PDA

View Full Version : Are you smarter than a fifth grader?

atlantisonearth
03-22-12, 06:30 PM
TeamLava version!

I will post questions that you should know. These questions will consist of science, math, and grammar questions. The levels will not be restricted to fifth grade, they may go up to 8th grade or even high school! You must answer them correctly. The first person to state the correct answer gains a point. The person with the most points wins. I will post your current point balance after every question.

There will be 50 rounds.

Please note: I am aware of the fact that it is simple to just type in what you are looking for on google. If your self-goal is to ***** at a virtual game with no significant cash or currency prizes (except for bragging rights), then so be it. This will be just a contest of a few *****ers who wish to straighten their googling s****s. I wish for this not to happen.

Now I will accept up to 15 players. PM me if you would like to participate. Players are based on a first-come first-serve basis.

PM me (http://forums.teamlava.com/private.php?do=newpm)

atlantisonearth
03-23-12, 06:14 PM
Okay accepting 12 more participants.

RealFarmer1222
03-23-12, 06:41 PM
These questions will consist of science, math, and grammar questions.

OH...bring it on like Donkey Kong!!!!

Did you get my PM yet, Atlantis??? Two of those three are my best subjects and I will NOT google an answer!

atlantisonearth
03-23-12, 07:24 PM
Haha if you use google then you are most definitely NOT smarter than a fifth grader!

greygull
03-23-12, 07:27 PM
Haha if you use google then you are most definitely NOT smarter than a fifth grader!

I think my sixth grader son would have to disagree with that - almost anything he asks me, I tell him to Google ;)

atlantisonearth
03-23-12, 07:32 PM
Only 9 spots left!

RealFarmer1222
03-23-12, 07:48 PM
Well, I have to agree with Rachel on this one (OMG...did I just say that!)

While Google is great for researching some esoteric fact...like what A Toby Jug is or the scientific name of a moose, an individual needs to be well-grounded in facts, not merely acquainted with means of acquiring them.

And then, of course, there is maleability(sp) of "facts" in the digital world that would give Orwell's Thought Police a field day. Atlantis's crude attempt to rig the Big Panda game is only a minor example of the havoc a malevolent force could wreck.

viviansmo
03-23-12, 07:52 PM
While Google is great for researching some esoteric fact...like what A Toby Jug is or the scientific name of a moose, an individual needs to be well-grounded in facts, not merely acquainted with means of acquiring them.

Alces... I learned something new today thanks to your googling! Only I'm more likely to use it in words with friends then anywhere else. :)

viviansmo
03-23-12, 07:53 PM
*than... Maybe grammar isn't my strong suit.

Ic3e
03-24-12, 12:02 AM
I've gotten A's on English the past school year, I think I got grammar in the bag...besides I still have my textbooks :)

RealFarmer1222
03-24-12, 06:37 AM
Well, not to brag...OK, I'm bragging...knowledge contests bring out my ego, BIG TIME.....but I got A's in Honors English all throughout high school. Of course, we only did grammar when the teacher was mad at us, but I do know a participle from a gerund.

atlantisonearth
03-24-12, 07:50 AM
Well, not to brag...OK, I'm bragging...knowledge contests bring out my ego, BIG TIME.....but I got A's in Honors English all throughout high school. Of course, we only did grammar when the teacher was mad at us, but I do know a participle from a gerund.

Not to brag... Honors English through High School? I was in the Honors Roll in every class ever since Honors was thought up!

And guys... Beware... I have a PhD in Marine Biology and its my faaaaaavorite thing, so expect to see plenty of science and aquatic life questions...

queentina3
03-24-12, 08:23 AM
Not to brag... Honors English through High School? I was in the Honors Roll in every class ever since Honors was thought up!

And guys... Beware... I have a PhD in Marine Biology and its my faaaaaavorite thing, so expect to see plenty of science and aquatic life questions...

I'm not playing but I just wanted to comment on your Marine Biology. My 21 year old son graduates this May from college with his Bachelors in Marine Biology. He's been interested in it since he was 2 years old and his first trip on my parents boat. :) He eventually wants to go for his PhD in it, and does A LOT of diving, working with the people from Wood's Hole (trips over the summers since he was a Freshman in HS), and goes to the Caribbean Islands, Southern California, or Mexico at least twice a year. I think you and I chatted about this before, didn't we? Or did I just dream this conversation? :p

He spent this past fall in Bermuda for a work study/course and this spring he's doing his internship at the Boston Aquarium and finishing up his last classes. Him and my parents went to Cozumel for the college spring break! I so wanted to go as well, but we couldn't afford for me, my hubby, and the other 2 boys and I didn't want to leave the hubby with these 2 monsters alone for a week, not sure what I would've come home to. LOL!!!

I'm so very very proud of him. Can you tell? :)

pinkster73
03-24-12, 09:25 AM

You have a Phd? Aren't you 22?

MiniLaura
03-24-12, 10:44 AM
I am smarter than a fifth grader, but I'm concerned about the time-dependent nature of your game. I cannot be on the forum constantly waiting for a question.

Are you going to post the questions at a set time? For example, give players a 24-hour notice or always post the question at the same time every day?

