PDA

View Full Version : underage users in games

Unregistered
11-25-10, 04:01 PM
It seems quite a few players in RS are under the age of 14 .And quite a few that are between 14-18 that are supposed to have guardian approval are using language that's inappropriate ..I feel if usage from minors is going to be ignored and possible interaction with adults in a manner that might be morally wrong should be addressed .. Anybody else notice (iffy) conversations..? I love these games and believe even with the bugs they are well developed .. Btw I play all 4 games 3 devices and invested over 2k real money

Unregistered
11-25-10, 07:44 PM
"2k real money" wow.. can you upload some pictures?

Unregistered
11-25-10, 09:06 PM
2k spent on a game? I would love to have $50 just to go and spend on myself! This just goes to show why teamlava keep making everything for sale with gems. They cater to people like you who are willing and/or able to spend that kind of money, and completely forget those of us who simply can not afford it. 2k is 4 weeks wages for me.

Unregistered
11-26-10, 10:42 AM
How does one know the age of the people in question?

Unregistered
11-26-10, 04:47 PM
Read the walls and comments .. Very easy to pick out who is underage.. Quite a few adults in conversations with children that should be reserved for adults only.. So teamlava when you gonna do something? I do think apple will remove your apps if you continue to ignore the issues.. Btw come Monday it will be national news.. Good thing about the power of having a private white house number .. TL you know who I am call me.. Will be fun

Unregistered
11-26-10, 08:10 PM
Read the walls and comments .. Very easy to pick out who is underage.. Quite a few adults in conversations with children that should be reserved for adults only.. So teamlava when you gonna do something? I do think apple will remove your apps if you continue to ignore the issues.. Btw come Monday it will be national news.. Good thing about the power of having a private white house number .. TL you know who I am call me.. Will be fun

Seriously?!? Want to brag a bit more?

Check out the details in the itunes store....it is rated 4+

What you are complaining about it an issue with ALL online games, chat rooms, email, etc. I dont think that this problem falls directly on teamlava's shoulders...I think that the parents should be responsible. What do you expect teamlava to do? Really? The game itself is not graphically or morally explicit, is it, so I dont see what changing the rating is going to do. And I dont see how it will change the situation anyway, as children and teens are still going to be able to get and play the games....they will just get their parents to get it for them. So once again, it would be the parents problem, not teamlavas.

I think you are just looking for attention, trying to make yourself look far more important that you really are. If you were really offended by comments then you would report it to teamlava though email, with the offending players storm 8 id, not write a threatening thread in the forum.

Maybe you are the one that needs to grow up.

Unregistered
11-27-10, 03:21 PM
You are so right why didn't they send the storm ID to TL. It is parents responsibility to monitor underage use.

Unregistered
11-27-10, 03:50 PM
Seriously?!? Want to brag a bit more?

Check out the details in the itunes store....it is rated 4+

What you are complaining about it an issue with ALL online games, chat rooms, email, etc. I dont think that this problem falls directly on teamlava's shoulders...I think that the parents should be responsible. What do you expect teamlava to do? Really? The game itself is not graphically or morally explicit, is it, so I dont see what changing the rating is going to do. And I dont see how it will change the situation anyway, as children and teens are still going to be able to get and play the games....they will just get their parents to get it for them. So once again, it would be the parents problem, not teamlavas.

I think you are just looking for attention, trying to make yourself look far more important that you really are. If you were really offended by comments then you would report it to teamlava though email, with the offending players storm 8 id, not write a threatening thread in the forum.

Maybe you are the one that needs to grow up.

exactly!

Well done!

It's the parents who are at fault if they are allowing their kids to chat in game. Where is the responsibility?

And can u believe that poster! Omg just another person who thinks they're the center of the universe. National news lmao. Anyone who this is news to ( monsters trolling games) is a moron.

Which is why any parent who allows their child to play any game that has social interaction should be watching over the kids shoulder. Yes, that means webkinz world too.

What a self absorbed person that poster is. But guess they have to make up for some inadequacy. And the tone, sounds like a would be, wanna be, extortionist. Thats a crime too.

Unregistered
11-27-10, 03:55 PM

You're an idiot. Some thinks just a bit too much of themselves.

