PDA

View Full Version : Why do neighbors gift chickens and apple trees?

cakeandpie
05-01-12, 02:40 PM
Why would my neighbors gift chickens and apple trees (or any other item besides dog bowls or parts)? These are not beginners. They are on high enough levels that thy have been playing for some time. And I've even requested dog bowls only because they are worth 400 coins and apple trees and brown chickens are worth only 10. To still keep sending them feels like an insult to me. What reason could anyone have for sending me apple trees multiple times even after I have explained?? Why would you send a neighbor a gift worth one FORTIETH of what the best gift is worth?

Soon I think I am going to post to these people that I will be deleting neighbors who keep sending the least valuable gifts.

sweetstuff525
05-01-12, 02:45 PM
Yeah I have a neighbor who always send me apple trees

kooky panda
05-01-12, 02:46 PM
I got the brown chicken today from a high level player, so I sent one right back over. lol

DerGelbeKaiser
05-01-12, 04:31 PM
I guess some people are just bored with sending the same thing over and over and over. *shrug* I prefer tool shed parts to anything else, but I don't really mind
These are virtual coins, there isn't really any 'value' - and it is just a game.

viviansmo
05-01-12, 04:35 PM
lol... I think I may start seriously requesting brown chickens. I do not need dog bowls. I do not want tool shed parts. Most of my neighbors know that I don't care what they send me since I just accept it all and leave it in inventory -- and the only reason to gift me is to get rid of me on the gifting section of the news feed since I do almost always gift back.

So, looking through my inventory, of all the giftable items available, brown chickens are what I have the least of. Not that I need or want them either, but it would be a nice change and could annoy people in a most satisfying way. heh. Yes, sometimes I'm just... bad.

MiniLaura
05-01-12, 04:44 PM
Honestly, I don't care what people send to me. At least they are sending something. It's a gift!

If you don't want something, just reject it and move on.

pinkster73
05-01-12, 05:29 PM
Just send them back wooden crates.

DAmanding
05-01-12, 05:36 PM
What, if anything, are wooden crates used for?

viviansmo
05-01-12, 05:42 PM

actually, they're good for creating 3-D designs, kind of like benches but not as versatile as hay bales.

pinkster73
05-01-12, 05:42 PM

Decoration, and for sending to people who gift chickens :p

viviansmo
05-01-12, 05:43 PM
not that I could make a decent 3-D design to save my life. but I've seen others use them. :)

pinkster73
05-01-12, 05:45 PM
not that I could make a decent 3-D design to save my life. but I've seen others use them. :)

Me neither. Tried it once. Fail.

nmishii
05-01-12, 06:12 PM
I got a red roof shingle the other day. Its for the schoolhouse that I already built a long time ago. I think that's a worse gift than a chicken or apple tree. It was from someone who has been my neighbor for over a year but seldom plays now.

I declined the shingle but didn't get a replacement gift. This was when I first started noticing that I get 20 gifts and no more regardless of if I decline or accept. So it was a lost gift.

ariesblu
05-01-12, 07:30 PM
If it really bothers you, and they choose to ignore your request than you can delete them. There are posts on the forum asking for neighbors who only send material parts, and you can create one for farm if there isn't one already.

TurtlePie
05-01-12, 09:17 PM
Oh gosh...I just started playing and am still getting the hang of it. What do people prefer to receive as gifts?

Also, please ADD ME: TurtlePie

I need neighbors! Thanks!!

TimeForACuppaTea
05-01-12, 09:34 PM
I added a neighbor a few months ago that is around level 50 but asked me to send trees. Couldn't imagine why but I did send them, for a while. Now I send parts since they build sheds too.

I have a long time nbr that for some reason decided she wants random parts of all kinds. She doesn't build sheds she just wants parts. I haven't asked but I'm guessing she's stockpiling for the next buildable item so she doesn't have to wait for the parts she needs.

Everyone is a bit different. Best bet is to find people who play the same way you do so you both get what you want.

I'm not adding, don't send invite.

pinkster73
05-01-12, 09:52 PM
Oh gosh...I just started playing and am still getting the hang of it. What do people prefer to receive as gifts?

Also, please ADD ME: TurtlePie

I need neighbors! Thanks!!

People want dog bowls because they sell for 400 coins, or tool shed parts. People build them to get 1100 xp.

DerGelbeKaiser
05-02-12, 03:43 AM
Me neither. Tried it once. Fail.

It once took me a whole afternoon to build a tiny three tier hill. I was screaming with frustration because I couldn't see the {} things under my fat fingers as I was moving them.
But I was very proud of it when it was finished and it did hurt to dissemble it when I started power planting (not that I'm planting much at the mo - my gmae is so slow at times, i just don'T have the patience)

RoseMeyer
05-02-12, 04:41 AM
I hate it when people water in straight lines! I demand crazy watering!!!!!!

MiniLaura
05-02-12, 05:52 AM

Me, too! Only crazy watering or hearts. I wish I could tell who was watering in straight lines so that I could go to their farms and water in straight lines just to show them a thing or two.

pinkster73
05-02-12, 06:30 AM
Me, too! Only crazy watering or hearts. I wish I could tell who was watering in straight lines so that I could go to their farms and water in straight lines just to show them a thing or two.

That'll teach 'em! Only hearts!

Classic70
05-02-12, 08:26 AM

Yes! I did just that. I had a neighbour who kept sending me chickens, so I posted her to explain how you can sell dogbowls for 400 (worth 8 brown chickens). The next day, she sends me another chicken. So the days after that I sent her crates. Now she doesn't water or gift me anymore! It's a strange world...

pinkster73
05-02-12, 08:44 AM
Yes! I did just that. I had a neighbour who kept sending me chickens, so I posted her to explain how you can sell dogbowls for 400 (worth 8 brown chickens). The next day, she sends me another chicken. So the days after that I sent her crates. Now she doesn't water or gift me anymore! It's a strange world...

