PDA

View Full Version : My advice on breeding - not the diamond

fluevogi
06-04-12, 07:28 PM
It seems that a lot of people have problem getting some of the rarer dragons like serpent or fairy or eagle or even midvolt.
Maybe I am totally off, but I just breed them based on looks, and never had to wait more then 1 max 2 tries for the dragon I wanted.
For example , when I first breed a air (yellow) and a forest (green) dragon, I got the fruitful, which is the common green-yellow one. I looked at the new dragon and I said it is mainly green with only a bit yellow. If I want a fairy , which Is a much more yellow than green, I should add more yellow to this mix. Instead of breeding the pure yellow and green again, I breed my existing yellow-green crossbreed with a pure yellow dragon. It worked immediately.
When I first breed a fire(red) and air(yellow) , I got the common cross of firestorm. Again I said this dragon mainly red, and only a bit yellowish. If I want to get the eagle, which is more yellow, I should add more yellow. So I did breed the existing common yellow-red dragon with a pure yellow. Voila I got the eagle right away. I did the same for midvolt : breed my existing yellow-blue (mist) with the pure yellow. I think I had to try maybe twice and I got what I wanted.
I am not sure it mattered, but each time when I did get the rare one, my pure yellow dragon was on the left.
To get serpent , I breed my existing green-blue (island) cross with the green one, to get the greener cross. This one took me maybe 3 times, but that sill not long.

So my advice : look at the color and try to see the crossbreeds as colors. Instead of breeding 2 pure color ones, breed one crossbreed with the pure color that you want to enhance in the offspring.

I was quite successful doing this.

Unfortunately getting diamond is a different story :( I am getting all kind of worthless common crossbreeds by trying.

debeers
06-05-12, 12:11 AM
Thank you, this is really interesting! I've been breeding pure colours and not coming up with many rare ones. I'll try this next time my breeding den is free :)

coolgamegirl27
06-05-12, 01:00 AM
Ah! This is a theory a few of us on another thread were trying. I got my Mindvolt using a high Air and low Mist. Then got an Eagle first try with high Air and low Fire, but when it came to Fairy I gave up after 5 fruitful. Just thought I would give the theory another go trying for a Planet, high Fire with low Charm, just breeding my third Charm...

fluevogi
06-05-12, 07:44 AM
I was trying for planet too. My second time of trying charm end fire gave me the red ****** egg, which i think is the planed. If not I have not seen this egg anyway, so it is cool.

As far as the fairy goes, I had much better success for breeding yellow combos, if I put the pure yellow dragon on the left. Also I try to put a higher level of he colour I want to enhance. Like try a lv 8 air with a lv 4 fruitful.

saintlover
06-05-12, 07:59 AM
Sorry but I think it's random. I tried the mist x eagle at least 10 times all yielding mist. Still no mindvolt and I have more charm drangs than you can shake a stick at. It's all luck and I have very little.

ankalagon
06-05-12, 08:11 AM
The human mind sees patterns where none exists. The only way to prove something like this would be with a large sample size showing better results against using just the current observations that levels/combinations do not matter. Also, it is a lot easier to code a simple method of (for example) 80% being common and 20% being rare instead of making special cases for hybrids and level differences... But it certainly does not hurt trying with different combinations and levels, as long as the colors are correct - so if this seems to work then stick with it :-)

I personally wish that TL actually used the dragon levels for breeding chances instead of just cosmetic details... Now there is no gameplay reason to raise any dragon past 4 (except doing the book quests). Maybe this will happen in a future update.

xoam0re
06-05-12, 08:17 AM
LOVE this theory!! totally going to try it when my breeding den is open!!

fluevogi
06-05-12, 08:28 AM
Sorry but I think it's random. I tried the mist x eagle at least 10 times all yielding mist. Still no mindvolt and I have more charm drangs than you can shake a stick at. It's all luck and I have very little.

Based on my theory you should breed mist with air to get a midvolt. I think breeding 2 crossbreeds will results much more random outcomes.

fluevogi
06-05-12, 08:30 AM
The human mind sees patterns where none exists. The only way to prove something like this would be with a large sample size showing better results against using just the current observations that levels/combinations do not matter. Also, it is a lot easier to code a simple method of (for example) 80% being common and 20% being rare instead of making special cases for hybrids and level differences... But it certainly does not hurt trying with different combinations and levels, as long as the colors are correct - so if this seems to work then stick with it :-)

