PDA

View Full Version : From a UI designer's point of view, this game needs some very basic improvements.

mistral88
12-02-12, 09:50 PM
I've been playing this game for about 6 months now and have seen this game undergo through major updates, adding more features and more in-game items. I love this game, but let me just say that as a user interface desginer, Team Lava has left major UI design flaws that makes the game often a chore to play. Some very basic UI problems persist throughout the game that make me want to tear my hair off and I don't remember anyone listing these down nor has Team Lava actually acknowledged this. Let me list my frustrations and how TL can improve on it:

1. Moving items from one elevation plane to another has always been a pain
Moving habitats seem to be difficult from one location plane to another, but if it's on the same plane, it doesn't really seem to be a problem. That's the easy one. Now when you are decorating your island and want to move a whole bunch of "Stone path" tiles, you have to move them one at a time. Now imagine doing this on different planes. This is a bit painful and tedious.

Solution: Storage. Allow certain decorations to be stored so that they can be taken out for use later. Unfortunately, habitats that contain dragons cannot be treated the way decors are in this scenario.

2. Persistent and annoying pop-ups
Everytime you launch the game or got disconnected and reconnected, a slew of popup dialog boxes will appear. This is annoying because even if you've been reading that news, it still shows up. People have complained how they made accidental purchases because of this. Team Lava not doing anything with regards to this can be viewed as done in bad faith, resulting to loss of customers.

Solution: Less intrusive dialog boxes, i.e., put them on the side of the screen as an icon with a badge that displays the number of notifications you haven't read yet. Pressing that icon will display a popup box of the notifications you've missed and give the users the option to permanently dismiss them.

Workaround: While we're waiting for TEAM LAVA to get this straight, I suggest tapping on the upper right hand of your screen (where the X button is) for dismissing notifications to avoid accidental market purchases.

3. Inconsistent dialog boxes (and lack of confirmation buttons)
This has been one of the more disturbing mishaps of the game for me. Dialog boxes in Dragon Story are inconsistent, especially the ones that popup at the start. Some would have "CONTINUE" buttons that take you to the MARKET screen (these are the ones that cause accidental purchases), some have "OK" buttons with no "close (x)" buttons on the upper right corner. It is also disconcerting that a confirmation box pops up when you are selling items, while none pops up when buying items. This seems done in bad faith and honestly makes me wonder why this was done at all. From a design perspective this is not sound and would lead to customer complaints. Unfortunately, we cannot do anything about it.

Solution: Use a consistent dialog box button layout. Also add confirmation pop up boxes when buying items.

4. Uncertainty if one can place a habitat or a decor on a certain space
While decorating my island today, I got really frustrated when I cannot move an object to a seemingly empty space. This is disconcerting as the space really seems empty. Apparently, there are really empty spaces that cannot take anything in and while we know that, we don't really know them until we are finding it difficult to move items in the island.

Solution: Display visible grids on the spaces where you can move items and display how many grids an object occupies. understanding the spatial limits of the game, or simply said, it gives you visuals on where you can actually place stuff.

And while I am at it, let me just also recommend this.

5. Expensive premium items are expensive
I've read that an average lunch in New York costs 7 USD. A diamond dragon costs about 65USD. That's around 10 lunches a New Yorker would have to skip in order to save time and just buy a Diamond Dragon without disrupting his budget. And I understand that Team Lava is operating a business here with developers and graphic designers to pay and servers to maintain. I just think that right now, no one wants to buy these premium dragons because they are really expensive. Say if you could get the Diamond Dragon for 10 USD (250 gold), wouldn't you buy it at a heart beat? I would. It's pretty cheap and I would probably buy other premium items too. I do buy gold to support Team Lava, but I think it's better if they put out more premium items (and I mean more, more than the diamond breeds which can be considered as premium items, that's 8 dragons, maybe they can release more diamond hybrids) at a lower gold price.

Thank you for reading. :D

Horntail21
12-02-12, 10:15 PM
We do have storage for decorations if you play on an iOS device. Idk I've never had a problem moving things from one island to another. It could be more user friendly I guess.

The comment about moving things to an empty space I don't understand. The areas you can move things to turn a different color than the non available areas once you press the move button. You may wanna make sure there is not a tiny mushmold or stone hiding in that space. That happens sometimes. You'll think you have completely cleared a space but there is a small obstacle that needs to be cleared hiding in a corner.

CrimsonCalamity
12-02-12, 10:20 PM
We do have storage for decorations if you play on an iOS device. Idk I've never had a problem moving things from one island to another. It could be more user friendly I guess.

The comment about moving things to an empty space I don't understand. The areas you can move things to turn a different color than the non available areas once you press the move button. You may wanna make sure there is not a tiny mushmold or stone hiding in that space. That happens sometimes. You'll think you have completely cleared a space but there is a small obstacle that needs to be cleared hiding in a corner.

