PDA

View Full Version : iOS 6, Is It Worth It?

bigbux3
09-19-12, 06:15 PM
I'm stuck whether to update my iPod Touch to iOS 6. There's nothing real HUGE and significant to this update, plus, YouTube is gone. This update takes about 2.4 GB on my device and I only have an 8GB device. Because of TeamLava's games and my other 15-20 apps are high in MB. If I update, I may have to delete a few games. Let alone my iPod only has 3 "songs" on it.

What do you iOS users think I should do? And have you updated yourself?

queentina3
09-19-12, 06:47 PM
I haven't updated yet, I'm waiting to make sure all the Apps I use have upgraded to allow for iOS 6 capability first. The file size is showing 561 mb in my General - Software Update for my iPad 2. I wonder why your file size is so much larger than mine?

greygull
09-19-12, 06:55 PM
I'm bad - I wait and wait until I update. How is YouTube gone? It deletes the app? Even if it did, shouldn't you still be able to access it from Safari?

bigbux3
09-19-12, 07:33 PM
I'm bad - I wait and wait until I update. How is YouTube gone? It deletes the app? Even if it did, shouldn't you still be able to access it from Safari?

I hated the YouTube app installed into iOS devices, but then YouTube never kept my history is Safari and after iOS 5, I could never open up YouTube in Safari. So now I like the default YouTube app. But now Apple hasn't renewed their license with Google, so Google Maps is gone and YouTube is gone in iOS 6.

greygull
09-19-12, 07:46 PM
Google Maps is gone? Ok, that one would make me not want to update. I use that one a lot more than YouTube.

I love randomly looking around in there - I've found all kinds of nifty things :)

bigbux3
09-19-12, 08:03 PM
Google Maps is gone? Ok, that one would make me not want to update. I use that one a lot more than YouTube.

I love randomly looking around in there - I've found all kinds of nifty things :)

I only updated because I thought Maps on iPod Touch would have the 3D capability, but it's only for iPhones.

bawpotter
09-19-12, 08:10 PM
I'm using iOS 6 on the 4S, I love it! Don't worry about YouTube. Pretty much the app is a little bit different, and it needs to be downloaded from the App Store, and can in turn be deleted. Just search YouTube in the App Store, it's there. There is no more google maps, but apple released their new map app that took google maps place. The new maps app is fine, it has turn by turn directions tho which is nice. It's different from google, but once u get used to it, probably an improvement. Also if u have iPad 3, you can get Siri. Definitely recommend downloading it, just make sure to back up the device first. I know that the iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 can get it, I'm not positive about the 3GS. iPod touch 4th generation and the new 5th generation (coming out soon) can do iOS 6. And iPad 2 and 3 can, maybe also 1, not sure.

bigbux3
09-19-12, 08:16 PM
I'm using iOS 6 on the 4S, I love it! Don't worry about YouTube. Pretty much the app is a little bit different, and it needs to be downloaded from the App Store, and can in turn be deleted. Just search YouTube in the App Store, it's there. There is no more google maps, but apple released their new map app that took google maps place. The new maps app is fine, it has turn by turn directions tho which is nice. It's different from google, but once u get used to it, probably an improvement. Also if u have iPad 3, you can get Siri. Definitely recommend downloading it, just make sure to back up the device first. I know that the iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 can get it, I'm not positive about the 3GS. iPod touch 4th generation and the new 5th generation (coming out soon) can do iOS 6. And iPad 2 and 3 can, maybe also 1, not sure.

