PDA

View Full Version : Want to maximize your profit? Here comes the science!

PatsDiner
12-03-10, 06:57 AM
Hi guys,

I've recently compiled all available recipies in RS into a spreadsheet and calculated how much money each recipe makes per minute of its cooking time. Think of it this way: French Toast might only give you thirty gold, but it also only takes 1 minute to make, so it generates 30 gold per minute. Roast Chicken gives you 12,000 gold, but takes 2,880 minutes to make (2 days), so that generates only 4.2 gold per minute. Thus, if you keep cooking both recipies as fast as you can, you're gonna end up a lot richer if you do French Toasts than Roast Chicken. Got it?

I've made a GoogleSpreadsheet with all dishes and how much money they generate per minute of cooking time. If you want to make lots of money, cook things that have higher values for "Gold / cooking minute".

Here's the spreadsheet:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoWk7P9Lutl4dFFQd1ZSQXVWRklFX0xvalNLcHY0Q mc&hl=en

Other insights:
- Spaghetti is the worst dish for making money.
- among the two-day dishes, Roast Chicken is way better than Apple Pies and Stew.
- Shrimp Kebabs and Steaks are great dishes if you don't want to manage your restaurant every minute.
- rule of thumb: cook the quicker dishes to make money faster.

By the way, you can also sort the spreadsheet by the experience points that a dish generates per second! Let me know what you think, and if you feel this is useful, add me: "PatsDiner"!

Unregistered
12-03-10, 07:12 AM
wow thaaaaaaanks!!!! this is super useful! had no idea you could calculate it like that!! off to make some shirmps now ;)

Unregistered
12-03-10, 07:42 AM
Yep, what you're saying is right in theory, but a couple of other people have beaten you to it. To be even more scientific you also need to take into account the cost of the dishes, which has been done in this spreadsheet (which I can't take any credit for). Zilma started it and someone else added the profit column.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/lv?key=tk0tZUQnaU25LLmkHPl489g&type=view&gid=0&f=true&sortcolid=14&sortasc=false&rowsperpage=250

PatsDiner
12-03-10, 08:05 AM
Ah, true! Had no idea that was out there =) Btw, my spreadsheet does include the price of the dish...

Well, mine does add XP / minute, at least - for those interested in experience. Thanks for pointing out the other spreadsheet!

deadpix
12-03-10, 12:35 PM
Hi guys,

I've recently compiled all available recipies in RS into a spreadsheet and calculated how much money each recipe makes per minute of its cooking time. Think of it this way: French Toast might only give you thirty gold, but it also only takes 1 minute to make, so it generates 30 gold per minute. Roast Chicken gives you 12,000 gold, but takes 2,880 minutes to make (2 days), so that generates only 4.2 gold per minute. Thus, if you keep cooking both recipies as fast as you can, you're gonna end up a lot richer if you do French Toasts than Roast Chicken. Got it?

I've made a GoogleSpreadsheet with all dishes and how much money they generate per minute of cooking time. If you want to make lots of money, cook things that have higher values for "Gold / cooking minute".

Here's the spreadsheet:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoWk7P9Lutl4dFFQd1ZSQXVWRklFX0xvalNLcHY0Q mc&hl=en

Other insights:
- among the two-day dishes, Roast Chicken is way better than Apple Pies and Stew.
- Shrimp Kebabs and Steaks are great dishes if you don't want to manage your restaurant every minute.
- rule of thumb: cook the quicker dishes to make money faster.

By the way, you can also sort the spreadsheet by the experience points that a dish generates per second! Let me know what you think, and if you feel this is useful, add me: "PatsDiner"!

It all reads very nicely but there's a flaw in most, if not all, these spreadsheets, including the one I made very early on in the game.

In concluding that dishes like French Toast make more money, we seem to be drawing our conclusions by assuming that we get paid after each dish gets cooked; WE DON't.

We only get the coins after each plate of food cooked is consumed. This means that although 30 plates of french toast cooks in 1 minute, you don't get the coins until they are all consumed, which would take another minute. Still, if we were all limited to just one stove, our calculations would be right, however, we are not, so here's why our calculations don't work...

Limitations:
1. Coins are only earned after each plate of food is consumed
2. The current maximum rate of consumption is 30 plates per minute or 1800 per hour

The effect that these 2 limitations have is that even if we had 10 stoves and set them to cooking french toast, we'd get 300 plates per minute but we'd still be earning only 30 coins per minute because of the consumption rate. We DON't earn the 300 coins immediately, only 10 minutes later.

However, if we had 4 grills and concentrated on something like shrimp kabobs, we'd be making 60 coins a minute after the first hour and would catch up with and then overtake the earnings from french toast after the 2nd hour.

It gets more interesting if you had a fifth appliance because you'd then be able to introduce a more expensive dish once every 12 hours, 1 day or two days, depending on the dish, to go with the shrimp kabobs.

Lets say you decide to do grilled salmon on the fifth appliance. It cooks in 12 hours and makes 1,000 plates. The game will split the number of plates of dishes served evenly between the shrimp and the salmon, so that's 900 plates per hour for each. The amount of coins you'd make then would be (900 x 2) + (900 x 4) = 5,400 and this occurs once every 12 hours, increasing your average earnings.

"Why then don't we just buy more appliances and concentrate on the most expensive items?" You can't. Even without the leveling requirements for each additional appliance, the game limits you to only 11 appliances and you'd need to have about 27 ovens to sell roast chicken continuously for just 12 hours a day because of the long cooking times required.

If this is all becoming too confusing, then all we have to know is that cheap, fast cooking food will not earn you a lot of money because of the two limitations mentioned above. You'd be doing much better if you selected a modrately fast-cooking, 2 coin staple to serve and added slow-cooked, expensive items whenever you can. The more appliances you have the more types of expensive items you'll be able to add to your staple, increasing the average earnings even more and also increasing the time between each batch of cooking.

Oh, all calculations are based on gross earnings, not nett.

Unregistered
12-03-10, 03:49 PM
I don't quite follow the limitations. I cook a variety of foods, but tend to favour the most profitable. I usually end up with about 20,000 dishes at the end of the day and by morning they've all sold. So, in my view calculating the profit per hour of cooking time is useful because everything I cook is sold within 24 hours. I suppose the main limitation is the amount of time you have to play the game. If you were going to cook French toast solidly for hours on end, you might have more food than could be consumed, but I don't think anyone would play the game that much.

Anyhow, it's an interesting debate.

mcguireslc
12-03-10, 03:59 PM
...to cook more dishes than can be consumed in a day when you get to higher levels. It's also at higher levels that it becomes advantageous to maximize profits as everything you can still purchase is very expensive, to the point that it will take days or weeks to save enough to expand or remodel an entire restaurant.

PatsDiner
12-03-10, 04:27 PM
It all reads very nicely but there's a flaw in most, if not all, these spreadsheets, including the one I made very early on in the game.

Excellent point, deadpix, and thanks for the reply! So if I understand you correctly, you're saying that calculating the profits doesn't work because maximum profit per hour is capped by maximum consumption per hour, right? Could we factor this into the calculation? The only thing we need is the number of appliances - if the number of appliances times the number of portions you can cook of a specific dish in one hour is greater than 1,800, then profit should be capped by the price per plate times 1,800. Hmmm... not sure how to put this into a spreadsheet. I'll give it a try.

By the way: are you sure that guests eat all available dishes equally? I always had the feeling that they prefer the quick dishes...

PatsDiner
12-03-10, 05:01 PM
Hey, I think I figured it out, even though the solution is a little inelegant.

Check out the spreadsheet again. Scroll to the left and look up the column that contains the number of appliances that you can cook the dish on, and check which dish generates the most money per hour if you continuously cook it on that number of appliances. The fomula takes deadpix's point into account that your guests are gonna eat a maximum of 1800 plates of any dish per hour, regardless of whether you make more, and regardless of what dish you make. So it doesn't matter if you can make 5,000 plates of French Toast, cause it's not going to get eaten.

Bottom line: find the column on the right for the # of appliances, then sort that column to find out what dish you should make. Bagels FTW! =)

Here's the link again:

Unregistered
12-03-10, 07:40 PM
Are you sure that you can only serve 30 dishes per minute. If you limit your tables to 23 and place them all as close to the entrance as possible with the chef also at the entrance then you can serve 36 dishes per minute.

Unregistered
12-03-10, 07:56 PM
Are you sure that you can only serve 30 dishes per minute. If you limit your tables to 23 and place them all as close to the entrance as possible with the chef also at the entrance then you can serve 36 dishes per minute.

I just retimed my restaurant which is serving only burritos at the moment and it was only serving 30 per minute. I could have sworn that I measured 36 when I did it before for a different food. Are all foods consumed at the same rate?

deadpix
12-03-10, 08:25 PM
By the way: are you sure that guests eat all available dishes equally? I always had the feeling that they prefer the quick dishes...

Yep, I did a 12-hour run of 13 different dishes once and found that the number of plates consumed for each dish type was the same over the 12 hour period. This held true even after the updates.

deadpix
12-03-10, 08:30 PM

It is :-) I had a 12 hour test to help calculate this, but you can quickly verify this by watching the door; count the number of smiling faces going out the door over 1 minute, or better yet, over 5 minutes then average it out.

Unregistered
12-03-10, 08:33 PM
Hey, I think I figured it out, even though the solution is a little inelegant.

Check out the spreadsheet again. Scroll to the left and look up the column that contains the number of appliances that you can cook the dish on, and check which dish generates the most money per hour if you continuously cook it on that number of appliances. The fomula takes deadpix's point into account that your guests are gonna eat a maximum of 1800 plates of any dish per hour, regardless of whether you make more, and regardless of what dish you make. So it doesn't matter if you can make 5,000 plates of French Toast, cause it's not going to get eaten.

Bottom line: find the column on the right for the # of appliances, then sort that column to find out what dish you should make. Bagels FTW! =)

Here's the link again:

Yes! That's very good. Now all we'll need to do is look at where the earnings max out for the appliance and then add a couple of high priced items when we can and we'll push the earnings up. :-)

deadpix
12-04-10, 01:24 AM
Yes! That's very good. Now all we'll need to do is look at where the earnings max out for the appliance and then add a couple of high priced items when we can and we'll push the earnings up. :-)

What I mean is that if we had enough appliances, we could max out our earnings by having 3 or 4 appliances churning out bagels and the rest grilled salmon or some other higher earner.

The modified spreadsheet is a good start, now we just have to factor in the cooking times and create day 1 to day n simulations of various combinations to get the one with the highest possible earnings.

Ummm I hope I haven't offended anyone who's playing this game just for the fun of it. It's just that I've got overly active grey matter and they tend to find joy in such calculations. :-)

Unregistered
12-06-10, 01:51 AM
So to clarify, the quickest way to make money is to have five ovens all churning out bagel's nonstop?

Really awesome job here btw, I admire your enthusiasm :)

- isMichael

Wonkavision7
12-08-10, 11:01 AM
If you all have not noticed, you actually save 2 hours on the 1 day items. I hope Norman does not read this and change it, but they have the 1 days listed for 22 hours.

deadpix
12-09-10, 07:40 AM
If you all have not noticed, you actually save 2 hours on the 1 day items. I hope Norman does not read this and change it, but they have the 1 days listed for 22 hours.

Yeah, I noticed it but decided it was better to keep quiet about it, but since you brought it up...

Unregistered
12-11-10, 10:53 AM
Can someone put this into a pdf please? Thanks so much!!!

Unregistered
12-11-10, 02:47 PM
So, you have no life either?

Unregistered
12-17-10, 07:53 AM
Does anyone know off the top of their head what would be some suggestions for gaining more XP? I would like to level up from Level 25 to get the next appliance.

Unregistered
12-17-10, 03:38 PM
Can someone put this into a pdf please? Thanks so much!!!

There u r !!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B5c9_cUCzR-hNzYxZjU0M2UtMzA2Yy00YzgzLTllODMtOWE0NDRhNWEyZGJl&hl=en&authkey=CPjO7LEJ

sd32
12-17-10, 03:56 PM
I attempted these lists xp/hr and money/hr on farm story, but I haven't updated it yet.
ngmoco lists are giving me a harder time as they do have frequent updates!

http://sehanafortress.com/iapps

Unregistered
12-20-10, 10:59 PM
You went to so much work-amazing and much appreciated by all I am sure! Can I assume that these stat basics hold true for Bakery Story also? I believe XP is earned immediately when each food item is prepared. Sooo, the way to level up is to bake high XP items...right? I don't think leveling is linked to consumption, is it? The coin rolls in as the plates are consumed. Correct on all points? Thanks again and all the best to you in the new year!

deadpix
12-21-10, 01:19 AM
I believe XP is earned immediately when each food item is prepared. Sooo, the way to level up is to bake high XP items...right? I don't think leveling is linked to consumption, is it? The coin rolls in as the plates are consumed. Correct on all points? Thanks again and all the best to you in the new year!

Don't count on it. I'm not in Bakery Story but if they're using the same engine as Restaurant Story then you only get ALL your XP when the food is put on the serving counters, so don't let your food spoil and don't cancel cooking items unnecessarily.

That being said, baking high XP items may not be the way to go as in the time it takes you to complete baking the item, you could possibly bake a lower XP item enough times to not only get the same XP but also exceed it by quite a significant value.

You are right however in saying that leveling isn't linked to the consumption of food.

fatty420
01-16-11, 09:14 PM

In concluding that dishes like French Toast make more money, we seem to be drawing our conclusions by assuming that we get paid after each dish gets cooked; WE DON't.

We only get the coins after each plate of food cooked is consumed. This means that although 30 plates of french toast cooks in 1 minute, you don't get the coins until they are all consumed, which would take another minute. Still, if we were all limited to just one stove, our calculations would be right, however, we are not, so here's why our calculations don't work...

Limitations:
2. The current maximum rate of consumption is 30 plates per minute or 1800 per hour

The effect that these 2 limitations have is that even if we had 10 stoves and set them to cooking french toast, we'd get 300 plates per minute but we'd still be earning only 30 coins per minute because of the consumption rate. We DON't earn the 300 coins immediately, only 10 minutes later.

However, if we had 4 grills and concentrated on something like shrimp kabobs, we'd be making 60 coins a minute after the first hour and would catch up with and then overtake the earnings from french toast after the 2nd hour.

It gets more interesting if you had a fifth appliance because you'd then be able to introduce a more expensive dish once every 12 hours, 1 day or two days, depending on the dish, to go with the shrimp kabobs.

Lets say you decide to do grilled salmon on the fifth appliance. It cooks in 12 hours and makes 1,000 plates. The game will split the number of plates of dishes served evenly between the shrimp and the salmon, so that's 900 plates per hour for each. The amount of coins you'd make then would be (900 x 2) + (900 x 4) = 5,400 and this occurs once every 12 hours, increasing your average earnings.

"Why then don't we just buy more appliances and concentrate on the most expensive items?" You can't. Even without the leveling requirements for each additional appliance, the game limits you to only 11 appliances and you'd need to have about 27 ovens to sell roast chicken continuously for just 12 hours a day because of the long cooking times required.

If this is all becoming too confusing, then all we have to know is that cheap, fast cooking food will not earn you a lot of money because of the two limitations mentioned above. You'd be doing much better if you selected a modrately fast-cooking, 2 coin staple to serve and added slow-cooked, expensive items whenever you can. The more appliances you have the more types of expensive items you'll be able to add to your staple, increasing the average earnings even more and also increasing the time between each batch of cooking.

If u block your door and exit the game completely you sell food instantly and also keep customers at 100

Unregistered
01-17-11, 06:19 AM
Hi guys,

Other insights:

But I like spaghetti :-(

Grey
01-23-11, 01:30 AM
Does anyone know off the top of their head what would be some suggestions for gaining more XP? I would like to level up from Level 25 to get the next appliance.

Spam french toast on 5 stoves while something profitable cooks on other machines.

Can make 1400+ xp per hour with fast response time.

Prepare for continuous screen tapping. lol

-Storm8 I.D. GreyPaw

Grey
01-23-11, 01:32 AM
If u block your door and exit the game completely you sell food instantly and also keep customers at 100

Entering and exiting design mode does that too. At least on android.

Unregistered
01-23-11, 01:53 PM
It's very generous that you dedicate your time into sharing this information with us. Thank you^^

We need more people like you!

Unregistered
01-26-11, 02:44 PM
The is a flaw in everyones calculations. You are all basing the servings/hour on cook time (how long the game says it takes to cook an item - ie: 1 minute for French Toast). Based on that you would expect 1800/hr (30/min x 60 min) per appliance. And to get that, you would have to make French toast non-stop every minute with the new batch starting the instant the last bach finished. The problem and flaw is that you can't. It takes time to bring up the recipe book, time to select the French toast, time to prepare the ingredients before it cooks, time to prepare to serve after it cooks, and then time to serve the dish, This is in addition to the 60 seconds it takes to cook. If it were to take just 1 second to do each of those steps (I have not timed it so It may take more or less time), it would add another 5 seconds per batch. You would now only be able to make 55.4 batches per hour (1662 servings). The longer it take, combined, for all of those steps the less batches you can make per hour. Also, the more appliances you have cooking it, it can take just a little more time (because it can get a little tedious and confusing on a small device to tap the small items, and the device does not always respond to quick double taps). The longer the cook time, the less of an impact this time has on it. It would have little impact on something that takes an hour to cook.

- Craig C.

deadpix
01-28-11, 02:45 AM
The is a flaw in everyones calculations. You are all basing the servings/hour on cook time (how long the game says it takes to cook an item - ie: 1 minute for French Toast). Based on that you would expect 1800/hr (30/min x 60 min) per appliance. And to get that, you would have to make French toast non-stop every minute with the new batch starting the instant the last bach finished. The problem and flaw is that you can't. It takes time to bring up the recipe book, time to select the French toast, time to prepare the ingredients before it cooks, time to prepare to serve after it cooks, and then time to serve the dish, This is in addition to the 60 seconds it takes to cook. If it were to take just 1 second to do each of those steps (I have not timed it so It may take more or less time), it would add another 5 seconds per batch. You would now only be able to make 55.4 batches per hour (1662 servings). The longer it take, combined, for all of those steps the less batches you can make per hour. Also, the more appliances you have cooking it, it can take just a little more time (because it can get a little tedious and confusing on a small device to tap the small items, and the device does not always respond to quick double taps). The longer the cook time, the less of an impact this time has on it. It would have little impact on something that takes an hour to cook.

- Craig C.

Hee! :-)

I'm well aware of what you are pointing out. The reasons I did not factor that into the computations were as follows:

Everyone has a different rate of tapping and as this is just a game, I really don't think it's of any value to ask for a thousand volunteers to calculate their rate of tapping to derive at a mean rate
If we factor in chaos where individual tapping rates will also vary from tap to tap due to various reasons such as muscle ache/fatigue, miss-taps etc., it quickly becomes obvious that it is quite pointless to attempt a hyper-accurate computation
No one in their right mind would attempt to produce 1,440 batches of French Toast continuously - My apologies to anyone who has actually done it; I meant no slight. I was just trying to say that a non-extraordinary person would not even contemplate doing it

My point is that I created the spreadsheets as a way to check out the potential earnings of each dish, not to know how much I could actually earn. On top of that, it was sort of put together over a half-hour, towards the end of an extremely boring meeting at work.

Cheers

Unregistered
01-28-11, 09:58 AM
Hee! :-)

I'm well aware of what you are pointing out. The reasons I did not factor that into the computations were as follows:

Everyone has a different rate of tapping and as this is just a game, I really don't think it's of any value to ask for a thousand volunteers to calculate their rate of tapping to derive at a mean rate
If we factor in chaos where individual tapping rates will also vary from tap to tap due to various reasons such as muscle ache/fatigue, miss-taps etc., it quickly becomes obvious that it is quite pointless to attempt a hyper-accurate computation
No one in their right mind would attempt to produce 1,440 batches of French Toast continuously - My apologies to anyone who has actually done it; I meant no slight. I was just trying to say that a non-extraordinary person would not even contemplate doing it

My point is that I created the spreadsheets as a way to check out the potential earnings of each dish, not to know how much I could actually earn. On top of that, it was sort of put together over a half-hour, towards the end of an extremely boring meeting at work.

Cheers
I agree with your reasoning. Everyone should realize those spreadsheets just show ideal-world potential earnings.

I've personally spent 10 minutes of my day today constantly producing French Toast on 8 appliances and it is definitely more maddening than it seems.

As far as the meeting goes, must have been a productive one towards the end! Thanks for making the spreadsheets at all.

fatty420
01-31-11, 08:52 PM
Entering and exiting design mode does that too. At least on android.
Actually I have found out it is just luck on food selling by itself. I have blocked the door and it will act like customers are still coming in it just depends on what you block it with. and sells everything still slower mike customers are coming in I haven't figured out which item does what. also the other which is like you said all the items sell right away I have an android phone sometimes it works . The WORST IS WHAT HAPPENED TO ME the other day for days worth of cooking with door shut nothing selling game froze lost everything and money and experience didn't even get the quick sale money everything was gone and the funny thing is I went down 3 levels because everything disappeared that I made it acted like I never made it still waiting for them to give me something I've been lucky before when something failed and make ratted me gems will see

deadpix
02-01-11, 11:53 AM
Actually I have found out it is just luck on food selling by itself. I have blocked the door and it will act like customers are still coming in it just depends on what you block it with. and sells everything still slower mike customers are coming in I haven't figured out which item does what. also the other which is like you said all the items sell right away I have an android phone sometimes it works . <snip>

This issue seems to only affect players on Android.

Unregistered
02-02-11, 01:27 AM
Why no plum pudding in the spreadsheet?

Unregistered
02-02-11, 10:15 PM
Great spreadsheet!! It helped a lot. However, do keep in mind those are calculations for inventory only. Although you are making 30 toasts per minute or 1,800 per hour (minus about 30 - 45 seconds between each batch like what Craig was saying), and profiting up to 1,200 coins/hour, you are not really going to bump up your coins that much. It takes time for actual consumption. The only instant earning is the xp points so for levelling up purposes, it's great to make toasts back to back for a couple of hours.

Bottom line, quantity is really not that big a factor, unless you NEED to catch up on food to keep customers happy!! Look at the profit per serving instead of what your inventory would yield. For example, let's say in one hour you make 1800 toasts (profiting 1200 coins) or you can make 480 servings of t-bone steak (profiting 600 coins). You will actually earn more coins per hour by making steaks because with each serving, you profit 1.38 vs 0.67 for toasts. You will see that pot of gold coins increasing quicker by serving steaks.

I've done the toast marathon to level up a few times and I still have 150k toasts and everything else I've cooked since then have been replenished dozens of times. Toasts still inching away at 0.67/per serving :(

deadpix
02-03-11, 03:43 AM
Great spreadsheet!! It helped a lot. However, do keep in mind those are calculations for inventory only. Although you are making 30 toasts per minute or 1,800 per hour (minus about 30 - 45 seconds between each batch like what Craig was saying), and profiting up to 1,200 coins/hour, you are not really going to bump up your coins that much. It takes time for actual consumption. The only instant earning is the xp points so for levelling up purposes, it's great to make toasts back to back for a couple of hours.

Bottom line, quantity is really not that big a factor, unless you NEED to catch up on food to keep customers happy!! Look at the profit per serving instead of what your inventory would yield. For example, let's say in one hour you make 1800 toasts (profiting 1200 coins) or you can make 480 servings of t-bone steak (profiting 600 coins). You will actually earn more coins per hour by making steaks because with each serving, you profit 1.38 vs 0.67 for toasts. You will see that pot of gold coins increasing quicker by serving steaks.

I've done the toast marathon to level up a few times and I still have 150k toasts and everything else I've cooked since then have been replenished dozens of times. Toasts still inching away at 0.67/per serving :(

You should also bear in mind that your restaurant (at 100 happiness) can only serve 1800 plates per hour. This means that if you serve only French Toasts, you're only going to make 43,200 coins per day (gross earnings).

If you look through the spreadsheet named "RS - Dishes Extended" you'll see extra columns on the right showing the maximum (gross) earnings possible for each dish, based on the number of appliances you have (I've not completed all calculations yet).

What this spreadsheet hopes to show is that as the number of appliances you own increases, concentrating on the more expensive dishes would greatly increase your daily earnings.

I'm actually working on another spreadsheet that shows the best combination of dishes for the maximum earnings.

Unregistered
02-03-11, 12:20 PM
Having a stockpile of food does free you to cook longer cooking time recipes and is a nice buffer for when you're not playing for a while.

I like cooking t-bone steaks. I find it's a good compromise for XP, coin earning, and not clicking on appliances every 5 minutes.

Unregistered
02-03-11, 11:18 PM
This is all terribly interesting and I love it when this thread has a new post. I find it completely fascinating how you guys are able to pick apart this game and come up with so much logic and statistics without breaking too much of a mental sweat. I use these spreadsheets religiously because I thought I was good at math until I saw theses theories! Please keep the ideas swirling because I know many people, including myself, are very very interested. Thank you for sharing as well because you guys could have easily kept this to yourself. :)

BTW, I can't wait for the spreadsheets ideas you were talking about deadpix, if you decide to create and/or realease them.

stuart83
02-08-11, 09:55 PM
You should also bear in mind that your restaurant (at 100 happiness) can only serve 1800 plates per hour. This means that if you serve only French Toasts, you're only going to make 43,200 coins per day (gross earnings).

If you look through the spreadsheet named "RS - Dishes Extended" you'll see extra columns on the right showing the maximum (gross) earnings possible for each dish, based on the number of appliances you have (I've not completed all calculations yet).

What this spreadsheet hopes to show is that as the number of appliances you own increases, concentrating on the more expensive dishes would greatly increase your daily earnings.

I'm actually working on another spreadsheet that shows the best combination of dishes for the maximum earnings.

FASTEST possible current way to earn money, besides buying gems, is to continuously make 4 Bagels and 7 Roast Chicken (this is with 11 appliances) with less appliances you can swap to 5 bagels and the rest roast chicken.

Until you hit around 7 appliances then swap to 4 Bagels and rest roast chicken, I'm not exactly sure when to transition between 4 to 5 bagels, but the money lost when you swap at which ever point is pretty minimal.

Oh and Add me stuart83 on RS =)

Unregistered
02-08-11, 10:26 PM
Here are some calculations I did a month or so ago:

Thanks for the data!
I finished my spreadsheet and this is what I calculated:

Assumptions: 11 cooking slots, 20x750 stew per day in gifts
(This gives a target is 153 meals per oven per hour)

The highest profit is a combination of Glazed Ham and Bagels, which gives a total of 5612 coins/hour (averaging in stew gifts). BUT, in order to keep the customers fed you would need 21.4 batches of bagels per batch of Glazed Ham. That isn't very attractive.

The best Roast Turkey combo is also with bagels, which gives 5293 coins/hour (averaging in stew). To get this you only need to make 2 batches of bagels per Roast Turkey, which is quite reasonable. Plus, they both use the same equipment. This is my favorite combo.

Here is a summary of combinations (ratio of batches in parenthesis) and payouts:

Glazed Ham/Bagels (1:21.4) - 5612 coins/hr
Glazed Ham/Portobello (1:2.2) - 5317 coins/hr
Glazed Ham/Shrimp Kebab (1:3.3) - 5233 coins/hr
Glazed Ham/Quesadilla (1:5.1) - 5109 coin/hr
Glazed Ham/French Toast (1:59) - 4985 coin/hr

Roast Turkey/Bagel (1:1.9) - 5293 coin/hr
Roast Turkey/Portobello (1:0.2) - 5203 coin/hr
Roast Turkey/Shrimp Kebab (1:0.3) - 5181 coin/hr
Roast Turkey/Quesadilla (1:0.5) - 5203 coin/hr
Roast Turkey/French Toast (1:5.4) - 5115 coin/hr

The other high sales price items (Roast Chicken, Apple Pie, Creme Brulee and Beef Stew) don't come close to the payout because of their lower throughput.

Unregistered
02-10-11, 03:40 AM
Please can someone please update spreadsheet, there r some recipes like roast turkey etc that aren't in there. Thanks

Unregistered
02-10-11, 04:24 AM
Actually I have found out it is just luck on food selling by itself. I have blocked the door and it will act like customers are still coming in it just depends on what you block it with. and sells everything still slower mike customers are coming in I haven't figured out which item does what. also the other which is like you said all the items sell right away I have an android phone sometimes it works . The WORST IS WHAT HAPPENED TO ME the other day for days worth of cooking with door shut nothing selling game froze lost everything and money and experience didn't even get the quick sale money everything was gone and the funny thing is I went down 3 levels because everything disappeared that I made it acted like I never made it still waiting for them to give me something I've been lucky before when something failed and make ratted me gems will see

Yo!
Blocking the door with the host stand will not stop customers coming in when your game is idle or logged out.
Coat rack, plant or counter is good for this.... I too have had instances of 'forced closed' and lose the last few items i have cooked or gifts put out but either naively not lost points...

But def blocking the door with anything OTHER than the host stand has proven effective for me

Unregistered
02-10-11, 04:26 AM
Please can someone please update spreadsheet, there r some recipes like roast turkey etc that aren't in there. Thanks

I'm on level 25 - some recepies are unlocked at 44, so give me time and i'll have a complete update for you - and Bakery Story if you have a one too.

Unregistered
02-10-11, 04:32 AM
Here are some calculations I did a month or so ago:

Thanks for the data!
I finished my spreadsheet and this is what I calculated:

Assumptions: 11 cooking slots, 20x750 stew per day in gifts
(This gives a target is 153 meals per oven per hour)

The highest profit is a combination of Glazed Ham and Bagels, which gives a total of 5612 coins/hour (averaging in stew gifts). BUT, in order to keep the customers fed you would need 21.4 batches of bagels per batch of Glazed Ham. That isn't very attractive.

The best Roast Turkey combo is also with bagels, which gives 5293 coins/hour (averaging in stew). To get this you only need to make 2 batches of bagels per Roast Turkey, which is quite reasonable. Plus, they both use the same equipment. This is my favorite combo.

Here is a summary of combinations (ratio of batches in parenthesis) and payouts:

Glazed Ham/Bagels (1:21.4) - 5612 coins/hr
Glazed Ham/Portobello (1:2.2) - 5317 coins/hr
Glazed Ham/Shrimp Kebab (1:3.3) - 5233 coins/hr
Glazed Ham/Quesadilla (1:5.1) - 5109 coin/hr
Glazed Ham/French Toast (1:59) - 4985 coin/hr

Roast Turkey/Bagel (1:1.9) - 5293 coin/hr
Roast Turkey/Portobello (1:0.2) - 5203 coin/hr
Roast Turkey/Shrimp Kebab (1:0.3) - 5181 coin/hr
Roast Turkey/Quesadilla (1:0.5) - 5203 coin/hr
Roast Turkey/French Toast (1:5.4) - 5115 coin/hr

The other high sales price items (Roast Chicken, Apple Pie, Creme Brulee and Beef Stew) don't come close to the payout because of their lower throughput.

you're a legend.... sadly due to the issue of work.. i cant play all day :(

Unregistered
02-11-11, 12:50 AM
I'm on level 25 - some recepies are unlocked at 44, so give me time and i'll have a complete update for you - and Bakery Story if you have a one too.

Sounds good, thx a lot.

Unregistered
02-11-11, 05:46 PM

Okay when you say that, does it mean i need to cook 1 glazed ham and at the sametime i need to cook 21 more bagels on other appliances? I saw somebody mentioned the max appliances you can have is 11, so how is this possible to do? Can you elaborate on that a bit thanks.

For this one does that i mean only need 3 appliances so I only need to cook a roast turkey and 2 bagels on the other 2 appliances to acchieve that rate? I think I didn't interpret it right so please explain this a little further buddy, appreciate it!

Stuart83
02-15-11, 03:32 AM
[QUOTE=Unregistered;43984]Okay when you say that, does it mean i need to cook 1 glazed ham and at the sametime i need to cook 21 more bagels on other appliances? I saw somebody mentioned the max appliances you can have is 11, so how is this possible to do? Can you elaborate on that a bit thanks.

After reading through few of the other suggestions, I've come to realise that if you want to make the most profit with 11 appliances and still lead a reasonable lifestyle... As in not spending all your time on your iPhone or ipad, the option of cooking 2-3 or even more sets of bagels then cooking a set of roast turkey is the most realistic way of playing the game.

During the first set of roast turkey(8 hour cooking time) you will run out of food, but after the first set of roast turkey, if you make 2-3 sets of bagels ( if you are not entirely punctual for the bagels and turkey make 3 or more sets) then the turkey and bagels should last you till your next set of turkey is ready, so you would spend approximately an hour or so on the game each day, maybe less, depending on how fast you click.

And you will only have to pay more attention to the gave every 8 hour when your turkey is done and you need to make your bagels (15 min cooking time)
Use the above advise at your own risk!!!

And add me! Stuart83 on RS

Stuart83
02-15-11, 03:36 AM
Man... My above post has tons of typos. That's what you get for trying to post on a forum with your IPhone.

Try to ignore the typos!

Unregistered
02-15-11, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the information in this post.

One question I have is how do the numbers of tables/chairs you have in your restaurant affect the maximum number of plates consumed per hour?

To put it another way, in order to reach the cap on plates consumed per hour, how many tables/chairs do I need to have? Or do they even matter at all?

Thanks

deadpix
02-15-11, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the information in this post.

One question I have is how do the numbers of tables/chairs you have in your restaurant affect the maximum number of plates consumed per hour?

To put it another way, in order to reach the cap on plates consumed per hour, how many tables/chairs do I need to have? Or do they even matter at all?

Thanks

The number of tables and chairs in your restaurant determine the number of happy customers your restaurant is able to serve in a given minute. The definition of a happy customer is one who is:

Able to be assigned a seat (determined by unblocked paths from the door to the table and chair)
Able to be served a dish

Assuming that you can maintain a customer satisfaction rating of 100, you'll see 30 plates of food served in a minute, 1,800 in an hour and 43,200 in a day.

You'll need a minimum of 24 UNBLOCKED tables and chairs but should target to have 25 to 28 so as to avoid the occasional unhappy customer. By "unblocked" I mean that there must be a direct path from the door to the chair that is properly facing a table.

Unregistered
02-15-11, 08:34 PM
I have 4,000 right now. How long will this take? Weeks....

Anyways.

I'm so confused. When I'm not home, at school i usually leave some dish with lots of it in it like spaghetti...

deadpix
02-16-11, 07:56 AM
I have 4,000 right now. How long will this take? Weeks....

Anyways.

I'm so confused. When I'm not home, at school i usually leave some dish with lots of it in it like spaghetti...

Don't serve spaghetti if you want to make coins quickly; serve bagels, lots of it, especially if you're at an early level and only have a few appliances. Just keep making as many as you can. However, you'll also need to have more tables and chairs so that there will be more customers. Buy more but be sure that they are placed so that the customers can walk freely to the chair from the door.

deadpix
02-16-11, 08:00 AM
With the raising of the cap on the number of appliances, I guess it's time to go back to the spreadsheets to recalculate the best dishes to serve. Now there should be some clear winners based on the number of appliances we have.

Unregistered
02-16-11, 05:53 PM
The number of tables and chairs in your restaurant determine the number of happy customers your restaurant is able to serve in a given minute. The definition of a happy customer is one who is:

Able to be assigned a seat (determined by unblocked paths from the door to the table and chair)
Able to be served a dish

Assuming that you can maintain a customer satisfaction rating of 100, you'll see 30 plates of food served in a minute, 1,800 in an hour and 43,200 in a day.

You'll need a minimum of 24 UNBLOCKED tables and chairs but should target to have 25 to 28 so as to avoid the occasional unhappy customer. By "unblocked" I mean that there must be a direct path from the door to the chair that is properly facing a table.

So to be clear, anything over 24 unblocked chairs w/table, would be a waste of space and money, correct?

aflyb0y
02-18-11, 08:10 AM
[QUOTE=Unregistered;43984]Okay when you say that, does it mean i need to cook 1 glazed ham and at the sametime i need to cook 21 more bagels on other appliances? I saw somebody mentioned the max appliances you can have is 11, so how is this possible to do? Can you elaborate on that a bit thanks.

After reading through few of the other suggestions, I've come to realise that if you want to make the most profit with 11 appliances and still lead a reasonable lifestyle... As in not spending all your time on your iPhone or ipad, the option of cooking 2-3 or even more sets of bagels then cooking a set of roast turkey is the most realistic way of playing the game.

During the first set of roast turkey(8 hour cooking time) you will run out of food, but after the first set of roast turkey, if you make 2-3 sets of bagels ( if you are not entirely punctual for the bagels and turkey make 3 or more sets) then the turkey and bagels should last you till your next set of turkey is ready, so you would spend approximately an hour or so on the game each day, maybe less, depending on how fast you click.

And you will only have to pay more attention to the gave every 8 hour when your turkey is done and you need to make your bagels (15 min cooking time)
Use the above advise at your own risk!!!

And add me! Stuart83 on RS

I feel you bro that auto correct thing could be a pain in the ass sometimes, you didnt really have that many typo's anyway haha. Thanks to your explanation I think I get it now, when I'm making a Roast Turkey ( 8 hr cooking time ) I should make as many bagels (15 minutes) as possible on the other 10 appliances to max out my profit right? I'm on the iPhone a lot so I would say I'm pretty punctual and since I'm doing that, should i go for the glazed ham and bagels combination to max out my profit? Because if i understand your post right i should be able to cook 1 glazed ham (whatever the hours of cooking time it takes) while still capable of making 22 more bagels during this time interval. So please check back to my post , ill hit you up on RS & thanks pal!

Unregistered
02-18-11, 12:03 PM
Does adding additional hosting tables help get people in/out any faster?

Unregistered
02-18-11, 12:54 PM
Does adding additional hosting tables help get people in/out any faster?

Not currently. Extras are just for looks.

Unregistered
02-19-11, 04:13 AM
French Toast earn the most coin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every player should cook that bread to earn big bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unregistered
02-19-11, 10:57 AM
I was jut wondering, are there any "special and complex" mathematics and formulas whenever it comes to Exp. and leveling up?

PatsDiner
02-19-11, 03:59 PM
Wow, I had no idea this thread was still going so strong!

I'd love to add the new dishes, but I'm not playing anymore. deadpix, if you drop me an email to theinerp@tcd.ie I'll give you edit permissions on the spreadsheet so you can add the food and raise the appliances cap. Maybe you can just merge your new stuff and mine? That way the original link is always up to date...

Anyway, thanks everyone for making this the most-viewed thread in the RS forum, you've made my day =)

Have fun playing! Keep those bagels comin'!

Stuart83
02-20-11, 01:16 AM
[QUOTE=Stuart83;45035]

I feel you bro that auto correct thing could be a pain in the ass sometimes, you didnt really have that many typo's anyway haha. Thanks to your explanation I think I get it now, when I'm making a Roast Turkey ( 8 hr cooking time ) I should make as many bagels (15 minutes) as possible on the other 10 appliances to max out my profit right? I'm on the iPhone a lot so I would say I'm pretty punctual and since I'm doing that, should i go for the glazed ham and bagels combination to max out my profit? Because if i understand your post right i should be able to cook 1 glazed ham (whatever the hours of cooking time it takes) while still capable of making 22 more bagels during this time interval. So please check back to my post , ill hit you up on RS & thanks pal!

I think you misread my post or misunderstood it.

In my post I suggested cooking 1 set of roast turkey ( 1 set being all 11 appliances cooking the same dish at the same time) then following it up with 2-5 sets of bagels depending on how punctual you were.

The more punctual you are, the less bagels you have to cook.

But that's was at the time when the max number of appliances was 11, this cap since been lifted and I am unsure of what the cap is currently.

I'll try to come up with something useful soon.

And add me on RS at "stuart83"

deadpix
02-20-11, 06:31 AM
French Toast earn the most coin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every player should cook that bread to earn big bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope. No matter how many plates of French Toasts you cook, you'll only be able to sell 43,200 plates a day because that is the daily limit of the number of plates you are allowed to serve a day, regardless of what you are serving! So if you serve only French Toast, you'd only be pulling in 43,200 coins a day gross.

On the other hand, if you served bagels for example, even with that limit, you'd be pulling in 129,600 coins a day and with the lifting of the limit on the number of appliances you can buy, costly, long cook dishes like Roast Chicken would eventually become viable for whole day servings.

Unregistered
02-20-11, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=aflyb0y;46082]

In my post I suggested cooking 1 set of roast turkey ( 1 set being all 11 appliances cooking the same dish at the same time) then following it up with 2-5 sets of bagels depending on how punctual you were.

But that's was at the time when the max number of appliances was 11, this cap since been lifted and I am unsure of what the cap is currently.

Thanks for breaking that down! I had the same thought process as the OP. 

Unregistered
02-21-11, 04:35 PM
Does the restaurant need to be the maximum sq foot in order to receive the maximum amount of customers per hour? Or does it matter what size the restaurant is as long as there are at least 24 free tables with unblocked chairs?

Thx

deadpix
02-21-11, 04:42 PM
Does the restaurant need to be the maximum sq foot in order to receive the maximum amount of customers per hour? Or does it matter what size the restaurant is as long as there are at least 24 free tables with unblocked chairs?

Thx

You only need the 24 free tables with unblocked chairs and a restaurant large enough to support them; together with the appliances and serving counters.

Unregistered
02-21-11, 05:32 PM

Now i got it! Thanks for explaining it. So did you get any new outlook on the new combination of food to cook to get the highest profit =)? When you have time you should hit me up on RS, my ID is aflyb0y pretty sure you still remember me =D

Unregistered
02-22-11, 04:52 PM
Can't believe how into a game you people are!

Unregistered
02-22-11, 05:56 PM
Can't believe how into a game you people are!

*shrug*

Some of us are cerebral types for whom the fun lies in analyzing data and planning the best course of action. :)

To each his own.

Elyott
02-25-11, 08:01 AM
deadpixel, any new update for best dish to cook ? Since the limited application cap is gone. Waiting for your good news.

anemos
04-20-11, 05:42 PM
I've heard that the max quantity of appliances has been raised to 18, so anybody mind sharing their new combination of food cooking to maximize our profit :D?

jace888
04-22-11, 08:30 AM
All I can say is good job guys. I'm impressed that you've put so much thought into this. I'm also surprised that there are intellectual people who play this game. I only do it because my gf plays and wants the gifts & tips (but I somehow ended up on level 53).

jace888
04-22-11, 08:31 AM
Oh, and all the assumptions etc don't take into account if you can't sit there and play all day (e.g. when you're at work/uni/etc) then a lot of the profitable options may not be viable :(

Rachael98
04-22-11, 04:50 PM

Limitations:

Genius. I like Maths, but you are pure genius. Congratulations on being...clever. No, that's an understatement. Oh well.

Rachael98
04-22-11, 04:53 PM
What do you mean by the text in bold?:(

All I can say is good job guys. I'm impressed that you've put so much thought into this. I'm also surprised that there are intellectual people who play this game. I only do it because my gf plays and wants the gifts & tips (but I somehow ended up on level 53).

Why shouldn't there be clever people? I'm hurt.

jace888
04-23-11, 05:43 AM
What do you mean by the text in bold?:(

Why shouldn't there be clever people? I'm hurt.

I incorrectly assumed this game was targeting kids (i.e. <13y/o's) or less-than-average individuals, and I was the only (reasonably intelligent**) adult who played this game.

** = take with a pinch of salt and pretend i was being modest

Dylanie
05-16-11, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the spreadsheet! I'm curious though why it's being computed as earnings per hour, with the french toast being the "top earner". I'm thinking that the number of servings each dish has should be taken into account. After I downloaded the spreadsheet, I added a column, and used the formula =(Gold-Cost)/Servings which gave me Roast Chicken as the top earner with $6.33 per serving. Is there another factor I'm not taking into account? Thanks.

bawpotter
05-16-11, 05:54 PM
I incorrectly assumed this game was targeting kids (i.e. <13y/o's) or less-than-average individuals, and I was the only (reasonably intelligent**) adult who played this game.

** = take with a pinch of salt and pretend i was being modest

I find it a great game to get your mind off stressful things, which beehoves even the oldest of people. I think that there could be people who play that went to Harvard, or people who didn't go to college at all. Most likely, the ones from Harvard do better, but that's just my 2 cents. I think that any person of any age would enjoy Restaurant Story!

kooky panda
10-30-11, 08:12 AM
Please see this thread for a more up to date list of items for the game. http://forums.teamlava.com/showthread.php?18009-Restaurant-Recipe-Inventory-amp-Chart-!!&p=140839&viewfull=1#post140839