 100. I visit everyone who has gifted a map or visited. I go through the News Feed list twice a day, so I don't miss anyone. I also visit the ones I know well and that are friends.
For gold, I function with 3 gold buddies. If anyone else gifts, I put a message on their wall, explaining I have 3 regulars. I have tried the rotation before, but it wasn't working for me.

annbluebird
04-20-13, 04:20 PM
I have 89 neighbors. I try to keep it under 100. I visit everyone who has gifted a map or visited. I go through the News Feed list twice a day, so I don't miss anyone. I also visit the ones I know well and that are friends.
For gold, I function with 3 gold buddies. If anyone else gifts, I put a message on their wall, explaining I have 3 regulars. I have tried the rotation before, but it wasn't working for me.

yes it s a good way to keep your mind away from brainstorm :)

hamadrys
04-20-13, 04:33 PM
Well you know, people don't remember that they have to wait either, so they send randomly. Next thing you know, my list is all messed up. Not worth the time it takes, in my opinion.

roni122285
04-20-13, 04:59 PM
I try to send to any one who has sent me gold and rotate the ones that gift all the time. Some don't gift everyday so they get gold when I get back to them on my list. I have about 5 or 6 who regularly so they get gold regularly just not everyday. I have like 109 neighbors and some have never sent gold, probably because they had their own regulars, so they have never received gold from me.

glitterbabies
04-20-13, 05:05 PM
I visit the neighbors who visit me and then on the weekends I visit everyone on my neighbors list. As for gifting gold, I've yet to be able to gift gold as far as I know because every time I try it says I've already gifted that person, which I assume is probably a map because I respond to all requests for maps.

To make up for not sending gold I play with dragons and I think that gives them 250 coins per play which is a nice bonus.

sollia
04-20-13, 05:08 PM
I send gold to people who send gold to me and one close friend. I rarely get more than 2-3 gold per day so it all works out.

annbluebird
04-20-13, 05:24 PM
I visit the neighbors who visit me and then on the weekends I visit everyone on my neighbors list. As for gifting gold, I've yet to be able to gift gold as far as I know because every time I try it says I've already gifted that person, which I assume is probably a map because I respond to all requests for maps.

To make up for not sending gold I play with dragons and I think that gives them 250 coins per play which is a nice bonus.

not sure but I guess you know that you only can send 3gold/day so if you select everyone you will receive this "already gifted". maps works on different way, the answer you will receive should be "already ask". forgive me if I said something you "already" know :)

doop01
04-20-13, 05:37 PM
Glitterbabies, the way that I send is one at a time. The first time you open your game after 're-set' , there will be a list of neighbors who have sent you gold. From there I choose the neighbor, press return gift and send. I do it one at a time to make sure that I have returned to the person that I wanted without the chance of making a mistake :)

roni122285
04-20-13, 05:51 PM
Glitterbabies, the way that I send is one at a time. The first time you open your game after 're-set' , there will be a list of neighbors who have sent you gold. From there I choose the neighbor, press return gift and send. I do it one at a time to make sure that I have returned to the person that I wanted without the chance of making a mistake :)

As long as you don't select more than 3 neighbors after you hit the return gift button the person you hit return for should still get one of your 3 daily gifts. If that helps any ...

roni122285
04-20-13, 05:54 PM

Also to add to annbluebird said about this I've noticed that if I hit the "return gift"button and only send one gift I sometimes can't send any more so you may be doing that.

chiefdragon
04-20-13, 05:57 PM
I have over 500 neighbor so it's impossible for me to visit them all everyday or give them all gold due to 3 limit. I only give gold to those who give me gold and visit those who have visited my place or gave me maps. I play daily so everyone who ask for maps, for sure you'll get it from me on same day unless you've reached your max map limit which I think is 20 daily.

annbluebird
04-20-13, 06:06 PM
I have over 500 neighbor so it's impossible for me to visit them all everyday or give them all gold due to 3 limit. I only give gold to those who give me gold and visit those who have visited my place or gave me maps. I play daily so everyone who ask for maps, for sure you'll get it from me on same day unless you've reached your max map limit which I think is 20 daily.

but you maybe need to keep an history of who sent because if you receive more than 3gold/day everyday you cant gift back to everyone ?! then how can you manage with that?

kms899
04-20-13, 06:46 PM
I only receive 3 aday from my regular, with others i just reject them as it fair, it's only right that I receive and send.

just a question, to receive a map, your neighbor won't know if you received them or not, is' this the same with gold.

kooky panda
04-20-13, 06:48 PM
I only receive 3 aday from my regular, with others i just reject them as it fair, it's only right that I receive and send.

just a question, to receive a map, your neighbor won't know if you received them or not, is' this the same with gold.