They mentioned that they knew you could store decorations. I think what they meant is storing things like habitats.

Also, moving things on the island is very difficult because unless I have an empty space that is within scrolling distance of my hand, my object flings right back into its original spot. So if I wanted to move something from one end of the island to the other, like a habitat, I'd have to hop skip and jump over there. It's a very awkward process.

Yes the island is a different color when you move things around, but that is not always very clear for everyone. I think an easily visible grid would make spacing things a lot easier. Not only would the boundaries be easier to see, but the edges of decorations and habitats might be more visible as well.

I don't know, that's just what I took from what they were saying.

azychan
12-02-12, 11:14 PM

I don't know how ios is, but there's no storage on Android, I don't think I will change to ios just because a game. Moving items between islands is such a challenge for people who have small screen devices since the items sometimes disappear and appear in other places. Islands have corners that you cannot place anything on that, such as near the waterfall of the 1st island.

Martin323
12-03-12, 01:48 AM
Some ideas are quite nice, other problems already solved.
You do have a storage already. The grid would be very nice, some basic, just like when expanding is enough.
The confirm button - is a chapter by itself. Everyone begs for it for months already, TL is apparently ashamed that making money on mistakes is their purpose. And there's nothing to do about it.
A the Diamond dragon - no. People do want it, just because it's so rare and precious. If it was so easy to obtain it, it would be unfair to everyone who has paid (=fools :) ) or spent months breeding it. It's prestigious because it's so hard to obtain. What would be the point if everyone could buy him? That's the ultimate goal of the game, admitting, it's not easy and not everyone has enough luck (or is not willing to spend real money) to get it. Well, whatever.

Nefertekas
12-03-12, 07:19 AM
People... He is clearly on Android. Android users have NO STORAGE and also have NO DISPLAY GRID when moving things around (every part of the floor is of the same color), which is terribly aggravating!! Team Lava should addres those Android issues, because they improve playability for the users in that platform.

That being said, great post!! I agree with everything, especially point #3. :)

Nefertekas
12-03-12, 07:20 AM
Oh, and about the diamond dragon price - it's supposed to be expensive. People who can afford it and are willing to buy it can do so, others (like myself) will probably never bother ;)

MomsHouseofSweets
12-03-12, 07:32 AM
Yes. There's a lot of wasted space that you discover when trying to place items on an island. The base (square) of any item is just large enough, that you can't place it where it would actually fit and it's irritating, for sure. Being Android, it's a painful fact that we don't receive what the IOS players receive. We don't have the luxury of storage, the new dragons (Scarecrow & Storm), no new decor and such. If TL would give us a grid when placing items AND a grid for clearing, where we could clear any section of the grid, it would be great (imho), but this is not the case. Popups are a big irritation, especially when so many of us are having to deal with Force Closings and game restarts. Moving items from one island to another is tricky and can take quite a few tries. Would be nice if it were easier.

Horntail21
12-03-12, 08:31 AM
Ahhh Android problems. He didn't specify.

dragonolic
12-03-12, 08:45 AM
Completely correct. I also work in the app industry and have been saying these things as well. I recently heard that something like 60% of people who play games would prefer to pay a $5 fee up front if they knew they could then have unlimited access to the game, but games like this will never go that way because they make so much money off of people making compulsion buys in app.

And Nefertekas -- You defend the price of a diamond dragon, which is exactly why TL gets away with it. $100 just to buy the diamond dragon to unlock the other diamond hybrids is a cost prohibitive amount to a large majority of our nation. That would buy me two months of gas. And they have set the odds so low that it is actually possible that players will NEVER breed one - as evidenced by the majority on here who have been trying and don't have one.

dragonolic
12-03-12, 08:47 AM
And no, they aren't just Android problems people. If you read through the Bugs and Feedback forum or on here, #1, #2, #3 and #5 are CONSTANTLY being posted about by IOS users also.

dragonolic
12-03-12, 08:48 AM
And that's the American coming out in me - $100 is A LOT of money to people across the world, not just here.

Horntail21
12-03-12, 09:08 AM
And no, they aren't just Android problems people. If you read through the Bugs and Feedback forum or on here, #1, #2, #3 and #5 are CONSTANTLY being posted about by IOS users also.

I don't have a problem personally with 1, 3, 4, 5 and really don't have that much of a problem with 2, but that's just me and my opinion and why I posted it.

If a diamond dragon was cheap it wouldn't be a diamond dragon. It would be easily attainable and it's desirability would plummet.

The pop up thing. It's annoying but it seems like a little patience and you'd be fine. Don't go pressing the screen til the popups have loaded and you have closed them properly. Now if these problems are due to lagging that's something different I guess but I don't really have lag problems. Again my point of view may be different than someone else's.

