PDA

View Full Version : What does one do in London?

sylvie4163
01-15-12, 09:27 PM
Hi all!
I'm traveling to London with a few friends.
We are going all across Europe but will be in London the longest.
We are going to: London (obviously), France (Paris, to be exact).
We will be in London for a week and Paris for a week.
Then we are flying to Venice and will be there for two weeks.

Anyone know of anything really good to do at those places? Of course we have done the research, (uh, google, to be exact) and have found the most popular places to visit.
I figured since people from all around the world, and people who've traveled all around the world:), play these games and go on the forums I might get some extra "help" here.

Thanks!

Sylvie4163

And.
I'm trying to go through my bucket list, so, anyone know where the best place to see the Aurora Borealis is?? Thanks!! :o

nmishii
01-15-12, 09:31 PM
In London: Tower of London. British Museum, changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace, Harrods. More, but can't think of them at the moment.

If you want to take a train outside of London: Windsor Castle, Stratford-upon-Avon (Shakespear's home), Stonehenge, Bath, Cotswolds

sylvie4163
01-15-12, 09:37 PM
Hi all!
I'm traveling to London with a few friends.
We are going all across Europe but will be in London the longest.
We are going to: London (obviously), France (Paris, to be exact).
We will be in London for a week and Paris for a week.
Then we are flying to Venice and will be there for two weeks.

Anyone know of anything really good to do at those places? Of course we have done the research, (uh, google, to be exact) and have found the most popular places to visit.
I figured since people from all around the world, and people who've traveled all around the world:), play these games and go on the forums I might get some extra "help" here.

Thanks!

Sylvie4163

And.
I'm trying to go through my bucket list, so, anyone know where the best place to see the Aurora Borealis is?? Thanks!! :o
Dang, lol, meant we will be in London longest, two weeks, Venice one week -__-
lol.

driftboutique
01-15-12, 09:39 PM
The highlight of my trip to Paris was the Musee d'Orsay. I vastly preferred it to the Louvre. Also, in Paris they serve hot chocolate with sugar cubes. Fabulous!

I want to see the aurora too, preferably here. (http://www.kakslauttanen.fi/en/accommodation/) check out the glass viewing igloos. There is apparently another amazing phenomenon you can see there too, I forget the name.

Edit: it's called Kaamos.

Kaamos is a mystical period between December and January when the sun does not rise at all. Nonetheless it is light from 10 in the morning till 15 in the afternoon (the light period lasts around five hours). White snow makes this period much lighter and this is also the best time to see Northern Lights. Kaamos is a time of phenomenal Arctic light performance, during which sky is blue when look North and red in the south. Around 2PM every day so called "a blue moment" takes place, when everything including the sky and snow turns blue for 15 minutes. This unique nature phenomenon occurs only here in the Arctic area and you cannot encounter it anywhere else in the world.

nmishii
01-15-12, 09:42 PM
Paris: Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Arc de Triomphe, Champs de Elysse, Sacre coeur montmartre, Notre Dame, catacombs. Eat, eat, and eat.

Day trip to the Palace of Versailles.

sylvie4163
The highlight of my trip to Paris was the Mus?e d'Orsay. I vastly preferred it to the Louvre. Also, in Paris they serve hot chocolate with sugar cubes. Fabulous!

I want to see the aurora too, preferably here. (http://www.kakslauttanen.fi/en/accommodation/) check out the glass viewing igloos. There is apparently another amazing phenomenon you can see there too, I forget the name.

Love the glass viewing igloos. Thanks for the link! I'll have to check it out :D

pinkster73
In London: Tower of London. British Museum, changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace, Harrods. More, but can't think of them at the moment.

If you want to take a train outside of London: Windsor Castle, Stratford-upon-Avon (Shakespear's home), Stonehenge, Bath, Cotswolds

I found stonehenge to be a real let down. Great for about 5 minutes. You can't even go close to the stones. I was VERY impressed with the cute sheep in the field next to it though. At the stonehenge gift shop I bought a stuffed sheep.

You must see the tower of London and traitors gate. And ride around on random double decker buses. VERY fun!

nmishii
01-15-12, 09:55 PM
I liked Stonehenge.

I took one of the dungeon tours in London. I wouldn't recommend it. Also saw a play and a Harry Potter movie. $$$$$ vs $$ in Southern California and the same.

And if you go into a restaurant in Paris and want to order a soda, make sure you check the price. I paid $7.50 USD for a 1-liter glass back when they still had francs.

pinkster73
01-15-12, 09:58 PM
I liked Stonehenge.

