PDA

View Full Version : Real Farming with.....RealFarmer

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RealFarmer1222
03-20-12, 08:10 AM
While Spring hasn't officially sprung, it is getting springy.

I figure it's time to start a thread, lest I continue to pollute other threads with my ubiquitous farming comments. I plan on posting pics of my activites throughout the year.

Feel free to question/comment/kibbitz/criticize.

Today, I'm going to try to finish my plowing as soon as the dew burns off.

pinkster73
03-20-12, 08:17 AM
It is officially spring today isn't it?

pinkster73
03-20-12, 08:17 AM
Oh nevermind. I thought it was the 22nd.

sweetstuff525
03-20-12, 08:22 AM
its today

pinkster73
03-20-12, 08:23 AM
Oh right. I knew that. I was testing everyone else.

kattybell
03-20-12, 08:48 AM
Oh right. I knew that. I was testing everyone else.

Lol. I was going to say that it is. And that's awesome RealFarmer, I want to build a greenhouse this year. :)

RealFarmer1222
03-20-12, 09:05 AM
OMG...it HAS sprung!!!

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/everything-you-need-to-know-vernal-or-spring-equinox

I didn't think it was until later in the day!

:::shakes head in shame::::

RealFarmer1222
03-20-12, 09:10 AM
Lol. I was going to say that it is. And that's awesome RealFarmer, I want to build a greenhouse this year. :)

Still putting the finishing touches on mine.....

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/gh.jpg

Time to eat, then go plow

pinkster73
03-20-12, 09:17 AM
I can't start my farming until the snow goes. The rule here is don't plant anything until after the may long weekend. Even after that sometimes we get frost. I have special old bedsheets I use to cover my pretty flowers and plants on frost warning nights.

kattybell
03-20-12, 09:18 AM
I can't start my farming until the snow goes. The rule here is don't plant anything until after the may long weekend. Even after that sometimes we get frost. I have special old bedsheets I use to cover my pretty flowers and plants on frost warning nights.

Aw, that's pretty cool about the bedsheets. Where I am, I think we're going to have a HOT summer since it's been nice these past two weeks. That's what the people say anyways..

EricasYummys
03-20-12, 09:24 AM
I have a farmy type question for you when your able. Btw, when I first saw this I thought I was going TL see your various body parts on here + pinksters mustachio ha ha!

pinkster73
03-20-12, 09:32 AM
I have a farmy type question for you when your able. Btw, when I first saw this I thought I was going TL see your various body parts on here + pinksters mustachio ha ha!

I don't have a mustache!!!!!

queentina3
03-20-12, 09:45 AM

Most New Hampsherites have the rule of "don't plant until after Patriots Day", and that is only for the southerners, the northerners are like you Canadians, waiting until Mid-Late May to attempt any planting. :p

viviansmo
03-20-12, 12:10 PM
Here in California, we plant in feb. teehee.

EricasYummys
03-20-12, 12:16 PM
I don't have a mustache!!!!!

Ha ha ha The mustache catapillar you made- or we're those super fluffy eyebrows? Ha ha

pinkster73
03-20-12, 12:19 PM
Ha ha ha The mustache catapillar you made- or we're those super fluffy eyebrows? Ha ha

It's realfarmers mustache. Maybe in about a year I'll have enough parts to frankenstein up a picture of him.

cortnylyn
03-20-12, 12:31 PM
It has been extremely warm here for this time of year, but it was great since all the ewes lambed now had a great crop of triplets which ment some bottle lambs but such is farm life. We did till the garden already, lil early? maybe so but its done. I recall one year in April when I was younger it snowed almost 12feet in couple days, so it could happen again lol

EricasYummys
03-20-12, 01:00 PM
It's realfarmers mustache. Maybe in about a year I'll have enough parts to frankenstein up a picture of him.

And we could could put him on location ha ha in the greenhouse, hanging off the roof, by a barn ha ha oh, when the keyboard is fixed.....

RealFarmer1222
03-20-12, 01:08 PM
The plow is in the barn....the plow is the barn....

The rule of thumb/old wives tale here is don't plant until after the full moon in May, which is early this year (May 5). Of course lettuce and onions are exceptions (already planted some of those), as well as cabbage and potatoes.

My brother in CT says he plans on planting his spuds this week, but I think that's too early. I planted them early one year, they came , got frosted (which doesn't hurt them), but then got frosted a second time (which DID seem to hurt them), so I wait until the second week in April. You'll be seeing alot of them in the next few weeks.

queentina3
03-20-12, 01:10 PM

The rule of thumb/old wives tale here is don't plant until after the full moon in May, which is early this year (May 5). Of course lettuce and onions are exceptions (already planted some of those), as well as cabbage and potatoes.

My brother in CT says he plans on planting his spuds this week, but I think that's too early. I planted them early one year, they came , got frosted (which doesn't hurt them), but then got frosted a second time (which DID seem to hurt them), so I wait until the second week in April. You'll be seeing alot of them in the next few weeks.

OMG this week! That is waaaay to early even for CT. Nobody in NH would even dare plant them before the 3rd week in April, at least not to my knowledge. Does he live close to the coast in CT or more inland? By the water I could MAYBE understand, not really, but inland he's going to have an issue if he does it this early. Wow.

EricasYummys
03-20-12, 01:12 PM
So, Realfarmer.... If you had a few acres that haven't ever been farmed (&rarely mowed), what crop would you suggest to grow to till under to fertilize the land? And only a yearly manure crop- it seems cruel to grow just to destroy.

EricasYummys
03-20-12, 01:15 PM
OMG this week! That is waaaay to early even for CT. Nobody in NH would even dare plant them before the 3rd week in April, at least not to my knowledge. Does he live close to the coast in CT or more inland? By the water I could MAYBE understand, not really, but inland he's going to have an issue if he does it this early. Wow.

You can plant early if you cover at night, put a tunnel on top, and/or use a cold box as needed. Even keeping a sprinkler on crops - if not below freezing can keep them

RealFarmer1222
03-20-12, 01:18 PM
We did till the garden already, lil early? l

Very warm here, too. Was wearing shorts while plowing.

As far as I'm concerned it's NEVER too early to plow/till. I'd prefer we get a nice frost now before I start disking. That helps break up the ground better, IMHO.

I have a farmy type question for you when your able.!

Ask away. Doesn't mean I'll answer it.

And sorry for being snippy in the Big Panda game yesterday, but you really, REALLY don't want to ever claim to speak for me.

Maybe in about a year I'll have enough parts to frankenstein up a picture of him.

You already HAVE! And you posted it on my profile! However, I might have "action" one my friend took me and we were flipping rocks.

EricasYummys
03-20-12, 01:21 PM
I didn't say you told me to answer for you. Maybe I wasn't clear enough that I was jokingly trying to help. Sorry if I offended you. I shall avoid your thread if that pleases you.

pinkster73
03-20-12, 01:24 PM
No no. Group hug.

RealFarmer1222
03-20-12, 01:36 PM
. I shall avoid your thread if that pleases you.

nonono....LOL...just DON'T it. It's a big pet peave of mine.

RealFarmer1222
03-20-12, 01:46 PM
So, Realfarmer.... If you had a few acres that haven't ever been farmed (&rarely mowed), what crop would you suggest to grow to till under to fertilize the land? And only a yearly manure crop- it seems cruel to grow just to destroy.

Hard to say with out seeing it or knowing what kind of soil you have, but buckwheat or rye make excellent cover crops round dese har parts. And you might even consider potatoes, they grow well in fresh sod.

If it's rarely been mowed, you might have to spray it with Roundup, or else you'll be fighting weeds all summer.

And, OF COURSE, plow it!

