PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, but really poor taste!

Superyalda
02-15-12, 02:37 AM
TL, I cannot believe that youre encouraging pet shops!
Do you know how many animals are bred in awful conditions to be sold in a cage? And only to be put down when they're not sold?
Do you know how many lovely animals are dying every day in shelters?
Really disappointed in this app and also the zoo app.
Shame on you!

klaatoo
02-15-12, 03:55 AM
I agree, Pet shops and Zoos are not politically correct these days, I'm sure there are plenty of pet shops and zoos which meet higher welfare standards these days. Hopefully the players of these games are responsible keepers of animals!

JuniperFruit
02-15-12, 04:50 AM
I wonder if you also campaign on games like Grand Theft Auto or Modern Warfare? This is just a game after all, they aren't real animals...And not every pet store does awful things.

MiniLaura
02-15-12, 06:27 AM
I agree, Pet shops and Zoos are not politically correct these days, I'm sure there are plenty of pet shops and zoos which meet higher welfare standards these days. Hopefully the players of these games are responsible keepers of animals!

Do not lump major zoos or even many mid-sized zoos into your "not politically correct" assessment. Zoos are actually big science labs where zoologists study animals, treat animal illnesses, and work to keep the population of endangered animals up. That is the primary function of zoos. Zoos just happen to get a large amount of their operational money by opening their doors to the general public so that other people can see the animals. The part of the zoo that you see is the just what they do so that they can get the REAL work done.

bobbyrae
02-15-12, 08:25 AM
TL, I cannot believe that youre encouraging pet shops!
Do you know how many animals are bred in awful conditions to be sold in a cage? And only to be put down when they're not sold?
Do you know how many lovely animals are dying every day in shelters?
Really disappointed in this app and also the zoo app.
Shame on you!

This is why I don't play these two games. I know they are only games and I'm sure none of the players here would ever be cruel to an animal, but just on principle I wouldn't play them. I don't even go to zoos in real life or purchase animals from pet shops.

driftboutique
02-15-12, 09:11 AM
I admit, I was hesitant about pet shop story for these reasons. That said, the pet shops where I live sell food and supplies and also partner with various rescues and shelters for adoptions. That's something I encourage wholeheartedly. So I named my shop "Drift Rescue" and I like to think of my pets as being adopted, not sold.

Zoos are an entirely different story. MiniLaura explained this beautifully.

bobbyrae
02-15-12, 09:33 AM
Do not lump major zoos or even many mid-sized zoos into your "not politically correct" assessment. Zoos are actually big science labs where zoologists study animals, treat animal illnesses, and work to keep the population of endangered animals up. That is the primary function of zoos. Zoos just happen to get a large amount of their operational money by opening their doors to the general public so that other people can see the animals. The part of the zoo that you see is the just what they do so that they can get the REAL work done.

I suspect my reason is that I just don't like to see animals caged or limited. I am grateful that zoos do this work of protection of animals, though.

Montegoe
02-15-12, 10:21 AM
Now that you mention it...there are bakeries that sell old sometimes moldy product as new, there are flashy clothing stores that profit from child labor in less fortunate areas, there are farms that mistreat animals and spread the harmful pesticides on thick, there are restaurants that have secrets that would make you sick (Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares!), there are nightclubs that are dens of illegal drugs and/or illegal activities....how many threads do you want to pull on that sweater before it all unravels and we're all a huddled mass of scaredy cats?

Instead of adding real world context to them maybe take them for what they are....games. TL is hardly the first company to have pet/animal/zoo themed games. They won't be the last. People use the games to escape the horrors of the real world.

For the record my Bakery Story bakery only sells fresh products, my Farm Story farm is 100% organic/free range, and my Nightclub has a security team that keeps me and my patrons safe. That's the beauty of games...you can make them be what you want them to be.

pinkster73
02-15-12, 10:54 AM
Now that you mention it...there are bakeries that sell old sometimes moldy product as new, there are flashy clothing stores that profit from child labor in less fortunate areas, there are farms that mistreat animals and spread the harmful pesticides on thick, there are restaurants that have secrets that would make you sick (Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares!), there are nightclubs that are dens of illegal drugs and/or illegal activities....how many threads do you want to pull on that sweater before it all unravels and we're all a huddled mass of scaredy cats?

