PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy gold?

jrodt333
12-18-12, 06:50 AM
I just wanted to create a poll to see which one gets more votes. Also, you can post why you do or why you don't buy gold in this thread if you want to.

nikky2012
12-18-12, 06:52 AM
I used to buy gold. But after a couple gold traps I don't anymore. Plus, if I ever do quit this game I don't want to feel guilty about the money I put into it.

tr8on
12-18-12, 06:54 AM
I used to buy gold. But after a couple gold traps I don't anymore. Plus, if I ever do quit this game I don't want to feel guilty about the money I put into it.

Ditto!

tbka
12-18-12, 06:59 AM
I bought some during the sales. I do not think I will again because of traps too. But, if there is a sale again... I may not be able to help myself. Who can say no to a sale.

Nefertekas
12-18-12, 07:03 AM
I bought some during the sales. I do not think I will again because of traps too. But, if there is a sale again... I may not be able to help myself. Who can say no to a sale.

If I can't get enough gold until christmas (and I'm hoping there will be another sale) I might buy 1€ or 2€ worth of gold for my nephew's game. He is less than 50 gold away from his second nest and SO terribly excited about it. :)

Nefertekas
12-18-12, 07:04 AM
But I never bought for mine. I have been considering it because I'd like to support the team and whatnot, but...

nylear13
12-18-12, 07:10 AM
I don't buy gold mostly because I don't believe in spending real money on games (its just a game!) and the gold traps in DS are no joke, I once spent 80gold finishing an expansion because of lagging problems =/ would have happened more than once if not for not having enough gold at other times. The one thing I really don't understand is how there isn't any confirmation button for gold spending, isn't that a basic feature for anything involving real money? The only thing that offsets this problem is the relative ease of earning more gold through downloads of other games, but I do believe not everybody get this

henrylucky
12-18-12, 07:20 AM
No, and never, I just a student

suzysuzy35
12-18-12, 08:14 AM
Yes I do I'm afraid, I did buy a lot on the gold sale, but I was worried like everyone else I'd make a mistake and use it on something like an expansion, luckily I didn't. I've used it now for speeding up breeding etc. I may purchase some iTunes vouchers in the future and buy a little here and there.

sollia
12-18-12, 08:45 AM
I have a couple times but I voted no because I've decided not to spend any money on the game until android gets the new updates.

nmishii
12-18-12, 08:59 AM
No. Too many gem traps in all games and lack of Android parity.

sollia
12-18-12, 10:22 AM
Could someone tell me what a trap is in this context? I'm a little confused.

nikky2012
12-18-12, 10:25 AM

For instance if you are expanding and and touch where you're expanding it pops up an option to speed up. If a game is lagging and you touch over there on accident it use your gold to speed up the expansion.

nikky2012
12-18-12, 10:26 AM
There are no conformation buttons when asking if you want to speed up. So if your game is lagging you can purchase things you didn't mean to.

luv2wander
12-18-12, 10:27 AM
I have spent money on other games, so I am not totally opposed to it. However, I will not spend money on this game until android gets the same features as iOS. I see no point in providing money so that now features can be added to a device I don't have while my device is languishes behind. I would be fine if things came out on iOS first and then came out on android a week, maybe two, later, but that is not what is happening. The New Dawn on android is not the same as iOS, we don't have the album and can't get the album quest dragons, and we don't have crafting and spell buildings so we cannot craft the gem dragons. If we want the gem dragons we must buy them since they cannot be bred.

nmishii
12-18-12, 10:33 AM

Its when you unintentionally spend gems on something you really didn't want to. It appears the games are designed so that this happens. There is no confirmation on spending your gems.

sollia
12-18-12, 10:35 AM
Ah okay that makes sense. Sometimes when I'm looking at dragons on the market I accidentally select one and realize I'm so grateful I didn't have the gold to make the purchase so I totallly see what you guys mean there.

tiggerhobbes
12-18-12, 11:17 AM
Pricing is number one reason, for the same price I can get some really kick ass apps on my ipad, and it's an one-off payment. TL games are entertaining and valuable, but just not as valuable as they seem to think. I don't agree with their price so I vote with my absent wallet.

Gold/ Gem traps is a close second reason. I like Castle Story so much I'm quite keen to contribute to support the game development. But again, gem trap is so ridiculous, so insidious, I refuse to throw money away on a strategy game only to have my resource *****ed out of my hands through deliberate poor interface design.

