PDA

View Full Version : Is the stupid 'resetting' problem EVER going to be fixed?

primerib
05-25-12, 07:42 AM
There have been countless reports of people saying their game is reset all of a sudden. Often times it happens several times in a row. By reset I mean, the game is started, you serve the finished food, start cooking new food, and do whatever other random things -- then out of nowhere the game resets as if you just started it again. All the finished food you served is back, etc. It's as if you just started the game and all the work you just did never happened.

This has been been a long-term ongoing problem and is happening noticeably more with 1.5.1. Are there any plans to ever fix this or what? It's extremely annoying when you completely lose food due to this, especially food that takes a long time. Or by some magic the food suddenly expires/rots when it certainly shouldn't. Or you have to serve the food several times in a row before the game stops resetting itself.

jtm101
05-25-12, 07:51 AM
I think i can avoid this by tipping before and after i deal woth my ovens. This way i know i'm in sync with the server.

Or perhaps i am just lucky and deluding myself

pinkster73
05-25-12, 08:19 AM
I think i can avoid this by tipping before and after i deal woth my ovens. This way i know i'm in sync with the server.

Denial is powerful. :p

But I've read this syncs what you've done with the servers.

kooky panda
05-25-12, 10:42 AM

I agree here, once in a while I may get an out of sync, but that is when I come to the game and immediately start placing or putting food down. When you leave your game running , when you come back and open it, it will take a few seconds to sync(catch Up with) TLs servers.
When I come in, I x out of all pops including the message screen, then visit a neighbor and then I come back to prepare and serve my food.

primerib
05-25-12, 11:17 AM
Rather than trying to find workarounds, maybe TL should just learn how to fix the bug once and for all. Fix one of the long-standing bugs that people have been complaining about forever? I know, I know....I'm crazy for suggesting such a thing.

pinkster73
05-25-12, 11:57 AM
Rather than trying to find workarounds, maybe TL should just learn how to fix the bug once and for all. Fix one of the long-standing bugs that people have been complaining about forever? I know, I know....I'm crazy for suggesting such a thing.

Ha ha that's an absurd idea. Just fix it? Naaaa

driftboutique
05-25-12, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure it's a bug, though. This only ever happens to me if my Internet connection is lousy. If that's what's causing the sync errors, then it's out of TL's hands.

primerib
05-25-12, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure it's a bug, though. This only ever happens to me if my Internet connection is lousy. If that's what's causing the sync errors, then it's out of TL's hands.
It's definitely a bug. The problem happens when there's no internet problem at all, and other games that sync have no issues what-so-ever. The problem is poor/buggy code on TL's part. It might be easy to point the finger at players or the internet but the truth is even then their programmers should deal with things properly.

driftboutique
05-25-12, 05:18 PM
It's definitely a bug. The problem happens when there's no internet problem at all, and other games that sync have no issues what-so-ever. The problem is poor/buggy code on TL's part. It might be easy to point the finger at players or the internet but the truth is even then their programmers should deal with things properly.

Okay. It doesn't happen to me unless my Internet is shaky, like I said, but I guess I'm lucky somehow. I'm not sure I understand your lat sentence though -- if someone was trying to play without a reliable Internet connection, how do you feel that could be resolved programmatically?

pinkster73
05-25-12, 05:33 PM
Okay. It doesn't happen to me unless my Internet is shaky, like I said, but I guess I'm lucky somehow. I'm not sure I understand your lat sentence though -- if someone was trying to play without a reliable Internet connection, how do you feel that could be resolved programmatically?

I didn't read the last sentence as meaning that. I read it as its a bug being blamed on poor internet connection.

primerib
05-25-12, 11:23 PM
Yes, a bug that's being blamed on a poor internet connection, aside of the fact it happens regardless of the quality of the internet connection. Even in the event it was actually caused by a poor internet connection, you can still deal with it in a way where the bug is resolved the same way, for example, audio/video decoders made to deal with stream errors, lag, jitter, etc. The sync code should 1) disallow user input until a sync event has been completed, and 2) be designed in a way that the clients & servers have two way communication to establish the state of the event. When addressed properly this bug(s) would be completely eliminated. But yeah, it's easier to just point the finger of blame at someone/something else.

RoseMeyer
05-26-12, 05:27 AM

ah what do youknow. Its much much much better to release another 10 or 15 games that have the same bug. That way youre CONSISTENT.

driftboutique
05-26-12, 01:02 PM
Yes, a bug that's being blamed on a poor internet connection, aside of the fact it happens regardless of the quality of the internet connection. Even in the event it was actually caused by a poor internet connection, you can still deal with it in a way where the bug is resolved the same way, for example, audio/video decoders made to deal with stream errors, lag, jitter, etc. The sync code should 1) disallow user input until a sync event has been completed, and 2) be designed in a way that the clients & servers have two way communication to establish the state of the event. When addressed properly this bug(s) would be completely eliminated. But yeah, it's easier to just point the finger of blame at someone/something else.

Point taken.

I do think it would be more constructive to direct your frustration at TL than at other players, though.

trace35
05-26-12, 02:32 PM
Point taken.

I do think it would be more constructive to direct your frustration at TL than at other players, though.

I dont think that frustration was directed at you. We know where the problem lies an it's not with us or the connection. I have served and set food cooking for the night and in the morning the food I had served is sitting on the ovens spoiled! It only happens like this in rs. A connection problem would affect bs as well.

primerib
05-26-12, 10:53 PM
Yeah it wasn't directed at any players. Sorry if it seemed that way.