PDA

View Full Version : Adults vs Junior players?

pandabaybee
08-11-12, 04:37 AM
A dilemma - I'm an adult playing this game. Lots of neighbours are also adults. Recently some of them have been getting grief from teenagers saying that we oldies shouldn't be playing cos this is a kids game. I've had similar posts on my wall too.

This has led to some of my neighbours imposing a ban on under 18s at their hotel. I'm tempted to do the same but it seems unfair to delete some of my juniors who have been good neighbours, just because of the actions of others.

On the other hand is it appropriate for someone to be playing a game with someone else who is young enough to be their child?! My own kids (teenager and above) think I'm 'sad' for playing these sort of games.

Just this morning I explained to a would-be neighbour that my hotel was for over 18s but they were really hurt and upset that I wouldn't add them, so I gave in and sent an invite. I find it really hard to be tough!!!

So basically what I want to know is - do any of you think it's okay to have junior neighbours or should we stick to an adults-only policy?

soundthehorn
08-11-12, 05:24 AM
that's ridiculous. these games were made for everyone to play. i'm under 18 and i don't mind having adult neighbors.

thatgirl444
08-11-12, 02:55 PM
hmmm....how can you even tell who is an adult and who's a kid? I have no clue how old my neighbors are.

squilibob
08-12-12, 02:24 AM
Pandabaybee if adults can watch my little pony then you should have no problem playing these games and having young neighbours.

smiley326
08-12-12, 02:56 AM
that's ridiculous. these games were made for everyone to play. i'm under 18 and i don't mind having adult neighbors.

me too!! ^^
It'll be so nice to having adults neighbors ^^

Limaxa
08-12-12, 03:06 AM
I think 15+ nbrs are okay. I don't want to have Children nbrs but Teenies are okay.

TimeForACuppaTea
08-12-12, 03:44 AM
I'm also a mom (teens) and saw this same issue in Fashion last summer. I had neighbors plagued by this issue and many people started asking peoples age before considering adding them. I refused to tell my age to anyone in the games for fear I would be attacked in the same way as my neighbors. So I understand what you're dealing with.

I refused to allow this to effect my game. I have just as much right to play as anyone else does. More so in fact, since I bought my own iPod and I'll bet these kids didn't buy theirs. I don't know the age of most of my neighbors and I don't really care. A good neighbor is a good neighbor no matter how old or young they may be. Just like in real life I'm not going to refuse to be friendly with someone simply because they are young. Would you tell someone in real life that you can't talk to them or be friendly with them simply because they are under 18? Of course you wouldn't. I think the same goes for in the games. I treat each player as an individual just like I do in real life.

Sounds like you don't want to punish all for the actions of a few, and rightly so. It's not fair to those who have done nothing wrong. Obnoxious jerks come in all ages, races, sizes, and gender. It does not only afflict the young. I would encourage you to continue playing as you have been. Try not to let a few jerks ruin the game for everyone.

FYI this issue seemed to go away in Fashion once school started again. It seems these kids are bored and stirring up trouble in the game gives them some excitement. I have little doubt that these same kids are bullies in their schools and simply enjoy tormenting people. I would recommend that you/or your neighbors take photos of any harassing comments on your walls and contact support@teamlava.com. At the very least they may get a warning from Team Lava and that may be enough to get them to stop, or they could be banned depending on how bad they really are. Or just hope they go away once school starts back.