Lastly, it's a social game. Being able to send neighbor a real gift is fairly crucial to the social nature. In other FB games I've sent and received cash items as gesture of good will and special appreciation to neighbors I was close to. Not being able to send real items in TL game takes away that social excuse that would have justified occasional seasonal purchase.

margaritaville99
12-18-12, 11:24 AM
I did and have, but from the looks of things.....I wont be in the near future, unless some changes are made.

finnth12
12-18-12, 01:24 PM
Never. I wish I could. But I never allowed to use real money on game. So I rely on gold trading only.

stoogehunter
12-20-12, 05:50 AM
I think gold needs a price reduction. The prices are ridiculous IMO.
The highest priced dragon (angel) is 3000 gold. Thats well over $100!. Now I understand that TL has to make money somehow, but having something priced over $100 is a joke. No offense TL.
I personally think that if TL reduced the price of gold, and I'm not talking about a huge amount, maybe 20% no more, then they would probably mare more money as more people would buy cheaper gold.

tbka
12-22-12, 07:13 AM

OK, I broke down and bought gold again. But, it was on sale! That makes it OK, right?!?! :p

enoch4
12-22-12, 08:05 AM
I learned the hard way not to buy too much gold at once. Last time they had a sale I bought extra gold. It was supposed to last me several months. Then I somehow bought a snowman dragon - no idea how I did it, and *poof* all the gold was gone. Gold traps are no joke, they kind of ruin an otherwise great game. I'm happy to pay some money here and there to support the games I like, but I refuse to fall for that trick again. In the future I will only buy a small amount, when I need it for something specific.

ubobdgc
12-22-12, 01:18 PM
Yes and no
I only buy gold on my joint account when I get an ultra rare dragon, for example, I got another diamond today, so I'm buying gold today

Sefyre
12-22-12, 03:01 PM
I have bought some in the past, but in fairly small amounts and I still have a small stash sitting in my account waiting for me to become impatient enough to use. LOL I buy Gold to help support the game and I'm still in the beginning-ish of the game, it's always exciting to see a new Dragon being hatched and sometimes I use Gold to see them hatch a little quicker. :)

nky1111
12-26-12, 02:19 PM
even if they reduce the price 90%, thats absurd. they'll soon buy themselves yachts and islands and the games will get abandoned thats how it'll end. if not already ended as we all see theres not a single man-hour of thought has been put in these games.
so ipay how much i think it all is worth and after that its a definite no-no because its just wrong.
it should bd like any normal game say $20 lifetime subscription where u get gems for days or level ups

nky1111
12-26-12, 02:21 PM
the internet is big, for $20 ucan buy now latest titles with. gigabytes of pro artwork, not some half baked kid toy

nky1111
12-26-12, 02:30 PM
oops.actually in dragon story u already can gift the gems for free (but 90% ofthe gifts mysteriously get lost) but this all still applies to other stories

habibass
12-26-12, 03:04 PM
Yes and I think I am going to continue buying gold until the first gold-trap accident.

magzlitex777
12-26-12, 03:44 PM
I have in the past but from now on I will not be buying gold unroll teamlava gets the kindle fire platform caught up on updates. Us kindle fire users are 4 updates behind. I know they need the gold purchases to pay their people and to continue to work on the game HOWEVER I don't feel I should be paying for updates that are not for the platform I play on. Why should I pay for iOS or android content when I'm a kindle fire player an am not allowed the same content

fozea2
12-26-12, 07:24 PM
When I really enjoy a free game, I make it a point to buy add-ons at least once to support the developper. For DS, I bought gold once and got a second nest with it, but I have no plans to buy gold again.

mammami08
12-26-12, 08:28 PM
I have bought gold twice, first time was when i was about to give up on the game and decided to buy gold to give it one last chans to get a diamond. That didn't happen but i got an infinity insted :) so it payed of. Second time was when it was on sale around halloween. I had been on a no-buy-gold strike for all TL games for three months or so.

Now i'm really tempted to buy some since it is on sale again, and almost did this morning, but... I realised in my other TL games that i hardly ever play or just play very occasionally it was 40 % of and in the two games i play regurally it was only 20% of. I definitlly see why, it's a smart way for TL to make the money but it really did make me go...NO way! so i'm not buying gold to day, just wait my boooooooooring 10 h fruitfulls out...

If it's 40 % of in the futur i probarbly will buy, but not when i can get it cheaper in other games (where i don't need it)...

jands05
01-29-13, 08:31 PM
I have in the past but from now on I will not be buying gold unroll teamlava gets the kindle fire platform caught up on updates. Us kindle fire users are 4 updates behind. I know they need the gold purchases to pay their people and to continue to work on the game HOWEVER I don't feel I should be paying for updates that are not for the platform I play on. Why should I pay for iOS or android content when I'm a kindle fire player an am not allowed the same content

I use the kindle fire as well. I've bought gold twice for DS and not recived it at all. The first time it became a hassel trying to get it back, but this time I'm not giving up. I'm emailing everyday until I get my gold. But I will never do it again...

codenamezebra
01-29-13, 10:21 PM
I buy gold often ... especially if its on sale... but I have stopped since november ...holding out for android updates.

jetskie2
03-18-13, 04:50 PM
Have to confess despite not realy wanting to I buy gems to get update habitats and maybe speed things up. keep saying no more - maybe 00000 bank balance wiil cause a halt.

pokemon38
03-18-13, 04:59 PM
Buying gold seems a waste of money. I earn it.

koiju
03-18-13, 05:21 PM
When I really enjoy a free game, I make it a point to buy add-ons at least once to support the developper. For DS, I bought gold once and got a second nest with it, but I have no plans to buy gold again.