I took one of the dungeon tours in London. I wouldn't recommend it. Also saw a play and a Harry Potter movie. $$$$$ vs $$ in Southern California and the same.

And if you go into a restaurant in Paris and want to order a soda, make sure you check the price. I paid $7.50 USD for a 1-liter glass back when they still had francs.

I took a few dungeon tours in London. I loved them. I guess we won't travel London together :p

nmishii
01-15-12, 10:07 PM
I took a few dungeon tours in London. I loved them. I guess we won't travel London together :p

I guess not. But we both liked the Tower of London.

I haven't been there in a long time. The last time was just after the Queen Mother passed. Our flight left Heathrow one minute after her funeral started. She was alive when we booked our flights.

sylvie4163
01-15-12, 10:13 PM
The tower of London seems cool. Thanks!
Any good restaurants that you went to? If you can remember :o

pinkster73
01-15-12, 10:14 PM
The tower of London seems cool. Thanks!
Any good restaurants that you went to? If you can remember :o

Pubs. Corner pubs. I had some of the best food in dives

nmishii
01-15-12, 10:31 PM
I liked the pubs better than the restaurants too. I liked the fish and chips. Have to try bangers and mash and mushy peas.

Wait a couple of hours for Rachael. He'll know.

chocohk
01-15-12, 11:18 PM
BATH is beautiful

and visit all the museums and take time to watch a play

pinkster73
01-15-12, 11:38 PM
I liked the pubs better than the restaurants too. I liked the fish and chips. Have to try bangers and mash and mushy peas.

Wait a couple of hours for Rachael. He'll know.

Rachael only eats healthy food. He said he hasn't eaten fast food in years

nmishii
01-15-12, 11:48 PM
Rachael only eats healthy food. He said he hasn't eaten fast food in years

Okay. Maybe he won't be helpful then. You can eat whatever you want on vacations and holidays. Calories, cholesterol, etc don't count.

pinkster73
01-15-12, 11:56 PM
Okay. Maybe he won't be helpful then. You can eat whatever you want on vacations and holidays. Calories, cholesterol, etc don't count.

Exactly. Holidays are a food and drink free for all. Everything is miraculously calorie and fat free!

saintlover
01-16-12, 12:47 AM
I am going again in March... i cant wait! This will be my 3rd trip to London. I recommend taking the double decker bus tour. You can get on and off throughout the day and you get to see everything. Ive done it twice and cant wait to do it again this next trip. London just fascinates me! are you getting Britrail and Eruorail passes? Make sure you order your oyster card for the tube in advance too. PM me if you need any of the website information that sells this stuff. Have a great trip!

nicola_grant
01-16-12, 12:55 AM
Woo I'm going to London for two nights next month. I love London so make sure I go at least once per year. Although, the stuff I like London for is probably not what others prefer. Haha. I mainly just go for the cool shops. My favourites are the David and Golieth shop, Artbox, a couple of Chinese owned shops in the Trocodero, and some of the shops in China town.
The two places I really reccomend making sure you visit are Covent Garden, and Camden Town. Camden isn't in the centre of London, but it's easy enough to get there by tube. I would just reccomend trying not to go to Camden on a weekend if possible as they confuse matters by shutting Camden Town tube station in the afternoons on weekends. It's still easy enough to get to but you have to know that! Haha.

nicola_grant
01-16-12, 12:57 AM
Oh, and the obvious thing is to go and see a Westend show. I reccomend though, if you are doing this, to book the tickets in advance online so that you can choose seats etc. All of the little booking offices all round London sell tickets but offer you really good deals and you end up having to use binoculars to see anything (literally - they provide the binoculars!)

mimisarah
01-16-12, 01:39 AM
OMG I LOVE LOVE LONDON THE best of all, Coven Garden is a must and seat and enjoy some music and if you are lucky a funny street show, China Town just some blocks from Coven Garden, Trafalgar Square I walk down there to Buckingham Palace (St. James all that) and check the palace web site they give inf on schedule for the guard change it is a treat and please please try to make a guard talk they can't move there lips but they will talk LOL. Westminster abbey closed on tuesdays, Parlament and Big Ben you can go in some part of Parlament but have to ticked in advance. Eye of London, Tower Bridge I THINK IS GORGEOUS, Piccadilly go to a show, o Globe Theather Shakespeare right off Milenium Brige.....OMG so much......and OUT of LONDON sooo much you will love it.

Paris has soo much too don't miss the SHOW in Moulin Rouge, It is fabulous....

