PDA

View Full Version : Im new, what to do with gems?

oreo1981
03-19-12, 06:02 PM
Question for all those higher levels, who looking back, would have done things alittle differently.

1. I have 41 gems. I'd like to spend them before they get devoured by a gem trap.

2. I dont plan on buying gems, ever, unless they add a confirmation for gem traps in the game.

That out of the way, what item can you recommend I should invest in that will help at higher level?

Perhaps an extra appliance? Ive read that after a certain level, you need to spend gems for more appliances. If I buy one now, I'll always be one appliance extra right? For ex, I am level 17. At level 19, I get an appliance. If I unlock extra appliance, at level 19, I STILL get another appliance, and will always be +1 in appliances?

or

Save gems (hopefully dont get eaten by gem traps and dont click on produce food instantly), for future store expansion? Im not sure if after a certain level, the only way to make your store bigger, is if to spend gems only? Maybe I can do this now, so my gems dont get eaten by gem traps in the game?

Any other idea?

lin77
03-19-12, 06:17 PM
Really I wouldn't spend them unless you really want to buy something with them! They are hard to come by in the games, it takes awhile to build them up. You will get 2 per recipe you master. But that even takes awhile to master recipes, depending on cooking times!

I haven't yet spent my gems on an oops purchase! Just tap carefully and don't get in a hurry while tapping items in a store or on appliances when cooking..... or you will accidentally spend a gem or gems!

pinkster73
03-19-12, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't recommend buying a box. You're gambling and could end up with something really disappointing. Trust me, I've done it.

RealFarmer1222
03-19-12, 07:09 PM
I don't like to spend gems on appliances, although I think I did buy one extra slot. I'm at lvl 28 on RS and can still expand every week or two with coin, so I haven't used any to expand....YET. I don't think expansion is that important in RS, anyhow. I have spent a few gems on baubles to brighten up the place (I really liked the steam punk jet pack!), but mostly I've been hoarding them. The gem traps in RS don't seem to be as bad as in Farm.

ultrafrog
03-19-12, 09:46 PM
Buy decorations you like. Not really worth it to buy additional appliances. 18 which is the natural maximum is enough. I bought one additional slot because I fell for that trap.

quentinsmommy
03-20-12, 01:08 PM
Buy decorations you like. Not really worth it to buy additional appliances. 18 which is the natural maximum is enough. I bought one additional slot because I fell for that trap.

Ditto, but be VERY, VERY careful about gem traps, especially the loathed "instant finish" trap. Tap slowly and carefully when cooking and serving dishes.

pastrychef17
03-20-12, 02:06 PM
It really depends on what you want. I'm not much for decorating in RS so I've never spent gems on boxes or decor. I spent my gems on unlocking a few extra appliance slots (one was a gem trap I fell into and the others I bought voluntarily) plus a few sonic appliances to cut the cooking time down. I've learned to keep my gem count low and as soon as I've earned enough for something I want, I spend it. It gives me tremendous peace of mind to know I literally can't fall into a gem trap because I don't have enough gems.

Also, I wouldn't recommend ever spending gems on something you can buy for coins, even expansions and even if it'll take you awhile to earn enough coins. I would only spend gems on items that can only be bought with gems.

Superyalda
03-20-12, 02:12 PM
Appliances! Appliances!
It's kinda like investing in a gem machine. Master a recipe=2 gems
Goals get done much faster, too!
I'm at 96 for months and have 21 appliances and am saving for another one. Maybe when I have 22, I'll invest in decor.
Do be careful about your finger slipping and those popups though. Don't lose them on a trap!

Blocked99
03-22-12, 05:28 AM
I wouldn't recommend buying a box. You're gambling and could end up with something really disappointing. Trust me, I've done it.

are you serious?

i was really looking forward to buying the mystery box and i currently have 19 gems im afraid something disappointing would appear in my box :(

Superyalda
03-22-12, 05:54 AM
are you serious?

i was really looking forward to buying the mystery box and i currently have 19 gems im afraid something disappointing would appear in my box :(

If you're going to be purchasing gems, go for it. There are some disappointments, but sometimes you get cool stuff. It's a lottery. Also keep in mind that some of the magic box items take a LOT of space.

If you're saving your gems from mastery, turn them into another appliance, which will help you get more gems. It also let's you level up faster since you're getting more XP's from cooking more.

I've tried both ways. Can't say that either way was more fun than the other.

Once you have over 20+ appliances, start buying boxes. You'll also have the space for them.

That's my opinion, of course, after playing for about a year.

queentina3
03-22-12, 06:02 AM
are you serious?

The best way to NOT be disappointed, is to pick a box that no matter what prize you get, you'll be happy. If you want only 1 or 2 things out of a box, the chances of you getting just that 1 or 2 item is so low that it may not be worth the 4.99 (24 gems cost) to purchase one.

yummum2
03-22-12, 06:18 AM
Can i have your 41 gems??? Please! Salvating at the thought of spending 41gems......drool (#imustgetalife)

piggiful
03-22-12, 07:12 AM
For the longest time, I spent them on mystery boxes......it's a big rip off.Then I decided to spend them on big ticket items.......but the novelty wore out in about 2 days....
So, now I only spend them on extra appliance slots.

bobbyrae
03-22-12, 07:18 AM
Can i have your 41 gems??? Please! Salvating at the thought of spending 41gems......drool (#imustgetalife)

I have 46 gems in farm :) I've only spent the occasional gem on fertilising crops and a few other decor stuff ( that was before i realised what gems were! And how hard they were to come by!) and the accidental rose purchase. The accidental purchase or gem traps are the worst! For new players, be very careful about how you tap quickly.

oreo1981
03-22-12, 04:32 PM
@yumyum2, lol too late I already spent them, will try to keep gem count under 5 at ALL times. I jynxed myself with this thread today, was playing club story, icon over mixer showed drink was ready, I double clicked to get set on counter, and clicked on "spend $5 to finish drink"..drink wasnt ready even though icon over it showed it was ready..

I probably overexaggerated stating I will NEVER buy gems(was angry at the time over gem traps), since I am a supporter of free online games and donate every so often..i will work around this problem by keeping gem count under 5, and, wont buy gem unless I am 1000% sure I will spend it right away on something in the future..

Too bad we cant safely sit on gems though(what if my phone glitches like it did for club story again?), else I'd donate alittle now since I appreciate the game like I do for others, lava would make more money that way too if we all know we can safely sit. My 2 cents on that.

yummum2
03-23-12, 02:56 AM
My gem count is constantly under 5.......coz i am greedy and cant stop spending them as soon as i get them! Yes i lost 24gems a few months ago when my phone stuck on my social screen. I tapped the x twice to get back to my bakery screen and it somehow took me to a mystery box screen and purchased me a quite hideous citrus lamp.....i hate my lamp....

quentinsmommy
03-23-12, 09:04 AM
I also reccomend buying an extra door. That way, you can move your door around when you decorate.:)