PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question Thread

Melodies4Life
02-21-13, 09:19 PM
Hello All. So I started playing DS about two and a half weeks ago just to pass the time while I waited for project completions in Home Design Story. Well, DS kind of grew on me and I've been playing daily since last week. Actually made it to level 19. ( Let's see if this trend lasts when I return to work).

Anyway, there is so much information contained in these threads and forums, sometimes it's impossible to decipher. I'm confused about some of the goals, specifically, the Dawn Tree. Do I have to clear the Main Island before accessing the Dawn Tree? Then am I required to purchase "Boosts"' whatever that means?

Like so many other goals, does it have 100 parts to it? Of course, there are goals that I will not attempt because they seem ridiculous or another attempt to get me to spend actually cash. No thank you, not at the moment.

Is this goal worth me spending 400k+ on clearing trees, rocks, etc.?

Please enlighten me :-)

kurebiz
02-21-13, 09:33 PM
You'll have to clear the left part of the main island.. the dawn tree is the small island there. In the middle. You'll have to clear it eventually because you'll need space for expansion to get more habitats.

Melodies4Life
02-21-13, 09:50 PM
Good to know. Thank you.

kurebiz
02-21-13, 10:10 PM
For the boosts, you need 10 epic dragons of the colour to get it. After that I believe it can be purchased (with coins) from the market.

boosts will increase the maximum coins your habitats can hold.

kwhales
02-22-13, 04:12 AM
You don't have to clear it, just expand to the small islands. TL will let you know when you can move to the island by having a plot available to expand to. You will need to expand twice. Clearing can be done later. Warning, the boulder in the middle of trees is very expensive to remove.

Melodies4Life
02-22-13, 12:09 PM
Kwhales, thank you for the information. I finally am @level 23 with 6 out of 11 rare dragons ����. I will certainly attempt the Dawn tree goal...

kwhales
02-22-13, 03:29 PM
Kwhales, thank you for the information. I finally am @level 23 with 6 out of 11 rare dragons ����. I will certainly attempt the Dawn tree goal...

No problem. You don't need to rush though. The boosts of coins isn't that great, but the decor is nice. I am at level 94 and still have the light goal to finish.

NeferTsukia
02-22-13, 04:03 PM
No problem. You don't need to rush though. The boosts of coins isn't that great, but the decor is nice. I am at level 94 and still have the light goal to finish.

That's because you didn't get to feed most of them before the food cost update... Ehehe :p
I must have fed 8 or 9 before the food cost was forcibly changed. I didn't update the app because of that. I think hypnotic was either my last, or one of my last ones before completing the goal.

kwhales
02-22-13, 04:18 PM
That's because you didn't get to feed most of them before the food cost update... Ehehe :p
I must have fed 8 or 9 before the food cost was forcibly changed. I didn't update the app because of that. I think hypnotic was either my last, or one of my last ones before completing the goal.

Nahh, I have enough food to feed them all. I just haven't really thought about it. With so many dragons coming out, time wasn't on my side. Someday I will. But I am in no rush.

glitterbabies
04-13-13, 06:19 PM
I got another Magic dragon and I don't need another one so is there a way to get rid of the egg without hatching it so I can avoid having to buy another purple habitat?

I got another firestorm too but had room in the red rocks to put him there and then sold him. I hate giving them up but I don't want a bunch of duplicates.

Also, I read something about trading, how does that work? or can we just give dragons to other people without trading?

sorry for all the questions I've only been playing for 3 days. Thanks in advance for any help.

MomsHouseofSweets
04-13-13, 06:21 PM
You can sell it.

glitterbabies
04-13-13, 06:22 PM
sell the egg? or the dragon once it's hatched?