As for your kids thinking you're "sad" for playing these games. Well shame on them for not seeing how cool their mom is. I can only guess that you are around my age. And I've played video games with my kids since they were very little. I BRAG that I've been playing video/computer games since PONG. Yes, we did have a Pong game when I was young. Yes, I'm that old :p. And as a female I was a "female gamer" before it was "cool" :cool:. Ask your kids what hobbies they think you should have at your age? Do they think you should be knitting or making quilts or something? They should be thankful that their mom knows enough about technology to be able to use an iPod (or whatever you use). I know people who are practically clueless about this sort of thing. To me that is what's "sad". Ask your kids if they plan to totally stop playing video games and such when they get older? I don't think they will want to stop doing things they enjoy simply because they become a certain age. My kids friends think it's cool that I know almost as much about video games as they do. They say they wish their parents had a clue about games like I do. So I'm actually kind of shocked that your kids don't appreciate just how cool their mom is. :D They may appreciate it when they are older.

marrrina
08-12-12, 04:55 AM
I think it's kind of silly. I'm in my early 20s, and while in real life I wouldn't hang out with someone under 18 their presence on the game doesn't bother me. In fact I can hardly even tell which of my neighbors are under that age. It's easier for me to pinpoint adults because there tends to be talk of their own children/college exams/etc. on their walls.

The only thing that should matter when it comes to who your neighbors are is how neighborly they act. Even adults can be as immature as kids.

MiniLaura
08-12-12, 06:04 AM
People can play anyway they want. But no one has to play with anyone they don't like for any reason. Some players have "rules" for their neighbors. "Do this, don't do that, be over 18, be under 18." That's fine. If you want to have rules, go ahead. But don't be surprised if some people don't like your rules. Gather neighbors who play the way you do, and you'll be happy.

Furthermore, I don't think that TL target audience is children. Their target audience is adults with money. But they make the games appealing to kids for an added bonus group of players.

And as a female I was a "female gamer" before it was "cool" :cool:. Ask your kids what hobbies they think you should have at your age? Do they think you should be knitting or making quilts or something?

So you're saying that knitting and quilting aren't cool. At least you tried to defend people's choices and tried to stand up against insulting others.

pinkster73
08-12-12, 08:11 AM
People can play anyway they want. But no one has to play with anyone they don't like for any reason. Some players have "rules" for their neighbors. "Do this, don't do that, be over 18, be under 18." That's fine. If you want to have rules, go ahead. But don't be surprised if some people don't like your rules. Gather neighbors who play the way you do, and you'll be happy.

Furthermore, I don't think that TL target audience is children. Their target audience is adults with money. But they make the games appealing to kids for an added bonus group of players.

So you're saying that knitting and quilting aren't cool. At least you tried to defend people's choices and tried to stand up against insulting others.

So you're saying knitting and quilting ARE cool? :p

MiniLaura
08-12-12, 12:21 PM
I'm a knitter and I have many friends who knit and quilt. I think both activities are very cool.

I have won awards (with cash prizes) for my knitting, and my work has appeared in magazines and books. I have also worked as a tech editor for knitting patterns.

cast1532
08-12-12, 01:46 PM

I wish I knew how to knit. Is twenty four consider early twenties or mid twenties? lol

Kijame
08-12-12, 02:20 PM
Personally, I don't even do a check on my prospective neighbours. If they start to annoy me, I just delete them, if there would be any harassment, I'd report them to TL and then delete them.

I can't really speak from experience here as far as the bullying goes, but age has never mattered to me for anything I do online, save for specified adults-only locations, of course.
Then again, I reached level 50 on PHS yesterday, so I'm not sure how much attention I'll keep giving it. Expansions that cost 3+ days to complete before I can add even a single extra room sort of wittle away on my desire to to check on it every few hours :P

I might actually start focussing on Monster story. It's a shame with the expensive foods, but I like being part of a game from the very start. If only I could transfer my DS gold over there, my life would be perfect.

I digress though. Don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about the things you love. They have no right to dictate the way you spend your time. They'll see soon enough that acting like jerks won't win them a popularity contest.

MiniLaura
08-12-12, 03:58 PM

I wish I knew how to knit. Is twenty four consider early twenties or mid twenties? lol

You're never too young or too old to learn to knit. I have taught elementary kids to knit. I have taught grandmothers to knit. Heck, I've taught middle-aged men to knit.

