PDA

View Full Version : Neighbour etiquette.

Joey1963
03-27-12, 09:01 AM
Fellow RS devotees,

How long have you waited before deciding to delete non-playing/tipping neighbours?
I have 70 neighbours of whom 32 never seem to tip or gift. A couple of these have only my name appearing on their walls.
I realise that having so many neighbours means that there are times when people cannot send gifts.
I also realise that RS is only a game and that people can have very busy lifestyles but I'm wondering am I stupid to sit down for 2 hours after work every day tipping and gifting people who can't seem to return the favour, even on a second daily or weekly basis?
I'm flying overseas with my hubby on holidays next week and I won't be able to spend 2 hours a day tipping and gifting. I do have a little group of buddies however whom I will MAKE the effort to tip and gift. I fully expect that upon my return home my restaurant will have dropped off neighbour's lists. I'm fine with that, considering the fact that it will be Easter and there may be requests from neighbours for materials to build things that I simply won't be able to honour.

Could I have your thoughts and comments please...

veenilla
03-27-12, 09:16 AM
I usually wait a 3-7 days and then delete them. You can add more to have 70 neighbors who tip/gift you everyday :D
It's more fun when you tip people and they tip you back.

pastrychef17
03-27-12, 09:22 AM
I delete in spurts. Sometimes I leave non-tippers for awhile, especially since I don't tip 0 star neighbors anyway and only occasionally tip 1 star neighbors. I tip everyone else almost daily. But when I get tired of it, especially when I know they're still playing (tables are cleared daily, food is cooking) and they're simply not tipping and either not gifting or not able to get a gift through because I'm maxed out, I'll delete. I used to not really care if they tipped or not but I do have some wonderful neighbors who always tip even if I'm maxed out on gifts and I've decided I'd rather have more neighbors like them than the 0 or 1 star players. That said, if someone was a 3 or 4 star player and only recently dropped to 0 star, I'll leave them for at least 2-3 weeks. People get busy, they have lives and can't always play. Sometimes they'll leave a note that they're away for awhile so I'll keep them as neighbors. I really try to keep my number of neighbors down so if I accept a more active player, I'll drop a 0 star neighbor sooner rather than later. I'm so picky now because I don't want any more new neighbors that I'll only accept 4-star players and then only if I have a 0 star neighbor I need to delete. Net net I'm trying not to increase the number of neighbors I already have.

aiyayu
03-27-12, 09:29 AM
if you notice you are the only one on their wall and they have rotten food, then they have definitely quit and can be deleted right away. When it is questionable, write "quit?" and if they haven't responded after you wrote that on their wall 3 times then you can delete then without guilt too. Scan walls for quit/vacation messages.

As for the gifting thing, it is kind of hard to penalize people for not gifting back because at some point you receive 20 gifts and then people can't send to you. If you have a lot of people who send right at reset or early morning, then other people don't get a chance. Or some people have too many neighbors and are lazy about gifting (and tipping too usually.) Use your best judgement.

keviPad
03-27-12, 09:51 AM
I only keep 20-25 neighbors. I tip/gift daily and I complete all holiday goals pretty easy. Level 96, 25 appliance slots. Its easier to remember your neighbors and i feel builds better relationship.

keviPad
03-27-12, 10:00 AM
Oh and I 20-25 neighbors allows me to keep a 4star rating. If i dont tip get many 3tip visitors that day to tip back i may drop down to 3star rating briefly.

Joey1963
03-28-12, 03:31 AM
Thankyou all very much for your input.

I must admit it never occurred to me to refrain from tipping 0 and 1 star neighbours. I took this approach tonight and it cut down my tipping time considerably.
When visiting neighbours I do check their walls for messages re imminent holidays, time away and such.
I also took the plunge and deleted the neighbours whom have had rotten food on their appliances for upwards of 3 weeks.
Consequently my neighbour list now totals 56 with the possibility that it may drop significantly further.
If I could maintain a number of around 30(ish) then I'd be happy.

fecsuper
03-28-12, 05:01 AM
Thankyou all very much for your input.

