PDA

View Full Version : America vs. England - The Dog Naming War of 2006

Montegoe
02-03-12, 10:10 AM
Since 2006 there has been a debate in my house between my wife and I regarding how to spell our dog's name.

My wife is originally from England (Essex ? The "Jersey Shore" of England) and if you don?t already know there are differences between how some words are spelled and/or pronounced between King's English (England/Canada/Australia for the most part) and American English. Knowing that this forum has people from England and Canada I am looking for some other opinions.

Our Adorable chocolate lab is named Miya/Maya (depending on how you want to spell it).

I spell it Maya and pronounce it M-eye-ah. When you think of the Mayan calendar and how in 10 or so months we're all done for, that's how I spell and say her name?.M-eye-ah.

My wife spells it Miya and pronounces it the same way?.M-eye-ah. To me this is Mia or Me-uh and not M-eye-ah.

She keeps saying that because the 5th month (May) is pronounced like it is that Maya cannot possibly be pronounced M-eye-ah. She also says that in England, it would be spelled Miya.

I think she's nuts. My normal argument is that the word originates from Central America (Guatemala?) based on the Mayan civilization and if you're going to pronounce it M-eye-ah it should be spelled Maya. She keeps saying that Maya would be pronounced "May-uh" (think month of May when saying that in your head).

So British/Canadian/Australian forum goers, where you come from is it *really* spelled Miya if you pronounce it M-eye-ah?

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r104/montegoe/maya-1.jpg

P.S. All of her paperwork and vet records have it as "Miya" so you know who won the battle, but I will *never* give up....NEVER!!!! They will have to pry the proper spelling (Maya) from my cold, dead, hands :)

nathan2111
02-03-12, 10:23 AM
Soz have to agree with the wife, Maya is "may -a" whereas miya is "m -eye-a"

pinkster73
02-03-12, 10:25 AM
You are right. The wifey is wrong.

pinkster73
02-03-12, 10:26 AM
***disclaimer***

Women are always right though :p

Limaxa
02-03-12, 11:01 AM
I would pronounce it like you do.. But i'm not from an english speaking Country^^ anyway your version sounds better. And your dog is really cute:)

sumnboutme
02-03-12, 11:29 AM
You are right. The wifey is wrong.

I agree with pinkster. And your dog is sper cute!

nmishii
02-03-12, 11:35 AM
You are right. That's how I pronounce it.

AuntyRose32
02-03-12, 11:45 AM
Sorry the wife's right on this......nobody speaking Kings English would look at Maya and pronounce it M-eye-ah.

aiyayu
02-03-12, 11:56 AM
I spell it Maya and pronounce it M-eye-ah.

When I see Maya I pronounce it as My-ah

When I see Miya I pronounce it as Me-ah

I say you two go with Mya since it looks and sounds like My-ah.

yummum2
02-03-12, 11:57 AM
Sorry your wife is correct. Thats how i would spell it. And yes i too am English. Then again all English guys would know never to disagree with an Essex girl ( they will always win) x

aiyayu
02-03-12, 11:58 AM
sorry for double post but there is not edit fuction here...

correction: When I see Miya I pronounce it as Me-yah I had forgotten the y

mimisarah
02-03-12, 12:35 PM
You are right!!! your dog is adoooorable. BTW as a child I remember a carton called MAYA THE BEE?? Check is out and show it too your wife LOL

Montegoe
02-03-12, 12:35 PM
It looks like it's about 50/50 so far. I sent her a link to this thread and her response was "Bloody cheek!" referring to my posting it LOL.

pinkster73
02-03-12, 12:42 PM
It looks like it's about 50/50 so far. I sent her a link to this thread and her response was "Bloody cheek!" referring to my posting it LOL.

She should like "the wife is always right, even when she's wrong" :p

driftboutique
02-03-12, 01:06 PM
I'm with you! I would pronounce Maya and Miya exactly as you described. To be fair, though, I have never heard the name Miya (as in Mee-yah), only Mia. Maya is a much more common name and as far as I know, throughout North America it's pronounced M-eye-ah.

queentina3
02-03-12, 05:43 PM
I agree with you OP, however, as I'm a woman I have to side with the wife. A woman is NEVER wrong, even when we really are, you should know this. I ROFL over the "bloody cheek" as one of my best friends mother's growing up was English and she used to say that to us ALL THE TIME when we would crack jokes at her.

viviansmo
02-03-12, 07:11 PM
I agree with you on spelling and pronunciation. Cute dog!