Instead of adding real world context to them maybe take them for what they are....games. TL is hardly the first company to have pet/animal/zoo themed games. They won't be the last. People use the games to escape the horrors of the real world.

For the record my Bakery Story bakery only sells fresh products, my Farm Story farm is 100% organic/free range, and my Nightclub has a security team that keeps me and my patrons safe. That's the beauty of games...you can make them be what you want them to be.

Here here. And you forgot the stick thin models in fashion.

pinkster73
02-15-12, 10:56 AM
ps Im an animal rescue activist so don't start.

AuntyRose32
02-15-12, 11:21 AM

Well said.

AuntyRose32
02-15-12, 11:24 AM

.....and couldn't agree more.

Superyalda
02-15-12, 11:52 AM
I not saying the world is a perfect place. Restaurants cook meat, dead animals, and my restaurant is level 96.
I don't want to take this out of proportion. I know it's just a game, but the message is twisted.
I just think that there needs to be some message to the player that breeding puppies or buying an elephant is wrong, a pandoras box of unnecessary cruelties.
But there's a subliminal message. It's ok to breed fashion pets - and leave unwanted pets in shelters to die ... it's ok to buy an elephant - and not care about where it came from.
Maybe TL could create a game to rebuild the rainforest instead?
Maybe TL could donate a percentage of the profits from these games to shelters or zoos?
I just wanted to bring this to light. With all the popups and ads on the games for these two stories, TL could easily send a healthier message.

dalula
02-15-12, 05:17 PM
I had wondered about this but the people dont actually "buy" the pets. not that i'm against this issue. i personally am an animal lover.

omgeezitsvikki
02-16-12, 10:18 AM
My 5 year old plays this game because she loves pets. Our family has adopted animals since I myself was a child. This is a game, not a game to teach morals. If you would like to complain about the morals of games then why not get upset over Call of Duty, or the other millions of pet shop games out there. It's also not like any really animals are being harmed while playing on your iPhone.

omgeezitsvikki
02-16-12, 10:23 AM
Also TL is making a LOT of money from all these games; that's all any business cares about. As long as they're making money, they don't care.

sourlicorice2
02-16-12, 10:28 AM
I'd have to agree Pet shop is only a game. Maybe TL could make a disclaimer : No real animals were harmed in the making of this game :p

uwantoplay
02-16-12, 02:23 PM
I'd have to agree Pet shop is only a game. Maybe TL could make a disclaimer : No real animals were harmed in the making of this game :p

Exactly!! And who is to say that TL does not contribute to non-profit organizations. I play both games and I am an extreme animal activist! I volunteer for the Golden Retrieve Rescue Club in my home state, foster animals, donate a lot of money to shelters as well as help shut down puppy mills. The name of my shop is 4Ever Friends because to me every pet, whether bought, rescued, found, or appeared on my acreage will and always will be my 4Ever Friends. There is a lot of violent games out there which create a lot more problems in Society than creating a virtual animal game.

sourlicorice2
02-17-12, 07:10 PM
Exactly!! And who is to say that TL does not contribute to non-profit organizations. I play both games and I am an extreme animal activist! I volunteer for the Golden Retrieve Rescue Club in my home state, foster animals, donate a lot of money to shelters as well as help shut down puppy mills. The name of my shop is 4Ever Friends because to me every pet, whether bought, rescued, found, or appeared on my acreage will and always will be my 4Ever Friends. There is a lot of violent games out there which create a lot more problems in Society than creating a virtual animal game.