I know the iPod Touch 5th generation also has Siri. I REALLY want Siri, but I don't like the back of the iPod. I don't like the material it's made out of and I don't like that you can see the WiFi sensor like it was on the iPods 1-3.
All I can do on the Maps app is search and get directions. I cant get step by step directions because I'm not on 3G. I'm only on WiFi. I don't get WiFi on the road.
I tested the YouTube app a few days ago. I still have it, but it needs improvement. I want to be able to watch the videos in portrait and landscape mode. You can only watch in landscape. Plus, it doesn't keep your history unless you're logged into an account. I don't have a YouTube account anymore, and I don't really want another one.

pinkster73
09-19-12, 08:39 PM
You should probably get a Samsung galaxy nexus. :p

bigbux3
09-19-12, 08:50 PM
You should probably get a Samsung galaxy nexus. :p

Orrrrrrrr... not.

Androids seem too... complex for me. Honestly.

pinkster73
09-19-12, 09:22 PM
Orrrrrrrr... not.

Androids seem too... complex for me. Honestly.

Naaaa, you'd have it down pat in 5 days or less.

bigbux3
09-19-12, 09:38 PM
Naaaa, you'd have it down pat in 5 days or less.

But it's only a phone. I have an iPod. One payment, and that's when you first get it.

queentina3
09-20-12, 08:40 AM
Ok, I just upgraded and my Game Center is blank. The buttons at the bottom are even missing so I can't tab to friends, games, and etc....Anybody else have a blank Game Center???

kooky panda
09-20-12, 10:40 AM
Ok, I just upgraded and my Game Center is blank. The buttons at the bottom are even missing so I can't tab to friends, games, and etc....Anybody else have a blank Game Center???
My game center loads up find, but photobucket application will not pull up my photo list so I can choose a picture.

iphone 4

northsweets
09-20-12, 11:04 AM
i have ios 5 and photo bucket is not working either

mimisarah
09-20-12, 11:13 AM
Hello.....You can use www.youtube.com, and maps are still on my iPad

mimisarah
09-20-12, 11:16 AM

I LOVE IT TOO.....Nice to have Siri on my iPad :)

queentina3
09-20-12, 12:08 PM
My game center loads up find, but photobucket application will not pull up my photo list so I can choose a picture.

iphone 4

It came back. Not sure where it went, but I hope it had a GREAT time! LOL!!!

kooky panda
09-20-12, 12:19 PM
i have ios 5 and photo bucket is not working either

Oh good , not just me!!!

bigbux3
09-20-12, 03:30 PM
Hello.....You can use www.youtube.com, and maps are still on my iPad

YouTube finally works on Safari!

Google Maps is GONE. Apple Maps took over. Since I'm on iPod Touch 4g, I cant do a 3D Flyover view of cities.

mykelhizzy
09-20-12, 04:09 PM
Size difference is because if u download over wifi the update only downloads what's new vs everything. So that could be the reason for size difference. Their called delta updates I believe.

mykelhizzy
09-20-12, 04:11 PM
Sorry of that's a repost. Didn't feel like reading thru two pages to see if anyone said that. Hopefully I was the first. And if not. Pretend like I am :-)

Do u have to have your games transferred when u update to ios6 like what's happens if u break your device and have to get a new one??

Thanks

queentina3
09-20-12, 04:14 PM
Sorry of that's a repost. Didn't feel like reading thru two pages to see if anyone said that. Hopefully I was the first. And if not. Pretend like I am :-)

Do u have to have your games transferred when u update to ios6 like what's happens if u break your device and have to get a new one??

Thanks

No, since it's just a system update you don't have to transfer games. When you get a new device you're getting a new UDID, that is why you have to transfer as your Storm 8 ID is linked to your device UDID number.

bigbux3
09-20-12, 04:17 PM
Size difference is because if u download over wifi the update only downloads what's new vs everything. So that could be the reason for size difference. Their called delta updates I believe.

A delta update would be if they released iOS 6.01 or 6.1
This is a full redesign update.

queentina3
09-20-12, 04:26 PM
Yeah, the size thing threw me off. When I looked at my device it said what I stated, but when I looked at it on iTunes, after connecting to my computer, I got the same file size that bigbux posted. I've never noticed it give a different file size like that before, but I just downloaded it from my iTunes and moved right along.

bigbux3
09-20-12, 04:34 PM
Yeah, the size thing threw me off. When I looked at my device it said what I stated, but when I looked at it on iTunes, after connecting to my computer, I got the same file size that bigbux posted. I've never noticed it give a different file size like that before, but I just downloaded it from my iTunes and moved right along.