I learned how to properly move things from one island to the next and have never had a problem again. It's easy. Again if it's device related I can't comment on what its like for an android.

Horntail21
12-03-12, 09:09 AM
#3 Inconsistent dialog boxes: Again take your time, problem solved.

Horntail21
12-03-12, 09:21 AM
I learned how to properly move things from one island to the next and have never had a problem again. It's easy. Again if it's device related I can't comment on what its like for an android.

This could however be made even easier with a click and place system. Say if you highlight an item to move then click on the area you want to move it to. Now I am arguing against myself. I just like to argue this morning lol.

Nefertekas
12-03-12, 11:54 AM
Ahhh Android problems. He didn't specify.

Not all of those problems are android problems. :p and the user probably doesn't know that some of the issues he reported are only on Android, but still. Valid points nonetheless!

Nefertekas
12-03-12, 11:59 AM
And Nefertekas -- You defend the price of a diamond dragon, which is exactly why TL gets away with it. $100 just to buy the diamond dragon to unlock the other diamond hybrids is a cost prohibitive amount to a large majority of our nation. That would buy me two months of gas. And they have set the odds so low that it is actually possible that players will NEVER breed one - as evidenced by the majority on here who have been trying and don't have one.

I don't defend the price... I think it's quite absurd, really!! I'd never in my life spend over 5? in a thing such as a diamond dragon (because it doesn't hold that much nominal value to me). I simply "agree" with the price because I have never felt the need to buy it, and that's that. XD those who can spend money in games like this, probably have too much to spare in their hands (I know of people who struggle to play the electrical and water bill, the phone bill, etc. so in comparison - yes, spare money) then they will consent with that price and do whichever they please with the money. I say, good for them, to be able to spend real cash on such trivialities. :)
The price itself, high as it may be, seems to be "okay" for some people who actually bought the diamond. TL itself needs money to be able to sustain their games, pay for their teams and whatnot, so...absurd as the price ,ay be, as ling as there are people willing to pay for it, then whatever. I won't. ;p

Nefertekas
12-03-12, 12:01 PM
And that's the American coming out in me - $100 is A LOT of money to people across the world, not just here.

True. I wouldn't even spend 5€. But that's me. :) 100 USD is, IMHO, a lot of money. I didn't say I agree with that price, I think it's absurd xD but hey...some people have money to spare...

Nefertekas
12-03-12, 12:05 PM
This could however be made even easier with a click and place system. Say if you highlight an item to move then click on the area you want to move it to. Now I am arguing against myself. I just like to argue this morning lol.

Lolol well, means your mind is in a productive state xD this ewould be a pretty good solution. :) even I struggle with moving stuff around in my iPad, it's so annoying. Sometimes what I am moving simply plops back to where it originally was, but I never lufted my finger from the screen...dafq? Lol x)

About the dialogue boxes, it may be a matter of patience, but it may also be not. Sometimes I tap on a box to close it, but it just stays there, starkng stupidly at me. My reaction? TAP TAP TAP TAP, TAPPITY TAP TAP TAP muthaf----!! Lol.

Nefertekas
12-03-12, 12:06 PM

Lolol well, means your mind is in a productive state xD this ewould be a pretty good solution. :) even I struggle with moving stuff around in my iPad, it's so annoying. Sometimes what I am moving simply plops back to where it originally was, but I never lufted my finger from the screen...dafq? Lol x)

About the dialogue boxes, it may be a matter of patience, but it may also be not. Sometimes I tap on a box to close it, but it just stays there, starkng stupidly at me. My reaction? TAP TAP TAP TAP, TAPPITY TAP TAP TAP muthaf----!! Lol.

Nefertekas
12-03-12, 12:08 PM
So. Many. Typos. @.@

Lolol well, means your mind is in a productive state xD this would be a pretty good solution. :) even I struggle with moving stuff around in my iPad, it's so annoying. Sometimes what I am moving simply plops back to where it originally was, but I never lifted my finger from the screen...dafq? Lol x)

About the dialogue boxes, it may be a matter of patience, but it may also be not. Sometimes I tap on a box to close it, but it just stays there, staring stupidly at me. My reaction? TAP TAP TAP TAP, TAPPITY TAP TAP TAP muthaf----!! Lol.

[S8] Elsa
12-03-12, 12:41 PM
Thank you to everyone who shared their feedback and for the healthy debate about the Diamond Dragon. I'll be sure to pass this along.

So. Many. Typos. @.@

Try typing with pony hooves. On a smart phone. THE WORST. T_T

mistral88
12-04-12, 12:11 AM
Wow, thank you, everyone, for the POV. I forgot to specify that I am on Android and I assumed that the usability issues persist even on iOS (and I assumed wrong, apparently, so good for you iOS peeps).

