PDA

View Full Version : Ipad Mini

ThorVII
04-29-12, 04:15 PM
It came to the attention of apple that Kindle Fire was stealing all of their customers. The Kindle Fire is an even 200 while the Ipad can reach prices of 800. Apple has recently started the development of an Ipad mini. Not many details have been released. It's price will be in the 200-300 range. Us kindle users who hope to get in on this pray that it will have more than the Kindle's 1.17 GB of on device storage. The Ipad mini will be compatible with most of the Ipads apps.(Tl too). It will obviously be about the same size of the Kindle Fire. They say that they hope to release it soon.:eek:

pinkster73
04-29-12, 04:53 PM
That sounds cool.

jellybelly2001
04-29-12, 04:59 PM
That sounds cool.

I know right!
To bad saving for a laptop and a iPhone

ariesblu
04-29-12, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't necessarily call it stealing - I don't think all of the Kindle users were apple users, and there are tons of tablets in the market. But I do think it's interesting that they are thinking of doing this, especially when Steve Jobs hated the idea. Rumor has it Apple is doing this to compete with Microsoft's Windows 8 that's coming out towards the end of this year, but this will sure help those who don't want to spend an exorbitant amount on the regular ipad.

camel_power
06-20-12, 07:42 AM
I am a Kindle user and iPad user... best of both worlds ;)

kattybell
06-20-12, 07:45 AM
I've read about this and had a friend who worked at a Apple store tell me about it. I have a Kindle Fire, so don't know if I'd get this, but it's pretty cool if so.

I agree with ariesblu though about them doing this when Steve Jobs hated the idea. :(

camel_power
06-20-12, 07:53 AM
I've read about this and had a friend who worked at a Apple store tell me about it. I have a Kindle Fire, so don't know if I'd get this, but it's pretty cool if so.

I agree with ariesblu though about them doing this when Steve Jobs hated the idea. :(

Well, I don't know about Steve; but I, for one, am going to purchase the iPad Mini when it is available.

kattybell
06-20-12, 07:54 AM
Well, I don't know about Steve; but I, for one, am going to purchase the iPad Mini when it is available.

Depending on the price I will get one too. :)

camel_power
06-20-12, 07:56 AM
Depending on the price I will get one too. :)

Do you know anything about the iPhone 5 ... ? :rolleyes:

kattybell
06-20-12, 07:56 AM
Do you know anything about the iPhone 5 ... ? :rolleyes:

Lol I wish. That's on my list too ;)

camel_power
06-20-12, 07:59 AM
Lol I wish. That's on my list too ;)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iPhone+5&l=1

kooky panda
06-20-12, 08:01 AM
I skipped getting iphone 4S waiting on 5.

kattybell
06-20-12, 08:03 AM

Me too. :)

camel_power
06-20-12, 08:09 AM

Me too. :)

Same! :)

queentina3
06-20-12, 08:19 AM

My husband is doing the same thing. He was bummed when they put off releasing it last Sept/Oct.

The iPad mini would be great for my kids, so I hope Apple does come out with it. It will be on their christmas lists to their grandparents. :)

Rachael98
06-20-12, 09:05 AM

Can you send me one in the post too :D ?

sourlicorice2
06-20-12, 09:33 AM
I'll stick with my regular iPad. I like having a bigger screen.

purpsandherb
06-24-12, 02:57 AM
what is the world goin to when we worry more bout screens then how are grandparents are and we are loosing are culture. come on, 10 year olds with a I pad. I don't think so. that aint quality time.

lylahmae
06-24-12, 04:18 AM
what is the world goin to when we worry more bout screens then how are grandparents are and we are loosing are culture. come on, 10 year olds with a I pad. I don't think so. that aint quality time.

My four year old and I snuggle up on her bed with my nook color and she "reads" me Dr. Seuss books along with the narrator as the words light up I learned how to read by memorizing the Dr. Seuss books my dad read to me but my books didn't highlight the words as he read them. That said I don't think kids should have apple anything because I am anti apple but the new technology is not all bad and I think how I read with my daughter is no different than how my dad read with me...the books are even the same!

sourlicorice2
06-24-12, 05:38 AM

we aren't losing anything. we can worry about screens. Doesn't mean we don't worry about are grandparents or won't put them first (Im talking about adults at least most adults anyways).

Though I agree 10 years old is too young for electronic gadgets like iPads. I teach 7-9 year olds and some of their parents have rewarded them with iPads when theyve done well on final exams. Pretty sad really. I'd never reward my child (if I had one) with something like that. I think the parents if they want to reward their children for something like that then take them to the zoo, park or some fun activity they can do together.

sourlicorice2
06-24-12, 05:40 AM
My four year old and I snuggle up on her bed with my nook color and she "reads" me Dr. Seuss books along with the narrator as the words light up I learned how to read by memorizing the Dr. Seuss books my dad read to me but my books didn't highlight the words as he read them. That said I don't think kids should have apple anything because I am anti apple but the new technology is not all bad and I think how I read with my daughter is no different than how my dad read with me...the books are even the same!