Hmm, you've changed my thinking somewhat - I don't buy but I do like your theory of at least one purchase to support the developer. Maybe that second nest will be on my island soon after all - I can't save 250 gold, but this is a nice justification.

LilMzB4Life
03-18-13, 05:27 PM
I have occasssionally bought gold, especially with a sale but I am so over it now!!! Gotta stay on topic so I won't say anymore.

hamadrys
03-18-13, 05:48 PM
I did buy gold several times. The good purchase was my second nest. The rest was a waste and when I blew more than 500 gold on Cupid that I never got, it totally changed me mindset on this. I felt like I had trashed the money and I felt really stupid and bad about it. I won't buy gold anymore. Ever. If I want a decoration, I will save the gold I receive every day and do the other games goals.

doop01
03-18-13, 07:05 PM
I do buy gold sometimes. In fact got some today. Then blew a lot of it getting the moon dragon. I now have it breeding in the den but I don't feel great about what it cost me to get! I think I will lay off the speed breeding for a while. It IS a waste. I'll just wait them out I think and they get here when they get here. It's the lure of the sweepstake prize that mainly does it to people I guess. But in the end you'd end up wasting more gold than you'd win!

koiju
03-19-13, 01:56 AM
Hmm, you've changed my thinking somewhat - I don't buy but I do like your theory of at least one purchase to support the developer. Maybe that second nest will be on my island soon after all - I can't save 250 gold, but this is a nice justification.
Ok so I just bought my first ever gold (on sale) enough for my second nest, I'm very happy about it but it wad a support the developer purchase, I won't be buying any gold to speed or buy dragons, only gifts from neighbours :)

momoko_pinky
03-19-13, 02:06 AM
You should add "no more" in the suggestions :)

nancydrew88
03-19-13, 02:12 AM
I do..more than I should. Spent gold to buy another nest & when I'm impatient to see what dragons I get.

nancydrew88
03-19-13, 02:14 AM
However, it seems like TL updates the game often enough that I think it's wort supporting them with gold purchase.

Loxieland
03-19-13, 02:17 AM

Same here. When Kindle gets up to date I'll buy some gold.

Kvich
03-19-13, 04:30 AM
I've though about buying gold a few times, to get the virtue and diamond dragon, and two more nests, which is close to 4000 gold, over ?70 while they are on sale, or ?105 when they aren't.
But playing on a Android, I kind a feel only playing half the game, and until I see some actual improvements made towards catching up with IOS, I will hold on to my money.
And the longer it takes, the less money I'll spend, as I might get the dragons I'm willing to spend money on.

Kvich
03-19-13, 04:34 AM
I've though about buying gold a few times, to get the virtue and diamond dragon, and two more nests, which is close to 4000 gold, over ?70 while they are on sale, or ?105 when they aren't.
But playing on a Android, I kind a feel only playing half the game, and until I see some actual improvements made towards catching up with IOS, I will hold on to my money.
And the longer it takes, the less money I'll spend, as I might get the dragons I'm willing to spend money on.

The question marks was meant to be the UK currency symbol pounds.

juvides
03-19-13, 04:45 AM
No maybe that's why at lvl 94 still no diamond lol

utopiarose
03-19-13, 05:12 AM
When I am working 2 jobs I only have a little time to play, I buy gold to hurry things along. Although, I have a couple times spent more than I should have. I don't work 2 jobs because I want to.

sollia
03-19-13, 05:30 AM

I agree with you on the half a game thing, I used to play on Android and felt the same way. From what I understand Android players are getting more of the new dragons, right? That's good at least.
But I felt the same way about not wanting to spend the money but I'm so impatient I would buy some here and there anyway so I could speed stuff up anyway.

Back when I voted in this poll I wasn't spending money on gold but I do now. I would change my vote if I could.

Lowezt
03-20-13, 02:15 PM
When you buy gold, you're spending real money in order to 'skip to the front' of a line you put yourself into in the first place.

Because that's all these 'story' games are. By putting you through countless queues, Team Lava is hoping you'll start glancing on that "add gold" button, tempting you from the corner of the screen.

And can you really call these games? The closest thing I've seen to a game is that bubble (bobble?) one, which, big surprise - makes you WAIT as punishment for your sin of losing to many times.

Buy gold with my hard earned money? No thanks.

Cotton_candyLOVER
03-20-13, 03:21 PM
No because of several reasons but anyways, it's just a game. I like to earn it myself, but I wouldn't mind a free 5000 gold reward! Lol

scottyhaha
04-27-13, 04:35 PM
No, I can't spend any real money on a game, my wife would ****s me.