PDA

View Full Version : The gratification of waiting

jovanisto
02-11-13, 01:14 PM
Ok, I know I'm likely to be sounding like a parent or lecturer here- so I apologize in advance and I don't intend to offend - but I really do believe this . . . The challenge tension would get lost if we could cancel the breedings and we'd all have pretty much all that we want relatively immediately. I know it's something that many societies have moved away from, but in our affluent world there is a lot to be gained from learning that there is some reward in delaying gratification. I for one, despite my very frequent frustration (in particular with fruitful!!) do enjoy the having to wait :)

Well it was off topic in its original thread but I thought it was such an interesting discussion. I do not mean it as an offense to anyone, more as a philosophical discussion if you will...

I so agree with the statement of DragonHeart. The interest of the game, IMO, is to patiently build your park and finally get the sought-after dragon after many unsuccessful tries.

I get frustrated myself - believe me, I'm level 94 and have no diamond, and I am missing overall 27 dragons. Yet, I have never accelerated for a dragon (except maybe when I'm remaining with less than 1 or 2 hours and I want to go to bed or have to board a flight !). I had to try a whole 40 days to get my elf !! This is the ONE dragon I accelerated the breeding of (but not hatching), because I got so excited !! The reward is very satisfying.

The other satisfaction I have is to know I have never spent a cent (sorry TL !) for a virtual (yes, it's a video game) pet that one day I will grow tired of, and when I look back, I will have no regret because I will not have spent hundreds of dollars on something that is, after all, not for real, and that I will one day forget about.

Maybe there is something to learn from in this game - and maybe it's to learn to wait for something and enjoy how good it is to get it after after longed for it for so long. TL will disagree with me because of course, they run a business :) But I believe that this is a great opportunity to try for something new. Somebody commented that we are the product of our society. I disagree. You always have your will. You can try it here.

rraccky
02-11-13, 02:23 PM
I agree with this too. I've never spent money on the game and I don't plan to, just because it's too expensive and because it might take the fun out of it for me. I always am checking my game and I'm like obsessed with breeding the dragons and stuff, and yes some of the breeding times I think could be shorter and some of the dragons could be easier to get but then again it's really exciting for me to finally get the stuff I want an I'm proud that I waited lol. I know it sounds pathetic but I love this game :P

NeferTsukia
02-11-13, 04:57 PM
Same here! Well, I have to admit... I never bought gold, but I do use it sometimes to speed up a breeding if my nest is empty - i've used up to 12 gold at once, I believe that was my maximum. Lol. I don't know why but some days i'm irritated and just wanna try again quickly...
Either how, this is indeed a game of patience! :) and it's better this way, at least for me. It takes time, which is good.

rosewaterlily
02-11-13, 05:26 PM
I've level 94 and have 58 different dragons in my album (two new ones, justice in the nest and caesar in my den not counted yet) and I've never bought gold either. You just have to understand that the reason new dragons come out every week is for the people who spend thousands on speeding up to collect all the rares and not be frustrated that you'll never have them all. I don't have the turkey, boo, zombie, or witch limited editions and am missing tons of other dragons, but it gives me something to change up my game when I'm sick of all the charms and magics coming out of the current goals. I've only sped up a breeding with as many as 10 gold once because of an expiring goal, and that resulted in a firework that eventually bred my diamond. Otherwise I've only sped up one or two bars in the den because I want to start a new breeding before bed. Hatching/evolving, I just let run the whole time without speeding (which is making evolving my diamond and hybrids a pain since trading and crafting involves so much evolving that I'm selling my commons that take 20+ hours instead of trading them).

nikisdragoneyrie
03-24-13, 05:12 PM
This is very gratifying to read! I am a new player, and it is nice to know that there are plenty of other people that aren't spend actual money, and are still able to advance and have fun with it!