I did the same thing. I was deleting apps left and right on my device. I had over the amount I needed, but my iPod wouldn't let me update. So I plugged it into my laptop and it worked just fine.

mykelhizzy
09-21-12, 05:56 AM
Nope --- a delta update is as a described. If you do not agree read here:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_update#section_1

A delta update is on the requires the user to only download what's new or changed not everything.

Just as an FYI :-)

marrrina
09-21-12, 06:26 AM
I have iOS 6 on my iPhone 4. I do like that there's new interfaces on some of the apps such as weather, gmail, and your music. There are new emoji (formerly from the app Emoji 2) which is great, but for some lame reason anyone you use these emoji with not on iOS 6 can't see them. It does take up a lot of space though. My bf wanted to put it on his 8 GB iPod touch and decided it wasn't worth it upon getting the notification he doesn't have enough memory.

redbites
09-21-12, 02:40 PM
Never update to ios 6 on the iPod touch (4th gen) it slows it down so much :(

cast1532
09-21-12, 03:20 PM
Isn't the Flyover 3D for iPhone only?

bigbux3
09-21-12, 03:34 PM
Never update to ios 6 on the iPod touch (4th gen) it slows it down so much :(

It also crashes the App Store VERY frequently.

bigbux3
09-21-12, 03:35 PM
Isn't the Flyover 3D for iPhone only?

Yes. I was partly excited for Flyover... too bad it's only on iPhone and I think on The New iPad.

princessbella99
09-21-12, 05:36 PM
my app store says 'cannot connect with itunes store'??? and i cannot update on my ipod touch even before i updated to iOS 6! now i cannot download or update.. can someone help me?

princessbella99
09-21-12, 05:50 PM
my app store says 'cannot connect with itunes store'??? and i cannot update on my ipod touch even before i updated to iOS 6! now i cannot download or update.. can someone help me?

please help because now if i want to update my TL games, i have to sync it.

bigbux3
09-21-12, 10:15 PM
please help because now if i want to update my TL games, i have to sync it.

Your "symptoms" are strange. Did you plug your device into iTunes. Try re syncing it as well.

mattyboo1
09-22-12, 02:02 PM
I'm having issues with the App Store and my iPod is so slow

26peanut
09-22-12, 02:48 PM
I hated the YouTube app installed into iOS devices, but then YouTube never kept my history is Safari and after iOS 5, I could never open up YouTube in Safari. So now I like the default YouTube app. But now Apple hasn't renewed their license with Google, so Google Maps is gone and YouTube is gone in iOS 6.

The maps aren't gone 4 me and i got the update

sehana
09-22-12, 04:43 PM
I don't mind that youtube is gone since Google had come out with their Youtube app.
I would hate for maps to be gone though

I usually don't update until about 2 months has passed :/

bigbux3
09-22-12, 06:20 PM
The maps aren't gone 4 me and i got the update

GOOGLE Maps are gone.

bigbux3
09-24-12, 03:54 PM
Actually, one good thing, I think, now the Gem Purchase screen always pops up. Now I don't have to delete and reinstall my apps or reset my device.

sterlingempire
09-24-12, 06:24 PM
http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

bigbux3
09-24-12, 06:35 PM
http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

Thanks for this... I think.

mattyboo1
10-23-12, 04:27 PM
iOS is worth It except the App Store is slow

bigbux3
10-23-12, 04:28 PM
iOS is worth It except the App Store is slow

The App Store always force closes for me now. It's annoying. I can't search any apps.

mattyboo1
10-23-12, 04:33 PM
The App Store always force closes for me now. It's annoying. I can't search any apps.

I know I hate that