It is the same with gold.

mrngh22
04-20-13, 06:51 PM
I make sure all my neighbors are 3 stars or above, I only have around 30 - 40 so i can easily tip & gift during my downtime everyday.

annbluebird
04-20-13, 06:51 PM

I understand the fair part of rejecting a gift but your neighbor will not be able to send it to another one so why not accept it and tell him not to send again? :)

annbluebird
04-20-13, 06:55 PM
* meant to not send again

Saieen
04-20-13, 07:08 PM
I think you guys may be making this more complicated than it needs to be (or maybe I am being to simple-minded ^o^). Do you really have to reject gold, keep spreadsheets, or write on walls you wont gift them back? All I do is accept three gold a day and immediately gift them back. Then the next day I go to the next three on the list. Do I get to all of them everyday? Of course not. Most have been neighbors with me long enough to know that I always gift them back when I can. I assume that if they had a problem with it, they will stop gifting me gold, but I have not had any issues like that come up. If they gift me gold and I know they are not the next three on my list, then I make sure to visit their island and play with their dragons and gift them gold when they turn up in my cycle (usually the next day or two). At least that keeps my neighbors happy and the cycle continues. I could be too laxed about this, but I will say to do whichever works for you and try not to think to much about it :-)

annbluebird
04-20-13, 07:24 PM
I think you guys may be making this more complicated than it needs to be (or maybe I am being to simple-minded ^o^). Do you really have to reject gold, keep spreadsheets, or write on walls you wont gift them back? All I do is accept three gold a day and immediately gift them back. Then the next day I go to the next three on the list. Do I get to all of them everyday? Of course not. Most have been neighbors with me long enough to know that I always gift them back when I can. I assume that if they had a problem with it, they will stop gifting me gold, but I have not had any issues like that come up. If they gift me gold and I know they are not the next three on my list, then I make sure to visit their island and play with their dragons and gift them gold when they turn up in my cycle (usually the next day or two). At least that keeps my neighbors happy and the cycle continues. I could be too laxed about this, but I will say to do whichever works for you and try not to think to much about it :-)

Thank you for sharing your way to manage gifts and all :) I appreciate that you came to share. but there is no need to criticize the way others are playing. This thread is for sharing experiences not to tell that everyone is stupid but you :)

Saieen
04-20-13, 07:33 PM
Thank you for sharing your way to manage gifts and all :) I appreciate that you came to share. but there is no need to criticize the way others are playing. This thread is for sharing experiences not to tell that everyone is stupid but you :)

WOW, I didnt realize you took it that way... I didnt mean it like that at all. I do believe this is a good thread for others to share experiences on how they manage neighbors. I honestly thought I was helping out. If your feel I am not contributing, then I will mosey on out of this thread. I in no way think none of these answers are "stupid" as you call it. I honestly was trying to offer an alternative that works for me. Regardless, I hope you find the answers you are looking for ^o^

annbluebird
04-20-13, 07:39 PM
WOW, I didnt realize you took it that way... I didnt mean it like that at all. I do believe this is a good thread for others to share experiences on how they manage neighbors. I honestly thought I was helping out. If your feel I am not contributing, then I will mosey on out of this thread. I in no way think none of these answers are "stupid" as you call it. I honestly was trying to offer an alternative that works for me. Regardless, I hope you find the answers you are looking for ^o^

I m sorry, I re read your post and saw that I didnt understand what you really meant. but there isnt an edit button so I couldnt delete my post. well I had to use google translation to understand the way you were talking and yes you are right it was a good way to not torture our minds about who how and when . I wish I could remove my last post. I apologize.

Saieen
04-20-13, 07:47 PM
I m sorry, I re read your post and saw that I didnt understand what you really meant. but there isnt an edit button so I couldnt delete my post. well I had to use google translation to understand the way you were talking and yes you are right it was a good way to not torture our minds about who how and when . I wish I could remove my last post. I apologize.

