PDA

View Full Version : Tips and Strategies for Dragon Story - Earning Coin and Gifting

shawa13
05-22-12, 05:34 PM
Dragon Story brings some new strategies to the old hands at Story games. I'm not going to talk about breeding eggs because other people are doing a better job of it. Here's the things that I didn't know and wish I had when I was starting:

Tip#1. Nothing seems to expire - not food or hatching eggs or evolving dragons. I could be wrong, but others have mentioned it in the forums, too.

Tip#2. You can only gift 3 gold a day. If you send gold to all your neighbors, the game picks only 3 to send it to. Better to pick yourself who you want to send gold to.

Tip #3. The fastest way to earn coin is to visit other players and have them visit you. But the strategy is different from the other Story games I have played, because there is a game-limited number of habitats to play. This means that most of the people you visit will be full (their dragons are tired). Leaving a message lmkwc (let me know when clear) is a waste of time, because once the person clears, it will probably be full again within a minute or two. Even writing on the wall that someone is full is a waste of time, IMO, because I know it, and there isn't much I can do about it when I'm not playing. I do have a life and a job, after all. :)

I found this VERY frustrating for the first few days, but this is what I have worked out to deal with it:

a) Keep the maximum number of habitats for your level with at least 1 dragon so people can tip. You can get the maximum number of habitats from the Menu -> Overview -> Profile.
b) Get a LOT of neighbors, so you have a convenient list of links to run down to visit. You get coins or xp for every visit, so you are advancing in the game by visiting neighbors instead of using the Community list.
c) visit EVERY neighbor as quickly as you want to play. It's still early in the game, but I am averaging 4-5 visits to get one place I can tip -- and sometimes it only has 1 dragon available. I only post a message when I play with a dragon (unless I am chatting for fun). For now, I am including my ID in each post, so that people invite me. I'm sure I will hit a limit of neighbors I want, but I was able to visit 250 neighbors in 90 minutes today. [Note: I don't do this in other Story games. I have a small list of neighbors, so it took a while for me to figure this out.]
d) keep going Home every 4-5 visits to clear your own habitats. If you are visiting a lot of people, you will be appearing on the Community list (especially as your social Egg ranking increases) so people will be filling your habitats with money every couple minutes. This adds up to a LOT of coins very fast!!
e) I have been farming 3 minute Buffbeets while I am visiting, so I get a lot of food very quickly and cheaply too. I plant the food, clear the habitats and go back to the social list. I visit 4-5 people then go back Home, harvest the food, plant new food, clear the habitats and go back to the social list.

[Disclaimer: I don't work for teamlava and I have been playing for 4 days now. I will update as I discover new information]

driftboutique
05-22-12, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I've been doing a lot of these things, but you have an interesting idea about bulking up on neighbors -- I think I'll have to give that a try :)

One other thing I do is I try to take a "pay it forward" approach to visiting instead of a "tip me and I'll tip you" approach. If people visit me, I give them 1-2 tries and if I can't get through, I delete their wall post and try to play at another island. Otherwise I would get an unmanageable backlog of unreturned visits. I still visit enough neighbors to keep 4 eggs, but they are not necessarily the same people who played with my dragons.

shawa13
05-23-12, 08:27 PM
I have been successful at ignoring the tip you/tip me system. I'm doing that for gifting. I just run through my whole list of neighbors once. If they are clear, great! Otherwise I keep moving. Tonight I visited 307 neighbors in less than 2 hours, had some fun with it, leveled on the xp, and earned 47,000 coins. It's working for me!

kooky panda
05-23-12, 08:31 PM
I run through all my nbrs(I do not post on walls), then if someone sends gold or map request, post on my wall or show up in my newsfeed, I will check them again.

greygull
05-23-12, 08:55 PM
I run through all my nbrs(I do not post on walls), then if someone sends gold or map request, post on my wall or show up in my newsfeed, I will check them again.

Liar lol! You post on my wall almost every day, because I'm not awake when you come around ;)
Or does that just make me special?

Great advice!

kooky panda
05-23-12, 08:57 PM
Liar lol! You post on my wall almost every day, because I'm not awake when you come around ;)
Or does that just make me special?