He's about 30 minutes north of New London. I advised him against it, but like I said, one frost after they come up doesn't hurt 'em. It fact, I think it actually helps them a bit. I'm tempted to plant some now myself, but have had poor crops the last two years and don't want to risk it.

pinkster73
03-20-12, 01:53 PM
Last year I spent about $150-175 planting my "farm" and the stupid bunnies ate it. All of it! So I got stupid bunny all natural repellent and I guess it tasted good because they ate what I replanted. Maybe this year I should plant plastic flowers.

piggiful
03-20-12, 01:57 PM
Oh wow, it took me a day to figure out you guys aren't talking about a game.........duh

viviansmo
03-20-12, 02:17 PM
Last year I spent about $150-175 planting my "farm" and the stupid bunnies ate it. All of it! So I got stupid bunny all natural repellent and I guess it tasted good because they ate what I replanted. Maybe this year I should plant plastic flowers.
Deer are worse than bunnies, imho, but so pretty.

queentina3
03-20-12, 02:59 PM
Actually chipmunks ruin my flower garden year after year, but I just don't have it in me to get rid of them. Now, I just plant stuff that they don't like as much, meaning anything that isn't a BULB or I buy from the greenhouses and just replant. They'll usually leave those things alone. I just wish I could plant my bulbs in the fall again for spring, but alas it is not to be. :(

RealFarmer1222
03-20-12, 04:50 PM
Deer are worse than bunnies, imho, but so pretty.

I agree on both counts. That's why I let hunters harvest them.

Although, after last year, when they wiped out 150 tomato plants, I'm considering getting a Mauser or .30 '06

pinkster73
03-20-12, 04:55 PM
I agree on both counts. That's why I let hunters harvest them.

Although, after last year, when they wiped out 150 tomato plants, I'm considering getting a Mauser or .30 '06

(Plugs ears) I can't hear you la la la la la la

RealFarmer1222
03-20-12, 05:18 PM
They really are a BIG problem here, pinkie, and in a bad winter alot of them starve or get hit on the roads

Note to self: Remember Hydraulic fluid is on sale this week. And don't forget to lock the shed door like you just did, doofus!!!!!!!

dunkelgelb.....dunkelgelb.......aaaaahhhhhh

pinkster73
03-20-12, 05:28 PM
Ok being hunted is better then starving. But I don't have to like it :(

RealFarmer1222
03-20-12, 08:44 PM
Some pics of the plowed ground I'll be working....

Probably Tomatoes, Peppers, beets, beans, etc. here....
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/garden1.jpg

Probably sweet corn and pumpkins here. The upper piece is what I plowed today. and NO, the pink house isn't mine, it's the neighbor's...
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/garden2.jpg

And the potato patch....
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/Potatofield.jpg

queentina3
03-20-12, 08:45 PM
Sure it is, sure it is. :p

viviansmo
03-20-12, 09:50 PM
and NO, the pink house isn't mine, it's the neighbor's...

Sure it is, sure it is. :p
Just what I was thinking. ;)

pinkster73
03-20-12, 09:53 PM
Your "neighbors" house is awesome!!!

RealFarmer1222
03-21-12, 05:11 AM
A lady who lived to be over 100 lived in the pink house. Her grandsons all helped out on farm when they were younger and two of them now have the auto shop where I take my car. A 30-something teacher who just got married lives there now.

I never really noticed it was pink until I posted these pics:o

pinkster73
03-21-12, 07:16 AM
I would SO live in that house. My husband not so much. But if I had to choose.......

shakiba
03-21-12, 02:05 PM
Farm shopping on FS: FUN!
Farm shopping i.r.l:BORING!!!

Its the same thing every year. My parents ends up draggine me to go to random markets to buy plants (mostly vegetables) and then in the hot sun my dad plows and plants them. I always have to help him plow and dig.

However, farming season is a little later from now.

sissy8
03-21-12, 02:11 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:so today it was sunny and i had my first sunbath of this year jummie:rolleyes::rolleyes:

RealFarmer1222
03-21-12, 04:25 PM
. I always have to help him plow

How do you "help him plow"?? When my dad did the plowing, I just got out of the way.....FAST!!!!

RealFarmer1222
03-21-12, 05:28 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:so today it was sunny and i had my first sunbath of this year jummie:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Today it was sunny and I nearly had my first sunBURN of the year. Thought my shirt might burst into flames!

I did get the greenhouse ready to roll though....

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/ghrtg.jpg

Anyone want to "pimp my ride"?????

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/ride.jpg

Maybe I'll paint it Dunkelgelb!

Oh...and one of the FIVE tools I used to work up the patch must have done some good. The bare-rooted crowns I planted Friday have leaves on them already! (too small yet for pics)

queentina3
03-21-12, 06:06 PM
Admit it RealFarmer, you stole that from a golf course, didn't ya!?

RealFarmer1222
03-21-12, 06:15 PM
Admit it RealFarmer, you stole that from a golf course, didn't ya!?

Nope, my Dad bought that off some guys were using for a political campaign (IIRC).

Now THEY might have stolen it from a golf course.....or the taxpayers.....

queentina3
03-21-12, 06:38 PM
taxpayers. :p

lylahmae
03-21-12, 07:02 PM
I know how some farmers can be about what color tractor is best..... so I wonder if you have an opinion on the subject? My grandfather is a retired dairy farmer had many different makes over the years but he still has a Massey Ferguson.

(Here in MI brand loyalty can get pretty intense with trucks/cars)

queentina3
03-21-12, 07:16 PM
Ohhhh, can we have the "pink" tractor debate again? It was just getting good when RealFarmer disappeared from that thread. :p

pinkster73
03-21-12, 07:22 PM
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i344/pinkster73/images-1-1.jpg

RealFarmer1222
03-21-12, 08:49 PM
I know how some farmers can be about what color tractor is best..... so I wonder if you have an opinion on the subject? My grandfather is a retired dairy farmer had many different makes over the years but he still has a Massey Ferguson.

(Here in MI brand loyalty can get pretty intense with trucks/cars)

IIRC, Massey Ferguson are repackaged Fords (It's blue/gray, right?)

The color on this farm has been International Red: Farmall Super H; International 300, International 400, International 460, International 560, Farmall Cub.

I also have Allis Chalbers G (that was supposed to fixed last year and still isn't) and the collection I inherited from my dad includes a Case WD, John Deere B, Cockshutt 30 (a Canadian Tractor!?!), Massey Harris 40?, Minneapolis-Moline Z? and an Oliver.

None of them are pink, although the Moline is sort of dunkelgelb.

RealFarmer1222
03-21-12, 08:54 PM
Oh......and the Farmall F-12 in the garage.

And a New Holland Skid-Loader( straight yellow,not dunkelgelb)

RealFarmer1222
03-21-12, 08:57 PM
Oh,,...and the 460 and 560 are Farmall's not International's.

Lest my Dad's ghost comes to haunt me.

pinkster73
03-21-12, 09:04 PM
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i344/pinkster73/PicsArt_1332388939496.png

lylahmae
03-21-12, 09:09 PM
No it's red. He did have a grey Ford at one time. Just the big red one left I know it's M F because my tractor obsessed daughter has to sit on it every time we go to visit....she asked grandpa if he is a farmer when he said yes she looked at him like he was a superhero and said "WOW you're cool!"

RealFarmer1222
03-21-12, 09:13 PM
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i344/pinkster73/PicsArt_1332388939496.png

Maybe, but the word is sssssssoooooo cool.

pinkster73
03-21-12, 09:19 PM
Maybe, but the word is sssssssoooooo cool.

Yes it is.

RealFarmer1222
03-21-12, 09:20 PM
No it's red. " The Massey Harris I have is red,too

There were Fords, then Ford-Ferguson's, then Massey-Ferguson's, the Massey-Harris

The Ford's must have been Blue/Gray, and the Massey's Red

That's the kind of stuff my dad knew off the top of his head.

lylahmae
03-21-12, 09:30 PM
Your dad sounds like he was a superhero farmer too:)

queentina3
03-22-12, 07:47 AM
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq269/bermuda-ken/IH%20TRACTORS/PINK-B.jpg

Pinkster and her pink tractor. :p

pinkster73
03-22-12, 07:48 AM
Awesome!!

RealFarmer1222
03-22-12, 09:45 AM
Your dad sounds like he was a superhero farmer too:)

He was quite the local legend.

RealFarmer1222
03-22-12, 09:45 AM
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq269/bermuda-ken/IH%20TRACTORS/PINK-B.jpg

Pinkster and her pink tractor. :p

Pretty sure that a Cub. Doesn't look like it has hydraulics, like mine.

