PDA

View Full Version : Lent

iusedtobedigusr
02-24-12, 02:29 PM
I am Irish-Catholic, So was raised to never eat any meat on a Friday during Lent. I am getting bored with Pasta primavera, Eggplant, Eggs, fish etc over the years. Was thinking maybe on here, some Veggie ideas, not Vegan. I can eat eggs, fish, cheese etc. To make a Friday Night dinner.

pinkster73
02-24-12, 02:31 PM
I like hamburger helper made with tofu instead of hamburger.

greygull
02-24-12, 02:50 PM
There are many "no meat" meat substitutes now. I went looking for a friend, couldn't believe all the things I found. I believe most national grocery stores carry some, and I looked at Whole Foods Market.

pinkster73
02-24-12, 02:53 PM
There are many "no meat" meat substitutes now. I went looking for a friend, couldn't believe all the things I found. I believe most national grocery stores carry some, and I looked at Whole Foods Market.

And they're getting better tasting too.

iusedtobedigusr
02-24-12, 03:24 PM
Tofu is useless, I do hate that stuff... Sorry Pinkster, I don't want TOO many beans, since need protein but not tons,as I am a guy and my Angel still sleeps with me.

The substitutes are soy and unless really added to for taste suck and charge a fortune for them

iusedtobedigusr
02-24-12, 03:30 PM
What do you all think about this one? Not too much effort and video better, He did like 4 times and froze burgers. Used a pint container with saran wrap, and spooned till full.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/morgans-veggie-patties-recipe/index.html

RealFarmer1222
02-24-12, 03:42 PM
How about perogies(love 'em), mac and cheese(love it) or haluski (hate it).

RealFarmer1222
02-24-12, 03:43 PM
...and eat tofu. Farmers need to sell more soybeans.

RoseMiti
02-24-12, 03:52 PM
Onion soup
Tabouleh
Eggplant lasagna

iusedtobedigusr
02-24-12, 03:56 PM
Soy great now, So I hear, but will screw em up. Soylent Green, hmmm yummm.

I make my own perogies Cheese/Potato Saurkraut/Pot Chedder/POT etc, sorry spell check off and I am Irish and don't really care how spelled. Since I check and most words right, sorry TL bought the cheapest piece of garbage to spell check, They have mis spleelings,, OOPS

iusedtobedigusr
02-24-12, 04:04 PM
Farmers are getting to used to selling out then providing food, Yes Soy is good but not answer to world hunger. And yes the USA sorta sucks for aid to helping a farmer keep real crops.

iusedtobedigusr
02-24-12, 04:10 PM
Onion soup
Tabouleh
Eggplant lasagna

I do a souffle for Onion soup to make different, Eggplant YES I love...What is Tabouleh?

iusedtobedigusr
02-24-12, 04:29 PM
Onion soup
Tabouleh
Eggplant lasagna
On the eggplant, do you roast garlic, peppers, onions,zuchhini, yellow squash etc first with the eggplant.Then wilt spinach and add all the cheeses and drained spinach, cheeses.
Do you bread or not?
and if do, do you use italian or panko?

RoseMiti
02-24-12, 05:11 PM
1) Tabouleh is a lebanese recipe. It's very fresh. The ingredients are cucumber, tomato, parsley, onion and burghul. You eat it with pita bread.

2) Italian bread tastes better with this food.

RealFarmer1222
02-24-12, 05:55 PM
Perogies, mac n' cheese, haluski

iusedtobedigusr
02-24-12, 05:56 PM
I sorta do something similar, but no wheat and make a dressing of yogurt, lemon, garlic etc.. and a dip.

iusedtobedigusr
02-24-12, 06:01 PM

I saw Emeril redo some last night and looked like his mushroom empinada's were kicking. I have to go to planetgreen for recipe, But I love srhooms. And He asked if ever had a perogie, lol.

iusedtobedigusr
02-24-12, 06:09 PM

BTW, I love cabbage and pickled cabbage. I am 1/8 Pennsylvania Dutch, that is politically correct isn't it? But 3/4 Irish so I love cabbage.........WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHOP

RealFarmer1222
02-24-12, 06:12 PM
Alot of my cabbage gets turned into haluski.

pinkster73
02-24-12, 06:20 PM
Cabbage makes you fart :p

iusedtobedigusr
02-24-12, 06:34 PM
Yes, it does!! But since I have a bit of the Old Sod and Emerald Isle in me, Mine are fresher then a mountain dew with the kiss of a gentle morning breeze.

iusedtobedigusr
02-24-12, 06:36 PM
Alot of my cabbage gets turned into haluski.

With Dumplings or noodles and Hope thick,

iusedtobedigusr
02-24-12, 07:13 PM
OK dinner over and Mom was happy since she brought Mahi-Mahi, Gotta love when Mom stops by to see if eating right.

I made an aioli sauce with more lemon then garlic for my liking, But cooked the fish in oven with lotta butter and some lemon. Threw a quick Mac and cheese with white sharp cheddar and a little bit of ceyenne pepper together, thank god I still had some half and half. and while fish in oven roasted a few peppers onions carrots and tomatoes below it.

RealFarmer1222
02-24-12, 08:18 PM
Cabbage makes you fart :p

it also...ahhhhh...cleanses your bowels:o

iusedtobedigusr
02-24-12, 08:26 PM
But the sweetest toots a woman will ever hear as you pull the blankets over her head too!!!!

iusedtobedigusr
02-24-12, 08:31 PM
Sorry, I meant other men, I scratch my butt, burp and pass gas in other rooms, then blame the Dog if available. BUT I WOULD NEVER accuse any lady of ever ever passing gas.

iusedtobedigusr
02-25-12, 01:59 PM
Hey for the guys, I did my momma a good thing last night and guess what??? She came over today with a 16 oz Ribeye Steak for me and her 6 oz one. But also brought A nice Idaho to bake with fixings. including bacon. and OMG Cheesecake.

jimbobbillyray
02-25-12, 10:54 PM
Veggie quesadillas, Greek calzone, or vegetarian grape leaves...