Great advice!
you are special.:p

I do have like 3 ppl I do post on their walls and I will post if I need to tell them something.
I do the same in Pet Hotel.

viviansmo
05-23-12, 09:18 PM
Lol... I only post on people's walls when I feel like it. It could be because I know them from here, i like their name, or i like what they posted. How's that for strategy, or lack thereof?

PinkStarbelly
05-23-12, 09:19 PM
Although many people dislike the fact that it's hard to find dragons to play with because of the limited habitats, I think we'll be happier if we adapt and try to find an efficient system that works with the circumstances. The beauty of this game is that we at least can keep track of every single person that played with our dragons by looking in the newsfeed while in other TL games, silent tippers can be hard to catch. I use my newsfeed to repay the plays with my dragons instead of my wall. It's quicker that way. There's a lot of active players visiting each other after midnight PST when the game day resets. I'll repay everyone that visit me and I'd also take the opportunity to check their walls to check for others that just them. I'll do that for a while until I feel that I covered most people in the active playing jungle :) It's really efficient :D

dri2011
05-24-12, 06:24 AM
Hey, I like this thread! Those are good strategies. I also figured I can't use the same strategies I do in other Lava games... :)

Blownapart
05-24-12, 06:59 AM
I do as the OP does, exactly..! I started playing on Saturday last week. I have around 500 neighbours now, that I visit everyday. Each time I play, I post on their wall.

In addition to the OP's post, I'd like to add the following:

1). Having lots of neighbours, especially in the beginning stages of the game when not everyone has a lot of neighbours, increases your chances of receiving gold. I regularly receive 20-30 gold per day. I give my 3 gold to my lowest level neighbours, a) to help them out, and b) to have a higher chance of getting gold in return.

2). As well as visiting my neighbours, I visit the community and leave my code everywhere when I've played with a new person's dragon. This increases the likelihood of getting new players adding me as neighbour, thus increasing my chances of receiving gold. I aim for low level players with maybe one or two eggs. (shows commitment to the game)

3). When I return home after visiting 3-4 neighbours to clear my dragons as described above by the OP, I also check my newsfeed and visit the players who played with my dragons. Again, I leave a message. This is because currently-active-players tend to be visited by currently-active-players as well, thus my comment is likely to be seen and followed and have my dragons played with again.

4). I also use the 3 min food, as in one hour you can get 400 food from that, rather than 100 from the 1 hr food. Or more simply put: of you can manage to plant and harvest the 3 min food 6 x per hour, you are better off. Then when I know I'm going to sign off for a while, I choose the most appropriate food.

I've been playing the game pretty hardcore, which cannot continue. (I have a job and family, after all!). But I am going to keep going until I have at least one of every dragon in epic form. I haven't bought gold and I don't plan to.

Purplum
05-24-12, 11:40 AM
I kinda did this strategy with Pet Hotel - Adding anyone and everyone I came across until I had a gazillion neighbors. It worked well in the beginning for leveling, making money, receiving gold, etc. but as I had less and less time to play (ie, I hit '30' so I didn't care about xp anymore) and pretty much everyone had settled into gold buddies, having that many neighbors was more of a burden than a good thing. I don't like having so many neighbors that I don't recognize their names as being my neighbors. I tried to fix it in Pet Hotel by removing all my non-tipping neighbors (zero & 1 star) but it was too late so I ended up quitting that game.

So in Dragon Story I'm trying a different strategy. I still have what I consider 'way too many' neighbors, but it's no where near a gazillion, lol. I'm able to visit them all most days and leave fun messages on their walls when I do. I'm resisting the 'gold buddy' system by including everyone who visits me, gifts me (that day or any preceding one still showing up in my 'gift back' list, or just asks for a map (since that tells me they're actively playing) in my random gold gift list.

Blownapart
05-24-12, 12:54 PM
Right - I've now learnt that there is a max gold that can be received: 20. I think the counter returns to zero at 9 am CET, which I believe makes it midnight California time, which makes sense. I spent all my gold this morning before 9, and I still only have 20.

Which means there is a limit to the efforts I need to make regarding my neighbours. I think I'll stop leaving my code around until I drop under 20 gold per day.

CampingTime
05-24-12, 01:09 PM
I use most of the same techniques as the OP, but I taking a different tactic than not leaving a post when a farm is full. I leave a quick post of 0. Now, I completely agree with the OP's reasoning for not doing that, but I have found that many players are following people's walls for playing with new dragons, so by putting my farm out there where it can be seen, I believe I am getting more traffic.