I detest pedophiles, but if they're trolling in the games, then it's the parents responsibility to keep their kids safe, and cyber smart.
No matter the game, these trolls are. Like someone said, even web kinz. You don't let your young child play where there is ability to chat unless u are right there with them! To put the responsibility elsewhere is a cop out.

And ya, you do sound like an extortionist. Right up there on the detestable scale with pedophiles.

Unregistered
11-27-10, 04:39 PM

You're a joker. Let's see, thanksgiving weekend. Norman is rarely if ever here on weekends, and you're making threats about 'come monday'

What a goof, what a maroon.

Doesn't the white house have more to worry about than a looney threatening a simple games developers over something that is a parental responsibility?

Oh, I don't know, like what's going on in the middle east? The economy? To name two.

You really expect to be taken seriously? Get help.

Unregistered
11-28-10, 09:45 AM
If I see inappropriate chat involving a younger player. I just post a remainder that sharing personal information with strangers is not safe. They usually post back that they had no intention of sharing. This is a community, so we should really be looking out for each other

Unregistered
11-28-10, 04:24 PM
If I see inappropriate chat involving a younger player. I just post a remainder that sharing personal information with strangers is not safe. They usually post back that they had no intention of sharing. This is a community, so we should really be looking out for each other

Good on you! I cant believe the OP's view on this subject.... blame teamlava rather than choosing to take a very simple, yet probably very effective step towards protecting fellow community members. Obviously it wont work all the time, but if it protects just one person then it is worth it. The way children and teens can be these days, and the ease of access to the internet means that we need to change our way of thinking, our way of protecting.

I hope that there are many more people like you out there, simply reminding my children of potential dangers.

Unregistered
11-29-10, 07:44 AM
I looked at original post and it mentions underage. I think better safeguards should be implimented to add some form of net to show that access or use is restricted to adults or users who have guardian permission. Didn't myspace have a issue that's why they use a database to check for sex offenders names ect. Reading the release of liability teamlava put in their terms of service, the liability rests on us users.. I think I will quit using a game that for one doesn't deliver what is stated in iTunes . And now I have to ask the age of others to make sure my " thanks for tipping sweetie" to a neighbor who can be underage, doesnt invoke a report to the police for unlawful communication. Too many loopholes that are not plugged and all it takes is one child and one adult crossing the line. Not for me teamlava .

Unregistered
11-29-10, 08:49 AM
I am 14 and I think that this is a load of poop and it is not teamlava's fault if us youngins wanna be protected we will. Most likely they don't want your help. So just leave it alone and let them operate there restaurant!

Unregistered
11-29-10, 09:27 AM
You're an idiot. Some thinks just a bit too much of themselves.

I detest pedophiles, but if they're trolling in the games, then it's the parents responsibility to keep their kids safe, and cyber smart.
No matter the game, these trolls are. Like someone said, even web kinz. You don't let your young child play where there is ability to chat unless u are right there with them! To put the responsibility elsewhere is a cop out.

And ya, you do sound like an extortionist. Right up there on the detestable scale with pedophiles.

Your exactly the reason why our society is falling apart, I only care about me, me, me is your mantra. It is the responsibility of adults to set examples for children and help their parents either by informing then what their kids are doing or report them to the company controling the game. I am so saddened that people like you just turn your head and keep on doing whatever while some kids life could be being ruined, but hey as long as it does not directly affect you your attitude is so what who cares let them do whatever they want it's a free Country eh. What is it going to take for people to wake up?

Unregistered
11-29-10, 09:45 AM
Your exactly the reason why our society is falling apart, I only care about me, me, me is your mantra. It is the responsibility of adults to set examples for children and help their parents either by informing then what their kids are doing or report them to the company controling the game. I am so saddened that people like you just turn your head and keep on doing whatever while some kids life could be being ruined, but hey as long as it does not directly affect you your attitude is so what who cares let them do whatever they want it's a free Country eh. What is it going to take for people to wake up?

These "kids" can take care of themselves. Or there parents can so get over yourself this is an apple GAME get over it. This is not the problem. NO one can find these kids information if there not giving it out and if they are that's there parents fault.