It is no problem. It is good you said something, because many times, messages can get misintrepeted (especially in forums, text messages and e-mails). That has happened to me countless times, so please dont worry about it :-) My way is definently not the best way to do it, which is why others should contribute to this thread with questions and comments to help other players.

kwhales
04-20-13, 07:56 PM

Do not decline the gold gift. THe player who sent to you will not know you declined it and will not be able to gift it again. So collect the gold and give back when you can. Most neighbors understand because they are all in the same situation. Receving more then giving. So take with pride and give when you can.

midnightmeerkat
04-20-13, 08:08 PM

I didn't think that saieen was criticising, she was just expressing her opinion that keeping excel spreadsheets etc seems a bit complicated for her..... that would be too complicated for me as well. IMHO

fagoggil
04-20-13, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=doop01;604598]Glitterbabies, the way that I send is one at a time. The first time you open your game after 're-set' , there will be a list of neighbors who have sent you gold. From there I choose the neighbor, press return gift and send. I do it one at a time to make sure that I have returned to the person that I wanted without the chance of making a mistake :)[/QUOTE I do this too first gift gets gifted back. If less than 3 then whoever gifted the most gets gift. I Also go through my neighbor list every 2-3 weeks. I delete those who do not respond by visiting or sending maps. I have about 60 neighbors & visit and respond to requests daily. the purpose of neighbors is to help each other how can you do that if you do not visit or send maps?

chiefdragon
04-20-13, 08:43 PM
but you maybe need to keep an history of who sent because if you receive more than 3gold/day everyday you cant gift back to everyone ?! then how can you manage with that?

Yes I do keep a history and I write down everyday on my wall who I gave gold to on that day. I also visit everyone in my news feed and also those who post in my wall as my appreciation for their gifts and for visiting my place.

Dracoseven16
04-20-13, 09:06 PM
I've been playing for awhile, I have about 700 neighbors now, this is because I never turn down a neighbor request. Once and a while go out and find beginners I can help or just good neighbor to have, sure most of those 700 may be inactive, but I don't remove anyone either, those are just my standards, I'll visit back anyone who visits me and will sometimes check up on inactive neighbors of mine to see if all's well, by the way if any of you posting on this wall wish to add me:

My ID's - Dracoseven16.

Thank you, k Seeya!!!

chiefdragon
04-20-13, 09:07 PM

I totally agree with you Saleen and this is what I do too.

dairine2003
04-20-13, 09:24 PM
I just accept all gold and then gift back in the order received. If I receive 6 gold one day, the first 3 get gifted back and then the second 3 are gifted the next day. It all works out in the end I guess.

chiefdragon
04-20-13, 09:25 PM
I've been playing for awhile, I have about 700 neighbors now, this is because I never turn down a neighbor request. Once and a while go out and find beginners I can help or just good neighbor to have, sure most of those 700 may be inactive, but I don't remove anyone either, those are just my standards, I'll visit back anyone who visits me and will sometimes check up on inactive neighbors of mine to see if all's well, by the way if any of you posting on this wall wish to add me:

My ID's - Dracoseven16.

Thank you, k Seeya!!!

Same here. I never rejected a request nor remove anyone on my list. I recalled one of my neighbor wrote down in my wall that she'll remove her neighbors with low social rating. I don't want to do that since I know others play actively and send me maps or gold frequently but seldom visits my place. I really don't care if my neighbor visits me or not but I will make sure that I visit back those who visited my place and gave me gifts/maps, accept their map request and give back their gold gift.

sand
04-20-13, 10:41 PM
I accept every invitation regardless of social rating. I never dictate play style. My neighbors are free to visit or not; free to leave 1-6 bonuses or not; free to grant requests for maps/materials or not; free to gift gold or not. I never delete unless someone offends me.
I have NEARLY 800 NEIGHBORS! I'm darn sure not interested in managing them. LOL

Spreadsheeting is not a bad idea. For those who log gifts in a notebook, Excel would save you loads of time; it only seems more complicated at the face of it. It might have been my method, had I started the data entry BEFORE I had hundreds of neighbors. I used to be one of the notebook loggers, but within a couple months it became impossible.

How I gift: (A) gifts received in my first 2 months of play were issued tickets, 3 of which are randomly drawn, lottery style on days that are NOT prime numbers; (B) gifts that match 3 preselected prime numbers are instantly returned on days that are prime numbers. I'm phasing out the lottery because the instant gift-number match is so much easier and requires no record-keeping. The downside to returning gifts long after receipt is that the senders may no longer be active. Nothing beats a same-day return.

