PDA

View Full Version : Which timezone are you in?

Tossa747
11-10-12, 04:47 PM
Hi!
I live in Sweden (UTC +1) and it feels like most of my neighbors are active around midnight. It would be interesting to see wich timezone is most common.

kwhales
11-10-12, 06:12 PM
Don't exactly know what UTC is, but I am on EST.

totaltechno
11-10-12, 06:15 PM
What is UTC in GMT?

sweetstuff525
11-10-12, 06:15 PM
I googled it ( lol) I guess I'm dumb
It says eastern is utc -5

I'm in new york

shakiba
11-10-12, 06:16 PM

I'm in new york

Lol thx, that means I'm UTC -5 too. EST!

kwhales
11-10-12, 06:18 PM
It must be GMT. Because GMT is -5 for NY or PA (where I'm from).

mammami08
11-10-12, 06:26 PM
Sweden for me to so i guess UTC-1 or as we say it GMT-1 ;)

kwhales
11-10-12, 06:31 PM

Wow, didn't know Sweden was big enough to have 3 diff time zones. Your UTC -1, and Tossa74 is from Sweden and she/he is UTC +1. So there must be just UTC in the middle of Sweden.

I kind of think we have UTC and/or GMT incorrect. something is off.

LilMzB4Life
11-10-12, 06:35 PM
I'm in Northeast Tn which is est time zone or UTC-5 according to chart I googled.

mammami08
11-10-12, 06:37 PM
Sorry my mistake ofcourse i'm GMT+1, have to blame it on the time here now (2:36 am) so a little tired....

kwhales
11-10-12, 06:42 PM
Wow, now I know I'm not alone.....living here on the east coast and on a Saturday night, what are we doing, posting on the forum. what fun we are.

moostermine
11-10-12, 06:45 PM
Don't know! Western Canada, mountain standard time, I think 3 hours later than east coast. What would that be?

kwhales
11-10-12, 06:54 PM
Utc -8 i would think.

kwhales
11-10-12, 06:55 PM
But isn't mst 2 hrs from est.

totaltechno
11-10-12, 07:08 PM
just googled and utc is another term for gmt

gmt-5

totaltechno
11-10-12, 07:08 PM
though idk what midwest US is, i think gmt-5 though

moonchips
11-10-12, 07:18 PM
GMT +8, south east asia, Singapore! a lot of my neighbours are from the US though.

Tossa747
11-10-12, 07:35 PM
Okay folks, I had no idea you didn't know what UTC is. UTC stands for Coordinated Universal Time and yes, it's the same thing as GMT. However, GMT isn't used nowadays as UTC is more correct. I guess it's different in other countries, but when i was in middle school (7-8 years ago) we learned to use UTC and not GMT.

I guess you're older than me, because everyone I know uses UTC ;) I'm also from Sweden. And it's +1, but you already corrected that.

From wikipedia:

Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) is the primary time standard by which the world regulates clocks and time. It is one of several closely related successors to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). For most common purposes, UTC is synonymous with GMT, but GMT is no longer precisely defined by the scientific community.

kwhales
11-10-12, 08:05 PM
Wow learn something new everyday. Thanks Tossa.

kwhales
11-10-12, 08:16 PM
Tossa---thanks for starting this poll. it is kind of interesting to know where people are from--at least those who come visit the forum--which is about 200 of the millions playing.

azychan
11-10-12, 10:00 PM
I'm Vietnamese, ah uhm... UTC+7 I think so.

chwistian
11-10-12, 10:33 PM
UTC -9 I think (PST time)

mammami08
11-11-12, 06:29 AM
Okay folks, I had no idea you didn't know what UTC is. UTC stands for Coordinated Universal Time and yes, it's the same thing as GMT. However, GMT isn't used nowadays as UTC is more correct. I guess it's different in other countries, but when i was in middle school (7-8 years ago) we learned to use UTC and not GMT.

I guess you're older than me, because everyone I know uses UTC ;) I'm also from Sweden. And it's +1, but you already corrected that.