Calicomfort
11-29-10, 12:14 PM
I have been playing social online games for a while now. Intially, to supervise my own kids, and then for the fun of it. I played a Disney game aimed at 7-14 yo, but of course, we grown ups played alongside the younger players. The game was heavily moderated and players found ways to say inappropriate things despite the restricted dictionary. We called that 'dictionary dancing'. I now play another game, again moderated, aimed at the 13+ crowd. Again, personal information is being shared despite the warnings. Underage kids play, and if found out are reported and banned. Game developers can only do so much. Some ban accounts or ip's but the determined find a way around it. The older players do try to educate the younger players about Internet safety.

CaliComfort

Unregistered
11-29-10, 03:27 PM

How very hippy of u. No dear, you're what's wrong with society. Always displacing blame and responsibility.

If I saw a suspected ' incident' I would screen shot it and report it.

However I wouldn't blame the developers. I blame the offender, then the parents.

Because ultimately, if u have kids your primary job is to teach and protect them. Not foist that responsibility onto the 'village'. Too many parents are using these devices as babysitters. Shame on them!

My kid uses a computer, I'm right there. Watching. Everything. Explaining traps and deviant sick people. Teaching never to take anyone at face value, especially not a cyber persona. So don't worry, I don't need a village or a hippy or foisting my job on others. I do it!
Do yours. What really offended me with your post, or the post we are debating is the national news come Monday crack.

Any idiot knows that pedophiles will target kids games. Which is why PARENTS Must be vigilant. The post also sounded like an extortion attempt by a very self absorbed arrogant ass. Already too many of those in this world.

Unregistered
11-29-10, 06:15 PM
I'm 12 and I play. I haven't come across any weird conversations yet except for tyr cyc cue wyf lol

My mom is always watching too but she is tooooooo protective sometimes

In case you haven't figured it she is pretty much reading as I type lol

I have been taught a lot about cyber stalking bullying and creeps. From at home but also in school because it's part of our computer lab.

I'm just saying that we kids are smarter than some people here think we are. Some even if they don't have good parents are probably learning in school. We know not to give our names and address or anything that they can find us with.

You guys can't protect us from seeing everything and to punish us because of some bad grownups is mean and unfair.

Also it isn't the games I see bad stuff but here on the forum so if there is bad examples it's here but I know enough not to say these things or I lose time on my moms iPad. So please stop talking like we are stupid ok. We aren't and probably know more about computers and danger on them than some of you grown ups

Unregistered
11-29-10, 06:59 PM
I'm 12 and I play. I haven't come across any weird conversations yet except for tyr cyc cue wyf lol

My mom is always watching too but she is tooooooo protective sometimes

In case you haven't figured it she is pretty much reading as I type lol

I have been taught a lot about cyber stalking bullying and creeps. From at home but also in school because it's part of our computer lab.

I'm just saying that we kids are smarter than some people here think we are. Some even if they don't have good parents are probably learning in school. We know not to give our names and
address or anything that they can find us with.

You guys can't protect us from seeing everything and to punish us because of some bad grownups is mean and unfair.

Also it isn't the games I see bad stuff but here on the forum so if there is bad examples it's here but I know enough not to say these things or I lose time on my moms iPad. So please stop talking like we are stupid ok. We aren't and probably know more about computers and danger on them than some of you grown ups

I completely agree and I'm 14 and some of you guys act like kids my age and this kids age but were not children anymore and "protecting" us from "bad language" won't get us ready for Our adult years so please just stop. I think the only way you are entitled to help us is if you see something extremely alarming or if we kids ask! So you may think you're helping us kids. But from my point of veiw your obnoxious and think were six when were not it would probably help if you think about your younger years and realize we are smarter than we look or seem. So get over yourselves.

MMSIsaac
11-29-10, 07:10 PM
I know kids shouldn't swear and all that stuff. I'm in 7th grade and I'll tell you, you basically aren't going to find a kid that doesn't use bad language. I don't know why all you care about kids using bad language. Who cares! It's called freedom of speech. Teamlava can't tell people what they can and can't say! That's my 2 cents!

Unregistered
11-29-10, 07:25 PM
I completely agree and I'm 14 and some of you guys act like kids my age and this kids age but were not children anymore and "protecting" us from "bad language" won't get us ready for Our adult years so please just stop. I think the only way you are entitled to help us is if you see something extremely alarming or if we kids ask! So you may think you're helping us kids. But from my point of veiw your obnoxious and think were six when were not it would probably help if you think about your younger years and realize we are smarter than we look or seem. So get over yourselves.