I think that's a wonderful activity to do with your four year old :-)

pinkster73
06-24-12, 07:25 AM
One downside to now having all my books in ebook form is reading in the bath. I'm an avid reader and used to lay in the bath for a very long time and relax with a good book. I have also accidentally dropped a few books in with me :p. I won't read my ebooks in the bath for that reason. :(

sourlicorice2
06-24-12, 08:36 AM
One downside to now having all my books in ebook form is reading in the bath. I'm an avid reader and used to lay in the bath for a very long time and relax with a good book. I have also accidentally dropped a few books in with me :p. I won't read my ebooks in the bath for that reason. :(

I love soaking in the bath with a good book. Don't recall ever giving my book a bath though lol.

lylahmae
06-24-12, 04:19 PM

I can access my nook account on my phone which is waterproof....I have lost a few books in the bath too.

queentina3
06-25-12, 07:32 AM

I'm sorry, but what does a 10 yr old having an iPad Mini have to do with asking how their grandparents are getting on? This is the technology age, and has been for years now. Should I not use electricity because my ancestors had only candles available to them? Should I get from place A to place B by horse carriage because my ancestors didn't live in the time of automobiles?

For your information, there are many books that my kids currently read on my Kindle because they can't always get the books they want from the local Library due to only have a few copies, so we download them from the Library instead. There are more digital copies offered and with the Inter-Library program that is instituted with our surrounding town libraries, it just makes it easier. At least my kids still READ a book, and don't go the MP3 audio book route like many kids nowadays are doing. :rolleyes:

There are many nice games that can be played that teach children things as well, while also having fun. How is having an iPad Mini any different than a child playing the occassional Xbox game, Wii game, or playstation 3? Or a computer game for that matter? My kids, at least, have a set time limit on playing games, so using an iPad Mini or a Computer during that time frame shouldn't make a difference. I would buy them their own Kindles, but since I don't read at the same times they do, it hasn't been necessarry yet.

pinkster, sourlicorice, and lylahmae, I also LOVE to read while soaking in a nice warm bath. I still have many paperback books that I haven't gotten around to reading fully yet that I usually bring with me, but sometimes I do use my Kindle instead. I ALMOST dropped it in with me once, but then I got one of those hard-cover kind of bumpy covers for it, so it's easier to hold now and I haven't had an accident yet. *knocks on wood* :P

sourlicorice2
06-25-12, 08:58 AM
I'm sorry, but what does a 10 yr old having an iPad Mini have to do with asking how their grandparents are getting on? This is the technology age, and has been for years now. Should I not use electricity because my ancestors had only candles available to them? Should I get from place A to place B by horse carriage because my ancestors didn't live in the time of automobiles?

For your information, there are many books that my kids currently read on my Kindle because they can't always get the books they want from the local Library due to only have a few copies, so we download them from the Library instead. There are more digital copies offered and with the Inter-Library program that is instituted with our surrounding town libraries, it just makes it easier. At least my kids still READ a book, and don't go the MP3 audio book route like many kids nowadays are doing. :rolleyes:

There are many nice games that can be played that teach children things as well, while also having fun. How is having an iPad Mini any different than a child playing the occassional Xbox game, Wii game, or playstation 3? Or a computer game for that matter? My kids, at least, have a set time limit on playing games, so using an iPad Mini or a Computer during that time frame shouldn't make a difference. I would buy them their own Kindles, but since I don't read at the same times they do, it hasn't been necessarry yet.

pinkster, sourlicorice, and lylahmae, I also LOVE to read while soaking in a nice warm bath. I still have many paperback books that I haven't gotten around to reading fully yet that I usually bring with me, but sometimes I do use my Kindle instead. I ALMOST dropped it in with me once, but then I got one of those hard-cover kind of bumpy covers for it, so it's easier to hold now and I haven't had an accident yet. *knocks on wood* :P

Exactly, having an iPad mini has nothing to do with asking how your grandparents are.

IPads also have good educational apps for children to play. I don't think a 7-10 year old needs their own iPad but to use their parents to play educational games or read books on is great. Last school term I brought my own ipad2 into school and if a student has been good then the last ten minutes of class if they've finished their work I'll let them sit at the back of the classroom and play a phonics game, spelling game, read a story etc. I do turn the Internet connection off lol and check on them every few minutes to make sure their not playing angry birds or some other non educational game like that. I warned them if they did they would never get to use the iPad again and never had a problem with that. I haven't brought it in this school year yet cause they are slower at getting their work done this year so no time to let them play one of the educational games.

A kindle however that could only be used for downloading books I think would be fine for a young child.

pinkster73
06-25-12, 09:10 AM
Exactly, having an iPad mini has nothing to do with asking how your grandparents are.