topherocious
03-24-13, 05:19 PM
I agree with this and it's not just about not spending money, it's getting enough food to feed your dragons, getting it to epic, clearing an island. All of which this game gives us a small satisfaction of accomplishment. If we ***** our way to getting these things, what's the point in even playing? Kudos to everyone still striving to get where they want in the game.

hamadrys
03-24-13, 05:36 PM
Well, everyone seems to be on the same page here. I bought gold 3 or 4 times. Little amounts 3 times and then the $20 package the last time. It was for Cupid. I had tried over 10 times, had many Titan fails and I wanted to move on. So I bought 500+ gold and totally blew it. And...I didn't get it. I had wasted $20 for absolutely nothing. I felt really bad about the total waste of money, but it taught me a good lesson. It's not because one buys gold that the dragon will be successfully bred.
I am Android so, I had to save the gold from other game goals to get my castle and gazebo and kissing dragons, but it is not the same. That is gold patiently and freely collected.
I am not a model of patience. I am breeding Virtue to Sunrise right now in hope of getting Kite or Chocolate or Leopard or Easter or Tiny or Honeybee... First try is a Sunrise in the den -> 24 hours to wait before trying something else. Tough.
But you are all totally right, nothing beats the wonderful feeling of having bred the dragon you wanted so much, after many fails ...
I got Cupid yesterday, trying for Goblin, lol.

danni7788
03-24-13, 06:49 PM
I got Cupid yesterday, trying for Goblin, lol.

Funny how that works out, right?? I get all kinds of rares/super rares that I already gave up on trying for other dragons. But I agree with everyone here- if there is no wait, the game would be too easy. No anticipation, and the breeding would be less exciting!

Poetic_Soul
03-25-13, 11:06 AM
The waiting no longer bothers me. If I get the dragon I want fine if not I will try again later on. But yes I am starting to get bored already with the game because there is nothing to do but wait. So I don't know how much longer I will stay with it.
Now I am a android user so what does bother me is not having the chance to get certain dragons at all unless I right out buy them. Especially dragons like Storm and Scarecrow. It is not like android users don't have goals. Yet iOS users always seem to be favored over all the others. It is one thing to miss out on limited dragons that you might have a chance on getting. But to not even be given the SAME chance is right out cruel.

RotomGuy
03-25-13, 11:27 AM
I have bought gold only twice (the lowest quantity) and I'm not happy with myself.

One time is because I got over-excited, the other because I wouldn't of got the Snowman in time if I didn't, so the second one is kind of less depressing.

karamsay
03-25-13, 02:06 PM
I agree that exercising patience is the more satisfying way to earn my dragons. I haven't purchased gold yet, but I probably will at some point. Not to speed up breeding, since I wouldn't pay money to get something that otherwise I would just have to wait for... But to get the awesome gold habitats! I think I can get one more from the game quests, but doubt I can earn enough for more than that.

And I do want to support TL in this game. I'm injured and have been stuck in bed for months, waiting until my turn for surgery, and this game gives me something to look forward to. Thanks TL for making it such an engaging game!

DragonTan1
03-25-13, 07:44 PM
I agree that exercising patience is the more satisfying way to earn my dragons. I haven't purchased gold yet, but I probably will at some point. Not to speed up breeding, since I wouldn't pay money to get something that otherwise I would just have to wait for... But to get the awesome gold habitats! I think I can get one more from the game quests, but doubt I can earn enough for more than that.

And I do want to support TL in this game. I'm injured and have been stuck in bed for months, waiting until my turn for surgery, and this game gives me something to look forward to. Thanks TL for making it such an engaging game!

I agree, only thing I have bought is the fire gold habitat and some nests but I might buy gold just to get the purple & green gold habitats but never to buy a dragon.

utopiarose
03-25-13, 08:07 PM
Here is something to think about, by Team Lava making it possible to buy gold, they keep the game commercial free(except commercials for their own products). Also if they can't make a living who is going to keep the game going? Yes patience is a virtue. However if you can afford to spend 20 bucks on gold, there is no shame in it. We can afford to spend a little to keep the team in business. I will.