Only women can get away with driving pink tractors!;)

swiep07
03-22-12, 05:54 PM
Wow! I want one! :)

kooky panda
03-22-12, 06:14 PM
Only women can get away with driving pink tractors!;)

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMyjyuy_30hzn_FyrPbktXKGkrqGL2m epJ2mtUhJn6Z4jLtFT7nw

atlantisonearth
03-22-12, 06:16 PM
Hmm well we already started planting cucumbers and strawberries here on our plantation

atlantisonearth
03-22-12, 06:17 PM
Hmm well we already started planting cucumbers and strawberries here on our plantation

Lol more like small farm with dirt scattered here and there... :p;)

swiep07
03-22-12, 06:20 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMyjyuy_30hzn_FyrPbktXKGkrqGL2m epJ2mtUhJn6Z4jLtFT7nw

OMG! This one is so cool!

RealFarmer1222
03-22-12, 06:21 PM
Well, here is what a Farmall Cub (with cultivators) looks like 'naturally'

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/cub.jpg

And I should clarify (lest a member of the IRS,FBI,SPCA,DAR, or John Birch society be lurking), my mother technically owns all the tractors. At 81 and with her bad knee, I doubt she'll be using them. I'm simply Chief Farm Laborer.

I'll soon be using this piece of equipment for my Champion field corn...
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/cshell.jpg

and I guess some would call this a "tractor", but to me it's just a mower...
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/mower.jpg

...used it some today after charging the battery (which I think might be shot)

pinkster73
03-22-12, 06:26 PM
Red is cool too!

swiep07
03-22-12, 06:26 PM
Do you also wear wooden shoes? Or is it really typical dutch? :)

RealFarmer1222
03-22-12, 06:36 PM

Cukes??? In MARCH?!?!?!?

They'll surely freeze.

RealFarmer1222
03-22-12, 06:39 PM
Do you also wear wooden shoes? Or is it really typical dutch? :)

Nope, Steel-toed sneakers.

The tulips should be blooming in the next coupla days.

swiep07
03-22-12, 06:41 PM
So something typical dutch after all :)
I love tulips! Pink and black ones!

RealFarmer1222
03-22-12, 06:43 PM

Okay, okay....AROUND THESE PARTS, only women can get away with driving pink tractors!

How's that????

bobbyrae
03-22-12, 08:24 PM
Cukes??? In MARCH?!?!?!?

They'll surely freeze.
I'm planting some cucumbers this weekend too. Already planted my beans and potatoes :p But then again, it's always summer here in the Windies. ;):cool:

I wish i could grow sweet peppers organically though. But those darn bugs!!! Grrrr! They get them everytime :(

RealFarmer1222
03-22-12, 09:04 PM
I wish i could grow sweet peppers organically though. But those darn bugs!!! Grrrr! They get them everytime :(

Sevin dust works pretty good for that here.

Don't know how it would work on fat tropical bugs.

RealFarmer1222
03-26-12, 08:01 AM
Speaking of peppers, he's some bell (California Wonder) peppers I transplanted yesterday in the greenhouse. Note how I started them in a little plastic tray that markets put doughnuts, baked goods, or produce in. These trays make EXCELLENT mini-greenhouses for starting seeds. (Just wash with bleach and dry thoroughly)

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/pep1.jpg

Also, Peppers require a high(70+) temperature to germinate, so I placed on the heating to aid in germination.

The Tulips are beginning to bloom (no pink ones, yet)...

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/tulips.jpg

...and it's the dawning of the Age of Asparagus!!!
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/DawnofAsp.jpg

pinkster73
03-27-12, 09:45 PM
I'm not even touching that asparagus with PhotoShop ha ha.

Anyway here's the green bean my daughter and I grew. Sooo much love and effort and it produced one huge green bean that was too heavy for it then passed away. We ate the green bean first of course.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i344/pinkster73/p_00039-1.jpg

TimeForACuppaTea
03-27-12, 10:14 PM
Oh I'm so jealous your getting started on your real farming. I got a pre-fab greenhouse for Christmas this year (some assembly required) and haven't even put it together yet. I fell and injured my knee in early February and it's not healed yet. Dr. says another 2 -3 weeks at least. So I'm not sure if I'll get to garden at all this season. I want to get out there so bad I can't stand it.

Hoping I can at least have a fall garden. I live in the burbs and just have a small garden, but I enjoy it. It's been unseasonably warm here in NC. Perfect to getting crops out a bit early, especially in my new greenhouse. What state (or zone) are you in Realfarmer? I'm in zone 7. Only lived here a couple years. Still learning what to plant when.

TimeForACuppaTea
03-27-12, 10:17 PM
Pink, that looks like my pepper plants from last year. Got only 1 big pepper from each plant.

I was hoping to have better luck with my tomatoes this year. What the ants didn't eat the squirrels clawed through. Nothing like going to pick a nice red tomato only to find claw marks down the side of it from a tiny paw. Was cute and annoying at the same time. :p

pinkster73
03-27-12, 10:20 PM
Pink, that looks like my pepper plants from last year. Got only 1 big pepper from each plant.

I was hoping to have better luck with my tomatoes this year. What the ants didn't eat the squirrels clawed through. Nothing like going to pick a nice red tomato only to find claw marks down the side of it from a tiny paw. Was cute and annoying at the same time. :p

Ah yes. My evil enemies of my farm (garden) are squirrels and bunnies (jack rabbits). So cute but so evil.

pinkster73
03-27-12, 10:43 PM
Realfarmer's asparagus Mexican style. Dos coba libres, rum blanco yeah

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i344/pinkster73/PicsArt_1332913177466.png

swiep07
03-27-12, 11:07 PM

Hahaha! Quite a nice tan, that fellow has! :p

RealFarmer1222
03-28-12, 11:22 AM
. What state (or zone) are you in Realfarmer? I'm in zone 7.

Western PA, Zone 5

Not to sound racist or anything, but I wish I had a few of him to help out! Honestly, Mexican workers REALLY WORK!

And I was really working yesterday. Got all the fields save one disked. Then, the 5 peach trees I ordered arrived and I had to dig the holes....

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/deepenough.jpg

and plant them (now you have my other leg!)...

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/peachtrees.jpg

Just as I was finishing, some prospective hunters stopped and proceded to BS with me until dark. Never did get the last field disked.

kattybell
03-28-12, 11:23 AM
[QUOTE=RealFarmer1222;269307]Not to sound racist or anything, but I wish I had a few of him to help out! Honestly, Mexican workers REALLY WORK![/IMG]

They do work hard. Hats off to them. I've planted rows with my fiance and it's hard work.

kattybell
03-28-12, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=RealFarmer1222;269307]Not to sound racist or anything, but I wish I had a few of him to help out! Honestly, Mexican workers REALLY WORK![/IMG]

They do work hard. Hats off to them. I've planted rows with my fiance and it's hard work.

Aw I messed it up. :(

pinkster73
03-28-12, 11:45 AM
A-ha! Proof you have 2 legs!

viviansmo
03-28-12, 02:38 PM
Are you sure it's not the same leg photoshopped to be mirror image, making it look like the right leg? I want to see both legs together to be sure.

aiyayu
03-28-12, 02:43 PM
Ah yes. My evil enemies of my farm (garden) are squirrels and bunnies (jack rabbits). So cute but so evil.
I got deer that wanders around time to time and eats my mom's tomatoes and my morning glories. They ate so much last year that I wasn't able to collect seeds when fall came T___T I need deer repellant tricks.

swiep07
03-28-12, 02:46 PM
What about arms? Do you have them too?

pinkster73
03-28-12, 02:59 PM

Yes, I have 2. Don't you????

swiep07
03-28-12, 03:01 PM
Sure! I do, but I'm not certain on realfarmer

pinkster73
03-28-12, 03:07 PM
Sure! I do, but I'm not certain on realfarmer

Oh I get it ha ha.

RealFarmer1222
03-28-12, 04:11 PM

Well, you have my thumb, so that implies I have at least one arm. But I'm expecting some full body pics any day now.