MomsHouseofSweets
04-13-13, 06:23 PM
sell the egg? or the dragon once it's hatched?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. When the egg hatches, it can be sold. It can't be sold while in egg form.

glitterbabies
04-13-13, 06:32 PM
thanks. I know I can sell it after it hatches but to get it out of the egg I need to put it in a habitat and I don't necessarily want to spend another 24K on a purple habitat just to turn around and sell the dragon. I'm not sure how I got a magic with a honeybee (red/yellow) and a water (blue) LOL.

sweetstuff525
04-13-13, 06:34 PM
thanks. I know I can sell it after it hatches but to get it out of the egg I need to put it in a habitat and I don't necessarily want to spend another 24K on a purple habitat just to turn around and sell the dragon. I'm not sure how I got a magic with a honeybee (red/yellow) and a water (blue) LOL.
Once the egg says ready you can sell it right off the nest... No need to place it

By the way magic got red from honeybee and blue from water

danni7788
04-13-13, 06:36 PM
You can sell it without having to buy a new habitat- just click hatch and there's an option to sell or buy a new habitat. Just click sell instead

glitterbabies
04-13-13, 06:50 PM
You can sell it without having to buy a new habitat- just click hatch and there's an option to sell or buy a new habitat. Just click sell instead

thanks!!

duh red and blue makes purple...I think I need to pay attention to my color wheel from elementary school LOL....

kms899
04-13-13, 10:33 PM
Are you on ios or andriod, for ios you need the extra's to trade for gems, for andriod you can sell them after hatching or keep them and expect trading feature will be available in the near future.

jdmolish
04-21-13, 07:35 AM
Hi everyone,

Im a new to thw game and currently lost in the amount gameplay info. I was wondering if you have any advise/suggestions i can use to start me off. Aside from that, have some specific questions: do have to collect/keep/level-up all the dragons i get or are some dragons i could just sell and do with out? How may of each type of dragon do i get? (For example i currently have at least two each of the basic dragons, fire air water or Get only one of each type?

wishfulthinking13
04-21-13, 07:40 AM
Good morning! I would try to add as many neighbors as you can and start exchanging gold, you will want that during the game. While you have room to keep duplicate dragons you might as well keep them to earn extra coins. Check the forum for the thread about earning coins quickly as a new player... It's all about earning coins and keeping your habitats full of high grossing dragons! Good luck to you!

kwhales
04-21-13, 07:42 AM
Welcome to the game and forum. First of all, it matters if you are IOS or android. You may want to start herehttp://forums.teamlava.com/showthread.php?43317-STARTING-PLAYERS-How-to-get-Rich&highlight=rich

Then just read some threads that interest you. Use the search area upper right corner if you have specific concerns or questions.

Good luck and have fun.

kwhales
04-21-13, 07:42 AM
Oh, forgot to space, here is the newbie thread that may help http://forums.teamlava.com/showthread.php?43317-STARTING-PLAYERS-How-to-get-Rich&highlight=rich

wishfulthinking13
04-21-13, 07:47 AM
Oh, forgot to space, here is the newbie thread that may help http://forums.teamlava.com/showthread.php?43317-STARTING-PLAYERS-How-to-get-Rich&highlight=rich

Thanks I was searching for that thread to help! You beat me to it!

glitterbabies
04-21-13, 07:51 AM
Good Morning

First thing you do is go to the Add Me (http://forums.teamlava.com/showthread.php?49070-Dragon-Story-April-2013&highlight=dragon+story) and ask people to add you as their neighbor. You'll need them when you start expanding for maps and you'll also need them for some of your goals.

Next thing is level up at least one of each of the basic dragons to 4 because you can't breed until they are at that level. Once you have level 4 dragons start trying combos to get different dragons. I got a honeybee on my second breed with a fire/air combo and it's a high earning dragon so that helped me building up some coins.

Then visit islands of your neighbors so they will in turn visit your island. this gives you bonus coins when they come and play with your dragons and helps you also build up coins.

I have only been playing a little over a week and I'm at level 25 and have a pretty good start on a variety of dragons so I've eliminated a lot of my duplicates but something I learned by trial and error is to keep at least one of each of the basic (air/fire/water/forest) for purity reasons because when you get a light dragon you need those to get some of the dragons you're looking for. (I got rid of my air to make room in a habitat thinking I didn't need it only to have to buy and hatch a new one in order to try for a leopard).

anyway, I invited you to be my neighbor. I play a lot throughout the day and always respond to requests for maps.