From wikipedia:

Yes, older then you, turned 40 last thursday ;) have never heard of UTC but googled it so now i learned something new. I have been to greenwich though and stood on the timeline or the prime meridian ;)

I can honestly say i have never heard of UTC, i think the most commonly used, here, are GMT or CET, but i'm glad i learned something new ;)

salinho
11-11-12, 06:33 AM
If UTC is equivalent to GMT, then mine is "utc to utc + 2". Weird, though. I have always learnt it to be GMT, but in Portugal where I live We don't even refer to time zones...lol. No need. XD

Tossa747
11-11-12, 07:28 AM
If UTC is equivalent to GMT, then mine is "utc to utc + 2". Weird, though. I have always learnt it to be GMT, but in Portugal where I live We don't even refer to time zones...lol. No need. XD
If you read my earlier post you'll see some information about UTC/GMT. They are almost the same.

Portugal use and refer to timezones too. Only because you and the people you hang with doesen't use it, it's not true for the whole country.

kwhales
11-11-12, 07:36 AM
[QUOTE=mammami08;451556]Yes, older then you, turned 40 last thursday ;)

Well HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO YOU.

salinho
11-11-12, 07:44 AM
If you read my earlier post you'll see some information about UTC/GMT. They are almost the same.

Portugal use and refer to timezones too. Only because you and the people you hang with doesen't use it, it's not true for the whole country.
Excuse me? Did I say something offensive, or are you just usually rude? Suponho que sejas portugu?s ou portuguesa ent?o, por isso podemos falar nos mesmos termos.
Normalmente por c? n?o faz falta que fa?amos refer?ncia ?s diferentes zonas ou nomes de zonas. Por norma, dizemos "no pa?s tal, neste momento s?o mais "x" horas do que aqui". N?o usamos o nome das diferentes zonas temporais, at? porque ? do cara?as lembrarmo-nos de todas xD
E h? express?es que s?o diferentes consoante o pa?s. A tradu??o de "daylight saving time" ? "hor?rio de Ver?o" , por exemplo. Duvido muito que haja por a? muita gente a saber a maioria dos fusos hor?rios de cor e salteado, seja como for. Pelo menos eu n?o os sei de cor e n?o tenho problemas nenhuns com isso, visto que tamb?m n?o sou nenhuma palerma. Sou advogada estagi?ria, por isso n?o sou nenhuma deseducada que n?o se informa nem l? livros. Pura e simplesmente, n?o conhe?o os nomes de todos os fusos hor?rios (como h? diferentes nos estados unidos). Isso n?o me impede de saber que existem ou de perceber como esse sistema funciona.

Long story short: we know what time fuses are, even though their exact names may not be known to us, seeing as though we don't really need to know all the time fuses. I know that GMT plus whichever is the current time zone in, say, Macau. Or I will know, once I look it up online or ask someone who knows it, anyway. XD
But we don't need to use different time zones in my country, because it only has ONE time zone. Simple as that. No need to be rude, or presumptuous.

salinho
11-11-12, 07:45 AM
Wow, the forum does not recognize accents. XD for got about that.

magzlitex777
11-11-12, 09:05 AM
Central time in the us

spiralraindrop
11-11-12, 09:12 AM
What would my time zone be if I'm in southern Ontario?

salinho
11-11-12, 09:33 AM

From wikipedia:

You learned UTC, but not everyone else did. Guess we are all a bunch of uneducated people comparing to you, then. And now I realize you're not portuguese, so it's safe to say you don't know a thing about my culture or mannerisms. That being said, we still mostly refer to GMT (Meridiano de Greenwich, in Portuguese), and if the term UTC is used, it is by the scientific community or something like that. Commoners like myself go for GMT when talking about time zones. I do think Brazilians refer to UTC, or at least when writing they do.

As far as I have noticed, people refer to thei own timesones when talking. So a californian will refer to their timezone, as a portuguese citizen will refer to GMT. I still believe that in school we are taught in GMT, but hey, I'm 23 now. School was a while ago. Well, college was only a year and a half ago, but still. I'm pretty sure it's still GMT around here. Unless I am wrong, or have been talking to the wrong people or watching the wrong news channel...we only have four anyway, and I watch all of them. So I don't know where I went wrong here.