Now....Just skip on to the next post Pinkster....

I need deer repellant tricks.

12 Gauge 00 buckshot 'repels' them well.

pinkster73
03-28-12, 04:21 PM
Well, you have my thumb, so that implies I have at least one arm. But I'm expecting some full body pics any day now.

Now....Just skip on to the next post Pinkster....

12 Gauge 00 buckshot 'repels' them well.

I'll just pretend I didn't accidentally hear about your evil plot to murder Bambi.

wbkyoto
04-01-12, 07:13 PM
I am proud to say I planted a whole parsley plant this weekend. That's what spring will do to you.

RealFarmer1222
04-01-12, 07:23 PM
I am proud to say I planted a whole parsley plant this weekend. That's what spring will do to you.

Well, I got some onions in....and about 200 tomatoes started.

But you have to find your camera phone adapter and send me those pics of me on the skid loader.

pinkster73
04-01-12, 07:33 PM
I went out to check my dirt in my "farm" while the snow is melted and IT'S FULL OF SOMEONE'S CAT'S POO AND I'M MAD.

pinkster73
04-01-12, 07:35 PM
My kitties are all indoor only kitties and I scoop the litterbox twice a day and I don't appreciate having to clean up someone else's cat poo from my garden. Not just a couple turds either. It's FULL OF POO. I'm so grrr. Some people need a smack.

RealFarmer1222
04-01-12, 07:40 PM
I went out to check my dirt in my "farm" while the snow is melted and IT'S FULL OF SOMEONE'S CAT'S POO AND I'M MAD.

Nothing wrong with that!!!! Just work it into the soil!

pinkster73
04-01-12, 07:42 PM
Nothing wrong with that!!!! Just work it into the soil!

A little bit yes but there's just as much poo as dirt. I had my wonderful top soil, vermiculite, and peatmoss mix ready to go and now its half poo. Not cool.

RealFarmer1222
04-01-12, 07:45 PM
A little bit yes but there's just as much poo as dirt. I had my wonderful top soil, vermiculite, and peatmoss mix ready to go and now its half poo. Not cool.

Ohhhhh that will grow PRETTY flowers. Just wear gloves if you are squeemish!

pinkster73
04-01-12, 07:49 PM
I do grow pretty flowers. My flowers aren't ugly and too small.

You think I should keep all the poo then? I was going to scoop it and ever so nicely return it to the neighbor I KNOW is responsible.

pinkster73
04-01-12, 07:54 PM
And I'm not squeemish about poo. I wear gloves because I'm terrified of spiders and I reach in my juniper to clear out the dead needles and there's SPIDERS in there.

RealFarmer1222
04-01-12, 07:55 PM
I do grow pretty flowers. My flowers aren't ugly and too small.

You think I should keep all the poo then? I was going to scoop it and ever so nicely return it to the neighbor I KNOW is responsible.

Well, I realize cat poo doesn't 'break up' well, but if you can work it into the soil and you're not going to plant anything right away; it will make good "organic" fertilizer.

You just don't want the cats returning to do their business after you plant something.

pinkster73
04-01-12, 07:57 PM
What is "right away"? I usually prep my soil about a week before I plant.

TimeForACuppaTea
04-01-12, 08:24 PM
Yuck, cat poo. I'm with ya Pink. Not sure why that sounds so nasty and yet cow poo seems so much better. :p

I managed to get weeds cleared out of my garden this weekend. Too bad crops aren't as easy to grow as weeds are.

Discovered that the ants have once again made my garden their home. Gotta figure out how to get them to move out without using a ton of chemicals.

pinkster73
04-01-12, 08:41 PM
There's little ant ****er things that are contained in a plastic house type thing so there's no chance of accidentally poisoning other animals. They've worked for me. You just put a few out and a bunch get ****ed and the rest leave. Maybe to your neighbors :p

RealFarmer1222
04-01-12, 09:03 PM
What is "right away"? I usually prep my soil about a week before I plant.

work it in...let it get some rain/snow on it...work it some more and it should be OK.

If it's REALLY alot, you might have to "return" some of it to your neighbor

Lueann's right, too. cow manure breaks up sooooo much better than cat poo.

pinkster73
04-01-12, 09:12 PM
Ok thanks. Thanks to you I won't scoop all of it. I'll keep some, work it in, and return the rest. :p

And cow poo smells better.

pops1972
04-01-12, 09:21 PM
I'm pretty sure cat poop is not good for your garden. My friend had this problem and it ****ed his flowers. He took his cactus plants outside and placed them in his garden. To keep cats away.

RealFarmer1222
04-01-12, 09:41 PM
I'm pretty sure cat poop is not good for your garden. My friend had this problem and it ****ed his flowers.

That's probably from all the scratching the cats did to cover up their poo. Like I said, after you plant KEEP THE CATS AWAY!

Any poo properly worked into the soil is good poo. Elephant is amazing fertile. And wars were fought over the islands off the coast of Chile because the bat poo there was such great fertilizer (and made good ***powder!)

viviansmo
04-01-12, 10:16 PM
If you drink coffee, coffee grounds make a great cat repellent. Just spread them over the spot to keep them away, and it seems to work well for plants, too.

greygull
04-01-12, 11:25 PM
I don't have any shade of a green thumb - I usually **** anything I try planting.

But about the cat poo - it's there like all kinds of nasty things in cat poo that aren't in other animals poo? Granted, this is just a generalization, but pregnant women are warned to not clean litter boxes. So wouldn't that make it bad for planting with? Especially if you're planning to plant something edible, like vegetables? Sorry if that's the silliest question on this thread, but I've been wondering about it for a few hours now. :)

swiep07
04-01-12, 11:40 PM

You are expecting some full body pics? Of yourself? Or of us??

viviansmo
04-01-12, 11:48 PM
I don't have any shade of a green thumb - I usually **** anything I try planting.

But about the cat poo - it's there like all kinds of nasty things in cat poo that aren't in other animals poo? Granted, this is just a generalization, but pregnant women are warned to not clean litter boxes. So wouldn't that make it bad for planting with? Especially if you're planning to plant something edible, like vegetables? Sorry if that's the silliest question on this thread, but I've been wondering about it for a few hours now. :)

Hm, I'm not sure. Toxoplasmosis is the danger to unborn babies, and that can come from cat poo, but it's from a parasite so I'm not sure if that translates into being bad for plants. I've heard it's actually cat pee that can be more dangerous to plants because of the high nitrogen. Although, isn't nitrogen in fertilizer? I'm thoroughly confused. :p

TimeForACuppaTea
04-02-12, 12:46 AM
If you drink coffee, coffee grounds make a great cat repellent. Just spread them over the spot to keep them away, and it seems to work well for plants, too.

Coffee is great for the garden. It adds nitrogen into the soil. Starbucks gives away bags of used coffee grounds free for the asking (most locations). I've used coffee in my garden for a while now and I love it. Wish it repelled squirrels. :p

atlantisonearth
04-02-12, 06:10 AM
Coffee is great for the garden. It adds nitrogen into the soil. Starbucks gives away bags of used coffee grounds free for the asking (most locations). I've used coffee in my garden for a while now and I love it. Wish it repelled squirrels. :p

I use a substance called Diatomaceous Earth. It is toxic if inhaled, but if you consume it, it will benefit your body greatly. It boosts your immune system, makes you more active; brightens your eyes, hair, and nails, and cleans all the ***k and phlegm in your stomach.

Thats not all... If you sprinkle it on plants and crops, it repels bugs and other animals. It is not a pesticide, since it is all-natural, and it comes from the ground (i.e. Diatomaceous Earth). Finally, you can enjoy your red strawberries, you dont have to salvage the ones that the birds left for you!

atlantisonearth
04-02-12, 06:16 AM
Woah -- RealFarmer is a... Real Farmer? And I found that out in the Real Farming with Real Farmer thread! Ahhhhh!

RealFarmer1222
04-02-12, 07:27 AM
Coffee grounds...great stuff for flower beds...my mom uses them all the time.