Good luck and have fun. It's highly addictive.

kurebiz
04-21-13, 07:54 AM
It depends on your playing style - do you aim to collect all the dragons? Or are you willing to not have some for whatever reasons (eg: you don't fancy the look of the dragon)?

The current maximum number of habitats is 43, for basic dragons (1 colour, especially those that you purchase with coins, just 1 will suffice). For hybrids, you can keep duplicates in the beginning because they earn coins. Subsequently when you need more habitat space, you can trade them (iOS) or sell them away (android/kindle - start with selling off the common dragons). Evolve the dragons that are of higher rarity first (use the wikia to know their rarity status) as they will give you more coins.

Visit other islands with high social ratings (eg: 3 eggs) as they are likely to return visits, when they do so, you will get coins when they play with the dragons in your habitats. Leave a note on their walls (perhaps with your storm ID so they can add you).

Breeding blue/red before level 10 will give you an athletic (11 hours), so it is advisable to do so first, because it is a bit hard to get (I'm level 94 and still don't have it). After level 10, breeding blue/red will most likely get you a magic (purple hybrid).

If you're on iOS, light hybrids have higher food costs than the basic ones (purple, red, blue, green, yellow). Pink and Night have even higher food costs. If you're on android, you don't have to worry about it yet, but it will happen in future because android is slower in terms of game features.

Some things to take note of when you're at higher levels:
If you breed light/red, you can get a virtue dragon (33 hours - pink dragon, unlocked at level 20). Purple/blue = Night (unlocked at lvl 23, 23 hours). Red/Yellow = mythic (12 hours, unlocked at lvl 40). Cosmic is purple/yellow (also unlocked at level 40).
The habitats for mythic and cosmic cost 6m coins, so you might want to hold off breeding those colours after you hit level 40, unless you can afford the habitats. If you have notifications to install/play other TL games, do so if you're free. You can 30g for installation and 15g for reaching certain levels in those games. Use the gold to buy yourself a second nest, it will be very helpful!

glitterbabies
04-21-13, 07:57 AM
Breeding blue/red before level 10 will give you an athletic (11 hours), so it is advisable to do so first, because it is a bit hard to get (I'm level 94 and still don't have it). After level 10, breeding blue/red will most likely get you a magic (purple hybrid).

I wish someone had told me this when I first started!! I keep getting magic and it really irks me lol.

kurebiz
04-21-13, 08:01 AM
Oh, Diamond is unlocked at level 10, to get it, breed any 4 different colours. It is ultra rare though, so it might take a while. But at epic levels, the coin rate is quite good. So when you're breeding, try using 4 colours so that you get a shot at diamond. Being a new player, you will still be able to collect many other dragons from using 4 colours. Never use gold to finish up your expansion/food/buy maps. You can plant food with the shorter duration, go visit other communities, then go back to your island and collect the food, and repeat the process. Try to login often (every 1 or 2 hours if you can, especially if you have epic dragons in habitats) to collect coins.

kwhales
04-21-13, 08:04 AM
I wish someone had told me this when I first started!! I keep getting magic and it really irks me lol.

Actually they moved magic down to level 7 so the athletic thing doesn't work anymore. I didn't get my athletic until a very high level (when trying for lh and rh). It will come.

kurebiz
04-21-13, 08:08 AM
Actually they moved magic down to level 7 so the athletic thing doesn't work anymore. I didn't get my athletic until a very high level (when trying for lh and rh). It will come.

Oh? The wikia still shows at level 10 though, I didn't know about it either so I still don't have it. Didn't get it when breeding mask, lh, rh or passion. Not sure if it will ever reach my island!

glitterbabies
04-21-13, 08:13 AM
ohhh breed forest +forest until you get a dawn tree....it's a super rare and a high earner. It took me like 8 tries until i got one but the fail time is so short it didn't really impact my game playing. :)

kwhales
04-21-13, 08:48 AM
Oh? The wikia still shows at level 10 though, I didn't know about it either so I still don't have it. Didn't get it when breeding mask, lh, rh or passion. Not sure if it will ever reach my island!