It appears to be working, so...

shawa13
05-25-12, 01:51 PM
I use most of the same techniques as the OP, but I taking a different tactic than not leaving a post when a farm is full. I leave a quick post of 0. Now, I completely agree with the OP's reasoning for not doing that, but I have found that many players are following people's walls for playing with new dragons, so by putting my farm out there where it can be seen, I believe I am getting more traffic.

It appears to be working, so...

I like that idea -- staying hooked into the network of active players in the moment is an excellent strategy that I wasn't thinking about when I first wrote this. I still like visiting the neighbors to get the xp and coins, but when I get frustrated with the page loads to full islands, the active network is a great break, and as you say, it feeds more people into my island.

q1qq
06-16-12, 10:30 AM
Here's one other tip for finding islands with dragons ready for playing: go to the Community list and go all the way to the bottom of the page. Click on anyone near the bottom who is at least level 10 (below that and they probably only have very few habitats). I estimate that I get to play with dragons on 3 out of 4 islands at the bottom of the list. Also, every 2nd or 3rd time I return to the Community list it refreshes, so there are new islands at the bottom of the list.

squilibob
06-16-12, 02:04 PM
You can get the maximum number of habitats from the Menu -> Overview -> Profile.
You can go straight to Your profile by tapping Your purple experience bar.

I only post a message when I play with a dragon (unless I am chatting for fun). For now, I am including my ID in each post, so that people invite me.
For anyone who types out their id in full everytime, I have a thread that guides you on how to make shortcuts:
http://forums.teamlava.com/showthread.php?29787-SHORTCUT-Guide-to-leaving-messages-on-walls-quickly

shewar
12-19-12, 09:48 AM
I was not aware that only 3 people could be sent gold until reading this (this morning) I had thought that there was either a problem or my time zone clashed with my neighbours as to why they were not receiving the gold.

So does this mean in effect that only 3 neighbours can be gifted each day? If so are they any other gifts that can be sent to your neighbours like you can in the other games if they cannot receive gold in the game?

nikky2012
12-19-12, 09:58 AM
I was not aware that only 3 people could be sent gold until reading this (this morning) I had thought that there was either a problem or my time zone clashed with my neighbours as to why they were not receiving the gold.

So does this mean in effect that only 3 neighbours can be gifted each day? If so are they any other gifts that can be sent to your neighbours like you can in the other games if they cannot receive gold in the game?

Yes, we can only send three gold a day. And so far, there isn't anything else we can gift. I just rotate who I send gold to. I have two nbrs that send to me everyday and one extra to rotate to random nbrs who gift me.

shewar
12-19-12, 10:03 AM
Yes, we can only send three gold a day. And so far, there isn't anything else we can gift. I just rotate who I send gold to. I have two nbrs that send to me everyday and one extra to rotate to random nbrs who gift me.

Thanks I will then have to then relook at how I distribute when sending gold.

anurulz
02-08-13, 07:04 AM
i had no idea only 3 neightbours cud be gifted...i was windering why most of my neighbours were not receiving the gifts...i gues will have to sort out to whom i shud gift now...what is the point of having many neighbours if we cant gift them???i gues the coins make up for this..

vma240155
04-05-13, 10:30 AM
Can you help me? I'm just starting, i have a dragon in the nest, also have the coins to buy his habitat, but i can't buy it.your help will be very apreciated.my storm8 Id is vma240155

kg18pisces
06-20-13, 04:14 PM
What about focusing on breeding dragons with the biggest coin payout? Anyone have a last of the top 20 producers or so?

DragonmasterC99
06-20-13, 04:37 PM
Wow! All of these tips are really neat! They will surely help evryone out.

belbar22
06-20-13, 04:54 PM
i had no idea only 3 neightbours cud be gifted...i was windering why most of my neighbours were not receiving the gifts...i gues will have to sort out to whom i shud gift now...what is the point of having many neighbours if we cant gift them???i gues the coins make up for this..

You need the neighbours for requesting maps as you move through the higher levels

Miviko2
07-19-13, 06:14 AM
I'm not really liking the game. I downloaded it to give it a try, but all of these restrictions that you're mentioning are making it really hard to play. Visually, it's lovely, but I don't have the time, or the inclination to spend this kind of effort playing it.