The great cat poo and pee debate.....Upon further investigation, I find there are alot of diseases in cat poo. Still, if its well incorporated into the soil BEFORE planting, it shouldn't pose much of a risk (and add some fertility). It might also be a good idea to check the pH before you plant.

Regarding viv's comment on cat pee and nitrogen, yes, nitrogen is a fertilizer, but there is such a thing as "nitrogen shock". That's why you don't want to give young plants a lot of fertilizer. It could also be a pH thing. In any event, don't let the cats near AFTER YOU PLANT.

Since I've mentioned pH, you generally want a pH in the 6.5 range (slightly acidic,IIRC). And fertilizer is rated by N-P-K (nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium). Nitrogen helps leaf growth; Phosphorus with flowering and fruiting; Potassium will overall plant health.

RealFarmer1222
04-02-12, 07:32 AM
You are expecting some full body pics? Of yourself? Or of us??

LOL....of me....driving a skid loader!

Woah -- RealFarmer is a... Real Farmer? And I found that out in the Real Farming with Real Farmer thread! Ahhhhh!

Wow, and you figured that out in two and half months all by yourself!!! You're pretty sharp.

Anybody else experiencing alot of glitchs (i.e. problems with quoting or loading pages) on the board the last two days??????
Maybe my hard drive needs defraged, or my cache emptied.

kattybell
04-02-12, 08:04 AM
Mine has been slow today with loading, when it's usually not.

pinkster73
04-02-12, 08:51 AM
1. I'm having lots of forum problems too
2. I drink 2 pots of coffee a day. The grounds keep away kitties?
3. I'm NOT pregnant, and will plant only pretty flowers, no veggies, so toximoplasis is not really a concern

pinkster73
04-02-12, 08:57 AM
I'm pretty sure cat poop is not good for your garden. My friend had this problem and it ****ed his flowers. He took his cactus plants outside and placed them in his garden. To keep cats away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFCiyBuvfmk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

swiep07
04-02-12, 09:49 AM
I heard about chili powder (is that the right word??:confused:) to keep the cats away. Never tried it before, but I guess the supermarket would be happy buying a large amount of those little cans.

atlantisonearth
04-02-12, 02:20 PM
LOL....of me....driving a skid loader!

Wow, and you figured that out in two and half months all by yourself!!! You're pretty sharp.

Anybody else experiencing alot of glitchs (i.e. problems with quoting or loading pages) on the board the last two days??????
Maybe my hard drive needs defraged, or my cache emptied.

Do you want to compare college degrees?

(PS... any thread that says RealFarmer, I am obliged NOT to open it :p)

RealFarmer1222
04-02-12, 03:26 PM
I've heard Chili powder works on cats, deer and groundhogs, but never tried it.

Two pots of coffee a day, pinkster??? You're worse than me, but those coffee grounds in your flower bed will do it REAL GOOD.

Brother here for the week to help out, so I'll probably not be on much during the day.

swiep07
04-02-12, 03:34 PM
What about the picture of proof? :)

pinkster73
04-02-12, 04:43 PM
I've heard Chili powder works on cats, deer and groundhogs, but never tried it.

Two pots of coffee a day, pinkster??? You're worse than me, but those coffee grounds in your flower bed will do it REAL GOOD.

Brother here for the week to help out, so I'll probably not be on much during the day.

Yes, 2 pots. I like my coffee :p

RealFarmer1222
04-02-12, 07:03 PM
Yes, 2 pots. I like my coffee :p

Then put those coffee grounds in your flower bed! It's great stuff!

For you tomato lovers, here's the best way I found for starting tomatoes from seed. These mini-greenhouses are available at Sprawl-Mart for about $12. Make sure you get the bigger ones (36 cells), the smaller ones (72 cells) will work OK for flowers, but tomatoes really need the bigger ones....

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/t1.jpg

when you add water, the pellets puff up...

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/t2.jpg

...and you add one seed per cell. Then cover and let them cook...

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/t3.jpg

I'll post pics as these mature. I think you'll be amazed at how they grow (baring any disasters!)

pinkster73
04-02-12, 09:11 PM
Tomatoes grow amazingly fast. To me anyway. And they are pretty and yummy. I've done the hanging tomato plant here. It's the only fruit/veggie I had that the STUPID BUNNIES didn't eat.

pinkster73
04-02-12, 09:22 PM
They are white tailed jack rabbits. Brown in summer, white in winter. Very cute. But evil

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i344/pinkster73/PicsArt_1333426729351.png

atlantisonearth
04-03-12, 05:07 AM
They are white tailed jack rabbits. Brown in summer, white in winter. Very cute. But evil

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i344/pinkster73/PicsArt_1333426729351.png

Okay those are adorable. I wouldn't mind having them in my yard eating my plants!

Does anyone know how to keep alligators away? I try so hard but nothing will work...

atlantisonearth
04-03-12, 05:12 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/ve94kp.jpg

RealFarmer1222
04-03-12, 05:48 AM
Tomatoes grow amazingly fast.

Not when Bambi eats them:mad:

atlantisonearth
04-03-12, 06:45 PM

Ugh mine either rots or birds come attacking them

RealFarmer1222
04-03-12, 07:02 PM
Never heard of birds eating tomatoes, although their were some chickens in my potato field today.

Potato planting has be***.....

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/potatoplant1.jpg

pinkster73
04-03-12, 08:17 PM
Check it out! Real furrows!

This thread is cool for us city folk.

swiep07
04-04-12, 01:07 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/ve94kp.jpg

Maybe bambi can visit atlantisonearth's garden..

pinkster73
04-05-12, 08:30 PM
I was going to post a "before" pic of my garden but we had a snowstorm :(

pops1972
04-05-12, 08:52 PM
We have some tomato seeds started in some Styrofoam cups from the shrimp noodles. Instant lunch cups are a good size for holding water. Then you crush them when you plant. We can't plant outside till the toads cross the road three times.

pinkster73
04-05-12, 10:32 PM
We have some tomato seeds started in some Styrofoam cups from the shrimp noodles. Instant lunch cups are a good size for holding water. Then you crush them when you plant. We can't plant outside till the toads cross the road three times.

What? Do they migrate at the same time every year or something like that?

pops1972
04-06-12, 05:53 AM
What? Do they migrate at the same time every year or something like that?
no, to get to the other side of the road. I don't know but it means there won't be any more frost. We try not to squash them with our tires.

pinkster73
04-06-12, 08:40 AM
no, to get to the other side of the road. I don't know but it means there won't be any more frost. We try not to squash them with our tires.

Here in Alberta we have gopher season. In the spring they are squished all over the roads. They run out at cars from the side of the road, seriously. I've only ever hit one and I cried.

kattybell
04-06-12, 08:41 AM
Here in Alberta we have gopher season. In the spring they are squished all over the roads. They run out at cars from the side of the road, seriously. I've only ever hit one and I cried.

Aw, I hate when that happens for me. I try to avoid hitting squirrels, birds, anything! I got hit by a deer a few years back, and I cried as it died. :( My car got hit not as in me.

pinkster73
04-06-12, 08:50 AM
Aw, I hate when that happens for me. I try to avoid hitting squirrels, birds, anything! I got hit by a deer a few years back, and I cried as it died. :( My car got hit not as in me.

I swerved off the highway once to not hit Bambi with my car and it cost me $2500 in damage.

kattybell
04-06-12, 08:52 AM
I swerved off the highway once to not hit Bambi with my car and it cost me $2500 in damage.

Yikes. I only had to pay a deductible of about $500 to fix mine. I have only gotten into one accident since than, and all the other person lost was a piece of rust of their old truck. I'm just thankful we both were ok!

RealFarmer1222
04-06-12, 10:50 AM

Same thing happened here last fall. The woman was almost in hysterics. Then she called someone nearby to get the deer. They nearly ran over ME in thier haste to pick it up when they saw how big it was.

pops1972
04-06-12, 10:53 AM
My husband drives 2 hours to work and back. So he drives a junker clunker with good gas mileage. He gets a couple a dear each year so he loads them in the trunk and we eat them. Strawberry season is the best time. They taste better from eating the strawberries.

pops1972
04-06-12, 10:54 AM
Oh was referring to bamby. No wood chucks or anything.