Hello. because of your thread, I decided to write a new thread to share information, please check it
http://forums.teamlava.com/showthread.php?26387-CHAIN-tipping-increase-your-Tip-Backs-and-maintain-a-4-Start-profile

pefk
03-28-12, 06:03 AM
On my wall for BS & RS, I have a message that says "every Wednesday I remove anyone from 0-2 stars". Harsh, but I know who my longest NBRS are & can have nobody complaining..

RoseMeyer
03-28-12, 08:01 AM
'wondering am I stupid to sit down for 2 hours after work every day tipping and gifting people who can't seem to return the favour, even on a second daily or weekly basis?'

Girlfriend, you said it, you came HOME from WORK. This should be fun, NOT work, you decide how much tipping you want to do and when.

pastrychef17
03-28-12, 09:14 AM
I must admit it never occurred to me to refrain from tipping 0 and 1 star neighbours. I took this approach tonight and it cut down my tipping time considerably.

Yes, this also equalizes things - if my 0 star neighbors don't tip me, I figure they're not tipping anybody so I'm not tipping them either as they shouldn't benefit if they're not making the effort. They could either have a hard time tipping due to force closes or don't have the time or don't want to bother. Regardless, I don't bother tipping them. I used to tip everyone who sent me a gift regardless of whether they tipped me or not but I stopped doing that and now I tip whoever tips me plus my 3 & 4 star neighbors as I figure they're tipping someone to get that rating and I don't mind/care if it's me or not, at least they're tipping. I still gift everyone though that I can but gifting is easier than tipping.

sweetshandy
03-28-12, 09:25 AM
me too its so frustrated we make the work money for the nvr but no favor back

Purplum
03-28-12, 09:38 AM
Generally, the way I handle neighbors:

If they are still baking/cooking: I keep them - even if they don't tip me & they have zero stars. WIth the daily gift limit, it's hard to tell who is not gifting. I know some people just do not have the time to tip back (or don't enjoy it). Maybe their husband/boyfriend is always yelling at them to get off their phone (like mine, lol).

If their ovens / appliances are moldy or empty for over a week or two (and they haven't left a message on their own or my wall saying they are away), I delete them. Unless, they're a longtime neighbor, then I'll give them a lot longer - usually a month or more.

When I'm tipping, I tip the people who post on my wall & are in my current newsfeed first. Then if I have time, I go back and tip my 4 star neighbors. About once every week or two or three, I go through and tip all of my neighbors (when I have a slow day at home & have the time), just so I can see who is still playing and who isn't.

As for my own tipping strategy -- depends which game I'm in. In Bakery Story, I'm tipping everyday. I love visiting my neighbors' bakeries & saying 'hi'. In Restaurant, Farm, & Fashion I tip back people who post on my wall & my 4 & 3 star neighbors -- generally a couple times a week. In City & Nightclub, I tip all of my non-zero star neighbors nearly everyday - but only because I don't have very many neighbors in those two games. In Pet & Zoo2, I only do tipping rounds when I'm trying to see who is actually still playing so I can weed my neighbor list down. I don't really care what my star rating is or what my neighbors ratings are.

sourlicorice2
03-28-12, 10:07 AM
I tip, clean, water all my nbrs who post on my wall and I post back. Then I tip, water, clean etc my other nbrs but don't post. If I have time then I'll post on everyone's wall regardless whether they posted or not. I just recently stopped visiting 0 to 1 star nbrs to cut back on my time unless they have posted on my wall or I see them in the newsfeed providing I remember to check the newsfeed.

As for deleting. I go through spurts. If I've had a long time nbr who was visiting and then stopped, I delete them after a month but if it's a nbr I'm hoping comes back I'll post on their wall asking them to reinvite me if they start playing again. I do have a couple I haven't deleted even though they r 0 stars cause one has let me know she's having personal issues of some sort or another and one who's young son is very sick and in the hospital so she can't play much except to cook and collect tips occasionally. I've had a few say they were going to be gone for a couple of weeks but it's been more than a month so I deleted them but left my ID on their wall if they want to reinvite me when they start playing again.

SugarOverdose
03-28-12, 10:51 AM
Hi :) Well for me, I play every day. Yes I'm an addict, lol, but RS, BS and ZS 2 are also a way to spend my time while staying in bed all the time (cauz of my ilness). Okay, I'm drifting of.