I think the debate is actually not so much about bad language, as it is regarding predators. And as an adult, I agree with you. It's our job to pass knowledge on, including how to identify to you other adults who may want to harm you.

But shielding you from life experience will not prepare you for adulthood. It will in fact do the opposite. What we can do is if we see one of these predators talking to someone we think may be young, try and get that message to you. As the poster said above you, I know you're being at least taught by schools. I hope by your parents as well. Adults that try to befriend unknown kids are not trying to be cool or nice to you, or get you out of a crappy situation. They are probably trying to suck you in to do physical harm to you.

As long as you're aware of that, then you can safeguard yourself.

You sound pretty smart, so hope you have fun playing the games. If you suspect an adult is pretending to be a kid (common ploy) or is using language that you know and feel is inappropriate, either tell your parents and/or screen shot the jerk and send it to team lava

Be smart, be careful, and have fun!

ZL123
11-29-10, 10:24 PM
You think that?
I'm 10!

Why should this happen?
Got nothing else to say. Fo sho.

Unregistered
11-29-10, 10:37 PM
You think that?
I'm 10!

Why should this happen?
Got nothing else to say. Fo sho.

Nothing else to say? You didn't say anything in the first place. You entered into a debate but didn't offer any opinion.

The main theme of this thread is about the possible danger to children when online with adults, and your comment demonstrates, in my opinion, why some of us have concerns.

However, I dont believe that we need to restrict game play to adults. The itunes store advertises that game for 4+. My 7yo and 11yo play, they know the rules, and I keep a close eye on them. I dont class this as an adult game, nor a childs, but as a mother I make sure that my children are being made aware of risks, and I believe that is my job as a parent. Bad language is out there everywhere, and I just tell my kids that it is not something I ever want to hear from them, and then I just hope that they follow through.

Unregistered
11-30-10, 09:34 AM
A few posters here say they think they smarter than we give them credit for.. I call you on that.. These games and service are fir ages 18 and above or 14-18 with guardian permission .. So again reading and posting on a underage thread, without even reading the rules of teamlava is advising that these games should be just shut down

Unregistered
11-30-10, 07:53 PM
A few posters here say they think they smarter than we give them credit for.. I call you on that.. These games and service are fir ages 18 and above or 14-18 with guardian permission .. So again reading and posting on a underage thread, without even reading the rules of teamlava is advising that these games should be just shut down

Oh sure, let's just shut down games that so many ppl enjoy because a few have their heads up their butt. Lol. Not. Oh, and it's spelled 'for' not 'fir'. Where you from? The backwoods bible thumping belt?

Guess you're one of those looney fundamentalists that think games and dancing, etc., should all be banned because they are evil and contribute to delinquency? Thank god not everyone is as insane as you.

Unregistered
11-30-10, 08:24 PM

The TOS reads as thus:
By registering for an Account or otherwise using the Service, you represent that (1) you are age 14 or older, (2) you understand and agree to these Terms of Service, and (3) if you are between the ages of 14 and 18, your legal guardian has reviewed and agrees to these Terms of Service.

So here is your flaw in any legal case.

I have an account. I am the account holder and I am in my FORTIES. I allow my child, who is nine, to play one of the games....one of MY games, under my supervision. There in effect has been NO breach or contravention of the TOS. That they have specified their target audience is one thing That in and of itself is not a binding legal agreement. I as the account holder, am of the age criteria. This criteria is most likely built in due to contractual issues regarding in app purchases and minors ( ie minors under the age of 14 cannot be held to financial contracts in many jurisdictions) and has little to do with the game content. Which in my opinion can be rated for general audiences, meaning without age restrictions.

Furthermore, if you want to open this can, these games cross jurisdictional boundaries. If you really wanted to start something, the developers could switch their offices to Canada, as an example, and you lose. Trust me, because then you'll be playing in my ballpark and I'd have your action shut down before it you could even file. We are just not as litigious over frivolous items up here.

Also, what I know of American law, I doubt your claim would see the light of day there either. The u.s. Constitution gives it's citizens many rights, protections, and freedoms.
Courts have upheld parents rights to parent. Here as well as there.