IPads also have good educational apps for children to play. I don't think a 7-10 year old needs their own iPad but to use their parents to play educational games or read books on is great. Last school term I brought my own ipad2 into school and if a student has been good then the last ten minutes of class if they've finished their work I'll let them sit at the back of the classroom and play a phonics game, spelling game, read a story etc. I do turn the Internet connection off lol and check on them every few minutes to make sure their not playing angry birds or some other non educational game like that. I warned them if they did they would never get to use the iPad again and never had a problem with that. I haven't brought it in this school year yet cause they are slower at getting their work done this year so no time to let them play one of the educational games.

A kindle however that could only be used for downloading books I think would be fine for a young child.

What? Angry birds isn't educational?

Speaking of educational, the other day I mentioned to my Aunt how beautiful her dicentra were. :p

sourlicorice2
06-25-12, 09:55 AM
What? Angry birds isn't educational?

Speaking of educational, the other day I mentioned to my Aunt how beautiful her dicentra were. :p

ok I'm going to have to google dicentra lol :p

sourlicorice2
06-25-12, 09:57 AM
ok I'm going to have to google dicentra lol :p

ahh a plant. ok I've learned my new word for the day lol :p

pinkster73
06-25-12, 10:57 AM
ahh a plant. ok I've learned my new word for the day lol :p

Dicentra are the bleeding hearts in farm. But you sound oh so smart if you call them dicentra. Or pretentious.

lylahmae
06-25-12, 03:25 PM
Dicentra are the bleeding hearts in farm. But you sound oh so smart if you call them dicentra. Or pretentious.

So are you saying TL is smart... or pretentious?

purpsandherb
06-26-12, 04:35 AM
to all who commented on my-grandparents bein left out because technology is taking are culture-post thank you for your input all sides were heard. I think the point here is human interaction. how many of are kids in are life post weekly 'what they are up too' on face book? I find that scary for any kid under 18. they are not mature enough to make a decision on what's ok to post and what's not. these days any one will fight u for looking at them 'somehow'. or even for wearing something. my family will no longer have any one speaking there language, besides english, by the next generation. so what values do we teach?

sourlicorice2
06-26-12, 09:43 AM
to all who commented on my-grandparents bein left out because technology is taking are culture-post thank you for your input all sides were heard. I think the point here is human interaction. how many of are kids in are life post weekly 'what they are up too' on face book? I find that scary for any kid under 18. they are not mature enough to make a decision on what's ok to post and what's not. these days any one will fight u for looking at them 'somehow'. or even for wearing something. my family will no longer have any one speaking there language, besides english, by the next generation. so what values do we teach?

Now this post makes sense. you're first one was not as clear and seemed silly (no offense)

I agree with it being scary for kids of a certain age to be on Facebook. I know some of my 10 year old students are on it. I friended them on Facebook once i found out (I set them on restricted so they can't see much of my page. Lol I even had one ask me why I had only a few photo albums which I had set to public and nothing else and then had to explain to them. luckily they havent figured out how to do that themselves otherwise they'd probably set me on restricted to lol). I basically friended them so I can supervise their wall as they are Thai students and some of their parents don't speak English. that way their parents can supervise what they post in Thai (whether they do or not, I dont know) and I can supervise what they post in English. I have already had a conversation with one student who posted an English swear word and told them to remove it or I'd let their parents know. They did remove it and haven't had an issue like that again.
If it was up to me I'd never had allowed them on Facebook but it's not up to me unfortunately.

pinkster73
06-26-12, 09:49 AM
I am "friended" on my kids Facebook pages so I can stalk them. Their Dad and Grandma are as well. Wa ah ah, I'm a stalker.

sourlicorice2
06-26-12, 09:52 AM
I am "friended" on my kids Facebook pages so I can stalk them. Their Dad and Grandma are as well. Wa ah ah, I'm a stalker.

lol guess I'm a stalker to lol.

sweetstuff525
06-26-12, 10:06 AM
I be friended my younger brothers and sister 12, 14 and 17 but I stalk the 14 yr old more since he tries to act cool and say comments. Which I think make him look dumb and irrespectful... But I don't see no point since my mother gives In right away after she supposedly "grounded" him

sourlicorice2
06-26-12, 10:45 AM
I be friended my younger brothers and sister 12, 14 and 17 but I stalk the 14 yr old more since he tries to act cool and say comments. Which I think make him look dumb and irrespectful... But I don't see no point since my mother gives In right away after she supposedly "grounded" him

sounds like my mother almost. she'd ground me and I wouldn't be allowed to go out but I could have friends over lol. I think after going through what my older sister and brother put her through she was just happy I wasn't sneaking out at night or throwing parties while they went out for the evening.

lylahmae
06-26-12, 06:31 PM
I am the oldest sibling by 5 and 7 years and I always tell my brother and sister they are lucky to have had me break in our parents for them.

pinkster73
06-26-12, 07:02 PM
I am the oldest sibling by 5 and 7 years and I always tell my brother and sister they are lucky to have had me break in our parents for them.

I am also the breaker inner of my parents. I had way more rules. By the third daughter my mom was WAY more relaxed.

jay1314
06-26-12, 09:38 PM
Kinda dumb in my opinion wasn't that kinda the point of the iPad