Gabby Douglas even knits!
http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af319/MiniLaura/GabbyKnit.jpg

Rachael98
08-12-12, 05:54 PM
My sister started knitting at the age of 7; her motto "stitch one, drop three; go to mum for help".
I never quite grasped the concept, personally.
I did once make something for my cat though from just wool. A ball of wool:o.

Regarding the thread, the ToS say no under 13s (it used to be no under 14s).
I personally like doing it on mental age. If my 17 year old neighbour posts as immaturely as I'd expect a three year old to, then they're definitely out. A 13 year old behaving like a 20 year old is great, though.

pinkster73
08-12-12, 06:50 PM
I'm a knitter and I have many friends who knit and quilt. I think both activities are very cool.

I have won awards (with cash prizes) for my knitting, and my work has appeared in magazines and books. I have also worked as a tech editor for knitting patterns.

Knitting was a great help in my quest to quit smoking. I made half of a front of a vest and a quarter of a scarf and a few dishclothes. None appeared in magazines.

asics
08-15-12, 09:23 PM
i don't understand where age comes up in these games. I've been playing team lava games since I have had an iPhone in 09.
I think ppl should stop getting personal if this is a prob, collect your coins, add some neighbors and expand your business.

who has time to tease older ppl or ban younger. it's foolishness on both ends.

Elaine6139
08-15-12, 09:46 PM
Happened upon this forum and just loved your post. I am new (and addicted!) to the TeamLava games, but was in the computer industry for many years. Played the very first adventure game at the developers in Silicon Valley; played all the Quest games with my children, and Leisure Suit Larry when they were asleep. :o) And yes, paid a whopping (back then) $100 for Pong to surprise everyone for Christmas. My husband had seen it on an overseas trip and we just had to have it! I bet there are a lot more of "us" playing online games then the younger generation can even imagine. Oh, and now paying the Wii and XBox games with my grandchildren! Today's Grams and Grandpas aren't your parents' grandparents!! Now back to Bakery & Restaurant Story. LOL!

jay1314
08-15-12, 09:51 PM
Who cares as long as no one is being rude or inappropriate with their neighbors than what does it matter how old they are. I don't know how old most of my neighbors are and don't care. I'm also 19 and have been playing for a year

JDFashionEmail
11-23-12, 05:32 PM
The adult neighbors are sooooo kind to us teenagers/kids! I think to make up for them being that nice, we should at least let them play the games if they enjoy it. Also there isn't a rule on the TL games that adults over 18 can't play the games. Everyone from 1 - 100 year/s old is welcome to play!!

JDFashionEmail
11-23-12, 05:35 PM
Also, the TeanLava games are really fun, that I'm not surprised that people from various ages just can't help but play them. I have a lot of adult neighbors. They haven't bothered me one bit, and have been perfect neighbors!

PDAGuppies
11-24-12, 10:26 AM
me too!! ^^
It'll be so nice to having adults neighbors ^^

I know right?
I don't know if most of my neighbors are adults or not, but I don't really mind, considering me being under 18

Buggy1214
02-02-13, 06:38 PM
To me adult neighbors are good so that way the younger players can learn new things ;) I have a really awesome adult neighbor
Storm8 ID: Buggy1214

Buggy1214
02-02-13, 06:38 PM
This games for everyone of all ages!!!!!!!

Gauntlet1985
02-02-13, 07:30 PM
I'm an adult and I prefer adult neighbors with at least a level 60+ if I can help it. Nothing against younger players or much lower levels but I do find that it's the adults that stick with the game. Many kids play the game for a short time and then leave their bakery with
rotted food and never play again once they realize it starts to take time to level up or they just get bored.

As for rules for neighbors.... mine are simple. Be respectful don't sit back and expect endless tips and gifts to come your way just because I added you and you tipped me a few times. I tip and gift daily and although I realize that life is busy... I do expect daily gifts and at least
fairly regular tips. It's also why I don't keep a ton of neighbors because I like to take very good care of the ones I keep.