Venezia I like, it has a charm....Gondola you should do it goes from €80 to €120 it takes only 30 min to 45 min with traffic (lol yes gondola traffic) I recoment to take the guys in front Hotel Danieli or in the side of the Gran Canal, the guys in betwin will charge more for less. They have many things many, even if it is small. One week is alot you may have time to venture Padua or Verona :)

PM me if you like it is to long LOL

nicola_grant
01-16-12, 02:41 AM
^^ Just to correct, it's CovenT Garden.

mimisarah
01-16-12, 03:06 AM
Thank you....and sorry

zoroak
01-16-12, 04:09 AM
Would recommend a boat cruise along the river Thames, stops off at various pts including Tower of London, great view of Tower bridge from boat. Good commentary on board about sights along the way. You can get on on Westminster side just across from the London Eye. I lived in London for a year before moving up North.

hale1869
01-16-12, 01:57 PM
Everything is very compact in London, Big Ben, London Eye, Trafalgar Square and Picadilly Circus are all in short walking distance between each other. If you want to go around London as well there is Stonehenge and if you want to go to Stratford Upon Avon (Birthplace and Burial site of Shakespeare) there is also a castle nearby called Warwick Castle that is also a local landmark. When are you going? Stay away during the Olympics

casadolce
01-16-12, 02:11 PM
I've never been to London except for transferring flights to/from Paris. This thread makes me want to go to London on the next flight available...

I was told you're either a Paris person or a London person. I love Paris already. Is it possible that I will love London as well?

Anyway, OP, have a great time traveling around Europe!

shakiba
01-16-12, 02:39 PM
THE TOWER OF LONDON!

anyways... have fun! I bet u will ;)

Rachael98
01-16-12, 04:24 PM
You guys have deep pockets:p.

London's most famous attractions are expensive. Because it's London.

The underground is great, so I recommend getting an Oyster card for two weeks (it gives you access to all Transport for London transport in your zones), and the sightseeing us is a must for a few days.

There are also some great places to visit along the mainline, only a few hours from London. You can pop in for a good English cuppa:p. Well, maybe not, but there are some great places!
Obviously you have to go to: London Eye, Chinatown, Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament (you can even go in), lots of great shopping and fine dining (fine...not fast food, unless you want fast food:p). HMS Belfast is also well worth a visit, as are the many museums and, of course, the Olympic Stadiums! I've never been on a Thames river cruise, but they're meant to be great.

Lots to do, if in doubt, go to a Tourist Information centre. There are plenty, and lots of people willing to help:).

pinkster73
01-16-12, 04:29 PM
I have been to Buckingham Palace 4 times and sat on the round stairs thingee in front of it and the queen was not there a single time. Sigh

Rachael98
01-16-12, 04:33 PM
I have been to Buckingham Palace 4 times and sat on the round stairs thingee in front of it and the queen was not there a single time. Sigh

You can go and have afternoon tea with her if you book...

My friend got her head stuck in the railings peering through once. Funny;).

pinkster73
01-16-12, 04:36 PM

Now that's funny. Did the beefeaters pull her out or just stare ahead?

nmishii
01-16-12, 04:37 PM
We toured Windsor Castle and that night on the news heard that the queen was there that day. I didn't see her, but that's the closest I got to her.

pinkster73
01-16-12, 04:39 PM
We toured Windsor Castle and that night on the news heard that the queen was there that day. I didn't see her, but that's the closest I got to her.

I was on the streets with my Grandma when Charles and Di got married. We have pics but I don't remember it at all. I'm not even sure I saw anything. I was 4.

sylvie4163
01-16-12, 04:43 PM

I shall try to get in, lol. It would be fun to have tea with the queen ;)
But I'd much rather eat with prince Harry or Will and Kate haha

nmishii
01-16-12, 05:12 PM
I was on the streets with my Grandma when Charles and Di got married. We have pics but I don't remember it at all. I'm not even sure I saw anything. I was 4.

I was older than you, and saw it on TV in the middle of the night. The next day someone said that she remembered watching the Queen's coronation in 1952. I thought, "wow, she's old, I wasn't even born then."

When Prince William and Kate got married last year, it was me remembering watching Charles and Di' wedding. And thinking that people born after their marriage were thinking I was old.

Its about the same difference in years.

pinkster73
01-16-12, 10:22 PM
I would have loved to go there and try to see William and Kate's wedding. Unfortunately my husband thought that was a total waste of time and money.

felicitybliss
01-16-12, 11:10 PM
My favorite thing to do in London: Date :). You can meet the biggest idiot or lout and he seems so much better due to the wonderful accent :)

Many others pointed out fabulous activities. I would add to the list the Florence nightingale museum. The tour was great--showed the evolution of nursing/health care. The tour guides are wildly informative.