Gypsy_Cat
08-06-13, 10:12 AM
My two cents:

Make sure all of your habitats are upgraded to their max potential. Also, breed as many of your dragons to max level. Whenever possible, have your game open so that you can hit 'Collect' as often as you can. I leave mine open on my desk while at work.

lotsahelp
08-13-13, 05:36 PM
Do you have list on max money each habitat can earn? I am trying to place mixed dragons accordingly.

kwhales
08-14-13, 02:56 AM
Do you have list on max money each habitat can earn? I am trying to place mixed dragons accordingly.

Click on the habitat. Then click on info. It should say what the max earning is for the habitat.

rambrose0378
12-05-13, 08:18 AM
This is probably not the right place for this question but I can not find the answer. So forgive me if I'm disrupting anything ...... what are the rules to girting gold? How many can you send a day and what is the limit you can receive?

belbar22
12-05-13, 09:53 AM
This is probably not the right place for this question but I can not find the answer. So forgive me if I'm disrupting anything ...... what are the rules to girting gold? How many can you send a day and what is the limit you can receive?

You can send 3 and receive up to 20.

rambrose0378
12-05-13, 10:58 AM
You can send 3 and receive up to 20.

Thank you. I was wondering because I have many neighbors but only get 2 a day :(

freshfunin2008
12-05-13, 02:56 PM
Any ideas on what to do with millions of silver coins when you can't trade it for gold? I can't spend it fast enough. Thanks

belbar22
12-05-13, 03:05 PM
Any ideas on what to do with millions of silver coins when you can't trade it for gold? I can't spend it fast enough. Thanks

No. I have 170 million. I could spend them in the ice isles but I find it quite boring there. At least I do t have to worry about running out. LOL

freshfunin2008
12-05-13, 09:52 PM
No. I have 170 million. I could spend them in the ice isles but I find it quite boring there. At least I do t have to worry about running out. LOL

Thanks. We should be able to buy gold with it.

AmaDrac
12-08-13, 10:46 AM
Trying to be as fair a possible, I've been keeping a written list of islands that have given me gold & the date. I am currently over two months behind in repayment. I feel as though I'll never catch up. When I accept new neighbors now, I ask them NOT to give me gold. Many times they give me gold anyway. My question is, if I refuse the gold, will they get it back so they can give it to another neighbor or is it just gone?

jim23cash
12-11-13, 01:07 AM
Trying to be as fair a possible, I've been keeping a written list of islands that have given me gold & the date. I am currently over two months behind in repayment. I feel as though I'll never catch up. When I accept new neighbors now, I ask them NOT to give me gold. Many times they give me gold anyway. My question is, if I refuse the gold, will they get it back so they can give it to another neighbor or is it just gone?

My understanding is that if you refuse a gift, it just disappears, and your neighbor gets no notification. So they think you received a gift from them, and might expect a gift in return.

Cloeyspets
12-16-13, 12:53 AM
How do you go through so many neighbors so fast? I only have 85 and I never get through them all. I try to post on all that I tip, and try to visit people.of of the different walls, but it seems to take forever. I do pretty good with the earnings, I usually make 100,000 - 200,000 a day.

I have been successful at ignoring the tip you/tip me system. I'm doing that for gifting. I just run through my whole list of neighbors once. If they are clear, great! Otherwise I keep moving. Tonight I visited 307 neighbors in less than 2 hours, had some fun with it, leveled on the xp, and earned 47,000 coins. It's working for me!

filipina1983
12-16-13, 04:30 PM
Wow 500 neighbors? That's a lot lol I visit all my neighbors and I only have 50, and keep the three to four star players because I know they are a daily player and clear their islands and visit me back. I usually delete the inactive ones and find new ones.

Wildwitch35
01-07-14, 11:09 AM
I need to know how to use my gold gifts and where they go after they are accepted...I have not been able to find them in my profile or new messages area. thanks

kooky panda
01-07-14, 11:21 AM
I need to know how to use my gold gifts and where they go after they are accepted...I have not been able to find them in my profile or new messages area. thanks
When you accept gold from neighbors, it will be added to your total goal shown at the top of you screen. Right by the gold bar.

kerriescastro
03-30-14, 02:16 PM
...... what are the rules to girting gold? How many can you send a day and what is the limit you can receive?

