PDA

View Full Version : Skunkupines are going extinct

jovanisto
04-14-13, 12:26 PM
I ****ed too many of the suckers ! I knew it ! Now they can't reproduce any more and are going extinct ! I only see fang beasts and trolls, did not see a skunkupine in days !

TL please can you add rat tails to the gift list ?!

Edit:
Skunkupines tend to spawn when collecting from:
* Flowers
* Crops like corm, tomatoes, wheat and sugar cane
* Chopping trees
* Chopping rocks
* Pepe le skunkupine

Lovecupines tend to spawn when collecting from valentine buildings, plants and animals

Rats tails can also drop from:
* Ivy's Hut
* Pepe le skunkupine

roosfamily
04-14-13, 12:52 PM
I ****ed too many of the suckers ! I knew it ! Now they can't reproduce any more and are going extinct ! I only see fang beasts and trolls, did not see a skunkupine in days !

Totally agree: please add rat tails to the gifting list and maybe let other beast drop them. They are too rare. Ty

lucitine
04-14-13, 03:21 PM
I read somewhere that certain things trigger different beasts.
Skunkupines trigger through sugar cane, flowers and something else.
Fangbeasts trigfer through animals and strawberries.

k2togyo
04-14-13, 03:37 PM
Lately every time I harvest crops I get two or three. If anything they've increased in numbers. Of course I'm in Florida where its been very warm most of the winter, so they probably got an early start to the breeding season. Try harvesting wheat or sugarcane.

vchanhs
04-14-13, 05:05 PM
There was a time not too long ago when people tried to trap the beast in one corner to stop them from appearing. Now it's retribution time..... Lol...

catcrack
04-14-13, 06:16 PM
Knocked out about 10 today, no reduction at my place.

(=^ェ^=)

jovanisto
04-14-13, 09:37 PM
I used to trap trolls. Not skunkupines. I was maxed out in tails anyway. I harvested this week strawberries, wheat, glimmerbulbs, and carrots - no stinky.

plby
04-14-13, 10:15 PM
You don't get skunkupines from strawberries, glimmerbulbs or carrots. Wheat, sugar cane, chopping trees and tending flowers tend to trigger them.

newzealander
04-15-13, 12:55 AM
It can't be the weather - we're just coming out of a hot summer here, and they've gone into hibernation already. None for days. Maybe they are heading your way, Jovanisto. I agree, it would be great to have them either on the gift list (although I am a big fan of all gifting each other earth wisps since we all need them), or have them appear out of the wells. After all, don't rats like wet drains?

Cesar49
04-15-13, 05:54 AM
I planted 8 ears of corn 'cos I fancied grits for breakfast and got two of the blighters. They loooove corn!

plby
04-15-13, 06:21 AM
Maybe they should drop from cottages, after all all knight era housing likely had a lot of rats

jovanisto
04-15-13, 07:21 AM
I agree it can't be the weather. We had a very mild winter here with maybe two days below 40 F. Now it's alreayd in the 80f. Wheat also does not do it for me. I tried flowers this morning and i did get one skunk. That's a pity, i'm maxxed out in all colors of petals and there is no flower trade !

theshellybean
04-15-13, 08:33 AM
I get tons of skunkupines every time I harvest items in my garden. Lately I've been growing carrots, wheat and sugarcane and I can't harvest more than 3 plots without a skunkupine popping up and getting in the way.

roosfamily
04-15-13, 02:04 PM
I get tons of skunkupines every time I harvest items in my garden. Lately I've been growing carrots, wheat and sugarcane and I can't harvest more than 3 plots without a skunkupine popping up and getting in the way.

Send them to me! I harvest wheat sugar cane tomato but no one. Some days I'm lucky and got one or two. Hard to keep my knights going Explore dark caves.

theshellybean
04-15-13, 02:28 PM
Send them to me! I harvest wheat sugar cane tomato but no one. Some days I'm lucky and got one or two. Hard to keep my knights going Explore dark caves.

