PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget to move your clocks ahead tonight!

pinkster73
03-10-12, 10:13 PM
Just like the title says.

viviansmo
03-10-12, 11:47 PM
Well, in the us and I guess Canada, too, anyway. :)

viviansmo
03-10-12, 11:48 PM
That should be U.S., not us.

pinkster73
03-10-12, 11:50 PM
That should be U.S., not us.

I figured people would know if they're in a daylight savings time area ha ha

viviansmo
03-10-12, 11:56 PM
I don't remember when U.K. changes, but I think it's in a couple more weeks.

pinkster73
03-11-12, 12:20 AM
Rachael will be awake in a bit I'm sure. He knows

cast1532
03-11-12, 12:25 AM
For them it's March 25.

I lost one hour of sleep.

swiep07
03-11-12, 12:36 AM
I thought it was the last weekend of March. Wouldn't that be 31st?
I like March 25 more :rolleyes:

cast1532
03-11-12, 12:37 AM
I googled it and that's the date they gave me. Let me double check.

cast1532
03-11-12, 12:39 AM
March 31st is for 2013. lol.

swiep07
03-11-12, 12:39 AM
Thanks! I guess it will be on the news by then. But it's nice of you to double check :)

swiep07
03-11-12, 12:40 AM
Ohh lol! 25th is better! I don't mind the hour of sleep. I love the light in the evening :)

Rachael98
03-11-12, 02:27 AM
Rachael will be awake in a bit I'm sure. He knows

You're telepathic! :p

But it's already answered by the looks of it.

pinkster73
03-11-12, 07:55 AM
You're telepathic! :p

But it's already answered by the looks of it.

No I'm not telepathic, I'm stalking you. re re re re (those are psycho noises)

RealFarmer1222
03-11-12, 06:40 PM
Well, in the us and I guess Canada, too, anyway. :)

Except Arizona...and parts of Indiana, IIRC

I miss the hour of sleep already....

SmokeyMtnGirl
03-11-12, 07:06 PM
Well since people from all over the world play these games I am curious as to if everywhere else does this time change thing?I say leave it alone!!!

pinkster73
03-11-12, 07:28 PM
Well since people from all over the world play these games I am curious as to if everywhere else does this time change thing?I say leave it alone!!!

I like it in the fall when we get an extra hour of sleep, but not in spring when we lose an hour. I'm in Alberta

nmishii
03-11-12, 09:02 PM
Except Arizona...and parts of Indiana, IIRC

I miss the hour of sleep already....

All of Indiana observes daylight savings time as of several years ago.

Hawaii also does not observe daylight savings time.

pinkster73
03-11-12, 09:25 PM
Saskatchewan (the province next to me) doesn't do DST.

RealFarmer1222
03-11-12, 09:53 PM
Saskatchewan (the province next to me) doesn't do DST.

So I still catch the noon balloon to Saskatoon?????;)

pinkster73
03-11-12, 10:03 PM
So I still catch the noon balloon to Saskatoon?????;)

Of course. But I don't see why you would go there :p

RealFarmer1222
03-12-12, 08:44 AM
Of course. But I don't see why you would go there :p

Because the Guelph Mad-Hatters traded me there:(

pinkster73
03-12-12, 08:51 AM
Because the Guelph Mad-Hatters traded me there:(

You play/played hockey?

RealFarmer1222
03-12-12, 10:10 AM
You play/played hockey?

Only street hockey, can't skate to save my life, but I got a wicked wrist shot.

pinkster73
03-12-12, 10:44 AM
I'm a very talented watcher of hockey

yanochka
03-12-12, 10:49 AM
I'm a very talented watcher of hockey

LOL, me too - and I can pronounce all of the Russian last names correctly :D

pinkster73
03-12-12, 11:18 AM
LOL, me too - and I can pronounce all of the Russian last names correctly :D

I bet you can!

RealFarmer1222
03-12-12, 01:42 PM
I like just TRYING to pronounce all the Russian player's names (as well as the Finn's and Czech's)

While "dospa donna(sp)" and "Kasputin Yar" is pretty much the extent of my Russian, I can do a pretty good accent from watching the "3CP1...Russian Television" skit on Second City TV back in the day.

And I still consider the Russian national anthem to be superior musically to "The Star-spangled Banner" and "Oh, Canada". Some day, I gotta learn the words to it....

shakiba
03-12-12, 03:56 PM
Time went by fast that day. My mom thought it was on Saturday xD

mtytomlinson
03-17-12, 09:20 AM
I don't get this thread.. Why do you guys needa go ahead of time??

queentina3
03-17-12, 09:58 AM
I don't get this thread.. Why do you guys needa go ahead of time??

During WWI the U.S. decided it wanted to save more energy and make use of the later daylight hours. After the war many states changed back and did what they wanted, then in the mid-60s they standardized it again and almost all states now follow it. About 5 years ago there was a bill passed, some Energy Bill, that changed WHEN we changed to Daylight Savings as opposed to Standard Time to save on enery/oil/fuel so we now have an extra 4 weeks. I guess statistically they've seen that by doing this we use less enery and help conserve.

I know at one point it was said that Farmers had requested this type of change so they could make use of the extra daylight hours for planting, but everything I'd been taught had been that WWI started the ball rolling on it.

pinkster73
03-17-12, 11:20 AM
During WWI the U.S. decided it wanted to save more energy and make use of the later daylight hours. After the war many states changed back and did what they wanted, then in the mid-60s they standardized it again and almost all states now follow it. About 5 years ago there was a bill passed, some Energy Bill, that changed WHEN we changed to Daylight Savings as opposed to Standard Time to save on enery/oil/fuel so we now have an extra 4 weeks. I guess statistically they've seen that by doing this we use less enery and help conserve.