See TeamLava's Guide to Gifting (http://blog.teamlava.com/post/25542981207/teamlavas-guide-to-gifting)
Which confirms the gifting limits of sending 3 Gold per day and receiving 20 Gold per day, and which confirms the limit of receiving 20 'Mystic Maps' per day, and finally, that the 'Gifting Counter' resets at 12:00am Pacific Time every day.

Also, after a little research, I believe the maximum number of Mystic Maps you can receive per day is 21 (1 from Stormie's Park & 20 from other neighbors).
Refer: Is there a limit on Mystic Maps? (http://forum.storm8.com/showthread.php?57294-Is-there-a-limit-on-Mystic-Maps)
I can confirm that I usually receive 21 Mystic Maps per day.

Spideygurl93
04-28-14, 01:14 PM
Personally, I'm no pro or anything, but one thing i was wanting to add was.... If someone that isn't your neighbor (i know it could be hard to keep track when you begin to have quite a few, but worth a try!) plays with your dragons for you, def be sure to go back to their island and return the favor. be sure to comment at least your ID on their wall. i've gotten at least half my neighbors or more that way! i go thru everyday and play with all my nbrs dragons and then i go back thru my news feed to find any that aren't my nbrs and treat em as if they are! i leave my ID on everyone's wall now also and i think that's all helping quite a bit. jus my two cents... for now.. until i learn my useful things! :P ~~ Spideygurl93 (:

MynesDinner
12-18-14, 09:40 PM
I have had an suspicion for awhile now but just the other morning checked and found that of the three bars of gold I accepted from my neighbors I received only one. Is this a bug?

droopy123love
12-20-14, 08:27 AM
I am at lvl 150, sitting at nearly 380 million coins, so i dont bother the coins of my visitors as i cannot spent it anyway.
If you're up in levels, i.m.o. the biggest gift you can get or give, aren't coins, maps or goldbars, but KNOWLAGE.
I always will share breedcombo's with nbrs/visitors and arenatactics.
Getting a tip that brings u a nice dragon, like a limited edition or a diamond(hybrid) or strategytips on how to act in events, brings you more in the long run compares to coins or an extra goldbar.
A good tip that brings down that dragon during a tournament, can be the difference between getting the tournamentprize or not!

That's why I say, knowlage is for me toppriority in this game.

LonePudding
12-20-14, 03:00 PM
I am at lvl 150, sitting at nearly 380 million coins, so i dont bother the coins of my visitors as i cannot spent it anyway.
If you're up in levels, i.m.o. the biggest gift you can get or give, aren't coins, maps or goldbars, but KNOWLAGE.
Getting a tip that brings u a nice dragon, like a limited edition or a diamond(hybrid) or strategytips on how to act in events, brings you more in the long run compares to coins or an extra goldbar.
A good tip that brings down that dragon during a tournament, can be the difference between getting the tournamentprize or not!

Hey, I need all the help I can get right now! I've added you - I'm dragon forest!

toothless19024
12-20-14, 04:21 PM
Do you now how to give more than 1 block of gold to people or can you just trade dragons to somebody please answer because if you can a dragon to someone I will need them to trade me a Nightstalker.

PernReloaded
12-20-14, 10:42 PM
Do you now how to give more than 1 block of gold to people or can you just trade dragons to somebody please answer because if you can a dragon to someone I will need them to trade me a Nightstalker.

You cannot give more than one gold to another player in a day, though you can gift to three different people. You also cannot trade dragons - you'll have to breed the Nightstalker yourself.

ghostiemom
12-21-14, 09:25 AM
I rotate through my neighbors and give gold every day, but I cannot visit anymore, my game crashes if I visit any island near level 100. :(

Natasha_07
12-21-14, 10:25 AM

I used to visit one of my neighbors often because she would put combos for all her dragons on her wall when she got a new one, but since my crashing got bad last year, I haven't visited since. I just do random breeding sometimes to get something new.

Snowkat27
04-28-15, 08:41 PM
I know this is a silly question but it is frustrating. Everytime I type on someones wall it will only let me type a few words but I see that others are able to type more. Is there some trick I'm missing??

Dcdonn
04-28-15, 11:22 PM
9 mercurys ?!? What combo are you using ?? And how do I add you as a neighbor ?
Thx! I'm dcdonn ;-)