I wish I could! Getting tired of using energy on them. I'm not as far as you are in the game so to me, right now, they're a pain in the butt.

jovanisto
04-15-13, 08:21 PM
Well you don't really spend energy on them given that you get it back. I have gone through 4 crops of corn one of wheat to no abail today. Trying tomatoes... I got one mining an iron rich rock.

konstans07
04-17-13, 11:10 AM
Totally agree!! I have about 50 plots , collecting sugar or wheat and if I found one skunk I'm having a party!!!
I think it's very rare.
Also, Please send this fangbeast back to mars it's very annoying!!
I parked one of those at the corner , but now I need the tails from skunk.....

mamareader02
04-17-13, 11:18 AM
Yeah,need more skunks,so annoyed with the fang beast I hit that sword button hard ,it sometimes comes within seconds of just beating another one!

konstans07
04-17-13, 11:34 AM
Sorry , I want to correct my previous comment. Not the fangbeast, the other the green one !!
Can't even remember the name!! Totally erased from my mind loool

jovanisto
04-18-13, 07:30 AM
Definitely extinct. Been collecting sugar, tomatoes, chopping trees for wood/ sap i don't need (maxed out) and watering flowers for petals i don't need (maxed out in all colors) and not one. Not. One.

konstans07
04-18-13, 11:07 AM
Today I chopped more than 60 sugar or wheet. Only 3 skunk appeared.
Although with the strawberries the fangbeast pops out much more often. Much much more often.
So annoying....

blondiellie
04-18-13, 01:08 PM
I'm finding the same thing. I don't understand why my drop rates seem to decrease as soon as I start actually needing the supplies.....

RosieM7
04-18-13, 03:37 PM
I'm only getting skunkupines when I tend flowers (pink ones for valentine flowers)

marrrina
04-19-13, 05:52 AM
Rat tails definitely need to be a gift now. After all, fur is! Because of the rare fruit trade I really only grow strawberries and glimmerbulb which do not cause skunkupines to appear, and I don't need petals (or don't have the energy to waste collecting from flowers) so I can't really trigger them that way. I'm so tired of fangbeasts and trolls!

lotuskat
04-19-13, 10:10 AM
I'm being overrun by fangbeasts! I'm surprised they haven't eaten up all my cows! At least they occasionally drop fur though.

sdwombat
04-19-13, 10:45 AM
I'm being overrun by fangbeasts! I'm surprised they haven't eaten up all my cows! At least they occasionally drop fur though.

Me too! I have to fight multiple beasts off @ every collect. Well, I just tell myself that I need the items they drop for trade @ the Royal Exchange & that TL is just helping me out. Well, if that's the case, I wish they'd help me out with spellbook drops for my 2 Wizard Schools LOL!!

sdwombat
04-19-13, 10:46 AM

Same here! I am usually guaranteed @ least 2 for each little 9 plot square that I harvest.

stormidwombat
04-19-13, 12:24 PM
just harvested some tomatoes, first for a long time, and after five toms I got one of the little furries

fitfunsparkle
04-19-13, 02:07 PM
I just got attacked twice by skunkupines while harvesting 9 plots of tomatoes. Good thing, i needed some rat tails!

newzealander
04-19-13, 05:14 PM
I'm finding the same thing. I don't understand why my drop rates seem to decrease as soon as I start actually needing the supplies.....

I'm glad it's not just me that suspects this. I cleared 40 wheat and got no Skunkupines, and yet I am desperate for rats tails.

newzealander
04-19-13, 05:57 PM

I'm glad it's not just me that suspects this. I cleared 40 wheat and got no Skunkupines, and yet I am desperate for rats tails.

vchanhs
04-19-13, 08:54 PM
I am also getting very few skunkupines. Most of my rat tails are coming from ivy hut and lovecupines.

maguar
04-19-13, 09:04 PM
I think they've invaded my kingdom instead. I just got three from my wheat field.

newzealander
04-19-13, 09:09 PM
I think they've invaded my kingdom instead. I just got three from my wheat field.