I agree .......................

freshfoods
02-17-12, 08:12 PM
it has nothing to do with that so chill out

kb72
02-17-12, 08:35 PM
Can we all get a LIFE, this is a GAME, make believe NOT real!!!!!! I cannot believe that this is even a DISCUSION, talk about the GAMES! Yes I said GAMES!!!!!

cast1532
02-17-12, 09:11 PM
Wow. I never saw the games in a bad perspective. I don't have pets and I don't want to because I don't want to clean after them. My cousin who lives with me has a dog and I love her. Playing Pet Shop is like having my own pets without doing the dirty work.

It just a game and the games are meant to be a distraction.

pinkster73
02-17-12, 09:40 PM
Can we all get a LIFE, this is a GAME, make believe NOT real!!!!!! I cannot believe that this is even a DISCUSION, talk about the GAMES! Yes I said GAMES!!!!!

Where were you when people were offended by the Valentines pond? Tee hee

viviansmo
02-17-12, 10:10 PM
Where were you when people were offended by the Valentines pond? Tee hee

People were offended by the heart ponds??

MiniLaura
02-18-12, 06:06 AM
They were annoyed because they were called "Valentines ponds." Apparently, you can't have something named for a holiday on you farm (or in your shop, city, etc) after the holiday is over. Or something like that.

pinkster73
02-18-12, 11:45 AM
People were offended by the heart ponds??

They were offended by Valentines ponds. They suggested it be changed to heart pond. I kid you not.

kooky panda
02-18-12, 01:24 PM
I do not believe they were annoyed, it was more a suggestion to use more general descriptions for items, instead of valentine, christmas, easter, etc, since some players do not celebrate these holidays.

pinkster73
02-18-12, 02:09 PM
I do not believe they were annoyed, it was more a suggestion to use more general descriptions for items, instead of valentine, christmas, easter, etc, since some players do not celebrate these holidays.

You're right. My choice of words was wrong.

viviansmo
02-18-12, 02:19 PM
Ah, I see....I'm more of the "call it what you want, it's pretty!" type.

kooky panda
02-18-12, 03:26 PM

ditto.............

pinkster73
02-18-12, 04:26 PM

Me too. Oooooh a water feature, and its heart shaped. Good enough for me.

kb72
02-18-12, 05:49 PM
I still think this is all NUTS!!! Remember it IS A GAME meant for enjoyment and fun. There is enough of the politically correction in the real wold PLEASE get a life and leave it out of the GAME!!!

pinkster73
02-18-12, 05:51 PM
I still think this is all NUTS!!! Remember it IS A GAME meant for enjoyment and fun. There is enough of the politically correction in the real wold PLEASE get a life and leave it out of the GAME!!!

I am offended by your use of the word nuts. Just kidding :p:p:p

queentina3
02-18-12, 07:05 PM
Me too. Oooooh a water feature, and its heart shaped. Good enough for me.

Ahhh, but what if that water feature that is heart shaped isn't pink? Then what? :p

pinkster73
02-18-12, 07:33 PM
Ahhh, but what if that water feature that is heart shaped isn't pink? Then what? :p

I still love it. We need ponds and other water stuff in farm. I don't care what its called.

casadolce
02-18-12, 07:45 PM
I hesitated, but I downloaded PSS anyway because I love dogs and want to own them in my game. But I stopped playing because the game was zzzzz boring.

In real life I oppose to puppy mills and pet stores selling animals.

Pet shop and zoo games are not as bad taste as the mobster games that TL/Storm8 tried so hard to make us download.

Superyalda
02-28-12, 06:32 AM
I find it offensive. That's all.

Thoughts? I'd love to know that TL donates part of their profits from PSS to shelters. Now that would be redeeming. Or maybe a monthly pop-up reminding players that real pet shops are unethical and inhumane. With all TL's popups, why not one more.

Have fun playing it but be aware that millions of unwanted pets die every year due to the type of ignorance being projected.

Sorry. It's just how I feel.

driftboutique
02-28-12, 06:50 AM
I find it offensive. That's all.

Thoughts? I'd love to know that TL donates part of their profits from PSS to shelters. Now that would be redeeming. Or maybe a monthly pop-up reminding players that real pet shops are unethical and inhumane. With all TL's popups, why not one more.