Like I said before, I'm a daily player. I actually gift all my nbrs right after reset so I'm sure I gift everybody. I really don't mind if I get gifted back by everyone, I'm maxed out always anyway. I also tip every nbr. Leaving a message when they're full. Coming back twice to see if I can already tip them. Nbrs who drop to 0-stars will be deleted but I'll add them back if I see they're playing again. Of course there are exceptions whom I never delete even if they're inactive.

At the moment I've lost access to all games cauz I had to do a reset to factory data on my tablet. I'm waiting til TeamLava transfers back my games :) Hopefully today. *fingers crossed*

lehcar1
03-28-12, 02:41 PM
I couldn't care less about tipping or gifting. Tipping requires too much work just to maintain star ratings, which isn't really worth doing. I wouldn't mind not receiving tips because tapping each table is annoying and the look of it isn't nice either. I want to see the meals on the table not covered by some loose change. I gift only because I want to get rid of the list of gifts I received which I do by "Gift back". I will not delete a neighbor because of a minor issue. All I care about is having a neighbor who is an active player and is there to "Accept" a gift request when I need it.

Joey1963
03-28-12, 03:06 PM
Thankyou everyone, you've all helped me considerably with your tipping & gifting stategies.

My one question for you all now is...
What is your approach with neighbours who are obviously playing, ie cooking & clearing their tables and levelling up but who never appear in your news feed or on your wall as having visited, yet they send you requests for materials? Do you honour their request?
In the past I've always honoured all requests (I guess that's why I get so many) but now I'm starting to wonder if that's the right way to go.
When I get a request what I do is gift the item they want and then accept their request so that they get two from me.

DAmanding
03-28-12, 03:39 PM
Thankyou everyone, you've all helped me considerably with your tipping & gifting stategies.

What is your approach with neighbours who are obviously playing, ie cooking & clearing their tables and levelling up but who never appear in your news feed or on your wall as having visited, yet they send you requests for materials? Do you honour their request?
In the past I've always honoured all requests (I guess that's why I get so many) but now I'm starting to wonder if that's the right way to go.
When I get a request what I do is gift the item they want and then accept their request so that they get two from me.

I personally don't keep neighbors who only take without giving. But if you're willing to keep neighbors who don't visit you or gift you, you should probably accept their request anyway since they might be accepting yours. There is no way to tell who is accepting or declining requests.

pastrychef17
03-28-12, 03:40 PM

I do the same thing as you with regards to accepting the request and gifting the same part. I'm having the same issue with 3 neighbors - they're building multiple appliances so I literally get a request from them every single day and have for weeks. They're 0 star players, never tip, never write on my wall, and never read my wall (and I know this because I've asked not to be gifted gold springs, shamrocks etc and that's what they send). The only reason I've kept them for so long is they gift early enough after reset that I usually get a parts gift from them. As long as it's something I specifically didn't ask for, I accept it. But, like I said in my earlier post, I also have neighbors who gift AND tip and don't ask for something every single day. I'd rather have more of those kinds of neighbors than the other kind. I haven't deleted them yet but if I end up adding more 4-star, parts-gifting neighbors, I just might. On the other hand, if I ever did need to send a parts request, they're the first 3 I'm sending them too, lol.

dalula
03-28-12, 03:41 PM
I only accept 3-4 star players. if i'm feeling nice i will accept 2 stars, but i usually only accept 4 stars. I only delete 0 stars and people who havent been on for a while.

starstar2
03-28-12, 04:03 PM
Gifting n accept request parts are top priority due to many appliances n even items which need parts.
Thus neighbours who able to do this fulfill the minimum criteria as a neighbour.
However with extra tipping to maintain at least 3 star shows that he is still tipping actively n is a good neighbour.
The best neighbour will be those extra writing on wall after tipping daily.
As for me, I just a good neighbour as I seldom write on wall after tip.

lehcar1
03-28-12, 05:13 PM
The best neighbors are the active ones regardless of tipping, commenting and gifting activity. I only ask that you maintain your restaurant and accept my requests. Zero stars welcome! (psst.. add me)

oreo1981
03-28-12, 08:09 PM
I remove people when they reach 0 stars..

I hold on to 1-2 star people incase their real life is busy at the moment..