I personally wish that TL actually used the dragon levels for breeding chances instead of just cosmetic details... Now there is no gameplay reason to raise any dragon past 4 (except doing the book quests). Maybe this will happen in a future update.
That is true. Nobody will prove or disproof anybody's theory on breeding. However, when somebody tried breeding pure colours half dozen times with no success, trying this can not hurt, can it? ;)

fluevogi
06-05-12, 08:09 PM
I just wanted to update that my theory seem to work again for Atlantis. Atlantis is a green/ blue rare dragon with more green then island has. So I breed a forest lv 7 left side with an island lv 6 right side, and breeding time is 15 hrs. This was my first time trying for Atlantis and the 15 hr seems to show that I got it right again. I. Only can be 100% at the morning, when I see the egg, but it is every promising.
I figured I may get serpent or Atlantis this way, and both rare . since i only have 1 serpent and no Atlantis either option was fine by me.

PrincessRose22
06-06-12, 02:19 AM
It seems that a lot of people have problem getting some of the rarer dragons like serpent or fairy or eagle or even midvolt.
Maybe I am totally off, but I just breed them based on looks, and never had to wait more then 1 max 2 tries for the dragon I wanted.
For example , when I first breed a air (yellow) and a forest (green) dragon, I got the fruitful, which is the common green-yellow one. I looked at the new dragon and I said it is mainly green with only a bit yellow. If I want a fairy , which Is a much more yellow than green, I should add more yellow to this mix. Instead of breeding the pure yellow and green again, I breed my existing yellow-green crossbreed with a pure yellow dragon. It worked immediately.
When I first breed a fire(red) and air(yellow) , I got the common cross of firestorm. Again I said this dragon mainly red, and only a bit yellowish. If I want to get the eagle, which is more yellow, I should add more yellow. So I did breed the existing common yellow-red dragon with a pure yellow. Voila I got the eagle right away. I did the same for midvolt : breed my existing yellow-blue (mist) with the pure yellow. I think I had to try maybe twice and I got what I wanted.
I am not sure it mattered, but each time when I did get the rare one, my pure yellow dragon was on the left.
To get serpent , I breed my existing green-blue (island) cross with the green one, to get the greener cross. This one took me maybe 3 times, but that sill not long.

So my advice : look at the color and try to see the crossbreeds as colors. Instead of breeding 2 pure color ones, breed one crossbreed with the pure color that you want to enhance in the offspring.

I was quite successful doing this.

Unfortunately getting diamond is a different story :( I am getting all kind of worthless common crossbreeds by trying.

I tried to get a fairy countless times with no results. I tried what you said, I bred a level 5 fruitful with level 6 air and I now have a fairy egg . I have a question is mind volt more water than air? So should I try mist with higher level water? Or mist with higher level sir?

PrincessRose22
06-06-12, 02:20 AM
I tried to get a fairy countless times with no results. I tried what you said, I bred a level 5 fruitful with level 6 air and I now have a fairy egg . I have a question is mind volt more water than air? So should I try mist with higher level water? Or mist with higher level sir? sorry meant air not sir.

yuimiko
06-06-12, 02:34 AM
thx for sharing, I will try it in my next breed.
Well, I also think that breeding higher level of pure elements is also promising.
I got my Fairy by breeding Epic Air plus Epic Forest on my third attempt. my first 2 attempts were on level 5 plus 6 and level 6 plus 7.
And for the mindvolt, I got it from Epic Firestorm plus Epic Island, my first breeding of these 2.
Glad that I got the luck!

daunguyen
06-06-12, 03:16 AM
Just want to say thank you. I kept getting island while I was trying for serpent. I did what you said, island and forest for serpent. And I got 16hours breeding at my second try. So I guest a Serpent is on the way now. Thanks,

fluevogi
06-06-12, 07:56 AM
I tried to get a fairy countless times with no results. I tried what you said, I bred a level 5 fruitful with level 6 air and I now have a fairy egg . I have a question is mind volt more water than air? So should I try mist with higher level water? Or mist with higher level sir?

Good for you! I am glad it worked. I got my midvolt with mist + higher air , and I usually like to put the air on the left side. However , now there is a seabreeze water+ air combo out there too. .So if you try mist+ air , ypou may get seabreeze instead of midvolt,but seabreeze also rare, so it can't hurt.

fluevogi
06-06-12, 07:58 AM
Just want to say thank you. I kept getting island while I was trying for serpent. I did what you said, island and forest for serpent. And I got 16hours breeding at my second try. So I guest a Serpent is on the way now. Thanks,

great! I think serpent is a had one.