Now start sending dog bowls. Fresh start.

Classic70
05-02-12, 08:46 AM
Now start sending dog bowls. Fresh start.

I'll try that. Fingers crossed. Apart from the chickens she was a good neighbour...

RoseMeyer
05-02-12, 09:15 AM
Actually, I think everybody must PLANT in heart designs as well. To make it easieer to WATER in heart designs.

pinkster73
05-02-12, 09:20 AM
Or zig zag patterns.

atlantisonearth
05-02-12, 09:35 AM
Why would my neighbors gift chickens and apple trees (or any other item besides dog bowls or parts)? These are not beginners. They are on high enough levels that thy have been playing for some time. And I've even requested dog bowls only because they are worth 400 coins and apple trees and brown chickens are worth only 10. To still keep sending them feels like an insult to me. What reason could anyone have for sending me apple trees multiple times even after I have explained?? Why would you send a neighbor a gift worth one FORTIETH of what the best gift is worth?

Soon I think I am going to post to these people that I will be deleting neighbors who keep sending the least valuable gifts.

A gift's value is not how much money it is worth, but the intent of gifting it to you. They aren't required to give you a gift, so be thankful that they do.

Something else -- Chickens and Apple Trees are risk-free investments -- so if you were to judge the gift based on money, in the long run, those two would win.

RoseMeyer
05-02-12, 09:40 AM
" risk-free investments"

:)

Somebody needs to do a present-value analysis on the value of the cash flow from trees and chickens over time at projected discount rate offset by the opportunity cost of not being able to plant coffee on those squares into perpetuity

and compare it to 400 clams in the hand right now.

atlantisonearth
05-02-12, 09:42 AM
" risk-free investments"

Somebody needs to do a present-value analysis on the value of the cash flow from trees and chickens over time at projected discount rate offset by the opportunity cost of not being able to plant coffee on those squares into perpetuity

That all depends on the amount of neighbors you have...

Either way, I dont see how it would be an "insult" for someone to send you a gift. If someone gave me an apple tree in real life, I would be happy...

atlantisonearth
05-02-12, 09:49 AM
" risk-free investments"

Somebody needs to do a present-value analysis on the value of the cash flow from the empty and potentially inhabitable space needed to place and sell dog bowls over time at a projected discount rate offset by the opportunity cost of not being able to plant coffee on those squares into perpetuity...

...and compare it to investing in an apple tree (and whatever you said RM). Dog bowls are good for quick cash, while apple trees help you in the long run. If you were looking for quick cash by selling dog bowls, then I wouldn't call whatever chunk of land you are doing that on a farm.

RoseMeyer
05-02-12, 10:07 AM
Ah, but the empty spaces to see dog bowls can be temporary, snuck in between coffee crops.

atlantisonearth
05-02-12, 10:10 AM
Ah, but the empty spaces to see dog bowls can be temporary, snuck in between coffee crops.

Compare the money wasted from selling your plowed land just to sell dog bowls. Earning at a loss.

RoseMeyer
05-02-12, 10:16 AM
sell it before you plow it. You have to plow it every time anyway.

atlantisonearth
05-02-12, 10:20 AM
sell it before you plow it. You have to plow it every time anyway.

By the time you are done doing all of that, you could have grown some strawberries.

atlantisonearth
05-02-12, 10:34 AM
By the time you are done doing all of that, you could have grown some strawberries.

On my farm, by the time you are done with all of that, you could have grown some Red Quiona.

RoseMeyer
05-02-12, 10:42 AM
feel guilty for laughing at that too....

IsisGarden
05-02-12, 10:42 AM
Honestly, I don't care what people send to me. At least they are sending something. It's a gift!

If you don't want something, just reject it and move on.

If feel the same way MiniLaura. It's a gift. So, it's the person's choice to send what they want to you.

You can accept it or reject. If someone takes the time to send me a gift, I am grateful.

atlantisonearth
05-02-12, 10:45 AM
If feel the same way MiniLaura. It's a gift. So, it's the person's choice to send what they want to you.

You can accept it or reject. If someone takes the time to send me a gift, I am grateful.

I definitely wouldn't feel insulted, but that is me. It's not as if the neighbor is saying "Let me insult this person by sending them an apple tree! Mwa ha ha ha ha!".

pinkster73
05-02-12, 11:44 AM
Atlantisonearth - smack!

SmokeyMtnGirl
05-02-12, 12:49 PM
I got the brown chicken today from a high level player, so I sent one right back over. lol
I have people who send me chickens and brownies ever day. I send them back every day. Some people either don't know about the value thing or aren't that into it. If it weren't for these threads I wouldn't know 50 Capps were better than 200 brownies. I mean you get 150 more plates. And at first I got annoyed with all the "stupid dog bowls". I didn't have a dog so what did I need with them??? IOW some people may just not know. :)

pinkster73
05-02-12, 12:51 PM
I have people who send me chickens and brownies ever day. I send them back every day. Some people either don't know about the value thing or aren't that into it. If it weren't for these threads I wouldn't know 50 Capps were better than 200 brownies. I mean you get 150 more plates. And at first I got annoyed with all the "stupid dog bowls". I didn't have a dog so what did I need with them??? IOW some people may just not know. :)

What's iow?

nmishii
05-02-12, 12:52 PM
I know I'm going to get bashed for this but here's my story:

I used to add people from the forum add me thread. There was a high percentage of those people who sent me chickens and apple trees. I used to post that I preferred dog bowls because I had too many of the other items in inventory and can sell dog bowls for $400. Those neighbors didn't last long for various reasons. So then I started immediately deleting any neighbor I added that sent me an apple tree or chicken the first time.

pinkster73
05-02-12, 12:54 PM

I used to add people from the forum add me thread. There was a high percentage of those people who sent me chickens and apple trees. I used to post that I preferred dog bowls because I had too many of the other items in inventory and can sell dog bowls for $400. Those neighbors didn't last long for various reasons. So then I started immediately deleting any neighbor I added that sent me an apple tree or chicken the first time.