So I read that GMT and UTC are similar, the former being a successor of the latter, but are not an exact equivalent. They don't stand for the same thing and are not based upon the same reference.
I was, however, already familiar with the concept of leap seconds and atomic clocks. But we still use GMT for current conversation.

And UTC does not change with the seasons, but here we still change our time according to daylight saving time, "hor?rio de ver?o" (literally meaning "summer schedule"). Meaning, GMT or GMT+1. Right now we are in GMT, from the 27th of October until it changes again to GMT+1.

So, again: we use GMT in Portugal. And UTC for scientifical purposes, like apparently everywhere else in the world. If, in your country, your people refer to UTC, the that's your way of doing things. Don't assume stuff about people you don't know.

moostermine
11-11-12, 09:42 AM
Spiral raindrop, they told me I was -8, and I think Ontario is 2 hours before me so -6 maybe.(please nobody yell at me if I'm wrong lol)

Lolas_Kryptonite
11-11-12, 10:29 AM
Spiral raindrop, they told me I was -8, and I think Ontario is 2 hours before me so -6 maybe.(please nobody yell at me if I'm wrong lol)

lol....

queentina3
11-11-12, 10:44 AM
What would my time zone be if I'm in southern Ontario?

LOL!!!

I think spiral may be -5, but I won't yell at you. I think most of Ontario is on the same time zone as Eastern US, but there are some individual places in the US that don't change at all, so.........................It's best to look up your town/city and see what it says. This is the link that I use, so others can check it out for themselves and see if they find it as useful. :)

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

cedkugedchgd
11-11-12, 11:59 AM
i live in germany, lol.

Limaxa
11-11-12, 12:46 PM
i live in germany, lol.

Yes.. Which of them is our timezone..^^?

mammami08
11-11-12, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=mammami08;451556]Yes, older then you, turned 40 last thursday ;)

Well HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO YOU.

Thanks, me and the Aurora now share a birthday ;)

MazShaddix
11-11-12, 05:52 PM
I live in the UK so I'm whatever time zone, that UTC stuff confused me o.O

MomsHouseofSweets
11-11-12, 08:18 PM
I have no idea what UTC means ... never heard of it before. Anyway, I'm in west Tennessee and we're in the Central Time Zone.

dinosaureggs
11-12-12, 04:42 AM
PST (UTC-8)

And yes, it's late here now. :P

salinho
11-12-12, 04:45 AM
Thanks, me and the Aurora now share a birthday ;)

Well, happy belated birthday as well! Coolness x)

tbka
11-12-12, 05:30 AM
I live in Phoenix, Arizona. We are one of the only places in the United States of America that does NOT fallow daylight savings time. So we are usually UTC -6 but are UTC -7 during DST. It is nice not having to change the clock twice a year like I had to when I grew up in New Mexico.

tr8on
11-12-12, 06:55 AM
Central Standard Time (CST) = GMT-6 = UTC-6
Central Daylight Time (CDT) = GMT-5

Here in Louisiana. :)

PDAGuppies
11-12-12, 08:48 AM

I'm in new york
I m in ny too. I googled it but it said something else. I just gonna put what u put XD

BabyDinosaurRawr
11-12-12, 03:16 PM
Im in texas, central time, so its -6.

ash717
11-12-12, 07:01 PM
Lol I googled it too. EST!

salinho
11-13-12, 03:27 AM
Nobody's dumb here, you guys. :)

We (countries) each have our system to keep track of our time. UTC is kinda like the universal system, but used mostly by scientists. If in certain countries people learn to use the UTC system, congratulations to them. Nobody here is forced to know it. Oh well, guess it adds to general knowledge, and that's always a good thing.
Just like there's the gregorian calendar, julian calendar, chinese calendar, mayan calendar...

tbka
11-13-12, 05:42 AM
Nobody's dumb here, you guys. :)

...general knowledge, and that's always a good thing.
Just like there's the gregorian calendar, julian calendar, chinese calendar, mayan calendar...