I know at one point it was said that Farmers had requested this type of change so they could make use of the extra daylight hours for planting, but everything I'd been taught had been that WWI started the ball rolling on it.

In conclusion: in spring the clocks go ahead by an hour, in fall they go back an hour, and that's the rules.

RealFarmer1222
03-17-12, 11:30 AM
Benjamin Franklin actually proposed it back in Revolutionary days, but Queentina is right about starting in WW1. I think the Brits actually had it first, so Rachael can correct us on that point.

dalula
03-17-12, 11:31 AM
But it doesnt really save money/energy for the early wakers...

RealFarmer1222
03-17-12, 11:33 AM
WoooHOOO.....call Arnold Slick from Turtle Creek (pronounced crick)...Evengi Malkin just blasted on by Broduer....4-1 Pens!!!

RealFarmer1222
03-17-12, 11:34 AM

...and it sometimes leaves children in the dark....

queentina3
03-17-12, 09:07 PM
In conclusion: in spring the clocks go ahead by an hour, in fall they go back an hour, and that's the rules.

Thank you pinkster, but that didn't actually answer the posters question. They wanted to know WHY we did it, not HOW we do it. :p

LMAO, it wasn't so individuals would save, it was so the government could save for the most part. During the War they wanted to be able to continue fighting later into the day, so they changed the clocks to make it possible. Plus they wanted to squeeze as much production of making ***s and whatnot out of the little men. Now, it is to save on barrels of oil, electricity costs as people don't need to turn their lights on earlier like in the winter, and to get more out of their workers later in the day.

GASP, the thought of our government actually doing something because it would help just us and not moreso them, I just can't believe it. :p

queentina3
03-17-12, 09:10 PM
...and it sometimes leaves children in the dark....

Yes, which is why next year my son will be taking the bus to school only up until DST takes affect, then I'll be driving him. Because he'll be in 7th grade, that bus stops 1/4 mile from my house, instead of just 2 doors down like now, and at 630a it is pitch dark and there is only 2 street lights between my house and his bus stop. It is also downhill, and it will be icy, as it's known to be in NH, so yeah, driving we will go. :(

pinkster73
03-17-12, 09:14 PM
Thank you pinkster, but that didn't actually answer the posters question. They wanted to know WHY we did it, not HOW we do it.

Omg sooo mean!

queentina3
03-17-12, 09:20 PM
Omg sooo mean!

It wasn't meant to be. :( I'm sorry.

pinkster73
03-17-12, 09:24 PM
It wasn't meant to be. :( I'm sorry.

Ok. Dramas over. Whew. I can stop crying now.

I think the whole point of dst is kind of moot now, but it would just be too complicated for the government to change it back. Just my $0.02.

RealFarmer1222
03-17-12, 09:41 PM
You youn***gs are probably too young to remember (and it may not have happened in Canada), but back when I was in 3rd? grade (would have been 73/74) during the Oil Embargo there was Daylight Savings Time the WHOLE year (no "falling back"). They actually moved the start of school up an hour (and maybe two hours in the dead of winter). It was a REAL MESS. No wonder Nixon had to resign.....

RealFarmer1222
03-17-12, 09:44 PM
I think the whole point of dst is kind of moot now, but it would just be too complicated for the government to change it back. Just my $0.02.

I don't have kids, but I didn't think it was too bad when they started it in April, but starting it in March is too early.

My $0.02.

queentina3
03-17-12, 09:55 PM
You youn***gs are probably too young to remember (and it may not have happened in Canada), but back when I was in 3rd? grade (would have been 73/74) during the Oil Embargo there was Daylight Savings Time the WHOLE year (no "falling back"). They actually moved the start of school up an hour (and maybe two hours in the dead of winter). It was a REAL MESS. No wonder Nixon had to resign.....

I was 2-3 back then, I don't remember much from that time period but I think I would recall if my sisters had had a change of school time as my mom would've been mad as a hatter and spitting nails. LMAO @ the Nixon comment though. :p

I could look it up on the web, I'm sure there'd be something on it, but I'm just too darn lazy.

I don't like how it starts in Nov, as it isn't dark enough out for Trick-or-Treating now. It used to happen the Sat before Halloween, even if Halloween fell on a Sat, now it happens well after and it's still light out at 6p. Takes away the whole scaring part of that holiday. :(

viviansmo
03-18-12, 09:34 AM
I wasn't in the states at that time, so, no, I don't remember that. I probably would've liked it. Except for changing school hours. That would've been a pain.

I don't like how it starts in Nov, as it isn't dark enough out for Trick-or-Treating now.
Plenty dark enough at 8 pm. Still cooking dinner at six, so I've never taken the kids out before 7:30 anyway. And now our dinner doesn't get interrupted as often with the earlier trick-or-treaters. :)

queentina3
03-18-12, 11:08 AM
I wasn't in the states at that time, so, no, I don't remember that. I probably would've liked it. Except for changing school hours. That would've been a pain.

Plenty dark enough at 8 pm. Still cooking dinner at six, so I've never taken the kids out before 7:30 anyway. And now our dinner doesn't get interrupted as often with the earlier trick-or-treaters. :)

Awww, our town has a time set for trick-or-treating, you go between these hours, or you don't go at all, type of mentality. :p

piggiful
03-19-12, 12:19 PM
I moved my block about ahead for about 2 inches, and it still woke me up at the same time. I love my clock.

pinkster73
03-19-12, 01:14 PM
I moved my block about ahead for about 2 inches, and it still woke me up at the same time. I love my clock.

Your block woke you up? Cool!

piggiful
03-19-12, 02:36 PM
Your block woke you up? Cool!

Ha no, only if it falls and hits me on the head:-D
But my clock IS a cube.