No bashing required. That's called playing how you want.

DerGelbeKaiser
05-02-12, 01:32 PM
I keep trying to delete my noisy neighbours but they just won't move out!!!
;-P

driftboutique
05-02-12, 02:53 PM

See, I don't think there's a single thing wrong with this approach. If you want a specific gift, I think it's far more sensible to seek out like-minded neighbors than it is to try to change the ones you have who do things differently. Some people genuinely don't know about the coin value of various gifts, but a lot of people do and, for whatever reason, have a different set of criteria for gifting.

ljsae
05-02-12, 03:05 PM
I agree!!

DAmanding
05-02-12, 03:05 PM
See, I don't think there's a single thing wrong with this approach. If you want a specific gift, I think it's far more sensible to seek out like-minded neighbors than it is to try to change the ones you have who do things differently. Some people genuinely don't know about the coin value of various gifts, but a lot of people do and, for whatever reason, have a different set of criteria for gifting.

Just had to say....I completely agree. :)

atlantisonearth
05-05-12, 02:29 PM

Yes, I agree. I think you should "reset" your neighbor list, and next time, seek out players who gift what you want. That way you wont have to delete someone and/or hurt them... you save the trouble by not adding.

There is no need to bash someone because of an opinion that everyone is entitled to ;)

bobbyrae
05-05-12, 03:11 PM
The other day a neighbour sent me a chicken. I was so shocked i just sat there staring at my screen trying to figure out what on earth a chicken was doing in my gifts. I accepted all other gifts and still the chicken sat there. It took me while to decide what to do about that chicken. Eventually i declined it and sent a dog bowl back. The next day I got a welcome mat!!! So now that neighbour and I trade chickens and welcome mats. Lol. I can't delete him because i need more neighbours for expansions. -.-

3cala
05-05-12, 04:32 PM
I hate dog bowls because it's a hassle to sell them. Unless you could just sell them from inventory. I only want building supplies but I think people just give most friends the same gift, as myself, I can't keep track of who wants what.

lylahmae
05-05-12, 05:44 PM
I would gift everyone under level 80 building supplies then I would go back and gift everyone left dog bowls. I would go back again late in the day and gift anyone left dog bowls again incase. They had to delete chickens or trees and had an open space.

cheese4quinn
05-23-12, 01:40 PM
Up until about a week ago when I finally searched "dog bowls" online, I was one of the neighbors y'all hate! :-/

Over the last month or two before, I did get a couple messages from neighbors requesting only dog bowls but neither explained why. I thought, "Hmm, I haven't got enough gems to buy any of the dogs yet but I wonder if you need to feed them daily or something?" I know, I know... I'd try to make a mental note to remember and usually did, but sometimes did not.

In my defense, I just didn't know the difference in worth and often if I was i a rush, I'd send my whole list the same gift someone was requesting, finding it quickest to check off everyone down my list than not gift at all. Now I know. :)

ThorVII
05-23-12, 06:46 PM
Ok... when you gift... one of those is right next to the dog bowl...they may have not realized what they accidentally sent you

WendingWanderer
05-23-12, 08:51 PM
I would gift everyone under level 80 building supplies....

I would gift people under 75 rather than under 80.

I just made level 75, and I'm DONE with tool sheds. I've got 52 of them. There are no more land expansions, so I don't care if I go up in levels or not anymore. There's no reward for it, so now I just design my farm.

bbieprnc
05-24-12, 06:41 AM
Ok... when you gift... one of those is right next to the dog bowl...they may have not realized what they accidentally sent you

Hmm ... how about the Topiary - I've been getting that one too.

RoseMeyer
05-24-12, 07:54 AM
Im actually thisclose to mastering apple trees. So I take any of them to speed up the process (they're free!) and then dispose or store them when its done.

Afterwards, I guess I either decline it or sell them if I click too fast.

WendingWanderer
05-24-12, 07:56 PM
Im actually thisclose to mastering apple trees. So I take any of them to speed up the process (they're free!) and then dispose or store them when its done.

Afterwards, I guess I either decline it or sell them if I click too fast.

You'd be better off refusing apple trees, accepting dog bowls, selling the dog bowl for $400 and buying 4 apple trees ($100 each) for the selling price of the dog bowl.

viviansmo
05-24-12, 10:30 PM
Yeah, but selling dog bowls means placing dog bowls which means clearing room for them... I'm too lazy. Which is why I have over 1500 dog bowls again... :p
I'd rather get apple trees. Or wooden crates.

bobbyrae
05-25-12, 06:04 AM
Yeah, but selling dog bowls means placing dog bowls which means clearing room for them... I'm too lazy. Which is why I have over 1500 dog bowls again... :p

Wow...i'll try to remember to gift you some crates! :p

Snapenath
05-25-12, 06:17 AM

LOL and I will gift you some crates too !!

RoseMeyer
05-25-12, 07:26 AM
You'd be better off refusing apple trees, accepting dog bowls, selling the dog bowl for $400 and buying 4 apple trees ($100 each) for the selling price of the dog bowl.

trying to make me to maths in my head again?
it was simpler the other way.

;>

nmishii
05-25-12, 09:22 AM

I guess I'll send you a wooden crate also.