Actually, I think it would be nice if you gave everyone who got a question right a point. That way you could see who is actually the smartest and not just the fastest.

atlantisonearth
03-24-12, 02:57 PM
I'm not playing but I just wanted to comment on your Marine Biology. My 21 year old son graduates this May from college with his Bachelors in Marine Biology. He's been interested in it since he was 2 years old and his first trip on my parents boat. :) He eventually wants to go for his PhD in it, and does A LOT of diving, working with the people from Wood's Hole (trips over the summers since he was a Freshman in HS), and goes to the Caribbean Islands, Southern California, or Mexico at least twice a year. I think you and I chatted about this before, didn't we? Or did I just dream this conversation? :p

He spent this past fall in Bermuda for a work study/course and this spring he's doing his internship at the Boston Aquarium and finishing up his last classes. Him and my parents went to Cozumel for the college spring break! I so wanted to go as well, but we couldn't afford for me, my hubby, and the other 2 boys and I didn't want to leave the hubby with these 2 monsters alone for a week, not sure what I would've come home to. LOL!!!

I'm so very very proud of him. Can you tell? :)

I think that convo was a dream :p

Yes I can tell :D WOW, my job is local, I dont get to go Bermuda :(:p

You have a Phd? Aren't you 22?

I am 25... Long, personal story... I mainly skipped 2 grades and as soon as I left High School I went into a 1-year PhD course. I also got a Bachelors in Architecture (my "dead" job) and that took me about another year.

Gosh I am still paying my school bills! ~8 more years to go!

I am smarter than a fifth grader, but I'm concerned about the time-dependent nature of your game. I cannot be on the forum constantly waiting for a question.

Are you going to post the questions at a set time? For example, give players a 24-hour notice or always post the question at the same time every day?

Actually, I think it would be nice if you gave everyone who got a question right a point. That way you could see who is actually the smartest and not just the fastest.

I think this is a good idea. I will give everyone 24 hours to PM me the answer. The time of when I will post is TBD.

**Note: I will never post questions or answers on weekends.**

atlantisonearth
03-24-12, 02:58 PM
Sorry I dont have ~8 years to go... lol

RealFarmer1222
03-24-12, 03:11 PM

Well, I was HS co-Valedictictorian (three of us had 4.0 GPA) and a college BS that I was telling queentina about, but biology isn't my strong suit. I haven't, to the best of my knowledge, managed to even re-produce yet.

sparks229
03-24-12, 03:29 PM
So ...... how many more spots if any left?

atlantisonearth
03-24-12, 06:40 PM
6 left! :)

pinkster73
03-24-12, 07:29 PM
Well, I was HS co-Valedictictorian (three of us had 4.0 GPA) and a college BS that I was telling queentina about, but biology isn't my strong suit. I haven't, to the best of my knowledge, managed to even re-produce yet.

Note - to your knowledge :o

mtytomlinson
03-25-12, 01:15 AM
I'm grade 9, can I join? Haha

Ic3e
03-25-12, 01:17 AM
I'm grade 9, can I join? Haha

You have to PM atlantis

Rachael98
03-25-12, 01:24 AM
Well, I'm *walks through atmospheric mist* Rachael98.

So there.

RealFarmer1222
03-25-12, 07:39 AM
*walks through atmospheric mist* .

Pppphhhheeeewwwww!!!!!! Rachael must have had beans for supper!

:::holds nose:::

Ic3e
03-25-12, 08:25 AM
Pppphhhheeeewwwww!!!!!! Rachael must have had beans for supper!

:::holds nose:::

This made me do all kinds of lulzy things! I laughed until my side hurt :cool:

Okay well my turn for my entrance!...

INTRODUCING THE AMAZING *breaks through giant wall of ice*, IC3E!!!!!!

WOOT!!!!! ^030^ ^>w<^ ^TTwTT^ <------- Mah virtual fans...

RealFarmer1222
03-25-12, 10:00 AM
*breaks through giant wall of ice*

:::picks up shards of ice::::

Thanx!....the ice maker is broken.

viviansmo
03-25-12, 10:16 AM
well... I... uh... oh yeah, I have an Associates degree in computer programming. how's that for a start? I really need to go back to school...

But I'll show all you educated ones what a self-taught woman is capable of. or humiliate myself in the attempt.

jellybelly2001
03-25-12, 12:12 PM
I am a fifth grader and I want to c if I'm smarter than me

dalula
03-26-12, 03:28 PM
Im just concerned about the timing because i cant be on here the whole day. I have my life too :p

atlantisonearth
03-26-12, 03:58 PM
Something came up at home. Postponed for 7 days. So sorry everyone.

atlantisonearth
04-01-12, 04:59 PM
sorry. due to issues with other users its cancelled.

TheHelpfulPlace
04-02-12, 09:01 AM
I am 25... Long, personal story... I mainly skipped 2 grades and as soon as I left High School I went into a 1-year PhD course. I also got a Bachelors in Architecture (my "dead" job) and that took me about another year.

Gosh I am still paying my school bills! ~8 more years to go!

What college did you go to? Only one year to get a PhD?
It usually takes quite a while (I.E many years) to get a PhD, and not to mention all of the requirements you must meet before you can even start the courses..

Anyways I guess I'll enter. PM me when the contest begins.

TheHelpfulPlace
04-02-12, 09:04 AM
sorry. due to issues with other users its cancelled.

Never mind. Just saw this message.