AnnasCoffee
04-06-12, 12:19 PM
Check it out! Real furrows!

This thread is cool for us city folk.

I like this thread. The pink house looks just like the house on my Grandparent's farm, when I was a kid. My 14 x 20 ft city garden is okay , but its nothing compared to RealFarmer's fields... I love the pictures, they're so calming. All you need is a border collie and it would be perfect!

swiep07
04-06-12, 12:28 PM
I love the pictures too :)
And I like the body parts pictures best haha!

pinkster73
04-06-12, 12:33 PM
My husband drives 2 hours to work and back. So he drives a junker clunker with good gas mileage. He gets a couple a dear each year so he loads them in the trunk and we eat them. Strawberry season is the best time. They taste better from eating the strawberries.

You ATE BAMBI?!?!

pops1972
04-06-12, 12:35 PM
Oh they want to be eaten. It's how you say "I love you" in deer language :)

sissy8
04-06-12, 12:35 PM
take a turkey they never spoil your crops:o

pinkster73
04-06-12, 12:36 PM
I'm so traumatized

pops1972
04-06-12, 12:40 PM
Yummy, wild turkey. . .

swiep07
04-06-12, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't eat a bambi I just hit... :eek:
I wouldn't eat a bambi at all!
I cried over a frog! And a bunny! Oh... I'm so terrible...

lylahmae
04-06-12, 12:53 PM
You guys are traumatizing pinkster she thinks meat comes from the grocery store much more of this eating bambi stuff and she will starve or worse.....become vegitarian

pinkster73
04-06-12, 01:04 PM
I'm not vegetarian but I don't eat meat often.

And EVERYONE knows meat comes from the grocery store geez

pops1972
04-06-12, 01:05 PM
Lobster is an insect. Can you eat a bug. . . No? you need a lot of funniest for a stew. But they want to be eaten also. Bunny stew, pinkster?

pops1972
04-06-12, 01:06 PM
Edit* bunnys

pinkster73
04-06-12, 01:07 PM
Lobster is an insect. Can you eat a bug. . . No? you need a lot of funniest for a stew. But they want to be eaten also. Bunny stew, pinkster?

I like to eat insects yes. Crab is my favorite.

pops1972
04-06-12, 01:33 PM
Bunny stew is good for losing weight!

pinkster73
04-06-12, 02:42 PM
Bunny stew is good for losing weight!

Yes, because I wouldn't eat it.

RealFarmer1222
04-06-12, 04:55 PM
take a turkey they never spoil your crops:o

Oh, there are turkeys around the farm. Haven't seen any myself this year yet, but a hunter reported seeing about a dozen. I'll try to get pics when they appear.

Re eating Bambi: Venison tastes just like low-fat beef. My late great aunt Renee swore she'd never eat venison. My mom made meatloaf out of venison (without telling her) and aunt Renee never knew the difference.

Crabs and lobsters aren't insects, they are crustacetans(sp), IIRC.

lylahmae
04-08-12, 02:56 PM
Oh, there are turkeys around the farm. Haven't seen any myself this year yet, but a hunter reported seeing about a dozen. I'll try to get pics when they appear.

Re eating Bambi: Venison tastes just like low-fat beef. My late great aunt Renee swore she'd never eat venison. My mom made meatloaf out of venison (without telling her) and aunt Renee never knew the difference.

Crabs and lobsters aren't insects, they are crustacetans(sp), IIRC.
I beg to differ on the venison in high-school I worked in a small butcher shop to learn how to cut meat and now i HATE the taste of venison after that first season of 2500 deer I can taste the smell of deer in the meat....and my dear husband and his father try to trick me all the time and I notice every time. But I have no problem with others eating it:-P

atlantisonearth
04-08-12, 06:22 PM
Maybe bambi can visit atlantisonearth's garden..

OMG... I laughed so much at this post!

swiep07
04-09-12, 02:25 AM
OMG... I laughed so much at this post!

Lol! I guess you are the only one who noticed that one

lylahmae
04-10-12, 06:17 PM
Mae was my great grandmother's middle name and is now my daughters what's really neat is she has gram's super dark brown eyes. I like old names, and the stories and people behind them.

RealFarmer1222
04-10-12, 08:18 PM
no great history behind my mother's name. It was just that she was born in May (or Mae).

Of course, her side of the family trace it's roots all the way back to the Revolutionary War.

pinkster73
04-10-12, 09:08 PM
I want more realfarming pics! I made that word. It's pics from only realfarmer.

RealFarmer1222
04-11-12, 07:19 AM
My brother's ***g-hoedness last week was not very condusive to picture taking and today, it's 35 degrees and sleeting....

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/sleet.jpg

Nevertheless, here is one of the 50 Norway Spruce (along w/ 50 Douglas Fir) I planted last week.
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/farmstuff005.jpg
These are tiny seedlings I get free from allowing people to stalk Bambi.

This the the water line I had to fix for a second time....
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/2ndfix.jpg

And now the quiz.....
Which of these tires is Onions, and which one is garlic???
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/farmstuff007.jpg
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/farmstuff009.jpg

atlantisonearth
04-11-12, 01:54 PM
Top one is onions, bottom garlic.

I am growing onions :o

pinkster73
04-11-12, 02:07 PM
Top garlic, bottom onions.

RealFarmer1222
04-11-12, 02:45 PM
Pinkster outwits the PhD!!!!!!!!!

http://school.discoveryeducation.com/clipart/images/a-trophy.gif

The top pic shows garlic that was planted last fall. The bottom pic is onions that were planted about 3 weeks ago.

pinkster73
04-11-12, 02:50 PM
I've grown chives. Better then a Phd :p

atlantisonearth
04-11-12, 03:17 PM
Oh my gosh, I laughed so much at "Pinkster outwits the PhD!!" :')

Come on RF, you still havent shared with us city folk what college degree(s) you have?

pinkster73
04-11-12, 03:26 PM
Oh boys, boys, you can flex your biceps some other time :p

(And what's so funny about pinkster outwits the Phd?)

atlantisonearth
04-11-12, 04:26 PM

Haha well, it looks like RealFarmer has been wearing a thick over-coat lately!

(Im not sure)

queentina3
04-12-12, 07:26 AM

I found the humor in it. :)

wbkyoto
04-15-12, 10:02 AM
I agree, more realfarmerpics ...how about a portrait of that rock? Or an action photo of a sprouting greenhouse inhabitant?

RealFarmer1222
04-15-12, 12:07 PM
I agree, more realfarmerpics ...how about a portrait of that rock? Or an action photo of a sprouting greenhouse inhabitant?

Did you take a pic of that rock??? If you did I didn't get it. The smaller one is around here somewhere...in the "I want to flip tables" thread, IIRC.

BTW, for those who don't know, wb helped me get a BIG rock out of a furrow last month.

And, ironically enough, I was just taking some pics of greenhouse watering system. Here is the neat rain barrel I have set up on the garage right next to the greenhouse...

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/farmstuff012.jpg

It's a 15 gallon barrel with automatic overflow into a drain.

The next image show my take on the ancient Greek clepsydra that I use for watering in the green house.....

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/watering.jpg

It is a 1 liter plastic bottle with holes punched in the bottom. I fill it with water in a 5 gallon bucket and screw the top on (while still in the water). As you see on the left, the water doesn't not dripp out the holes as long as the cap is secure.

Then, you unscrew the top (or just squeeze the bottle) the water drips out where you want it. In this case, the baby peppers.

pinkster73
04-15-12, 12:11 PM
A-ha! Proof you have a watch!

RealFarmer1222
04-15-12, 12:13 PM
A-ha! Proof you have a watch!

LOL...darn!!!! I was going to mention that and forgot!!!!

pinkster73
04-15-12, 01:26 PM
Check out the banning thread realfarmer, your mustache is famous now :p

viviansmo
04-15-12, 02:21 PM
Lol! I'm still catching up on forum threads. This one makes me laugh and forget all the stress the other threads bring. ;)

RealFarmer1222
04-15-12, 03:10 PM
Check out the banning thread realfarmer, your mustache is famous now :p

I see....and just posed that very question in the "Yes or No" thread!