How about tool shed parts?

viviansmo
05-25-12, 10:08 AM
oh, yay! I seriously considered posting request for wooden crates to see how many of my neighbors would do so. hah. it is what I have the least of in my inventory! :-D And maybe I can use them to box up the chickens, after punching air holes in them of course.

as for tool shed parts... I'm indifferent. A few weeks ago I went and built seven or eight tool sheds with what I had in inventory. And now I have enough to build a few more again. But I'm not looking to level up quickly or anything, so I don't really want them.

Anyway, I pretty much accept anything anyone gifts me.

viviansmo
05-25-12, 10:09 AM
RoseMeyer, do you want me to gift you orange or plum trees so you can work on mastering those next? ;)

RoseMeyer
05-25-12, 10:13 AM
RoseMeyer, do you want me to gift you orange or plum trees so you can work on mastering those next? ;)

If you send em, Ill use em.

:o;)::p

;)

RoseMeyer
05-27-12, 04:01 PM
hey, you GUYS!! Orange trees cost 750 clams! Its better to get an orange tree, cuz you'd have to sell TWOdog bowls to buy ONE orange tree!

Thanks to mooooosie (however many o's that should be)!!

Ill have to start a "Gift me orange Trees Thread!"

teewed
05-27-12, 04:39 PM
You people have wwwaaaaayyyy too much time on your hands.

pinkster73
05-27-12, 05:16 PM
You people have wwwaaaaayyyy too much time on your hands.

And you have time enough to read it.......

bobbyrae
05-27-12, 07:33 PM
Well, i've mastered orange and apple trees so I have no use for those as gifts. Dog bowls all the way for me :p

yupiyupigumgum
05-27-12, 07:57 PM
Maybe you can use the chickens for decorating? Like make a sign says NO MORE CHICKEN. :P

happyday5
05-29-12, 08:35 PM
I love this thread. I thought I was the only one getting chickens from a level 77 nbr. The only thing worse is a door mat! There is nothing in the game that requires a door mat so they stay forever and ever in inventory. I too thought about deleting that nbr, then decided its kinda whimsical and now I enjoy seeing something in the line up of gifts besides dog bowls and tool shed parts. Going with the flow...

kmyfarmer
05-30-12, 10:23 AM
Every now and then I get the chickens or door mat as gifts but I just decline them. I am the one of the farmers that builds tool sheds to level up so that is what I usually prefer. As for gifting, unless a neighbor asks me for one specific gift, I tend to send tool shed parts and dog bowls.

Tratty01
05-30-12, 05:28 PM
I skipped the last couple of pages here but it seems tat none of us really have the answer how the gift rule works. I think what the go is with gifting is, we all get a number of gifts per 24hrs. I think maybe 20 (not confirmed). If you have many nieghbours it then gives you the choice of declining the gifts that you don't want to make room for those you do. Hence the accept or decline button. :-) I think that's how it is meant to work. I'm sick of people telling me to empty my darn boxes so that they can gift me when I already have accepted and sold whatever I've been sent.

WendingWanderer
05-30-12, 07:17 PM
For me, gifting begins at midnight, regardless of when I actually gifted before. (I'm on an Android) It's not a 24 hour wait - it all resets at midnight.

You're offered the first 20 gifts. If you turn some down (and nobody knows that you've turned their gift down), then there is space for other gifts until you have accepted 20.

It doesn't seem to keep a backlog, so if 30 people tried to gift you before you check your gifts, it cuts off after 20 and tells the others that you are full. If you refuse 5 of those (for example), you will be offered whatever the next 5 people gift you. This will continue until you've accepted 20 gifts. Then you're done for the day.

yaharalady
05-30-12, 08:54 PM
I say send them welcome mats. Can't sell them and not used for anything

bidur5678
05-30-12, 11:01 PM
For me, gifting begins at midnight, regardless of when I actually gifted before. (I'm on an Android) It's not a 24 hour wait - it all resets at midnight.

You're offered the first 20 gifts. If you turn some down (and nobody knows that you've turned their gift down), then there is space for other gifts until you have accepted 20.

It doesn't seem to keep a backlog, so if 30 people tried to gift you before you check your gifts, it cuts off after 20 and tells the others that you are full. If you refuse 5 of those (for example), you will be offered whatever the next 5 people gift you. This will continue until you've accepted 20 gifts. Then you're done for the day.

Yes, that is the way it happens. True.

bbieprnc
05-31-12, 06:21 AM
I love this thread. I thought I was the only one getting chickens from a level 77 nbr. The only thing worse is a door mat! There is nothing in the game that requires a door mat so they stay forever and ever in inventory. I too thought about deleting that nbr, then decided its kinda whimsical and now I enjoy seeing something in the line up of gifts besides dog bowls and tool shed parts. Going with the flow...

I will beat you with my story - have one neighbor level 97 that every day sends me chicken - no joke.

bobbyrae
05-31-12, 06:28 AM
I have one neighbour who sends green bricks and red roof shingles. I'm on the verge of deleting him. -.-

Snapenath
05-31-12, 06:31 AM
Lol, I know what to send you if I ever want you to delete me then !!

quentinsmommy
05-31-12, 06:05 PM
I have one neighbour who sends green bricks and red roof shingles. I'm on the verge of deleting him. -.-

Same here! Blue bricks as well.:( I have one neighbor that only sent me apple trees at first, then moved on to sending green bricks, brown chickens, welcome mats (I have over 40 in my inventory:mad:) and even a few red roof shingles *sigh.* I've been building sheds/shamrock fountains/schoolhouses/blacksmith shops etc. so I can empty my inventory of all those useless parts (and going broke in the process). The person will be deleted once my inventory is finally empty. In other stories (such as brownies in BS or waffles in RS), I just decline these kind of gifts.

pinkster73
05-31-12, 07:34 PM
I will beat you with my story - have one neighbor level 97 that every day sends me chicken - no joke.