Lol. Rats can swim; send them across the ditch, Maguar. I can't believe I am saying this, but a small rat infestation would be nice right about now!

riisak
04-19-13, 11:35 PM
Hi there! Different items spawn different monsters. I used to think that skunkupines phased out because I levelled too high, but really it's just because I wasn't harvesting wheat or corn anymore!!

Here is the thread I made, and a lot of people were kind enough to make suggestions. Good luck!

http://forums.teamlava.com/showthread.php?48988-Trick-to-spawning-skunkupines

konstans07
04-21-13, 04:42 AM
I realized that corn gives me the most skunks!
As I am maxed out with wheet or sugar, I prefer to keep my energy to plant corn and have the tails I need from the rats in 3 minutes than waiting 2/4 hours for the others.

lotuskat
04-22-13, 07:17 AM
Wheat harvesting usually nets me a skunkupine, sometimes two!

jadefitta
04-22-13, 08:06 AM
Lately every time I harvest crops I get two or three. If anything they've increased in numbers. Of course I'm in Florida where its been very warm most of the winter, so they probably got an early start to the breeding season. Try harvesting wheat or sugarcane.

Send some my way please i havent seen trolls fangbeast or skunkupines in day and i need rat tail and bones :(

jovanisto
04-22-13, 11:30 AM
Wheat gives me fangbeasts. Corn gives me nothing !

konstans07
04-23-13, 12:33 PM
Wheat gives me fangbeasts. Corn gives me nothing !

Wheat gives me skunks! And corn gives me more skunks as I'm waiting only 3 minutes !
Lately I plant only corn for those tails...

arikasi
04-23-13, 01:25 PM
Gah!!! This is so frustrating I've been hunting one of these guys for days, harvesting wheat and cane. I have Thurstons in his armor but no new quest. I searched the board and found that you have to **** a skunk to trigger the next quest. I've had about a week of trolls galore, one loveupine and a few fangs but the critter I need seems to have migrated somewhere else this month!

I'm also amidst the market quests that give gems so I have had zero spare energy, guess I just keep going and will try corn when I get do.

arikasi
04-23-13, 01:47 PM
Oh this is ironic, I popped a skunk after complaining lol. I've been chopping down trees for the last day getting the wood for the knowledge shard quest, and now at the very end of the 125 wood, bingo! Skunkupine!!!

angellahg
05-04-13, 01:57 PM

I got 3 from harvesting tomatoes today.

tmh690
05-05-13, 07:19 AM
I have the best luck getting them when I harvest corn - I got 9 yesterday.

HNO3
05-10-13, 12:28 AM
I got a couple of skunks today off sugar cane, but I swear the trolls have gone into hiding. I've been trying to get one last horn for the troll hunter trade for two days, and have only turned up one hornless troll. On the bright side, at least I'm not low on glimmerdust any more.

omniBliss
05-10-13, 09:34 AM
I tested/chopped each type of TREE and the only ones that produce skunkupines are
-Aspen Tree
-Crab Apple Tree
All of the other trees produces other beasts and the Elm tree and Dead tree didnt produce anything.

Only crops that produce skunkupines so far are... (From most to least, In my experience)
-Tomatoes (best)
-corn
-wheat
-Sugar cane (not so good)

-All of the regular FLOWERS especially the Iceland poppy patch (white flowers).

-All of the valentine FLOWERS including
-Fluttermush ring (Valentine mushroom circle) pop out loveupines they are valuable because of their rat tails

blondiellie
05-10-13, 10:23 AM
I wish skunkpines would come up for more types of things. I never collect from flowers or chop trees because I don't need those for building or for the exchange and most crops and all animals I need produce other monsters.

kooky panda
05-10-13, 10:30 AM
I wish skunkpines would come up for more types of things. I never collect from flowers or chop trees because I don't need those for building or for the exchange and most crops and all animals I need produce other monsters.