So in a nut shell, if the parent, as the account holder, and therefore the one bound by financial contractual matters, allows their child to play under parental supervision, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on in trying to shut these, or any other online game, down.

That you think it's wrong, irresponsible, or what have you, is immaterial. And quite frankly, I don't care what you think of it. I will do for my family what I feel is right and responsible, without care of how a right wing fanatic feels about it.

Good night.

Unregistered
11-30-10, 08:37 PM

You are a COMPLETE IDIOT!!!

If it affects you so much, then dont play. Dont open the games. Delete them off your device. Get off this forum. And finally, Go And Annoy Someone Else!

ZL123
11-30-10, 08:39 PM
Nothing else to say? You didn't say anything in the first place. You entered into a debate but didn't offer any opinion.

The main theme of this thread is about the possible danger to children when online with adults, and your comment demonstrates, in my opinion, why some of us have concerns.

However, I dont believe that we need to restrict game play to adults. The itunes store advertises that game for 4+. My 7yo and 11yo play, they know the rules, and I keep a close eye on them. I dont class this as an adult game, nor a childs, but as a mother I make sure that my children are being made aware of risks, and I believe that is my job as a parent. Bad language is out there everywhere, and I just tell my kids that it is not something I ever want to hear from them, and then I just hope that they follow through.Sorry I just had nothing in my mind at that moment. Yeah, I don't think we should restrict it. What bad is it? If you know the rules, it's okay, right?

Unregistered
11-30-10, 08:45 PM
I want to take this opportunity to preempt a potential rebuttal by making clear that, under legal terms, and for all expressed contractural purposes, I am the user of the service.

Similarly to, if you can imagine, your cable or telephone service. You are the account holder and service user. It doesn't mean you can't allow your children to watch television or use the phone, now does it?

What it means is, if they make a long distance call, or buy a pay per view, it's the parent who will be responsible to pay as the account holder and service user.

Good night again.

Unregistered
11-30-10, 08:53 PM
I want to take this opportunity to preempt a potential rebuttal by making clear that, under legal terms, and for all expressed contractural purposes, I am the user of the service.

Similarly to, if you can imagine, your cable or telephone service. You are the account holder and service user. It doesn't mean you can't allow your children to watch television or use the phone, now does it?

What it means is, if they make a long distance call, or buy a pay per view, it's the parent who will be responsible to pay as the account holder and service user.

Good night again.

You a lawyer? Nice to know we have one on our side to shut these idiots up if you are. Yes! Slam dunked the ass!! Good job I'm lmao right now

Unregistered
11-30-10, 09:18 PM
Anyone else notice that Norman has been around the forum and has avoided commenting on this thread. Wisely and rightfully so I think. Guess he figures the 'account holders And service users' are working this one out just fine.

Most of us don't want to see kids put at risk,ok. Most of us will report if we see something untoward happening. Not just in game, but in life too. Especially in the real world cause thats where the real risk is.

But no need to punish the kids or flame parents just because one or two feel the need to control others who have done nothing other than play a little game.

It's these one or two that try to ruin things for everyone, and it's just wrong.

Unregistered
12-01-10, 10:26 AM
A few posts here are from kids who are underage per the rules.. (agree) ?? Next the parent who owns the device( the account) is breaking the rules if he or she allows a child under 14 to access these games( per the rules) As for an opinion on why norm not posting and no updates or xmas stuff.. ( he took the money and ran) these were buggy games from the beginning and almost a copy from another companies games.. Never lived up the updatee weekly promise .. And if you read up on ( teamlava) on internet .. Wow we bought the guy a car and house..

Unregistered
12-01-10, 11:31 AM
These girls have given him their phone numbers and they are planning on meeting up.
Parents need to watch what their kids are doing

Unregistered
12-01-10, 01:53 PM
these girls have given him their phone numbers and they are planning on meeting up.

name and shame

Unregistered
12-01-10, 03:06 PM
These girls have given him their phone numbers and they are planning on meeting up.

And what have you done about it? Anything?

Unregistered
12-01-10, 03:30 PM
I know kids shouldn't swear and all that stuff. I'm in 7th grade and I'll tell you, you basically aren't going to find a kid that doesn't use bad language. I don't know why all you care about kids using bad language. Who cares! It's called freedom of speech. Teamlava can't tell people what they can and can't say! That's my 2 cents!