Have you done something to offend them? Tee hee

nmishii
05-31-12, 07:44 PM

Did you happen to send the neighbor a chicken as your first gift to him/her, like you sent to me?

laylapancake
05-31-12, 07:46 PM
Every now and then I get the chickens or door mat as gifts but I just decline them. I am the one of the farmers that builds tool sheds to level up so that is what I usually prefer. As for gifting, unless a neighbor asks me for one specific gift, I tend to send tool shed parts and dog bowls.

This^^ is my same strategy;)

bbieprnc
06-01-12, 06:09 AM
Did you happen to send the neighbor a chicken as your first gift to him/her, like you sent to me?

I tried - didn't work on them ....LOL, still getting chicken back. Tried to send bowls, nope get chicken back, asked on his wall ... another chicken. I'm just laughing.

RoseMeyer
06-01-12, 06:58 AM
I tried - didn't work on them ....LOL, still getting chicken back. Tried to send bowls, nope get chicken back, asked on his wall ... another chicken. I'm just laughing.

gotta send this one brownies.

trace35
06-02-12, 05:27 AM

Don't condemn me, I normally send parts, but aren't brownies the new cap? Since all the food items sell for the same price per plate, and you receive more plates of brownies than cappuccino ? Seems like a better gift to me!

queentina3
06-02-12, 08:43 AM
Don't condemn me, I normally send parts, but aren't brownies the new cap? Since all the food items sell for the same price per plate, and you receive more plates of brownies than cappuccino ? Seems like a better gift to me!

Not all food sells for the same plate. That was implemented for about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks and then TL reverted back after the uproar we created over it.

nmishii
06-02-12, 09:00 AM

He's playing Farm, brownies are in BS. I'd delete that neighbor.

RoseMeyer
06-02-12, 09:10 AM

um Iknew that. guess Im not a funny as I thought/ ;)

queentina3
06-02-12, 09:13 AM
um Iknew that. guess Im not a funny as I thought/ ;)

Yes you are, as I giggled when I saw your post. :p

bbieprnc
06-03-12, 01:02 PM

Thank you for the idea, yeah, I've got soft heart - :-) Plus the chicken is right next to the dog bowl.

dala12
06-05-12, 11:59 AM
When I first got a bowl I thought?? I really declined it because I had One already.Also I did not know what to do with it, I ask why? Then I found out that you must sell it! I sent bowls only now!

bbieprnc
06-05-12, 12:23 PM
When I first got a bowl I thought?? I really declined it because I had One already.Also I did not know what to do with it, I ask why? Then I found out that you must sell it! I sent bowls only now!

Depends - some neighbors prefer material, but they will usually tell you. It is faster and easier to build something if you have some in inventory.

Wydchild
02-11-13, 03:33 PM
I like sending the Dog Bowl. If you sellit its worth 400 coins. Chickiens cows sheep are money makers

nky1111
02-13-13, 08:18 AM
a horde of chickens looks nice lol. and u also can build 3d out of them.

Unicorn330
02-27-13, 04:08 PM
just be happy your getting gifts. at one point I had over 100 neighbors and I was only getting about 10 gifts a day

knuffduff
02-27-13, 05:39 PM

Apologies Rose, I am the one distressing you with my straight line watering.. Let me explain.. Firstly I am playing on a cell phone, and can only see a small section of the field, secondly, I have very thick arthritic fingers. Thirdly thick reading glasses gets in the way. Lol.

From today I will dab all over the field.

knuffduff
02-27-13, 05:46 PM
As for why some people gift chickens, because they are first on list of gifts. Also maybe, some nbrs do not understand English. I had a very young Arabic nbr, who kept sending me chickens too, until his father came to his rescue.

KadeeDid
02-27-13, 06:16 PM
I send them back what they sent me and then decline their gift so I can get dog bowls or parts.

emergRN
02-27-13, 06:58 PM

i have a nb...she also sends me junky stuff that i dont need but i dont complain, just accept and move on. one of my other nbs watered a heart for me..i just replanted so my whole farm was fresh and new with this pretty heart watered in the middle of my field. this junky gifting chick comes to water and makes a box out of my heart..so now my watered heart is gone. i knew for a fact that she was the one that did that. like did u not have another 200 empty crops to water? had to get rid of my heart?? i was so crusty lol. so i msged her and said "you don't like hearts or something?"
needless to say, i gift bowl and shed parts alternately. i would purposely gift her crates lol. i am mean, i know...but it feels so good lol

knuffduff
02-27-13, 11:44 PM
You are too kind to send crates. They are worth something. Send door mats is the most worthless lol

emergRN
02-28-13, 03:06 PM
You are too kind to send crates. They are worth something. Send door mats is the most worthless lol

lol. door mats it is :-) lol

crystalrayn3
03-04-13, 11:24 AM
A gift is exactly that-a gift. If you don't need the item then simply sell it. If it's a "construction" item, ie doormat, then be grateful you can build up a surplus. Who knows what new item TL might come up with to build. It will save you time asking neighbors to send you the items needed.

sourlicorice5
03-05-13, 10:08 AM
A gift is exactly that-a gift. If you don't need the item then simply sell it. If it's a "construction" item, ie doormat, then be grateful you can build up a surplus. Who knows what new item TL might come up with to build. It will save you time asking neighbors to send you the items needed.