I keep these when collecting my wheat and sugar cane .

bluebellgirl68
05-10-13, 11:04 AM
I've found tomatoes are the best trigger, especially when all you want is tomatoes and not skunkupines you seem to get loads! I once got three of the little critters off one circuit of collecting from 9 plots. And as for fang beasts I'm sick of the sight of them!

petal209
05-29-13, 05:16 PM
They have fled my kingdom too. Last week I got a pink one but I harvest wheat, corn, sugar cane and flowers everyday.

RotomGuy
05-30-13, 12:52 AM
I only ever find them from Trees, now. Everything else spawns a Fangbeast.

freesiawoods
06-14-13, 10:38 AM
I have noticed a sudden increase in skunkupines rate. These last two days I am getting more than a few a day so I can make hot sauce again.
Pink animals are pretty good for spawning lovecupines too, I get more than one a day in total from my two pink cows and one pink chicken, very rsrely from the pink sheep.

wendelter
06-14-13, 10:42 AM
Yes, I am harvesting a lot of wheat for a quest, and I get skunkupines almost every time I harvest, :)

jimboser
09-15-13, 11:51 AM
I've been trying to get these guys to appear, sugar cane, wheel, trees, flowers, all drawing fangbeasts or trolls.

midnightmeerkat
09-15-13, 12:36 PM
I've been trying to get these guys to appear, sugar cane, wheel, trees, flowers, all drawing fangbeasts or trolls.

Corn will draw skunkupines and only takes 3min to grow

jimboser
09-15-13, 08:49 PM
I meant wheat above, not wheel. :). Corn does seem to work, even though I'm maxed, it seems to be the only way I can draw those beasties out.

I did find a lovecupine, and saw that it did drop rattails, so that's helpful too.

DrP4ever
09-15-13, 10:04 PM
I brought my flowers back out and collected from them. They worked the best for skunkupines and rat tails.

Oliver118
09-15-13, 10:50 PM

White Trillium and Iceland Poppies are very good Skunkupine attractors. They are also attracted by Corn, Wheat and Tomato (not sure about the Tomato)

Fangbeasts are attracted by collecting from animals, particularly Cows and Chickens, collecting from town buildings and animal resource buildings (Stable and Hatchery)

Glimmer trolls are triggered by collecting from Royal buildings, non-animal resource buildings, mushrooms and other non-animal things such as trees or rock piles

If you do run out of Rat Tails, Ivy's Hut is a very good source of Rat Tails.

Oliver118
09-15-13, 10:51 PM

Trees are for attracting trolls:)

dimitarbt
09-16-13, 02:57 AM
I have a 4x5 Sugar Cane patch, how is that I get at least 4 of these skunkupines every time...that's really too much.

jimboser
10-16-13, 06:56 AM
If you have the Love Shack and have a pink cow, pig, or chicken, collecting from those animals will sometimes trigger a Lovecupine, which also will drop a rat tail for you. That's come in handy here more than a few times.

outhouse01
10-18-13, 04:21 AM
Come on, are TL taking the p--s out of us. Harvested a plot of 12 strawberries - total 3 fangs beasts. Touched 1 cow - another one. Tried a chicken - 1 more. Just harvested a plot of 33 wheat - a total of 1 skunk. This is a common occurrence for me and is now getting beyond a joke.

meme1098
10-18-13, 06:51 AM
I need fur to finish my amphi theater but the last 4 skunkupines & fang beasts gave none. :mad: That is the first time ever that has happened....no fur from either of those beasts. I get fur all the time defeating them. So I know for sure now this game knows what you need and adjusts drops accordingly.:mad:

tigarlilyvol
10-26-13, 07:44 PM
Trying to find red petals in tall grass and those pesky rodents started popping up chopped up 12 today!

glimmergate
10-28-13, 11:22 AM
Come on, are TL taking the p--s out of us. Harvested a plot of 12 strawberries - total 3 fangs beasts. Touched 1 cow - another one. Tried a chicken - 1 more. Just harvested a plot of 33 wheat - a total of 1 skunk. This is a common occurrence for me and is now getting beyond a joke.