Yes, but that Mayan Calendar is about to run out!

salinho
11-13-12, 05:52 AM
Yes, but that Mayan Calendar is about to run out!
The end of the world is coming... Party hard! :)

kwhales
11-13-12, 08:00 AM
The end of the world is coming... Party hard! :)

It already did. Mayan's didn't take into account leap years. So, we aren't really here!!!!

salinho
11-13-12, 05:49 PM
It already did. Mayan's didn't take into account leap years. So, we aren't really here!!!!

My oh my, what a mess then so much fuss for nothing. :) still.... PARTY HARD! Lol.

salinho
11-14-12, 03:35 PM
Funny how I got no reply. Oh well.

11-15-12, 12:19 AM
Oh my children let us not squabble. I can say that as I have children older than 40 and several grandchildren older than 25. It has been a very long time since I was in middle school (Jr. High in my day). I am 66 and never heard of UTC, thank you I learned something new. I believe I would be UTC -6 (CST -USA, Texas).

salinho
11-15-12, 02:39 AM
Oh my children let us not squabble. I can say that as I have children older than 40 and several grandchildren older than 25. It has been a very long time since I was in middle school (Jr. High in my day). I am 66 and never heard of UTC, thank you I learned something new. I believe I would be UTC -6 (CST -USA, Texas).

Nobody's squabbling, especially since I got no reply. :p I just really hate it when people are presumptuous and annoying know-it-alls; learning something new is fun, but Tossa can drop the High and Mighty tone, because there's a lot of stuff other people know that Tossa does not know of. End of story.

And that's so cool! We have a matriarch/patriarch here :) my grandma won't even come close to my iPad, she's totally weird about technology. And so's my mom lol. Come to think of it, mom's almost sixty now! Anyway, I remember her and her first computer - she kept banging on the keyboard because she was used to the typewritter! Lololol.

Funny how many people from different time zones we got here. :)

kwhales
11-15-12, 07:44 AM
Yeah, you don't know who you are really talking to, what age they are, where they are from, even what sex they are. Talk about the blind leading the blind.

salinho
11-16-12, 07:06 PM
Yeah, you don't know who you are really talking to, what age they are, where they are from, even what sex they are. Talk about the blind leading the blind.
One thing in common: pixel dragons. Lol :D

kwhales
11-16-12, 07:46 PM
Yay, but my pixel dragons are an ocean away from yours. I know dragons can fly, but that's really far.. Can dragons swim?

faisal01911349250
02-08-13, 12:19 AM
I'm gmt +6 not sure about utc

mikemike28
02-08-13, 12:27 AM
im in melbourne, australia so gmt+11..

ivanazagreb
02-08-13, 12:33 AM
Lol I had too google this! :D I'm UTC/GTM +1 Croatia, Zagreb

pegasus14
02-08-13, 09:09 AM
Illinois, USA currently -6 UTC until DST starts in a couple months.

pegasus14
02-08-13, 09:12 AM
I'm gmt +6 not sure about utc

In case you're wondering UTC=GMT (GMT is UTC +0)

DragonHeart0
02-08-13, 03:04 PM
This is so wonderful, it paints a picture of my dragon buddies all over the world, connected by this little computer game which we all love (and sometimes makes us crazy :) ). Makes me feel all ✨✨✨

So does the forum use UTC? (by the way, thanks for the education as I was only aware of GMT too) I have always wondered where the servers were that the 'post' times were always so different from my time - UTC-5. But the time that the new DS day begins does not seem to be midnight UTC time because it changes somewhere around 3am my time??