When I started a new game on my iPad, i tried for athletic at level 7 because i never got one on my main island and got magic. Suprised me. But it could have been a glitch too.

hamadrys
04-21-13, 08:53 AM
As you read through the different threads, you will also get a feel for people on here. Our names are actually our id, so it is easy to add us as neighbors if you ever wanted to do so :)

metalsubzero
04-21-13, 09:12 AM

Darn, I didnt have one, even when trying for the Passion.. But right after I got my Passion, I got 2 in a row breeding Tiny and Deep while trying for Diamond..
T
Level 44, no Diamond yet.. =( I hope I'd not be one of those few that do not have the Diamond at level 94..

Anyway, very good sharing kurebiz.. Wish I'd had taken a look at the forum when I started.. But sigh, I can never get the dragons I want.. I guess cuz half the time I was trying for a Diamond, but mostly fails are dragons which I already have..

glitterbabies
04-21-13, 09:50 AM
reading all these higher levels without a diamond makes me feel a little better about my many many many failed attempts to get one..... weird how the diamond is the most elusive dragon yet it's not even the highest payer.

jdmolish
04-21-13, 09:53 AM

Im alost at lvl 10 so this might be a dilemma. Everything else is great pointers that i intend to follow

missjulieb
04-21-13, 11:00 AM
One thing I recommend for lower level players (some might disagree) is NOT to buy decor, for me it's a waste of money and waste of your space, you will need that money to expand as the costs get higher and higher as you progress onwards, you need to expand to fit more habitats in as you will want to keep all your dragons at first to earn money and then you can just sell the ones who earn you less that you have multiples off to place the ones that earn you more, also you need to earn money to buy food, which again as you progress and get the newer dragons you will find they need more food to level up.

Try for light as soon as you possibly can as these earn you more money (other than the ultra rares) always level all dragons up to at least level 3 and then level 4, I wouldn't level up duplicates any higher than level 4 as you will either sell them or trade them once you have the spell shop and trading portal, these will give you gems to then make gemstone dragons!

When you reach the stage where the trees cost ?800,000 don't worry too much, leave them and continue to expand as you will expand in to trees ect that don't cost as much, then when you have enough money clear them.

Try to place your dragons in the highest earning habitat out of all the colours, example, if you have a red and yellow hybrid, place in the yellow as this holds more coins so you will earn more money, blue and purple, place in purple habitat.

I never worry too much about the goals, I used to and found it ruined my game play so now I just breed breed breed and will find I will complete the goals without trying to hard!

Upgrade your farms also as you will earn more crops and then when your sitting comfortably with money upgrade to the enchanted farm as you will get more food, but they do cost more money so just be aware of how much money you have, how much you will collect and how much you will spend on the higher costing food before planting the expensive ones.

BTW I'm on level 94 (the highest) and have over a million xp and still don't have a diamond dragon and only got honeybee dragon a week ago! So don't over do the diamond trying as you will end up with tons of island dragons which are the bane of my life!

Rainstorms45
07-16-13, 07:59 PM
So I decided to stop playing this game a few months ago....but then today I started kinda missing it... only thing I emptied my forest, sold everything I could and closed shop (the doh! Part) so I need some advise on how I should go about starting again with what little I have. I put up some small farms (6) and got 1 yelow, green, red dragon .. fed the green and red til evolve and now breeding them.... I hope this is a good start and am kicking myself for selling everything....

doop01
07-17-13, 04:58 AM
So I decided to stop playing this game a few months ago....but then today I started kinda missing it... only thing I emptied my forest, sold everything I could and closed shop (the doh! Part) so I need some advise on how I should go about starting again with what little I have. I put up some small farms (6) and got 1 yelow, green, red dragon .. fed the green and red til evolve Iand now breeding them.... I hope this is a good start and aicking myself for selling everything....