How I visit: Psshh! Opportunity, plain and simple. If I see your link, whether on my newsfeeds, my wall, some other wall, I may drop by. But I get a lot of traffic. I couldn't respond to every post on my wall if I tried; and those aren't even all my visits.

Sand is my ID, Sand is my name, and Aetherlands is my island. Come play with my 123 dragons!

Vivi_Aireta
04-21-13, 01:06 AM
Just go along my list to find out a top 3 senders of everyday (accumulated bars of gold defines by colours)
Then give back to that 3 neighbors and bring them down 2 steps
(such as from light blue to light green and a gold bars he own me from 11 to 9)

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/7250/010uh.jpg

That mean I will return 1 after receive 2 of gold bars
And next few days if they can make themself rise up to top 3 again
I will return them 1 gold and bring them down 2 steps again and agin and again :)

PS. I'm not good in english so sorry if I use a wrong grammar or make you cunfuse what I want to say :)

chiefdragon
04-21-13, 06:49 AM
The good thing about having hundreds of neighbors, you can get all the maps you need for expansion quickly. The only hard thing is selecting all their names one by one. Wish TL would put a SELECT ALL button when you send a request for maps to your neighbors.

lollipop_rp
04-21-13, 06:55 AM
I have three gold buddies. When we gift each other, I might have a newbie gift me randomly. I gift them anyways when I feel nice. I feel bad sometimes considering their new.
Anyways, playing is very hard. I dint have time for playing with about 35 neighbors a day. I know it's not a lot but yeah...
I usually try to play with whoever plays at my place

karamsay
04-21-13, 09:59 AM
It would be truly impossible for me to gift back gold to everyone that sends it, so I use a somewhat "random" system... I send back to whoever is the oldest sitting on the "gift back" list. Unless of course it's my own iPod or iPhone account. I skip those & go to the next oldest.

As for visiting, I spend a couple hours a day visiting those that have posted on my wall. If I still have time, I move on to the news feed. If I have still more time, I visit my remaining neighbors in order of social rating. I figure that those who visit others regularly are usually the ones who find it important that I visit them.

Aside from that, I just send maps & respond to other requests as they come in.

annbluebird
04-21-13, 11:47 AM
I read your posts and I was thinking that we have to make a choice when we play :
- one is a bit like brainstorming : accept only a few neighbors visit and send daily making a rotation between everyone trying not to let someone "alone in the dark". This could work like a little shop, this one where you go when you notice that it s very late and you need some sugar :)
- the other is more simple : accept every neighbor request, visit and send randomly / selecting from the top list / with a preference for some great neighbors. This could be compare to a supermarket where you go for the heavy packs of milk, food for the dog or else :)
what could be interesting is to compare how much you receive/day with both way of playing.

I saw an excel list ;) was heavy but interesting ! mine is easier ^^ everyone act like they feel the best.
Thank you very much !

(why I opened this thread is because I began to play with 10 neighbors then because of some maps needs I went to keep 12 - 15 and 20 neighbors lol then I had my first shivers :) because I liked to visit and talk with everyone (like a kid cant stop eating candies I could say)
and I came here, read the forum and meet some very nice people and grew until 36 neighbors actually. Thisscared me because I wouldnt like to remove anyone and would like to keep on sending gifts and send a little word to all. Well someone said something like "we all are in the same boat"
I feel better then ;) I m sure my neighbors will understand !)

annbluebird
04-21-13, 11:54 AM
It would be truly impossible for me to gift back gold to everyone that sends it, so I use a somewhat "random" system... I send back to whoever is the oldest sitting on the "gift back" list. Unless of course it's my own iPod or iPhone account. I skip those & go to the next oldest.

As for visiting, I spend a couple hours a day visiting those that have posted on my wall. If I still have time, I move on to the news feed. If I have still more time, I visit my remaining neighbors in order of social rating. I figure that those who visit others regularly are usually the ones who find it important that I visit them.

Aside from that, I just send maps & respond to other requests as they come in.

I m glad to read that because I was gifting a lot when I had only 12 neighbors and I asked once for one gift back as I had send to him about 15gold/3 weeks - answer was "I cant you are not in my top list"... I found that very unfair and removed him. Thank you for taking care of the "oldest" gifts ^^