PrincessRose22
06-06-12, 08:11 AM
Good for you! I am glad it worked. I got my midvolt with mist + higher air , and I usually like to put the air on the left side. However , now there is a seabreeze water+ air combo out there too. .So if you try mist+ air , ypou may get seabreeze instead of midvolt,but seabreeze also rare, so it can't hurt. your right I got sea breeze I'm still happy with that. I'll try again for a mindvolt. Thanks so much😃

fluevogi
06-06-12, 08:18 AM
great! I think serpent is a had one.

i meant hard one

daunguyen
06-06-12, 09:54 AM
i meant hard one

Yea. Many people must try many times for serpent. And it is more difficult because island needs 40hours to be breed and hatch.

rubyredrhum
06-06-12, 10:32 AM
Thank u for sharing. I will try this.

xmryalunx
06-06-12, 11:01 AM
i trying for eagle . breed w firestorm n pure yellow but i fail >.< can tell me which n which for eagle ?

fluevogi
06-06-12, 11:17 AM
i trying for eagle . breed w firestorm n pure yellow but i fail >.< can tell me which n which for eagle ?

I tried that way, air on the left, firestrorm on the right .

coolgamegirl27
06-06-12, 11:29 AM

I used Air10/Fire4 for Eagle :)

xmryalunx
06-06-12, 11:30 AM
yup my air is on the left firestorm on right but i got a 12 hours breeding time which is firestorm

Farmaniac
06-06-12, 12:06 PM
It may be pure coincidence, but I followed your advice and managed to breed an atlantis and a planet in a row! Thank you! I used epic dragons.

fluevogi
06-06-12, 12:14 PM
It may be pure coincidence, but I followed your advice and managed to breed an atlantis and a planet in a row! Thank you! I used epic dragons.
Great to hear! I know it does not work always, but I think it gets you the desired dragon much faster then breeding purebreeds.

PattyZhangp
06-06-12, 12:56 PM
It didn't work for me! I tried for fairy again with fruitful and yellow, but I got another fruitful again. :( This theory sounds great but I still think it's random

sunstorm01
06-06-12, 01:26 PM
Does anyone have wizard? I havnt seen it yet?

fluevogi
06-06-12, 02:04 PM
Does anyone have wizard? I havnt seen it yet?

No, it is not available yet. I just asked in the other thread, and the rumour is that maybe it will be available on Thursday. So my tomorrow breeding will be coral +water for sure.

take_note
06-06-12, 08:33 PM
You may be onto something. I decided to try fruitful + air and I think I have the fairy now. (It's still breeding) I have tried forrest + air and air + forrest 16 times. So either my luck has finally turned around or your method has a higher chance.

soundthehorn
06-06-12, 11:07 PM
i don't kno this is a pretty shaky theory. true, i did get a fairy from a fruitful + air(same levels), however the theory didn't work when i tried for an eagle. i was wondering did you mean red when you said the eagle was mostly yellow?

take_note
06-07-12, 06:59 AM
And apparently I'm not so lucky. #17 & 18 are both fruitful :(

kyliesimonton
06-07-12, 11:56 PM
This seems legit. I haven't missed in a single attempt yet! Breeding SeaBreeze with Water right now. Got a 22 hr wait time. Getting a Mindvolt!!!

Americanized
06-08-12, 09:05 AM
Guys,i bred fire and magic and it takes 16H,what do you except to be?

Americanized
06-08-12, 09:08 AM
AH,no forget I got charm ~_~

crystalrayn3
06-08-12, 10:39 AM
Charm dragons = grrrrrrrrrrrr

Limaxa
06-08-12, 10:47 AM
Pure colors are not good for breeding rare Dragons.. I got nearly 20-30 Island Dragons instead of Serpent ^^

maggieyyli
06-12-12, 12:57 AM
I have read this thread some times before I replied as I needed to run more trials to c if it works. And Now I can say it works for me!

Some statistics:
Pure x Pure breed:
3 firestorm vs 1 eagle successful rate: 25%
6 fruitful vs 1 fairy successful rate: 14.3%
2 Island vs 0 serpant successful rate: 0%
2 Life vs 0 wild successful rate: 0%

Pure x Hybrid breed:
1 Island x 1 serpant successful rate: 50%
1 Life x 1 wild successful rate: 50%
3 Charm x 1 Titan successful rate: 25%

Thanks for sharing!

pittapattabears
06-12-12, 04:22 PM
To get a diamond you cross a fruitful with a mist.

soundthehorn
06-12-12, 10:50 PM
just breed a sea breeze on my first try with lv 4 air and lv 4 water... luck?

soundthehorn
06-12-12, 10:52 PM
YES! just got a seabreeze w/ a lv 4 air + lv 4 water! and i got my eagle with a lv 4 firestorm + lv 4 air!