Have fun playing it but be aware that millions of unwanted pets die every year due to the type of ignorance being projected.

Sorry. It's just how I feel.

Pet overpopulation was a problem long before this game existed and will continue to be a problem long after it fades into obscurity. And disagreeing with your opinion doesn't make someone ignorant.

blanketsofluv
02-28-12, 08:14 AM
Ive been a vegan for fifteen years and nothing will change me and an avid protector to the welfare of animals...this is a virtual world use your energy on the real vulnerable animals . I would put any animal and my dear pets before myself or this game. Get some perspective and realise the greater good you could be doing in this world . These games arent the enemy mankind is

kirbydee3713
02-28-12, 08:16 AM
It is just a game. Nobody is being forced to play. I understand your point. Trust me. In my studies I have done every persuasive essay and speech on the horrors of backyard breeders (this a term, I don't mean all breeders), puppy mills, and pet shops. The problem is always going to be there. Not enough puppies or dogs of certain breeds pass through local shelters. Those with patience can find what they are looking for. I have volunteered through countless rescue groups and shelters and most of my pets have always been adopted. This really is just a game. If we got literal I would be angry at how tiny the pens are in it and so many other things.

I think what you are trying to say us admirable, but you'll catch more flies with honey. I think your point would be better heard if you had made a post about real shops with solid arguments and information. Then again, I don't know if that's allowed lol.

Basically, while I may out of boredom head into a pet shop and mutter about puppy mills behind potential buyers... I don't think there is anything wrong with the game.

karmasue
02-28-12, 03:47 PM
Ok I agree with a lot of you. Most pet stores sell pets from puppy mills if u don't know what it is ugh look it up only if u can stomach it. I'm also an animal activist I house animals until we find a home for them because my shelter isn't no ****. I completly disagree w over breeding animals and buying them from a store when there is a perfectly good animal at the shelter that really needs help! Over 300 cats get put down a month at my shelter!! But come on people this is a game! Just like montegosaid it's what u make it!! My pet shop is needy animals getting a second shot at life, they all get nutered or spaued before leaving lol I don't have a zoo but if I did it'd do exactly what it's suppose to help animals!!

karmasue
02-28-12, 03:49 PM
O and please have your real life animals spayed or neutered! Many shelters help w this! Thanks

mrsdash
02-28-12, 05:55 PM
I think maybe teamlava just wanted to make games with cute animals. I doubt if these issues were really thought through when coming up with the game ideas. Maybe they could have made Pet Shelter Story instead of Pet Shop Story, which might have been cool but also might have been really depressing. I just love the teamlava games and I'm happy to play games with puppies in them :) its not a reflection of anyone's real life decisions. I have never bought a dog or cat from a pet store; only adopted.

newlife02
02-28-12, 06:46 PM
 I love the looks on my granddaughter and great niece (sister's gd) when we play pet story. They love when the babies are born. They get so excited!!! And love to watch the people as they buy the pets and they walk out with them.... And I LOVE WATCHING THEM, when they smile!!! (accept when I tell them we have to have money to buy animals, and a lot fg money, lol! If you want to complain about a game, at least it could be the 149 gems that cost for little ones to get all the pets.

pinkster73
02-28-12, 07:04 PM
People need to realize this is just a game. An escape from reality. And don't start, I'm an animal rescue activist.

dillydiner
03-11-12, 01:54 PM
The worst thing about this game is when animals get sick and if you don't spend gems to heal them you have to abandon them....ugh! Awful! I uninstalled immediately after that....shame on you Teamlava...it is one thing for food to spoil but another to hold an animal hostage!!!!

Superyalda
03-13-12, 05:04 AM
 I love the looks on my granddaughter and great niece (sister's gd) when we play pet story. They love when the babies are born. They get so excited!!! And love to watch the people as they buy the pets and they walk out with them.... And I LOVE WATCHING THEM, when they smile!!! (accept when I tell them we have to have money to buy animals, and a lot fg money, lol! If you want to complain about a game, at least it could be the 149 gems that cost for little ones to get all the pets.