RealFarmer1222
04-18-12, 04:50 PM
Finished potato planting today.

Here's the 'machine' (disk/cultipacker combo) for final prep of the ground....

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/farmstuff015.jpg

See how it pulverizes the ground and creates mini furrows...

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/farmstuff016.jpg

This is my high tech method for distributing fertilizer in the furrow...

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/chain.jpg

...and my high tech potato planter...

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/potatonator.jpg

Thought I took some pics of the greenhouse, but apparently not. I'll post some later in the week.

Ohhhhh...and the board's most famous mustache got caught in a can of Coke yesterday. It was surprisingly painful!

pinkster73
04-18-12, 08:13 PM
Oh no for the mustache! Is he ok?

Awesome real furrows.

Note in the top pic there's pink on the machinery.

And.... A-ha! Proof you have the other arm!

RealFarmer1222
04-18-12, 08:21 PM
The cultipacker is actually a dark red. I think the light just made it LOOK pink.

The stache is fine.

No comment on the potatonator (mark 2)????

pinkster73
04-18-12, 09:33 PM
Oh its the greatest most bestest potatonator I've ever seen!

pinkster73
04-18-12, 10:39 PM
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i344/pinkster73/PicsArt_1334813135223.png

viviansmo
04-18-12, 10:42 PM
The potatoes look so happy! :D

RealFarmer1222
04-19-12, 06:25 AM
Wow! They do look happy, don't they!!!

I guess I'd better not post the pics of me cutting them up!

pinkster73
04-19-12, 08:15 AM
Wow! They do look happy, don't they!!!

I guess I'd better not post the pics of me cutting them up!

Ahhhhh!!! I can hear their screams!

RealFarmer1222
04-19-12, 09:41 AM
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/potato****er.jpg

pinkster73
04-19-12, 10:09 AM
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i344/pinkster73/PicsArt_1334855250660.png

bobbyrae
04-19-12, 10:28 AM
I've grown chives. Better then a Phd :p

Ugh...my chives just will not grow! I think it's too hot here for them :(
We can't grow garlic here either. They get to that stage in the photo and then just wither and die. Too hot for them.

pinkster73
04-19-12, 10:31 AM
We can't grow garlic here either. They get to that stage in the photo and then just wither and die. Too hot for them.

I do not have the "too hot here" problem way up here :p

RealFarmer1222
04-19-12, 01:08 PM

Mulch them with paper...the white reflects the light and keeps them cooler.

AnnasCoffee
04-19-12, 02:04 PM
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i344/pinkster73/PicsArt_1334855250660.png

Are you kidding? This is TOO FUNNY!! Thanks Pinkster and RealFarmer :). After reading all the coin loss threads I really appreciate your fun silly humor. Hilarious :)

RealFarmer1222
04-19-12, 02:27 PM
yaknow....they put all kinda potatoes in french fries!!!!!

bobbyrae
04-19-12, 02:30 PM
Mulch them with paper...the white reflects the light and keeps them cooler.
Hmmm....never thought of that. I'll try planting them in some shade and mulch with paper.

lol @ that fries comment. lol.

pinkster73
04-19-12, 02:41 PM

Omg!!!! Noooo!!!!!!

bobbyrae
04-19-12, 02:42 PM
Omg!!!! Noooo!!!!!!
yep, eyes and all.

DAmanding
04-19-12, 05:25 PM
Is that potato looking at me?!?!? *Gives it the stink eye*

Pinkster I love all your Photoshopping. Or are you Gimping?

pinkster73
04-19-12, 05:56 PM
Is that potato looking at me?!?!? *Gives it the stink eye*

Pinkster I love all your Photoshopping. Or are you Gimping?

I use picsart. Im Android.

pinkster73
04-22-12, 11:24 AM
This is my "before" pic of my lilies coming. I won't deadhead them for awhile longer because it is going to snow more. But look! It's the SUN!

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i344/pinkster73/PicsArt_1335118864071.png

RealFarmer1222
04-22-12, 02:28 PM
Are those lillies or daffodils?

Supposed to snow here tonight....as much as 6 inches.

The greenhouse is coming along slowly....I've stared the tomatoes and pepper on Miracle Grow...

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/farmstuff027.jpg

Guess what I had for dinner today....

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/farmstuff029.jpg

The tulips are just about done...except for these two....

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/farmstuff028.jpg

What a ghastly color!

pinkster73
04-22-12, 02:33 PM
Gorgeous tulips. Pink!

My bulbs are lilies.

That is some huge asparagus.

SmokeyMtnGirl
04-22-12, 05:32 PM
Well Mr Real Farmer my question is do or did you have to cover your garden tonight? We spent 45 minutes covering our garden. I have worked too hard to let it get frosted. I took some pics of my little pole beans when they poked their heads thru the dirt. Idk how to post pics in here. Looking coward to seeing your REAL garden :-)

SmokeyMtnGirl
04-22-12, 05:34 PM
Are those lillies or daffodils?

Supposed to snow here tonight....as much as 6 inches.

The greenhouse is coming along slowly....I've stared the tomatoes and pepper on Miracle Grow...

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/farmstuff027.jpg

Guess what I had for dinner today....

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/farmstuff029.jpg

The tulips are just about done...except for these two....

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/farmstuff028.jpg

What a ghastly color!

Oh a greenhouse! I'd love to have a greenhouse. Do you grow stuff in the winter also? I guess that answers my question about covering stuff up. lol

SmokeyMtnGirl
04-22-12, 05:36 PM

Uh no. I didn't know that. My brothers potatoes got ****ed in the last frost we had.

SmokeyMtnGirl
04-22-12, 05:38 PM
Finished potato planting today.

Here's the 'machine' (disk/cultipacker combo) for final prep of the ground....

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/farmstuff015.jpg

See how it pulverizes the ground and creates mini furrows...

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/farmstuff016.jpg

This is my high tech method for distributing fertilizer in the furrow...

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/chain.jpg

...and my high tech potato planter...

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/potatonator.jpg

Thought I took some pics of the greenhouse, but apparently not. I'll post some later in the week.

Ohhhhh...and the board's most famous mustache got caught in a can of Coke yesterday. It was surprisingly painful!

How does the potato planter work?

SmokeyMtnGirl
04-22-12, 05:42 PM

We planted lettuce, cabbage, onions, pole beans, tomatoes, peppers, corn and I think that's all. Thus the reason for all the covering.

pinkster73
04-22-12, 06:16 PM
Here is the wonderful "fertilizer" from my neighbors cat that my garden is FULL of. This is just a small sample. I can't mix it all in, there's way too much. So I will be returning a large portion of it back to my neighbors lawn. Probably during the night :p

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i344/pinkster73/PicsArt_1335143377162.png

lylahmae
04-22-12, 07:01 PM
You should flip the fertile back to your neighbor Pinkster!

pinkster73
04-22-12, 07:11 PM
You should flip the fertile back to your neighbor Pinkster!

That's my plan. Or more like a fling.

pinkster73
04-22-12, 07:30 PM
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i344/pinkster73/poo.png

RealFarmer1222
04-23-12, 06:03 AM
Well Mr Real Farmer my question is do or did you have to cover your garden tonight? We spent 45 minutes covering our garden. I have worked too hard to let it get frosted. I took some pics of my little pole beans when they poked their heads thru the dirt. Idk how to post pics in here. Looking coward to seeing your REAL garden :-)

I don't have anything vulnerable planted yet. I have a heater in the greenhouse. And it's a good thing, since there are 2-3 inches of snow on the ground!!!

Potatoes will survive a freeze. the leaves may die, but tuber just produces more.

RealFarmer1222
04-23-12, 06:08 AM
We planted lettuce, cabbage, onions, pole beans, tomatoes, peppers, corn and I think that's all. Thus the reason for all the covering.

The onions, cabbage, and lettuce should survive a frost no problem. The others are all vulnerable.

I used to try to get things in early and cover in the event of frost, but it got to be such a pain and didn't always work, so I always wait until May to put in vulnerable crops.