Myself I like to get tool shed parts but am ok if nbrs send something else that can be used or sold. Doormats however I decline as they are not useful as there is nothing that they can be used for and it's been like that for over a year or more now. I don't know why TL just doesn't remove that one item.

rene2222
03-05-13, 06:49 PM
I get very angry when I see my neighbours send me chicken, trees and cows as gift. I will decline the gift immediately and will not return any. I got them from high level players too.

bbieprnc
03-05-13, 07:29 PM
I get very angry when I see my neighbours send me chicken, trees and cows as gift. I will decline the gift immediately and will not return any. I got them from high level players too.

LOL I sent them back the chicken, tree or whatever else they send to me.

pinkster73
03-05-13, 07:40 PM
I'm going to send doormats to everyone tomorrow.

bbieprnc
03-06-13, 06:41 AM
I'm going to send doormats to everyone tomorrow.

LOl I better accept all the gifts before you wake up...LOL

pinkster73
03-06-13, 08:14 AM
LOl I better accept all the gifts before you wake up...LOL

It's Ok, I forgot I was going to do that. You're safe.

Baraze
03-06-13, 08:52 AM
I have more than enough neighbors to compensate for the ones who send me junk I dont use. Unless you have less than 30 neighbors I fail to see what the big deal is about over getting dog bowls/shed items. You cant and wont get gifts from everyone, so just decline what you dont want, wait until your 20 fills up with what you choose and keep it moving.

I just send dog bowls. If something remarkable comes out that needs new parts (gourd fountain/autumn feast) I change it up for three days. Like it or not, I dont care. Nor should you. Its just a game. But yeah, apple trees cost .00001 of a coin, I get that new players only send them now.

Baraze
03-06-13, 09:03 AM
Somebody needs to do a present-value analysis on the value of the cash flow from the empty and potentially inhabitable space needed to place and sell dog bowls over time at a projected discount rate offset by the opportunity cost of not being able to plant coffee on those squares into perpetuity...

...and compare it to investing in an apple tree (and whatever you said RM). Dog bowls are good for quick cash, while apple trees help you in the long run. If you were looking for quick cash by selling dog bowls, then I wouldn't call whatever chunk of land you are doing that on a farm.

Stop writing stuff like this people! i stink at probabilities and statistics.

bbieprnc
03-06-13, 09:25 AM
I have more than enough neighbors to compensate for the ones who send me junk I dont use. Unless you have less than 30 neighbors I fail to see what the big deal is about over getting dog bowls/shed items. You cant and wont get gifts from everyone, so just decline what you dont want, wait until your 20 fills up with what you choose and keep it moving.

I just send dog bowls. If something remarkable comes out that needs new parts (gourd fountain/autumn feast) I change it up for three days. Like it or not, I dont care. Nor should you. Its just a game. But yeah, apple trees cost .00001 of a coin, I get that new players only send them now.

But what is the point of such tree taking up that one plot of land if I have already mastered it? In the meantime I can use that plot of land to grow another item - crop or a tree that I have not mastered, make my coins and gem. So really I would receive such tree and sold it with less than I get from a dog bowl and we are back to where we were ..... Dog Bowls, pls.

neferlicious
03-08-13, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the education on both fs and bs. I was super high level in bs before finding the forums. New to fs, I'm hopeful I will not offend any of my new neighbors with my gifts!

sannimanni
03-09-13, 02:38 AM
Thanks for the education on both fs and bs. I was super high level in bs before finding the forums. New to fs, I'm hopeful I will not offend any of my new neighbors with my gifts!

?Thanks for the education? (where is the irony smiley?) LOL

As a beginner whose english is about good enough to follow the discussion, I'd like to add:
Up to lvl ~30 I didn't even notice the possibility to sell gifts. So I sent around whatever came to my mind, and I'm sure a lot of people do so and never find out that their neighbours feel offended by this.

Just tell them in friendly words - and keep in mind, it's a GAME.

teresadawn
03-11-13, 07:49 AM
What I do is write a list of all my neighbours then beside their names I put what gift they want so at least all my neighbours are happy plus I get the gifts that I want also...1 happy farmer lol :-)

bbieprnc
03-11-13, 08:02 AM
What I do is write a list of all my neighbours then beside their names I put what gift they want so at least all my neighbours are happy plus I get the gifts that I want also...1 happy farmer lol :-)

You are one of the few considerate ones, I do something similar. A lot try and others just tell you they give one thing to all and just change it each day and you can decline their gift .... :-) Also, we have to remember that players are of all ages - kids to retirees and some don't speak English, some don't really understand the game - the value of different gifts. Well it is just a game, right?

teresadawn
03-11-13, 08:43 AM
Yeah it is a game :-). But I like to keep my neighbours happy with watering daily n giving them the gift they want .

lbug1124
03-11-13, 03:48 PM

No send them welcome mats!

lbug1124
03-11-13, 03:51 PM

I have a nbr that writes messages with chickens, also have a nbr that still sends spokes, just decline them and send the same thing back.....just a game. I remember starting out, so excited when I got a chicken and a cow!

bbieprnc
03-11-13, 03:54 PM
I have a nbr that writes messages with chickens, also have a nbr that still sends spokes, just decline them and send the same thing back.....just a game. I remember starting out, so excited when I got a chicken and a cow!

I know, when I started - I was happy with anything, even a welcome mat.

pinkster73
03-11-13, 06:22 PM
When I first started I couldn't figure out why all these idiots were sending me dog bowls when I clearly didn't have a dog. Turns out the ignorant one was me!

Boogie083
03-12-13, 10:29 PM
?Thanks for the education? (where is the irony smiley?) LOL

As a beginner whose english is about good enough to follow the discussion, I'd like to add:
Up to lvl ~30 I didn't even notice the possibility to sell gifts. So I sent around whatever came to my mind, and I'm sure a lot of people do so and never find out that their neighbours feel offended by this.

