PDA

View Full Version : Gold cost taxed?

Susyalba
03-20-13, 11:25 AM
Okay, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I was playing and buying gold through google play. Now I'm using apple (aps?) for the iPad....and the first time I purchased gold since switching , I notice I was charged tax for the gold purchase. Is this normal? Why would apple collect tax and not google? I tried downloading the valentines day dragon story using google, but it wouldn't let me. Any ideas around this?

riisak
03-20-13, 01:48 PM
Yes, this is normal.

itunes automatically charges tax IF your billing address is within a state that requires tax on e-transactions. They crosscheck the billing address with your card information though, so you can't fudge the info to get around it.

Based on what you've said, google must not charge taxes. So that would be your workaround.

MazReptile
03-20-13, 01:54 PM
That's why I buy prepaid iTunes cards, and not use a debit / credit card

kwhales
03-20-13, 02:46 PM
I believe it depends on the state you live in and if there is any Google or Apple companies in your state. I never had to pay sales tax when buying from Google (amazon) until they opened a distribution center in my state. Now I have to pay sales tax on all purchases.

Baraze
03-20-13, 02:49 PM
Thats why I like buying on android. The price is the price, final and all. I hate how itunes tax for every little thing.

verrana
03-25-13, 11:21 AM
I can't avoid the tax either way with apple and google. I get charged tax's from both companies, credit card or the iTunes and google play giftcards. My husband said it was required in the USA now any online transaction is now taxable if you live in one of the 50 states of the US. So if it hasn't caught up to ya be thankful lol

NouraMoh
03-25-13, 01:51 PM
Not only the US
I'm in Asia and its happening to me too!
iTunes charged me $39.95 for a $4.99 gold purchase
I didn't know about it until I got my credit card bill
I was shocked to say the least! I thought it was my bank (my card issuer) over charging me
I tried an Internet card but it's just as bad

I got an ITunes card as a birthday gift once and was pleasantly surprised when I saw it charged me exactly the amount I purchased. So I agree with MazReptile, prepaid iTunes cards is the best way to go

sollia
03-25-13, 01:58 PM
Not only the US
I was shocked to say the least! I thought it was my bank (my card issuer) over charging me

I got an ITunes card as a birthday gift once and was pleasantly surprised when I saw it charged me exactly the amount I purchased. So I agree with MazReptile, prepaid iTunes cards is the best way to go

That's....quite a jump if that's a tax. Are you sure that's what it is? Could it be some sort of other error? I just hate to think taxes would do that.

I'm used to buying stuff on an Android phone where everything was charged to ******. I hadn't really thought how changing to iOS might be more expensive.

Also I have to ask why prepaid cards are better. Don't you pay taxes on those too? I've bought iTunes gift cards when they were on sale and I'm fairly certain I was charged the tax rate in my state.

sweetstuff525
03-25-13, 02:08 PM
Not only the US

Solis is correct taxes aren't that high ..... Taxes depending on the package you bought shoul be Less than 2 dollars
I once bought the 4.99 package and was charged 5.35 but that's it

NouraMoh
03-25-13, 06:19 PM
I have no idea why I'm being over charged
I wrote TL, iTunes and my bank
Nobody is giving me a straight answer

kwhales
03-25-13, 06:23 PM
I have no idea why I'm being over charged
I wrote TL, iTunes and my bank
Nobody is giving me a straight answer

Wait. So you buy roughly $5 in gold for $40 bucks. WOW what a tax you pay. I just buy itunes cards. No tax. (in the US at least).

NouraMoh
03-25-13, 06:26 PM
Yeah I stopped using my credit card and my Internet card because of that
Now I buy ITunes cards online.

tonguelashing
03-25-13, 06:30 PM
Yeah I stopped using my credit card and my Internet card because of that
Now I buy ITunes cards online.

Are you sure you didn't buy a more epxensive gold option and taxed accordingly? (the tax sucks either way, and iTunes card is way to go to avoid it for sure). I haven't had this issue, but I use ****** through Google Play (on Android) and it gets billed to a pre-paid credit card which I use specifically for online purchases.

sollia
03-25-13, 06:32 PM
Wait. So you buy roughly $5 in gold for $40 bucks. WOW what a tax you pay. I just buy itunes cards. No tax. (in the US at least).

Actually it varies from state to state in the US. Some states tax online purchases and some don't. I asked my dad if we have it here in Maryland and he said not yet but it's happening really soon.

accisse
03-25-13, 06:37 PM
Not only the US

Was the $39.95 in your currency? As in $4.99 converted to your currency + whatever amount the tax is = $39.95?

tonguelashing
03-25-13, 06:39 PM
Was the $39.95 in your currency? As in $4.99 converted to your currency + whatever amount the tax is = $39.95?

most likely, but that's a HUGE conversion rate if that's true.

kwhales
03-25-13, 06:53 PM
Actually it varies from state to state in the US. Some states tax online purchases and some don't. I asked my dad if we have it here in Maryland and he said not yet but it's happening really soon.

I buy my itunes cards in stores, so I really don't know if I would get taxed on on-line purchases for these.

NouraMoh
03-25-13, 07:29 PM

No, if it's in my currency it would be much cheaper
Cause my currency is like 3.80 times USD

accisse
03-25-13, 07:54 PM
Oh dear, I hope it gets settled for you somehow...

verrana
03-25-13, 08:03 PM
I wish it was that way for me, when I or my husband buy an ITunes card each purchase I make using the ITunes card I get charged taxes for each purchase.

MazReptile
03-26-13, 03:59 AM
I've always bought a ?15 iTunes card every fortnight (as a treat) and never been charged for tax, only the amount for purchases (in app stuff and the odd game) at least that way I'm limiting myself and not spending loads of money

NouraMoh
03-26-13, 05:26 AM
Very wise of you MazReptile
I'm doing the same now..
I keep learning valuable lessons on these forums :)

sollia
03-26-13, 05:59 AM
Hmm, I thought gift cards had sales tax but Google has proven me wrong like always :P

If that's the case I may need to buy them more ofte. I usually only buy iTunes cards when they're on sale $40 for a $50 card.

kooky panda
03-26-13, 10:25 AM
Be careful with visa gift cards. Read the card before buying, some will have a fee attached. The last one I bought my niece had a $6.00 fee, so on her 50.00 card, she really only got $44.00.(I put 6.00 cash in along with her card.LOL)

kwhales
03-26-13, 11:19 AM
Be careful with visa gift cards. Read the card before buying, some will have a fee attached. The last one I bought my niece had a $6.00 fee, so on her 50.00 card, she really only got $44.00.(I put 6.00 cash in along with her card.LOL)

Its not only visa. AMX and MC charges for the purchase of a gift card. Here in PA, its usually, $4.95. But they add that on to the bill so you pay $54.95 for the card.

kms899
03-26-13, 11:50 AM
Not only the US

can you state what currency it is at $39.95, may be it's HKD and it does convert to about USD 5.

NouraMoh
03-26-13, 03:29 PM
No it showed on my bill in US dollars not my currency
39.95 US dollars

It said: " Apple ITunes Store-USD 39.95"