At least it's not quite as bad as starting from new since you won't have to expand for a while so can save your coins to feed them. If it were me, I would just breed, breed, breed. Breed for as many new ones as you can. I'm guessing that you have coins and hopefully it won't be too tough for you if you get a dragon that requires an expensive habitat, some are terribly expensive now. You probably got quite a shock at all the new dragons :)
Good luck to you!

CrazyPC69
07-17-13, 06:51 PM
Help a noob out!

Hey eveyone! Obviously I am new here since this is my first post. I downloaded this game simply for points for another game but for some reason I am starting to like it! Anyway, I am at level 8 and I have a question on a few options I have for my next step. What do you recommend?

First some backround info: I have Red rocks with a level 5 & 7 dragon, 2 green groves with 2 level 4 dragons, a green and red hybrid and a yellow and green hybrid still getting it on, and a yellow plateau with a level 5 dragon (again 1 is currently getting it on). Right now I have 15,700 coins to play with and I don't mind save more.

1. Should I upgrade a green grove, buy a big green grove or buy a blue lagoon (which means I would then buy a water dragon)?

2. I figured I should do that before I either upgrade a farm or buy a large farm (again, which one should I do first?).

One more question, should I do #1 or #2 first?

Thank you in advance for the advice! Please add me! Storm id: CrazyPC69

HenryLucky1
07-18-13, 12:05 AM
I think you should buy Water dragon first

Rainstorms45
07-18-13, 12:29 AM
Another question..... I want a water dragon, do I have to buy it or can I breed one? So far I have forest, fire,air and eagle egg cooking. I had a water one last time around but I can't remember if I paid for it or not

Dragonilis
07-18-13, 12:43 AM
Another question..... I want a water dragon, do I have to buy it or can I breed one? So far I have forest, fire,air and eagle egg cooking. I had a water one last time around but I can't remember if I paid for it or not

You can't breed a water dragon, you have to buy it. Same with air, fire, forest, and light dragons. you can however breed a magic dragon using blue and red, and later on breed the other hybrid colors (black,pink,mythic,fairytale,stone,dino,rainbow) using different color combinations.

HenryLucky1
07-18-13, 12:43 AM

You must buy your first Water dragon

HenryLucky1
07-18-13, 12:45 AM
You can't breed a water dragon, you have to buy it. Same with air, fire, forest, and light dragons. you can however breed a magic dragon using blue and red, and later on breed the other hybrid colors (black,pink,mythic,fairytale,stone,dino,rainbow) using different color combinations.

No, we can breed Water. Water x Water, Night x Night, Diamond x Water, Diamond x Night..

Dragonilis
07-18-13, 12:45 AM
You must buy your first Water dragon

haha we posted at the same time :p

Dragonilis
07-18-13, 12:46 AM
No, we can breed Water. Water x Water, Night x Night, Diamond x Water, Diamond x Night..

I think he was asking about getting his first water dragon, in order to breed a water dragon, one must first already posses a water dragon, sorry for confusion :)

ganodustin
07-18-13, 02:58 AM

currently, there are 5 color that must be bought from the market: fire, air, forest, water and light. you need to buy them first.

Rainstorms45
07-18-13, 04:28 AM
Ok. Will have to buy it, thanks... another question.... do eggs go bad? In other story games food spoils, dresses expire, animals get sick... so if I left n egg on the cooker to long will it be a problem? And I have the eagle egg still on there but it won't be ready for awhile now and I have air and forest "playing" but they umm will be done "playing" before the egg hatches, can they stay where they are and be fine until the other egg is done?

scottyhaha
07-18-13, 05:06 AM
Egg stay forever don't get bad

ganodustin
07-18-13, 06:39 PM
Ok. Will have to buy it, thanks... another question.... do eggs go bad? In other story games food spoils, dresses expire, animals get sick... so if I left n egg on the cooker to long will it be a problem? And I have the eagle egg still on there but it won't be ready for awhile now and I have air and forest "playing" but they umm will be done "playing" before the egg hatches, can they stay where they are and be fine until the other egg is done?

everything in DS and MS stays forever even the crops.