Um... Excuse me? Are you trying to suggest every single child in year 7 swears? Well you are wrong. Most of the year 7 people I know wouldn't dream of swearing. I think you are quite rude to suggest that all kids swear. I am very offended by that. And yes I am year 7 in case you are wondering. I'm just a little more mature than you.

Unregistered
12-01-10, 05:04 PM
A few posts here are from kids who are underage per the rules.. (agree) ?? Next the parent who owns the device( the account) is breaking the rules if he or she allows a child under 14 to access these games( per the rules) As for an opinion on why norm not posting and no updates or xmas stuff.. ( he took the money and ran) these were buggy games from the beginning and almost a copy from another companies games.. Never lived up the updatee weekly promise .. And if you read up on ( teamlava) on internet .. Wow we bought the guy a car and house..

You are incorrect re the parent letting their kid play the game, from a legal standpoint. As for the rest...I enjoy the games and don't find them as buggy as other games. And oh look, it's Norman lol 

Unregistered
12-04-10, 10:07 AM
I am 13 and although you guys are saying we cant protect ourselves and other junk, I understand your concern. I personally haven't seen any bad influences in the game but the thing that made me really mad was the 1st pist. 2k on a freakin GAME???!!! yeah right, if anything mister(or misses) THIS proves who actually needs to have some one looking over there shoulder. Anyway, I downliaded this app with my dads permission thinking itwould be a fun game and stuff. It is( minus the overly high prices) and I'm not going to delete it because some gov't snob makes a complaint to teamlava via a PUBLIC FORUM instead of a professional business email or something. And to all the concerned parents out there I have not/will not give out any personal info and please make sure all the idiots you catch are banned as the your part as a responsible adult( unlike a bragging immature adult).
Sincerely,
ME (sorry for any spelling errors touch screen is messing up)

Unregistered
12-04-10, 10:17 AM

Good night again.

Lol good night! Yeah so im the same 13 year old poster and i want to say kudos to this person. I dont have an itunes account, its HIS and he is very much within the age limit so... (:

Unregistered
12-05-10, 10:12 AM
Underage people in an iPhone game? Really ? Omg the world might end. Meanwhile, I let my three year old niece tip everyone Soooo... But really. How can this be an actual issue someone thinks about?

Unregistered
12-05-10, 12:46 PM
It seems quite a few players in RS are under the age of 14 .And quite a few that are between 14-18 that are supposed to have guardian approval are using language that's inappropriate ..I feel if usage from minors is going to be ignored and possible interaction with adults in a manner that might be morally wrong should be addressed .. Anybody else notice (iffy) conversations..? I love these games and believe even with the bugs they are well developed .. Btw I play all 4 games 3 devices and invested over 2k real money

I agree with u. They r quick to use profanity. I just got abuse on restaurant for leaving NTT and they had a space...a lot of cursing. What can be done about it? I can't see anywhere to report it.

Unregistered
12-05-10, 10:29 PM
Ok. The whole White House thing was kind a cheesy. But, y'all (yea I'm Southern, what?!) are being a little too harsh. This brings up a valid point. From looking at other threads, it is obvious that TL monitors these forums and take comments under consideration. If a person is already on this site, then it's easier to post here than go looking for the official support page. Also, it is proven that it's more effective to make a complaint in public. People on this forum will be looking to see if TL does anything about this and other comments.

As for what can be done, on the same page as the wall there can be a button to report for inappropriate language. As for putting the responsibility on the parents, what about the kids whose parents really don't care? Should we let them fall by the wayside, because it's not our problem and not our kid. Most kids in America have no supervision and are practically raising themselves. And, some parents are so clueless they don't realize the risks or understand the technology. I would guess that if there was a poll most people 40 or older have never heard of these games and have no idea there are games on their kids phone where they can talk to adults. Most peope over 40 don't even use the Internet on their phone or even check email on their phone. Maybe that's just in my area, but I just found out about these games a couple of months ago and didn't realize they were interactive when I downloaded it.

But, basically, when we let our kids fall by the wayside and fall to predators, it not only affects that kid but our whole society. The Internet is not only interactive the real world is too.