PDA

View Full Version : Big Problem with "collecting" monies from animals

Unregistered
11-12-10, 11:02 PM
Ever since I've been playing farm story, with all my animals in rows, I have been unable to "collect" properly with the animals. For example, I would tap on all the animals in a row, like you would with crops, however, with the animals, my tapping does not register on each animal. So when I tap all the animals in a row, number 1 gets collected, number 2 does not, number 3 gets collected, number 4 does not, and so on so forth. This is seriously annoying.

Unregistered
11-13-10, 05:23 AM
Ever since I've been playing farm story, with all my animals in rows, I have been unable to "collect" properly with the animals. For example, I would tap on all the animals in a row, like you would with crops, however, with the animals, my tapping does not register on each animal. So when I tap all the animals in a row, number 1 gets collected, number 2 does not, number 3 gets collected, number 4 does not, and so on so forth. This is seriously annoying.

This is because the game remembers harvest/collection requests per crop square, not per animal (which are smaller). So if there are 4 chickens (or two cows/sheep/pigs) on a square you must collect them one at a time: once you tap one animal you must wait until it is collected before you can collect another animal on the same square. You can work around this somewhat through careful placement of animals and using a different tapping strategy, but it is indeed irritating that they decided to make it work like this.

Unregistered
11-22-10, 06:15 PM
This is clearly a bug, not an intentional design decision.

Does Team Lava know about it? Do they have any intention of fixing it?

deadpix
11-23-10, 12:11 AM
This is clearly a bug, not an intentional design decision.

Does Team Lava know about it? Do they have any intention of fixing it?

No, this isn't a bug, it is a limitation caused by the original design of the game objects and fixing it isn't like slapping on grape jelly onto a square piece of peanut butter sandwich.

Unregistered
11-23-10, 12:22 AM
No, this isn't a bug, it is a limitation caused by the original design of the game objects and fixing it isn't like slapping on grape jelly onto a square piece of peanut butter sandwich.

In other words, it's not a code bug, but a design bug. It's still a bug. Nobody considered the interaction between two features (queuing clicks by square, and allowing multiple animals per square) when they were designing or testing the game, and it causes a serious flaw for the users. How is that not a bug?

Anyway, the fact that it's not a trivial fix doesn't mean you can just pretend it's not broken. It might be not worth fixing (although I don't think that's true in this case, I don't know the code), but that's not the same thing.

deadpix
11-23-10, 03:36 AM
In other words, it's not a code bug, but a design bug. It's still a bug. Nobody considered the interaction between two features (queuing clicks by square, and allowing multiple animals per square) when they were designing or testing the game, and it causes a serious flaw for the users. How is that not a bug?

Anyway, the fact that it's not a trivial fix doesn't mean you can just pretend it's not broken. It might be not worth fixing (although I don't think that's true in this case, I don't know the code), but that's not the same thing.

I believe this is more a case of the developers attempting to fit in a feature after the original objects had been designed and built, sort of like chipping of the edges of a square block to make it fit into a round hole; it goes in but doesn't fit properly. It may have originally been a design flaw but they've probably now considered it "fixed" with their current "workaround" that allows them to squeeze more animals onto a single plot.

Too bad for us users, cause as long as the issue does not crash the game or cause us to lose coins or gems, it won't be classified as being serious enough to require them to change their design. Come to think of it, considering all the issues they've been having with getting Restaurant Story right, do you seriously want them to attempt to fix what most view as a minor annoyance and instead possibly replace it with a major bug?

Unregistered
11-23-10, 03:52 AM
I believe this is more a case of the developers attempting to fit in a feature after the original objects had been designed and built, sort of like chipping of the edges of a square block to make it fit into a round hole; it goes in but doesn't fit properly. It may have originally been a design flaw but they've probably now considered it "fixed" with their current "workaround" that allows them to squeeze more animals onto a single plot.

Too bad for us users, cause as long as the issue does not crash the game or cause us to lose coins or gems, it won't be classified as being serious enough to require them to change their design. Come to think of it, considering all the issues they've been having with getting Restaurant Story right, do you seriously want them to attempt to fix what most view as a minor annoyance and instead possibly replace it with a major bug?

It's really not our job as users to guess how complicated each fix is and say "please don't fix this one because I think the effort would be better spent on the friend-list-refreshing bug" or whatever. We can report bugs, we can tell them how important each one is to us (which will be different for different users), but it's up to them to look at the code and at our feedback and prioritize accordingly.

That being said, I can't imagine myself quitting over this one (as I might over some others).

deadpix
11-23-10, 04:41 AM
That being said, I can't imagine myself quitting over this one (as I might over some others).

Yeah, I was initially frustrated caused I had quite a bit of livestock, and then I woke up and realized that the animals looked cute but weren't really contributing to the cash-flow in any big way, sooo...

Unregistered
11-23-10, 11:04 AM
Get over yourselves!! This is a FREE game and you get what you pay for. So you have to collect every other animal...deal with it and move on! I have what I consider a decent looking farm and have only spent $5 on gems, and that was only so I could rename my farm. Any other gems I've received have been earned the hard way by mastering crops and such. The choice to shell out bucks for gems is a personal one. YOU and the advertisers are the ones keeping TeamLava's pockets lined, which allows the game to continue to be offered for free. Thank you!! 

DoubleZ

Unregistered
11-24-10, 01:46 AM
Get over yourselves!! This is a FREE game and you get what you pay for. So you have to collect every other animal...deal with it and move on! I have what I consider a decent looking farm and have only spent $5 on gems, and that was only so I could rename my farm. Any other gems I've received have been earned the hard way by mastering crops and such. The choice to shell out bucks for gems is a personal one. YOU and the advertisers are the ones keeping TeamLava's pockets lined, which allows the game to continue to be offered for free. Thank you!! 

DoubleZ

Honestly, the problem here isn't that the game sucks, or none of us would be playing. The problem is that it's the best game in the genre (out of a dozen or more), but it's not perfect. Nothing is perfect, but we all want them to fix the handful of major annoyances that the game has, because there are no good alternatives among the competition.

Besides, as a coder myself, I can tell you that bug reports aren't unwanted whinings; they're the most important communication you get from your customers. That's why they have a sticky post asking us to tell them what doesn't work (or doesn't work as well as it could).