I hate to say it, but that's just bad luck :( The droprate for the Fangbeast, Skunkupine, and Troll is all exactly the same!

glimmergate
10-28-13, 11:39 AM
I need fur to finish my amphi theater but the last 4 skunkupines & fang beasts gave none. :mad: That is the first time ever that has happened....no fur from either of those beasts. I get fur all the time defeating them. So I know for sure now this game knows what you need and adjusts drops accordingly.:mad:

Aww, it really makes me sad when I see stuff like this! Our system is just not that sophisticated - and why should it be? Regular randomness is difficult enough! I actually wish we had a way to make drops MORE reliable for you guys, not less. Anyways, I just wanted to chime in and let you know that while bad luck stinks, we definitely don't manipulate droprates like that and have NO plans to ever add in a system like that.

Good luck with the fur! Make sure you're collecting from Ivy's Hut every day, it does drop fur sometimes. Also if you have a Manticore (which you can earn after you get Sabina), they also drop a fair amount of fur.

mymummy789
10-28-13, 01:20 PM

sounds like my kingdom as well. I only have to breathe on my cows and hens and the fangbeast turns up, but I have harvested all 50 plots of wheat/corn or sugar cane and no skunkupine has turned up

jimboser
10-29-13, 10:08 AM
Aww, it really makes me sad when I see stuff like this! Our system is just not that sophisticated - and why should it be? Regular randomness is difficult enough! I actually wish we had a way to make drops MORE reliable for you guys, not less. Anyways, I just wanted to chime in and let you know that while bad luck stinks, we definitely don't manipulate droprates like that and have NO plans to ever add in a system like that.

Pseudocode:

drop_item(itemKey) {
i = random(1,5) ## 1 in 5 chance of item
if (i = 1) {
return(true) ## Hit the lucky number!
}
## Give them another chance if they are low on item
if (userInventory(itemKey) < (maxLimit(itemKey) / 2) {
i = random(1,2) ## 50/50 shot at item
if (i = 1) {
return(true) ## Hit the lucky number!
}
}
return(false)
}

In english, an item may have a drop rate of 20% (1 in 5). If the user doesn't get a drop, do a separate check to see how many of that item they have. If they have less than half the maximum number of an item (99 for most), then give them a 50/50 shot at having the item drop.

The above code will fail if the max limit is only 1 or 2, but that's just to show that there are some ways the drop code could be tweaked to take the pain out of the random drops and still be random.

BriarAvenue
10-29-13, 11:06 PM
I got those pink little guys from pink mushroom rings, n maxed out once.

amberly321
10-30-13, 09:02 AM
Have to agree with others. I am plagued with fangbeasts & trolls but rarely am visited by skunkupines even when harvesting wheat or corn. Lately have had more luck attracting them when harvesting flower petals & mushroom rings. Have been making more ink lately which has caused me to go out & smell the flowers :)

caius76
12-01-13, 10:00 AM
I hate to say it, but that's just bad luck :( The droprate for the Fangbeast, Skunkupine, and Troll is all exactly the same!

No way. I just collected from four animals and get three fangbeasts. I can collect from 20 wheat/corn/tomato and barely get a skunkupine. Ok, so that run of fangbeasts is a little worse than normal, but this overall ratio is consistent, has been for the almost year I've been playing.

dng1234
12-01-13, 11:24 AM
If anyone wants to send their extra fangbeasts my way please feel free. I have trolls running amok and need the FB's for the bones and teeth.

ghjvcucjb
12-01-13, 11:28 AM
If anyone wants to send their extra fangbeasts my way please feel free. I have trolls running amok and need the FB's for the bones and teeth.