Im genuinely happy that you and your great niece have fun with the game. I mean, it is really "cute."

I also hope that you explain to her the reality of the business. Games can also be educational. Let her know that REAL pet shops are inhumane and in REAL pet shops the animals suffer incredibly. Remind her, as you play, that in real-life, the right thing to do is to spay/neuter pets and to adopt from a shelter ... Never ever buy from a pet shop.

kattybell
03-13-12, 05:09 AM
People need to realize this is just a game. An escape from reality.

I second this.

queentina3
03-13-12, 08:19 AM
Im genuinely happy that you and your great niece have fun with the game. I mean, it is really "cute."

I also hope that you explain to her the reality of the business. Games can also be educational. Let her know that REAL pet shops are inhumane and in REAL pet shops the animals suffer incredibly. Remind her, as you play, that in real-life, the right thing to do is to spay/neuter pets and to adopt from a shelter ... Never ever buy from a pet shop.

Yes, because those poor animals at the pet shop deserve to not have a home. I mean it's their fault that they're there right? :rolleyes:

bobbyrae
03-13-12, 09:17 AM
Yes, because those poor animals at the pet shop deserve to not have a home. I mean it's their fault that they're there right? :rolleyes:
It isn't their fault that they're there, but at the same time it's always better to encourage people to rescue animals instead of buying them. I've always been resistant to the idea of paying for a pet when there are so many lovely animals at shelters.

At the same time, it's better for someone to buy a pet and take care of it than to take a shelter animal who has been abused and who has a hard time adjusting to its new home and then have that person abuse or abandon the animal.

It's all such a conundrum as to what is best.

And yes, i fully support the spay and neuter programme. It works in keeping the stray animal population down in my community and thus the number of animals poisoned by ruthless persons.

queentina3
03-13-12, 11:28 AM
It isn't their fault that they're there, but at the same time it's always better to encourage people to rescue animals instead of buying them. I've always been resistant to the idea of paying for a pet when there are so many lovely animals at shelters.

At the same time, it's better for someone to buy a pet and take care of it than to take a shelter animal who has been abused and who has a hard time adjusting to its new home and then have that person abuse or abandon the animal.

It's all such a conundrum as to what is best.

And yes, i fully support the spay and neuter programme. It works in keeping the stray animal population down in my community and thus the number of animals poisoned by ruthless persons.

I agree over rescuing as many as possible, but those poor animals in the shop get left out and aren't treated nearly as well as the ones that are in the shelters (at least from what I've read). So I do feel bad for them as well. The 2 cats I have I got from a shelter and the youngest was only a baby at 8 weeks, but the older one was over 2 years old and had been a stray before the shelter got her and she'd been at the shelter for almost 7 months. It took her 5 - 6 months to acclimate and the thing that got through to her, was when we put them both in the kennel at our vets to go away on a 5 day vacation to NYC over xmas. When we came back she was like a WHOLE different cat. I guess being in the kennel was too much like being in the shelter and her whole attitude changed. LOL

bobbyrae
03-13-12, 11:54 AM
...the thing that got through to her, was when we put them both in the kennel at our vets to go away on a 5 day vacation to NYC over xmas. When we came back she was like a WHOLE different cat. I guess being in the kennel was too much like being in the shelter and her whole attitude changed. LOL
lol...The other cat probably said, "See?! Now look where you and your attitude has gotten both of us! You better just start praying and hoping that she changes her mind and comes back for us...eeedjit!" :p

sourlicorice2
03-13-12, 04:17 PM
The worst thing about this game is when animals get sick and if you don't spend gems to heal them you have to abandon them....ugh! Awful! I uninstalled immediately after that....shame on you Teamlava...it is one thing for food to spoil but another to hold an animal hostage!!!!

Ummm the animals aren't real!

pinkster73
03-13-12, 04:22 PM
Ummm the animals aren't real!

What?! Omg my whole game is ruined now :p

sourlicorice2
03-13-12, 08:18 PM
What?! Omg my whole game is ruined now :p

Lol I know. I was devastated when I found out :p