@Horntail21, thank you for the inputs, but I think you're missing the point here. If we (at least us Android users) all just tolerate the things that bother us, this app will never improve. I love this game amid its imperfections. The creature design is top-notch (compared with other dragon breeding games) and the game mechanics make it fun without taking over your life. That said, as a fan, I wanna see this app improve and be the best of its class.

@PonyRoar good one! Thanks for sharing to TL.

As for the Diamond Dragon's price, not everyone can shell out $100 for this, that's almost the price of a subsidized phone from AT&T. The point here is that, there is business in selling cheap and selling a lot. Sure it would take out the challenge in breeding a Diamond, but if people were able to buy dragons on the cheap, this would result to more people buying gold. Everyone can get frustrated, but not everyone can buy a $100 worth of gold. People who normally don't consider buying anything in-app items would be persuaded, that would mean a wider customer base for team lava. Just my thoughts.

Nefertekas
12-04-12, 03:58 AM
As for the Diamond Dragon's price, not everyone can shell out $100 for this, that's almost the price of a subsidized phone from AT&T. The point here is that, there is business in selling cheap and selling a lot. Sure it would take out the challenge in breeding a Diamond, but if people were able to buy dragons on the cheap, this would result to more people buying gold. Everyone can get frustrated, but not everyone can buy a $100 worth of gold. People who normally don't consider buying anything in-app items would be persuaded, that would mean a wider customer base for team lava. Just my thoughts.
You've got a point!

Try typing with pony hooves. On a smart phone. THE WORST. T_T
LOL! Yeah, I suppose that's quite the challenge. :D I blame myself for being such a klutz and lazy for not double-checking as often as I should BEFORE posting. x'D

Horntail21
12-04-12, 09:21 AM

Guess it all depends on how you view the game. I like the thrill of the chase. Trying to obtain the nearly unobtainable. Having a dragon that not everyone has. All of that is lost for me if everyone can just run out and buy one. IMO it keeps the game fun and challenging and exciting. Also the price is right in line with other games of this nature and their highest sought after items.

Horntail21
12-04-12, 09:23 AM
Also how many would they sell if the dragon held no exclusivity anymore? Isn't that the biggest reason people want one? Flood the market and **** the demand.

dragonolic
12-04-12, 10:35 AM
No one has said "make it free" or "make it $5".... there is a HUGE range of prices in there up to $100. Horntail is also a player who has a diamond, making the claim of "its entirely achievable" sounding a bit biased to anyone who doesn't have one and has been trying forever.

Nefertekas
12-04-12, 11:20 AM
No one has said "make it free" or "make it $5".... there is a HUGE range of prices in there up to $100. Horntail is also a player who has a diamond, making the claim of "its entirely achievable" sounding a bit biased to anyone who doesn't have one and has been trying forever.
I don't have one, but still agree with Horntail. ;)

Horntail21
12-04-12, 11:27 AM
How much would you like it to be? What is a fair price? How do you come about that fair price? Cut it in half? What if that is still too much for people to afford? Maybe everyone should just shoot an offer in to TL and they can choose to accept your bid or not. You're not gonna make everyone happy. How about $20? Well then what about those kids out there with parents that won't buy it for them? What are they gonna do? Somebody somewhere is gonna complain that it cost too much and what's fair to you may be completely unfair to someone else. The price is consistent with the other top dragon games and their most sought after dragon.

If it wasn't achievable, through luck cause I don't buy gold, I wouldn't have one.

dragonolic
12-04-12, 12:13 PM
/shrug Not trying to change your mind, just giving my feedback to TL, like the OP.

If it wasn't achievable, through luck cause I don't buy gold, I wouldn't have one.
Never said it wasn't. I did say that it's possible for players to never get one, but that is odds related and not related to this discussion.

Horntail21
12-04-12, 12:41 PM
Never said it wasn't. I did say that it's possible for players to never get one, but that is odds related and not related to this discussion.

That could probably be said of all dragons from Super Rare and up I'm level 80 with no ForestFire in sight and 18 or 19 other dragons. You know how many times I've had a fire and forest element in the breeding chamber at the same time? lol

Anyway my main point is take the thrill out of the chase and the chase ain't worth chasing. I'm not interested in getting a dragon as much when nearly every single person has one. I was like that before I got mine and still am. That's just my opinion though. I play another dragon game and while at the beginning i liked getting the rare dragons more often, I lost interest cause it is just too easy. I'd much rather be on the edge of my seat to see if I can catch that one elusive dragon than get it in under 25 tries nearly everytime one comes along.

Im pretty sure TL sees it this way too. Sure if they dropped the price drastically they might make more money in the short run, but when the majority of people have one they will lose money in the long run due to lack of interest.

CuddlyDragon
12-04-12, 01:36 PM
Closing this thread due to the massive Flame War that has be***.