Hahaha! Then can you send my way?! I only a couple more bones and about 7 creep tooth to finish the last caravan and have checked out every bush, tree, chicken, sheep, cow. Here fancy fangs, come cout come out where ever you are! The good news is I've replenished most of my drained supplies!

ghjvcucjb
12-01-13, 11:29 AM
Wish there was an edit button or a slow down before you hit post button

meme1098
12-01-13, 02:50 PM
I still say the game knows what you need and slows down the rate at which you can collect it.
I can harvest sugar or wheat and get a skunkupine every 2-3 plots. I can collect from farm animals or the stable & hatchery and get fangbeasts constantly there too. But....if I need the fur or rattails, its a whole other story altogether. They become scarce.

dng1234
12-01-13, 06:22 PM
I'm sitting at 88% for the teeth and 89% for the bones. I swear I haven't seen a fang beast since this sweepstake thing started.

bigtail2
12-01-13, 09:26 PM
I'm sitting at 88% for the teeth and 89% for the bones. I swear I haven't seen a fang beast since this sweepstake thing started.

I am having the exact same problem. I have collected almost exclusively from animals/stables/red crops and can't get fangbeasts. I am feeling pretty aggravated that I already loaded so many of my other supplies into the caravan, because I am starting to feel that this quest is impossible to complete and therefore nothing more than an impetus to sell gems. And really, $25K? Anyone with the ability to gather that much stuff doesn't need that little bit of cash.

dng1234
12-02-13, 05:59 PM
Apparently my complaining opened the fang beasts floodgates after a strawberry harvest. Then they moved on to my animals. I'm sending them your way ghjvcucjb. :)

ghjvcucjb
12-02-13, 07:39 PM
Apparently my complaining opened the fang beasts floodgates after a strawberry harvest. Then they moved on to my animals. I'm sending them your way ghjvcucjb. :)

Thank you! I'm standing by with sword in hand, knees slightly bent, brow knitted together, teeth clenched with a tough snarl on my face, waiting...

dori1102
02-25-14, 01:00 PM
If you see this picture, you know for sure they don't have the same appearance rate:mad:

rachmac07
02-25-14, 02:13 PM
I just harvested 30 wheat crops and got 7 skunkupines. I assure you I have them ALL in my kingdom :(

Queenzod
02-25-14, 04:51 PM
I just harvested 30 wheat crops and got 7 skunkupines. I assure you I have them ALL in my kingdom :(

Stop hogging! Lol

maguar
02-26-14, 03:30 PM
If you see this picture, you know for sure they don't have the same appearance rate:mad:

They do have different triggers so part of the differenc could be you're focusing on more troll friendly actions.

roguebee
02-26-14, 08:12 PM
About every other day, my pet skunkupine triggers a wild skunkupine attack, so it's like a two for one treat, and sometimes I get three tails inall.

superjase
01-02-15, 04:13 AM
i have just harvested 80 sugar, corn and wheat. i have harvested over 20 flowers and over 10 woods. no skunkupine. there are no other beasts in my kingdom. what am i doing wrong?

inxieq
01-02-15, 04:52 AM
Every time a gem building comes available eg skunkhouse the drops these buildings offer becomes very rare so I cave and bought a skunkhouse the only rat tails I have in my inventory is from my skunkhouse. I rarely if ever get a rat tail if a skunkpine does appear. I was really struggling with the mermaid scales too I used all my energy and rarely got a mermaid scale and bought the pond however I unlocked the shard so my mermaid scale drops have increased. I think tl does it deliberately to ensure the sale of gem purchased buildings.

superjase
01-02-15, 04:55 AM
are you talking about the faerie skunkhouse?

inxieq
01-02-15, 04:59 AM
are you talking about the faerie skunkhouse?

Yes that is correct.