Haven_Maven
08-21-13, 09:21 AM
Are you saying you can't get the Trading Portal on Droid? If so, that explains my problem :-) I've been trying to find it on my Droid, and see it on my friend's iPhone. I'll quit wasting my time, if it isn't going to happen. Thanks

lollipop_rp
08-21-13, 09:50 AM
No, instead of the trading portal, they created a gemstone dragon for android.
It is on IOS too.

It's a blue x green hybrid. If you wanted ruby, you could do gemstone x red. You need to have a gemstone in the pair to make more gemstone dragons

lollipop_rp
08-21-13, 09:50 AM
Are you saying you can't get the Trading Portal on Droid? If so, that explains my problem :-) I've been trying to find it on my Droid, and see it on my friend's iPhone. I'll quit wasting my time, if it isn't going to happen. Thanks

No, instead of the trading portal, they created a gemstone dragon for android.
It is on IOS too.

It's a blue x green hybrid. If you wanted ruby, you could do gemstone x red. You need to have a gemstone in the pair to make more gemstone dragons

Here is a helpful thread
http://forum.storm8.com/showthread.php?55972-Feature-Overview-Breeding-Gemstone-Dragons-iOS-Android

Diamond_Isle
08-24-13, 02:58 PM
Hi, I'm new to DS and am a bit overwhelmed and a little confused by all the info here! Can anyone give me a few starting tips? Also, is there somewhere that I can find other players to exchange gold with?? I had 90 gold from d/l other games, I was saving for a second nest, but my toddler got a hold of my tablet and used all my gold on Apple's!!!! My I'd is Diamond_Isle if anyone would like to add me or can give me some beginners advice I'd really appreciate it!

cherryberry9
08-24-13, 03:00 PM
Haha when I started the Dragon Story I got so confused I just deleted it...Lol

awsumum
08-24-13, 03:15 PM
Hi, I'm new to DS and am a bit overwhelmed and a little confused by all the info here! Can anyone give me a few starting tips? Also, is there somewhere that I can find other players to exchange gold with?? I had 90 gold from d/l other games, I was saving for a second nest, but my toddler got a hold of my tablet and used all my gold on Apple's!!!! My I'd is Diamond_Isle if anyone would like to add me or can give me some beginners advice I'd really appreciate it!

Ok, upgrade your farms, get dragons to epic ASAP so they give you max amount of coins, plant copious amount of food, and check this forum as much as you can!

kwhales
08-24-13, 03:50 PM
Post here on this thread for neighbors who are new and may become gold swapping buddies Add Me (http://forums.storm8.com/forumdisplay.php?72-Add-Me)

For the rest, depends on if you are IOS or Android. You can check topics by using advanced search and typing in your subject and go to the various thread for dragon story. Ask questions here. The forum has wonderful people in it and are always willing to help.

snowyglowy
12-27-13, 02:19 PM
How to earn coins in this game? I hv just started to play this game plz help me Ty

awsumum
12-27-13, 02:38 PM
When you breed a dragon and put it into a habitat, then feed it, it will produce coins. The higher the level of the dragon, the more coins it produces, epic is the highest level.

You need to get a farm or two and get them growing food for your dragons.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions, everyone here is extremely helpful, and will assist you however they can :)
Good luck!

ellaslair
03-15-14, 06:57 PM
Hi...I've been gone for a while, looks like much has changed. Can someone explain the battle arena please...what is magic? what is bash? Is there a list of which dragons do best against others? Thanks so much....

Mani_Sari
03-15-14, 08:23 PM
Hi...I've been gone for a while, looks like much has changed. Can someone explain the battle arena please...what is magic? what is bash? Is there a list of which dragons do best against others? Thanks so much....

Check here, everything should be there.

http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?51026-Feature-Overview-Dragon-Battles-iOS

kooky panda
05-29-14, 08:52 AM
Please see the new Newbie Question thread here. (http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?69085-An-(as-short-as-possible)-Introduction-to-Dragon-Story&p=909540&viewfull=1#post909540)