Just tell them in friendly words - and keep in mind, it's a GAME.

Thank you. I began playing yesterday and had no idea gift sending was so critical/important until now.

winstons93
04-08-13, 08:03 AM
I just started playing this game yesterday, so I had no idea what gifts where the best to give until now. I am level 99 in BS and RS, so I know those games in/out. I'm frustrated that I have no clue about FS ~ but I'll get there.

So dog bowls = good; welcome mat = bad ... lol!

As for watering in a straight line, why is that bad?

sourlicorice5
04-08-13, 09:39 AM
I just started playing this game yesterday, so I had no idea what gifts where the best to give until now. I am level 99 in BS and RS, so I know those games in/out. I'm frustrated that I have no clue about FS ~ but I'll get there.

So dog bowls = good; welcome mat = bad ... lol!

As for watering in a straight line, why is that bad?

Watering in a straight line isn't bad. If I remember the previous posts correctly I think players were just joking around on that one.

sourlicorice5
04-08-13, 09:40 AM
Lol they were joking around. It wasn't serious about watering in a straight line :p

winstons93
04-08-13, 10:17 AM
Ha, thanks for clearing that up :-)

bbieprnc
04-08-13, 11:08 AM
Also another favor you may be asked is to water first the ripe crop - ready to be collected - I usually try to do that as it gives the farmer additional 20 coins and XP for collecting watered crops immediately. Some leave unwatered crops and plant around it, others just collect regardless if it was watered or not. It is more of a favor though.

Boogie083
04-08-13, 12:17 PM
Also another favor you may be asked is to water first the ripe crop - ready to be collected - I usually try to do that as it gives the farmer additional 20 coins and XP for collecting watered crops immediately. Some leave unwatered crops and plant around it, others just collect regardless if it was watered or not. It is more of a favor though.

if u r harvesting while someone is watering, will u or will u not collect the additional 20 coins without refreshing your farm? I assume u will not.

I once watered a nbr's farm who was actively harvesting and after posting on her wall and i had 10 drops as if i did not water her crops. This was hours before/after the midnight PST reset.

Sorry this is OT but the tip was brought up... so I am curious.

bbieprnc
04-08-13, 01:38 PM
if u r harvesting while someone is watering, will u or will u not collect the additional 20 coins without refreshing your farm? I assume u will not.

I once watered a nbr's farm who was actively harvesting and after posting on her wall and i had 10 drops as if i did not water her crops. This was hours before/after the midnight PST reset.

Sorry this is OT but the tip was brought up... so I am curious.

Agreed - I don't think it refreshes in time - at least from my experience - drops didn't show but in my case I didn't have another 10 available.

This other 10 may happen just because the water just didn't take - there could had been other data transfer, you were writing/posting on his/her wall or someone was watering the same spot. Sometimes when I tap on 10 and start typing message when drops are still taking place and I have maybe 5 to go, the last one doesn't get placed - so I have one more to go... or more. It is strange and there was a post where we were discussing it and IT person was explaining that the game may not be conditioned to transfer all the data at the same time and it is not able to handle the on off in network and server communication.

Hope it helped/

jesslanrose
04-12-13, 09:20 PM
ROFL I'm so stupid. I had a 99 lvl neighbor and every single day he would send a dog bowl. I finally got annoyed enough I removed him. Did he think I was gonna start a dog pound on my farm or something? LOL Now I know better. LOL Thank you for sharing that tidbit!

cececafe319
04-13-13, 10:26 AM
I have been playing for about three weeks and did not know why I kept getting dog bowls either until now. I think I'll go cash in right now. By the way, I never really know what to send my neighbors so I just gift back what they sent to me. I visit their farms but never really know what someone needs until I get a request. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to be a better gifter?

Boogie083
04-13-13, 10:36 AM
Makes sense. thank u bb:)

Boogie083
04-13-13, 10:41 AM
higher level players r more forgiving to new players. dog bowls seem so random and useless ujtil a friendly nbr explains the 400 coins value. i remember asking for trees and gifting them before searching this sbforum for infomrmation. i believe a great amoint of players never visit game forums, so even higher level players may not know dog bowls are worth 400 coins or how to sell them.

Boogie083
04-13-13, 10:42 AM
typos galore !! sorry i am using a new keyboard app

Boogie083
04-13-13, 02:35 PM
I have been playing for about three weeks and did not know why I kept getting dog bowls either until now. I think I'll go cash in right now. By the way, I never really know what to send my neighbors so I just gift back what they sent to me. I visit their farms but never really know what someone needs until I get a request. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to be a better gifter?

forgot to come back to give my opinion after changing new keyboard app's settings.

-
gift whatever u want to gift because nbrs can decline gifts they don't want.

bbieprnc
04-13-13, 04:40 PM

When I get a new neighbor I usually ask them what gift they prefer. Most will tell you what they prefer, some post it on their wall. Their choices are either tool shed material or dog bowls and that is what I gift them.

ktmracer66
04-14-13, 05:43 PM

Who cares if people water in a straight or not. How petty. Just be be glad u have neighbors that actually do water andbe grateful.

ktmracer66
04-14-13, 05:49 PM

Who cares if neighbors water in a straight line or not...how petty. Just be glad ur neighbors actually do water.

ktmracer66
04-14-13, 06:03 PM
A gift's value is not how much money it is worth, but the intent of gifting it to you. They aren't required to give you a gift, so be thankful that they do.