MajicHearts
02-08-13, 07:33 PM
Utc - 6 usa illinois

tailsprower
02-08-13, 11:10 PM
Philippines here :) - UTC +8 ! This is convenient for getting LE's I have an extra day to get one before last day !

emirates123
02-09-13, 09:03 AM
Utc +5

dondonuk
02-09-13, 02:23 PM
Gmt/ utc its gobblede**** to me england here haha

hentie2
02-09-13, 02:35 PM
What is UTC ? Sorry I don't understand I'm from the UK I only know GMT
Which is 8am when it's TL's midnight
Would vote but don't know which one :(

rubyjeen
02-09-13, 03:02 PM
I read earlier what utc and gmt mean but I don't know how to figure out where mine would fit. I'm in California, USA . Pacific standard time. My game day changes at my midnight, so tl must be in this time zone also.

dondonuk
02-09-13, 03:20 PM
What is UTC ? Sorry I don't understand I'm from the UK I only know GMT
Which is 8am when it's TL's midnight
Would vote but don't know which one :(

Utc same as gmt. I'm uk too

kwhales
02-09-13, 03:28 PM
I'm still EST. Which is GMT/UTC -5. Pennsylvania, USA here.

lilylunalove
02-09-13, 03:32 PM
I'm on UTC+2 :)

lilylunalove
02-09-13, 03:36 PM
I read earlier what utc and gmt mean but I don't know how to figure out where mine would fit. I'm in California, USA . Pacific standard time. My game day changes at my midnight, so tl must be in this time zone also.
PST would be UTC-8 ;)

stoogehunter
02-09-13, 04:37 PM
I'm in Western Australia and its currently 7.36am Sunday. I have no idea on UTC lol

lolii12
02-09-13, 04:48 PM
No one of them..
Because I'm EST

lilylunalove
02-10-13, 02:34 PM
I'm in Western Australia and its currently 7.36am Sunday. I have no idea on UTC lol
If you're on Western Standard Time then that's UTC +8hrs.

No one of them..
Because I'm EST
EST is UTC -5hrs.

queenbeeglenda
03-16-15, 09:12 PM
I am pacific standard time California

freesiawoods
03-17-15, 04:41 AM
Utc +8, and looks like I have lots of company.

echo005
03-17-15, 05:20 AM
i'm GMT i guess-england

if anybody can help me out i can then vote

zyfazix
03-17-15, 05:34 AM
GMT is practically the same as UTC

tuffyjkitten
03-17-15, 09:09 AM
Wow, I didn't know any of this GMT and UTC stuff and I am a scientist...I have enough trouble with the many U.S. time zones.

Based on what it says on my forum settings page I'm GMT -7 which is Arizona time, currently the same as PDT but for the rest of the year MST. At this time of year I am the same as TL time but for the rest of the year I am 1 hour ahead of them.

Mythdefied
03-17-15, 10:18 AM
I just went over to World Time Server for the conversion. I'm -5 here in Missouri.

pattons_friends
03-19-15, 12:46 PM
Never heard of UTC, here in the U.K we just use GMT which is our timezone, interesting thread.

spiritanimals000
03-20-15, 07:44 PM
I'm currently in Hawaii, my mom has been thinking about getting a job in Idaho.

LonePudding
03-21-15, 03:58 AM
I'm in the UK which is GMT/UTC and were 8 hours ahead of TL (I think, in California they use UTC-8). I love it because where TL are, they get their updates in the morning before school and work and we get it around 6pm AFTER school and work, which is very ideal for me.

LonePudding
03-21-15, 04:02 AM
Never heard of UTC, here in the U.K we just use GMT which is our timezone, interesting thread.

UTC is GMT, or at least, that's what Google made it sound like:D lol good old google

AMuffins
03-25-15, 11:00 AM
I was taught in school to use GMT.. here in the USA.. never heard of UTC till I got computer and that is the thing they use here in cyberspace.

Did anyone notice the date when this thread was started?????

Nov 2012

Lunaticus
03-25-15, 09:15 PM
I'm in GMT/UTC +8.. or 12hrs ahead of EST.

Enilon1
03-25-15, 11:40 PM
Utc -6 to-4 in Va.

hon3ycomb
03-26-15, 04:50 AM
I had to google as well.. figured GMT+3 is also within the coordinates of UTC+3. I live in Bahrain btw (Middle East).

amerirish
03-26-15, 01:05 PM
East Coast - USA so -5 UTC representin' :cool: