PDA

View Full Version : Very disappointed

Mikonoda
10-10-12, 11:33 AM
tl;dr: Great idea for a game, horrible execution turns it into a blatant money grab.

I played Bakery Story for months and loved it before I finally reached the highest level and got bored. When I heard about Dragon Story I was excited. Initially it seemed to be everything I hoped for in a game.

After less than three days of playing, I'm so disillusioned I'm close to giving up. From what I hear Bakery Story has changed to have some of the same problems. It should have been such an awesome game, and I just wanted to lay out why I'm disappointed so others can be warned, and hopefully Team Lava will improve the issues.

1. Gold

Biggest reason I will be leaving, hands down. You can only gift a few people each day with gold? I've seen people saying three around the forum, but so far in my experience it's only two. Plus, there's no indication of the limit anywhere in the game. I just kept getting a message saying I had 'already gifted that person today' when I most definitely hadn't. I had to search through the forums here to discover that what I thought was a bug was in fact a game-imposed limit.

I've also seen mentioned on multiple FAQs that you're supposed to start with 40 gold, but it looks like they've cut it down to 20 recently, or on certain platforms. The FAQs - including the in-game one - all talk about gifting like having more friends is the best way to get more gold.

I know that technically you don't need gold. It's possible to breed all dragons without it, and you can just wait out the long times the hard way. But let's face it, they've set the game up so that gold is extremely desirable to have. I understand that they don't want people just friending a hundred players and getting piles of gold each day. But it would be more reasonable to limit the amount of incoming gold you can ACCEPT to, say, five each day. Instead people who are smart enough to have chosen island names starting with 'a' will be getting all kinds of gold, likewise people who have IRL friends playing will be able to count on getting sent at least a few each day, and the rest of us just have to cross our fingers and pray.

2. Debris cost

The cost of clearing the debris in the initial area was quite reasonable. And I get why the cost should increase with each new area you clear, since presumably you have more dragons and are producing more silver than the last time you cleared out. But an increase by a factor of TEN? I'm level ten and crammed into my initial area, scrambling to save enough to upgrade my farm and put out a magic area and dragon, etc. I don't have 50,000 silver available to clear a single tree! Is it going to go up again when I expand a second time?

From what I've seen on this forum, this increase in cost may be a new addition to the game. Again, intended to make gold ever more desirable since you can use it to buy silver.

3. Time lengths

Breeding and hatching times depend on the type of dragons involved. Breeding my basic green and yellow takes ten hours, and then another ten hours to hatch the egg. You can only have one breeding ground and one nest, at least at this stage of the game. That seems excessive. I'm setting up my nest and breeding first thing each morning and last thing each night, and spending the rest of the day doing pretty much nothing. Presumably when I get into the fancier types of dragons it will take even longer! I could of course speed it up with gold... you see where I'm going with this.

4. Loading issues

This one I'll acknowledge is probably due to the fact that I've only got a Galaxy S, and after just two years on the market it's helplessly outdated. Load times are painfully long, I often have to hit buttons multiple times to get them to register that I've hit them - and I can see the potential there to accidentally spend gold all over the place, as I've seen others complaining here on the forum. I know from the reviews on googleplay that lots of people are unable to play the game at all for constant freezing and forcequitting.

5. Playing with dragons

Hopefully this is an issue that will improve as more players get past the first twenty levels or so, but right now it's almost impossible to find any of my neighbours who have open pens to play with. Most people don't even have six pens, let alone six available ones. I clear out mine as soon as the game notifies me that they've been visited, and I still get people leaving 'you're full' messages on my wall. Getting up to four social rating was painful, I could only play with one or two dragons for every three or four islands I visited!

In Bakery Story the equivalent was tipping, and it depended on the number of open tables. The difference is that tables weren't all that expensive - it was the food-making machines that were expensive, and decorations. So even a fairly low-level person could put out enough tables to be able to collect tips from multiple friends between visits. In Dragon Story the pens are expensive, the dragons are expensive, and space to put them is ruinously expensive with the cost of clearing debris in a new area. You can't even play with an empty pen, for obvious reasons, so cramming pens in doesn't help much.

Also - and this was a problem I had in Bakery Story as well - I can't actually see that my dragons have been played with unless I fully exit the game and re-enter. I'll get the notification on my News, but no sparkles and no extra silver. Though if I empty the pens of the tiny amount of silver and THEN go out and back in, it acts as if I've cleared them, but I still didn't get the bonus.

Overall:

What should have been a really fun and diverting game instead comes across as a massive cash grab. Everything is set up to make you want gold really badly, and also set up so that it's INCREDIBLY difficult to get gold except by buying it. Of course the developers want to make money on their game. But by making it SO obvious that they're after the money, they've made me not want to spend any at all. I have a policy that if I'm still enjoying a game after a week of playing, I'll donate or buy gold or however they have it set up, regardless of whether I actually need to or not, because I do want to support the developers of the good games.

Not even three days in and I'm ready to rage quit Dragon Story.

foxxiegirl
10-10-12, 11:46 AM
Well i do wish you all the best in the other games you choose to play :) I for one love Dragon Story...It does have some flaws but so do all games. Not ever game is ment for everybody. There is another game out there that people always say is better then this one and i wont say the name because it's against forum etiquette, but i personally hated it. We should all enjoy the games weplay after all, and if we aren't then we shouldn't complain about it :( just move on because the time we spend complaining....we could be enjoying someplace else.

Mikonoda
10-10-12, 04:54 PM
Actually I took the time to make this post specifically because I'm hoping they'll improve some of the problems. If nobody ever says what they don't like about a game, how are the developers ever supposed to know how to improve it?

foxxiegirl
10-10-12, 05:13 PM
Never said your opinion wasn't valid. I said you can't make everybody happy. Impo, if they make some of the changes you'd like, others would be unhappy.....myself included.

mslushes
10-10-12, 05:21 PM
girl u should have tweet them

Ekaterina777
10-10-12, 10:53 PM
I agree on most of the points. Social part should be modified certainly! And cost of trees is way too high!

justplainlucas
10-11-12, 10:14 AM
Never said your opinion wasn't valid. I said you can't make everybody happy. Impo, if they make some of the changes you'd like, others would be unhappy.....myself included.

I don't understand how those changes he suggested would make ANYONE unhappy... These changes would be for the better; they'd make the game more fun... The social aspect of the game is horrible, because new players like myself are extremely limited to expansion meaning for a lot of others, it's pointless to visit because we have nothing for them to do... Why do you want this game to continue to stagnate?

dragonolic
10-11-12, 12:23 PM
Yeah, your impressions are common to (most) of the community here. The people who are happy are few, and many of them make comments about buying hundreds of dollars in gold so I just can't fathom that.

FYI- When I started, I saw someone's blog post say that he had ~250 friends and got ~20 gold a day. I had 250 friends for 2 months, and never got more than 2-3 gold at a time. I cut my list down to about 100 now, but I still get only 1-2 gold a day from friends.

scarpetta
10-11-12, 08:46 PM
I agree with most of your issues Miko... And so do a LOT of other players, unfortunately complaints regarding high clearing costs are falling on the developers deaf ears :/*

However, I may have a little help for one problem... About clearing habitats, when I harvest and replant new fruit my "sparkles" show up. Same if I visit a neighbor and come back. As for getting more gold...Visiting neighbors as often as possible and being friendly on their walls helps. I get at least 10 gold/day often more. I've grown to enjoy my neighbors as much as the game at this point - some are really funny :) *Although, the ridiculous clearing costs and obvious attempts by TL to bully us into spending our real gold has had the opposite effect and made me Stop spending money on this game, I still enjoy collecting the dragons and gigglin with my virtual neighbors... For now... good *luck to ya...

MizCricket
10-13-12, 05:09 PM

I can't imagine which of the suggested changes would make anyone unhappy. Which one don't you like and why?

mammami08
10-13-12, 05:32 PM
I can't imagine which of the suggested changes would make anyone unhappy. Which one don't you like and why?

I was just wondering the same? I'm lvl 63 and have been for some time now but i wouldn't be unhappy if this changes should happen, i would be very happy since that meens team lava finally listend to us, the custumers....!

Siobhan2661
10-13-12, 06:42 PM
No. But you said "we shouldn't complain about it" so you are putting limits on what he can say. I say more power to him!

Siobhan2661
10-13-12, 09:20 PM
Never said your opinion wasn't valid..

No. But you said "we shouldn't complain about it" so you are putting limits on what he can say. I say more power to him!

I came here grumbling about a lot he did but just wanted to see if that whole tree $ thing is a fluke or something because I am level 7 and painfully paid for a needed expansion only to see all this I have to pay to clear, including a $15,000 (!!!) tree.

So I am done with this one since it does seem to be a reamfest. Thanks for your opinion and taking the time to post about it.

Darkstorm2
10-14-12, 07:01 PM
It's my fault expansion and clearing prices went up. Sorry about that. But at higher levels they are actually quite low. They do need to equalize the costs by level.

phatmama08
10-14-12, 11:21 PM
I must say I agree with him on most of his points. I'm on level 16 and still don't understanding the gifting gold thing. I try to visit my neighbors to only wait minutes for them to load, which most of the time I just start randomly clicking on the ground shadows to see if I can play, mostly to no avail. It seems like it could really be a very fun game if the the previously mentioned problems were fixed. Team Lava needs to listen to the people!!!