Something else -- Chickens and Apple Trees are risk-free investments -- so if you were to judge the gift based on money, in the long run, those two would win.
Obviously you're not a financial adviser or investor thank goodness....You're argument is flawed. I can take one dog bowl and sell it for 400.00 then purchase 4 apple trees and make 4 times as much money.

ktmracer66
04-14-13, 06:12 PM
The other day a neighbour sent me a chicken. I was so shocked i just sat there staring at my screen trying to figure out what on earth a chicken was doing in my gifts. I accepted all other gifts and still the chicken sat there. It took me while to decide what to do about that chicken. Eventually i declined it and sent a dog bowl back. The next day I got a welcome mat!!! So now that neighbour and I trade chickens and welcome mats. Lol. I can't delete him because i need more neighbours for expansions. -.-just earn gems and use them to expand.the last expansion takes 75 neighbors. I whitled mine down to 20 . That way they all get a gift. I have to work for a living and don't have hours to waste watering neighbors.

ktmracer66
04-14-13, 06:17 PM
Wow...i'll try to remember to gift you some crates! :p

Lolol that was funny heehee

Boogie083
04-14-13, 08:27 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to be a better gifter?

now i have a better, more helpful opinion. As u visit your nbrs, only gift nbrs who are constructing buildings parts (bricks, concrete, tiles, etc) and mass gift dog bowls to the rest when u visit your last nbr...or mass gift everyone from Stormie's name.

Unless someone asks for parts to save up to build tool sheds all at once, which is not your duty to remember if u don't see a building in construction on his/her farm... just send a dog bowl if u can't remember.

bbieprnc
04-15-13, 05:20 AM
Hmm, I have no issue with remembering who is asking me for what, so it depends on you and your memory. I have several that request parts and they are the first I gift, the rest gets dog bowls. But of course they don't have to accept my gifts, that is why TL give us two buttons.

Boogie083
04-15-13, 09:32 AM
Hmm, I have no issue with remembering who is asking me for what, so it depends on you and your memory. I have several that request parts and they are the first I gift, the rest gets dog bowls. But of course they don't have to accept my gifts, that is why TL give us two buttons.

yeah, someone said they have a spreadsheet(?) which is a bit much.

and if play many social games, may not remember who wants what in all games from memory alone

Rainstorms45
04-18-13, 05:55 AM
Ok I'm a chicken sender... Only cause they are cute.... Lol but no one for me really says what they want... I don't care what they send me and I usually just send out dog bowls or animals

ktmracer66
04-18-13, 08:54 AM
I've narrowed down to shed parts and dog bowls. Mon.-shingles Tues.tiles Wed.wiring Thurs.wood and Fri......da da da da....dog bowl. I take weekends off. Don't have time for lists!! Work all day mortgage payments and kids to tend to. Most of the people that complain about their gifts are the power players w/ a hundred plus neighbors that are 4star,never water, never send gifts and are at a high level. I've narrowed my list to 20. 20 neighbors 20 gifts and everybodies happy.

cececafe319
04-20-13, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the tips. I will use them.
now i have a better, more helpful opinion. As u visit your nbrs, only gift nbrs who are constructing buildings parts (bricks, concrete, tiles, etc) and mass gift dog bowls to the rest when u visit your last nbr...or mass gift everyone from Stormie's name.

Unless someone asks for parts to save up to build tool sheds all at once, which is not your duty to remember if u don't see a building in construction on his/her farm... just send a dog bowl if u can't remember.

samizmyne
04-20-13, 04:08 PM
I have one neighbor who always sends me stupid gifts, but he's so good about watering that I just let it pass. It's not worth hurting his feelings over.

anketam
04-27-13, 01:44 PM
I am a parts gifter. Money is normally not a limiting factor in this game, so my rule is send only stuff that people can't buy. I look at what material requests people sent, and then what is the most common item in that list I send out to all my neighbors. I have no problem with dog bowls since they are the best non material gift. I already have mastered almost all of the trees, so sending me a tree is absolutely pointless. Strangely enough I don't mind getting wooden crates. I sometimes explain to neighbors the value of dog bowls, but after playing this game for far too long, I don't care.

On a side note, when I do water, which is ultra rare, I am one of those people who does water in a straight line. I am OCD about things being in straight lines, and I will go find spots that people did a scatter or a heart pattern and 'fix' them.
Filled in box patterns > Heart Patterns.

CrazyFarmet
04-28-13, 08:50 PM
On "gifting" I will gift back whatever is gifted to me and I have posted a message to my neighbors to gift me what THEY want. I sell everything that I get for coins anyway. ��

zzzzzoii
05-22-13, 07:09 AM
I am not sure if this is the right thread, but since it is about gifts i decided to post here. I noticed that declined a few gifts, but my nbrs are saying that my gifts are maxed out. So basically now i think you can only get the first 20 gifts people gift you. Has any one noticed that they are not getting replacement gifts too?

Baraze
05-22-13, 09:55 AM
Why do I have about ten apple trees and chickens a day? My gosh. And these are from higher level players! I deleted a bunch of non watering neighbors, so I don't get a full 20 gifts a day, after I decline these. But with my being 800,000 away from my villa every bit counts. I don't understand this at all.

Just my gripe for the day.

bbieprnc
05-22-13, 02:06 PM
I am not sure if this is the right thread, but since it is about gifts i decided to post here. I noticed that declined a few gifts, but my nbrs are saying that my gifts are maxed out. So basically now i think you can only get the first 20 gifts people gift you. Has any one noticed that they are not getting replacement gifts too?

Yes, and I have posted that here a few times already. When I decline gifts not all the time I get replacements and ending that day a few gifts short. It was happening for a while, then it was fixed and then again. What I try to do is log out of the game completely and get back in. It seems to work on some days, but on others I end up short again.

myndisue
05-24-13, 07:45 PM
I seem to be that annoying gifting neighbor. I have seen the light now and will give better gifts.