RealFarmer1222
04-23-12, 06:09 AM
Here is the wonderful "fertilizer" from my neighbors cat that my garden is FULL of. This is just a small sample. I can't mix it all in, there's way too much. So I will be returning a large portion of it back to my neighbors lawn. Probably during the night :p

Well, the ground looks good! Nice and dark!

RealFarmer1222
04-23-12, 06:11 AM
How does the potato planter work?

Just move it 9-12" and drop in a potato piece....repeat 10,000 times.

Saves a lot on the back.

sourlicorice2
04-23-12, 06:53 AM

Lol only u would post a picture of it.....yuck funny but yuck :p

pinkster73
04-23-12, 07:47 AM
Lol only u would post a picture of it.....yuck funny but yuck :p

Ya my daughter was like "you're taking a picture of that? You posting it? Like Omg like seriously so gross like Omg". That's my impression of teenager talk.

pinkster73
04-23-12, 08:01 AM
Realfarmer, every year I do my topsoil like this:

1/2 topsoil with a 30/30/30 mix
1/4 vermiculite
1/4 peatmoss

Approximately

My question is do I need the 30/30/30 fertilized topsoil if I'm keeping some of The cat poo and adding coffee grounds? Should I get plain topsoil? What is the poo and coffee boosting the most? The nitrogen or the phosphorus? Should I get a different mix?

sourlicorice2
04-23-12, 08:12 AM
Ya my daughter was like "you're taking a picture of that? You posting it? Like Omg like seriously so gross like Omg". That's my impression of teenager talk.

Lol, if it makes people laugh then I say go for it (I laughed when I saw it). I do love your sense of humour especially if I'm cranky and I need something to put a smile on my face. :-)

pinkster73
04-23-12, 08:30 AM
Lol, if it makes people laugh then I say go for it (I laughed when I saw it). I do love your sense of humour especially if I'm cranky and I need something to put a smile on my face. :-)

Cat poo puts a smile on everyone's face :)

viviansmo
04-23-12, 08:38 AM
Cat poo puts a smile on everyone's face :)

unless that cat poo is somewhere it shouldn't be :p

RealFarmer1222
04-23-12, 09:06 AM
Realfarmer, every year I do my topsoil like this:

1/2 topsoil with a 30/30/30 mix
1/4 vermiculite
1/4 peatmoss

Approximately

My question is do I need the 30/30/30 fertilized topsoil if I'm keeping some of The cat poo and adding coffee grounds? Should I get plain topsoil? What is the poo and coffee boosting the most? The nitrogen or the phosphorus? Should I get a different mix?

Wow! 30/30/30....I use 19/19/19 typically.

Hmm...lets see.....I'd probably mix the coffee grounds with peat moss. They are about the same consistancy and do the same thing. I think the coffee grounds boost phosphorus. The cat poo probably nitrogen...you could probably mix that in with the topsoil and maybe just go with a lower fertilizer (maybe like a 8/8/8 or an 8/16/8...for flowers you want a lot of phosphorous.

pinkster73
04-23-12, 09:11 AM
Wow! 30/30/30....I use 19/19/19 typically.

Hmm...lets see.....I'd probably mix the coffee grounds with peat moss. They are about the same consistancy and do the same thing. I think the coffee grounds boost phosphorus. The cat poo probably nitrogen...you could probably mix that in with the topsoil and maybe just go with a lower fertilizer (maybe like a 8/8/8 or an 8/16/8...for flowers you want a lot of phosphorous.

That one I know. Math is not my forte but pretty flowers are. Sometimes I give them a boost with a high phosphorus fertilizer. I use a 30/30/30 mix because here my growing time is short and harsh.

pinkster73
04-23-12, 09:18 AM
I was doing some reading about using coffee grounds in gardening and I learned that it attracts worms and is a good food source for them. Cool.

Confession: when it rains I pick up worms from the parking lot and put them all in my garden. I hoard them ha ha. My neighbors must think I'm nuts. Also I feel bad when they get run over.

kattybell
04-23-12, 09:19 AM
Confession: when it rains I pick up worms from the parking lot and put them all in my garden. I hoard them ha ha. My neighbors must think I'm nuts. Also I feel bad when they get run over.

That's sweet!

pinkster73
04-23-12, 09:28 AM
Noooo!!!! The evil flower eating bunnies are already stalking my mini farm!!!

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i344/pinkster73/PicsArt_1335198378855.png

RealFarmer1222
04-23-12, 09:43 AM
That's a pretty good sized wabbit....

how come you don't have snow up there???

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/farmstuff030.jpg

It's crushing this crabapple down onto my onions...

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/Krister1222/farmstuff.jpg

pinkster73
04-23-12, 09:49 AM
The snow melted over the weekend. It's going to be 26 celcius today! We're breaking a 112 year record. Tomorrow it will be back to the normal 12-13 degree range.

That's a small bunny in my pic. Probably a teenager. We don't actually get bunnies, we have jackrabbits. BIG ONES.

bobbyrae
04-23-12, 10:03 AM
Onions?! In snow?

bobbyrae
04-23-12, 10:05 AM
The snow melted over the weekend. It's going to be 26 celcius today! We're breaking a 112 year record. Tomorrow it will be back to the normal 12-13 degree range.

That's a small bunny in my pic. Probably a teenager. We don't actually get bunnies, we have jackrabbits. BIG ONES.

Meanwhile it's probably in the very, very, very hot 90s here in Montego Bay. The eastern half of the island is washing way with floods and here in the west it's as dry as chip, blue skies above with not even a glimpse of a rain cloud and we're just about desperate for some cooler weather and some rain. Smh. Snow and 12 degree weather sounds good just about now. Seriously.

pinkster73
04-23-12, 10:15 AM
Meanwhile it's probably in the very, very, very hot 90s here in Montego Bay. The eastern half of the island is washing way with floods and here in the west it's as dry as chip, blue skies above with not even a glimpse of a rain cloud and we're just about desperate for some cooler weather and some rain. Smh. Snow and 12 degree weather sounds good just about now. Seriously.

The grass is always greener on the other side :)

pinkster73
04-23-12, 10:16 AM
Onions?! In snow?

Onions are tough.

RealFarmer1222
04-23-12, 11:31 AM
Onions?! In snow?

Sure!...haven't you heard of the "onion snow"???? I'd call this today the onion snow, but I called the one a coupla weeks ago that, so I guess this is the raspberry snow.

pinkster73
04-23-12, 06:05 PM
Realfarmer, I couldn't mix in the cat poo. It was like cement turds. Soooo..... they were returned to owner. :o

RealFarmer1222
04-23-12, 06:29 PM
Realfarmer, I couldn't mix in the cat poo. It was like cement turds. Soooo..... they were returned to owner. :o

Probably not a bad thing...if they were that dry, they probably wouldn't do much good. Now, cow pies, when they dry, they just crumble all up.

pinkster73
04-23-12, 06:57 PM
Probably not a bad thing...if they were that dry, they probably wouldn't do much good. Now, cow pies, when they dry, they just crumble all up.

And cow patties don't really stink either. I would have been much less horrified to have a cow pie in my garden then 5 pounds of cat poo.

(By the way I didn't fling back all 5 pounds, I'm not mean. I flung back about a pound)

SmokeyMtnGirl
04-23-12, 07:11 PM
I don't have anything vulnerable planted yet. I have a heater in the greenhouse. And it's a good thing, since there are 2-3 inches of snow on the ground!!!

Potatoes will survive a freeze. the leaves may die, but tuber just produces more.

Thanks. I will tell my brother!!!

SmokeyMtnGirl
04-23-12, 07:12 PM
The onions, cabbage, and lettuce should survive a frost no problem. The others are all vulnerable.

I used to try to get things in early and cover in the event of frost, but it got to be such a pain and didn't always work, so I always wait until May to put in vulnerable crops.

It was a pain and took a while but we got everything covered. I'm not taking any chances. lol

SmokeyMtnGirl
04-23-12, 07:13 PM
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i344/pinkster73/poo.png

I luv this.