PDA

View Full Version : I know this was mentioned before and is not the most pressing issue, however...

PhelanVelvel
01-13-13, 03:08 AM
I'm just wondering, are there any plans to edit the art in order to reflect real world animals' sexual dimorphism? tl;dr, are the lions always going to be boys? It's just a biological concern for me, if lions were like people and could adopt I wouldn't care, lol. But I'm a zoology pedant and it really gets on my nerves seeing two male lions breed. XP Like, that's not the only example, but I think it's the one earliest in the game, and it's probably the most recognisable for many people.

This is a very cute game and I adore the art style, don't get me wrong, but it did strike me as rather lazy. It just gave me the feeling of like, low-budget "oh my god did they seriously not have the time to draw a lion without a mane so as not to completely violate my suspension of disbelief?" I'm just wondering if there are plans in the future to fix stuff like that. Kangaroo males don't have pouches, etc. But the lion example is just irking me awfully. Anyway, I know not everyone cares about this, just thought I'd say that I do, and it would make me a lot happier if the animals were biologically correct. I cared enough to post here just for that.

PhelanVelvel
01-13-13, 03:12 AM
Also, okay, the counterargument could be "Then why don't they just change the sizes of certain male-female pairs to reflect how sometimes the male is larger than the female and vice-versa?" It's not about the accuracy being 100% true to real life, it's about people recognising instantly that the animals are not real. The lions are not real, because two male lions can't breed. Now, of course you know that, because it's just a game, but it breaks the immersion. It did for me, at least. I was happily checking out people's zoos, and BAM. Uncanny valley.

unosocite
01-13-13, 03:13 AM
Lol now that you mention it, this is weird and funny at the same time

PhelanVelvel
01-13-13, 03:39 AM
Lol now that you mention it, this is weird and funny at the same time

I just saw the peacock parents...it just got weirder.

CharmingRhino
01-14-13, 06:57 PM
When we watch an animated movie or our favorite cartoons, there are a lot of things that just don't make sense when we think about them too much - why Donald Duck freely walks around while not wearing pants, why Mickey Mouse is able to speak so well despite the architecture of his mouth, why you seldom see any pseudo-realistic characters using the restroom. I'm not one to perpetuate this into a big discussion, because frankly, minutiae isn't really my thing. I will say this, though: let's enjoy the game for what it is - a fun mobile game about cute animals in a zoo.