I tip 3 stars and over.

moda999
03-29-12, 05:54 AM
Really interesting to see how people play. I tend to leave 0 star players a while in case real life makes it difficult for them to play then after a few weeks delete if they don't seem to be very active. What I am finding difficult at the moment is feeling forced into having more neighbors than I want so I can expand which now makes me hesitate lol. I'm thinking 0 star neighbors may be worth hanging onto as I can st ignore them lol.

The ones that do make me reach for the delete button are those 2 or 3 star neighbors (usually 3 star) who do not seem to tip or gift ever!! There have been times I could monitor my newsfeed so I know they haven't visited but they cook and clear their tables. I think they have so many neighbours they only bother returning some visits to others and so manage to keep a 2 or 3 star rating without being a good neighbor imho. I just wish we could have as many neighbors as we choose but instead I might have to increase my numbers just to expand!!

music908
04-01-12, 04:28 PM
I'm not that serious about tipping, so I only delete neighbors when I run out of room. I gift everyone everyday, and I don't think tipping is necessary to enjoy the game. I really dislike it though when neighbors come to my wall and say things like "Look, you are playing the game wrong. I tip you, you're supposed to tip back" I play these games to enjoy myself and have a little fun. I don't think it should be "right" or "wrong" whether you tip or not.

kahlan531
04-09-12, 10:27 PM
Gifting n accept request parts are top priority due to many appliances n even items which need parts.
Thus neighbours who able to do this fulfill the minimum criteria as a neighbour.
However with extra tipping to maintain at least 3 star shows that he is still tipping actively n is a good neighbour.
The best neighbour will be those extra writing on wall after tipping daily.
As for me, I just a good neighbour as I seldom write on wall after tip.

Star, you are a GREAT neighbor!!

nixxmom
04-10-12, 02:48 AM
Don't count neighbors that don't always leave a message on your walls out you guys. Currently I'm playing 4 different games- Zoo Story 2, Pet Story, Bakery Story and of course Restaurant Story. I keep my ratings at 3 for ZS2 and PS and ALWAYS at 4 for BS and RS. I gift and tip every single day to all games but because of this I very seldom write on anyones walls unless you are either full or appear to have quit or you write on mine requiring a reply. I'd like to think I'm a good neighbor to have. I do agree though a great neighbor would be a daily gifter and tipper plus write on your wall letting you know they stopped by. I just don't have that much patience.

sholee
04-10-12, 03:57 AM
I'm not that serious about tipping, so I only delete neighbors when I run out of room. I gift everyone everyday, and I don't think tipping is necessary to enjoy the game. I really dislike it though when neighbors come to my wall and say things like "Look, you are playing the game wrong. I tip you, you're supposed to tip back" I play these games to enjoy myself and have a little fun. I don't think it should be "right" or "wrong" whether you tip or not.

Hmm I dont keep track of who tips me back and what not besides the people who regularly write on my wall. Through my 75+ neighbors, i'm sure some don't tip back unfortunately but i agree with you that tips arn't that big of a deal. I personally enjoy tipping all my neighbors & strangers btwn cook times. I make sure to gift all my neighbors as well as write on their wall to show them i dropped by. I like interacting with my neighbors, and some of them leave some funny witty comments back on my wall which makes having neighbors fun. I usually only keep 3-4 star players because it shows they're active whether or not they tip/gift me everyday. But what i find annoying sometimes is when I tell a neighbor not to send me food, just any materials would be fine but they still do it anyways... and it's not even stew they send, they'll send french toast or something... I'm planning on deleting these neighbors in the future

ironcolt24
04-12-12, 12:29 AM
Great point. The fact that I have no life or a job I spend a lot of time playing. I have a chart that I keep to show who tips/gifts. At the end of the week I post on my wall the top 3 nbrs. I enjoy it and I let others know where they stand. I keep100 nbrs and with this system it allows me to use a revolving door. Please keep this in mind...it's a game. My only regret we can't do this with our real neighbors...lol

flora516
04-12-12, 05:44 AM
I have lots of neighbors and they are always in alphabetical order. I wish there was a way that if I make it to the K's on the 1st day I could start with the L's the next day. That way I can make sure I am visiting all my neighbors. Right now I have to scroll down to the L's each time I go to tip and its just easier and more time efficient to click in alphabetical order.