PDA

View Full Version : how many hours do you spend working a day?

mushroom79
01-15-12, 09:46 AM
how many hours do you spend working a day?

well, its almost impossible to have any work-life balance on my side, so just finding out whats it like for everyone else.

sourlicorice2
01-15-12, 10:02 AM
I work 7:30 to 4:30. 10 hours a day. Weekends off.

pinkster73
01-15-12, 10:02 AM
As a stay at home mom/domestic goddess my shift is VERY long. And I never get to leave to go home :p

viviansmo
01-15-12, 10:12 AM
I have a flexible schedule but average 8 to 9 hrs a day with most weekends off.

Limaxa
01-15-12, 10:35 AM
I go to School from 7:45 am to 4 pm.. I think School is also hard work :P

sumnboutme
01-15-12, 10:41 AM
I am looking for a job right now (which is also quite like a full time job)

sterlingempire
01-15-12, 11:37 AM
I go to School from 7:45 am to 4 pm.. I think School is also hard work :P

Very. Mine is 8AM - 3:45PM

felicitybliss
01-15-12, 11:42 AM
14-18 hours a day...7 days a week....on bad days, then it goes up much higher....

sterlingempire
01-15-12, 11:44 AM
14-18 hours a day...7 days a week....on bad days, then it goes up much higher....

What is your job? Thats a lot!

felicitybliss
01-15-12, 11:47 AM
What is your job? Thats a lot!

I rebuild healthcare systems, particularly in places that are in turmoil--typically war or natural disaster.

pinkster73
01-15-12, 11:53 AM
I rebuild healthcare systems, particularly in places that are in turmoil--typically war or natural disaster.

Can you rebuild Canada's? The wait time for neurosurgery is ridiculous. Great, thanks :)

sumnboutme
01-15-12, 11:57 AM
Can you rebuild Canada's? The wait time for neurosurgery is ridiculous. Great, thanks :)

How about rebuilding the US healthcare system? :) not possible without pissing off a bunch of people (and people with a lot of money and a lot at stake) but here's hoping :D

pinkster73
01-15-12, 12:00 PM
How about rebuilding the US healthcare system? :) not possible without pissing off a bunch of people (and people with a lot of money and a lot at stake) but here's hoping :D

Ok she can do both. Thanks felicitybliss, you're the greatest!

sumnboutme
01-15-12, 12:01 PM
Ok she can do both. Thanks felicitybliss, you're the greatest!

Yes, I agree (at the very least I'm optimistic). I hope she'll still have time to play :p

pinkster73
01-15-12, 12:03 PM
Someone should let her know we've decided she's going to do that.

sumnboutme
01-15-12, 12:15 PM
Someone should let her know we've decided she's going to do that.

Lol, you do it. I can't bring myself to give anyone "bad" news.

pinkster73
01-15-12, 12:19 PM
I posted the link on her wall tee hee

felicitybliss
01-15-12, 12:29 PM

Actually, there are many good and many bad things about both the canadian and US systems. The Canadian system has a fabulous preventative care system that prevents many issues from occurring so there isnt an overwhelming demand for higher level services such as cardiovascular services. The bad part is "cost management" or "quota system" of the needed higher services such as neurosurgery. In the US, there is a terrible preventative care problem (coupled with lack of personal accountability) that creates more people needing higher level services at a tremendously greater cost.

I agree that the US system is extremely difficult to solve, particularly with apathetic people. The US has no overall plan to actually cut costs, treat more people, create individual accountability, etc. In my opinion, there is a strong base of untapped resources in the US that could be utilized to have a greater impact on individual health---which are public health centers. If those were used to capacity, it would greatly improve health care outcomes.

I have worked on US healthcare in Appalachia (which was comparable to 3rd world nations in the 1960-70s). I went to Canada to review its system and write a "lessons learned" series. Mostly, I work in 3rd to 5th world countries.

My personal favorite system is a mix of everyone's system---a little bit of USA, canada, uk, Italy, France, iran, south Africa, etc, etc.....

My work is usually due to a crisis--example: 200 kids died from xxxx so there is a need to force the system to react, intervene, and stop whatever--while forcing the system to change/adapt so it doesn't happen again. Sadly, it takes mayhem and destruction to get people motivated to force their government to meet the populations needs.

felicitybliss
01-15-12, 12:32 PM
Ps.: I work with any government that invites me :). Ask president obama and PM Harper to issue me an invitation. I'd be happy to oblige :)

pinkster73
01-15-12, 12:33 PM
Actually, there are many good and many bad things about both the canadian and US systems. The Canadian system has a fabulous preventative care system that prevents many issues from occurring so there isnt an overwhelming demand for higher level services such as cardiovascular services. The bad part is "cost management" or "quota system" of the needed higher services such as neurosurgery. In the US, there is a terrible preventative care problem (coupled with lack of personal accountability) that creates more people needing higher level services at a tremendously greater cost.

I agree that the US system is extremely difficult to solve, particularly with apathetic people. The US has no overall plan to actually cut costs, treat more people, create individual accountability, etc. In my opinion, there is a strong base of untapped resources in the US that could be utilized to have a greater impact on individual health---which are public health centers. If those were used to capacity, it would greatly improve health care outcomes.

I have worked on US healthcare in Appalachia (which was comparable to 3rd world nations in the 1960-70s). I went to Canada to review its system and write a "lessons learned" series. Mostly, I work in 3rd to 5th world countries.

My personal favorite system is a mix of everyone's system---a little bit of USA, canada, uk, Italy, France, iran, south Africa, etc, etc.....

My work is usually due to a crisis--example: 200 kids died from xxxx so there is a need to force the system to react, intervene, and stop whatever--while forcing the system to change/adapt so it doesn't happen again. Sadly, it takes mayhem and destruction to get people motivated to force their government to meet the populations needs.

It's easy to ignore things until they are shoved in your face by a crises.

felicitybliss
01-15-12, 01:16 PM
It's easy to ignore things until they are shoved in your face by a crises.

Exactly what keeps me in business--sadly....give PM harper a ring and see if I can get an invite :).

starstar2
01-15-12, 03:52 PM
Me 10 hours a weekday. As LED engineer.

nicola_grant
01-15-12, 03:56 PM
I'm a working mum. I work 25 hours per week (5 days at 5 hours per day) at Santander, and when I'm not at work, I'm looking after my little 3 year old daughter.

redbites
01-15-12, 04:20 PM
I go to school from 9am to 3pm and that's tough work

atlantisonearth
01-15-12, 04:28 PM
I go to school from 9am to 3pm and that's tough work

Where do you live?!

7AM all the way to 4PM

nmishii
01-15-12, 04:38 PM
Flexible schedule, 80 hrs in a 2 week period. 9 hrs on M-Th, 8 every other Friday, and off the other Friday.

If I need to work more to get something done, I do.

redbites
01-15-12, 04:40 PM
Where do you live?!

7AM all the way to 4PM
Wow that's a long day!! I live in Australia, but when I lived in Washington for a year my school day was from 8am to 2:25pm

atlantisonearth
01-15-12, 05:28 PM
Wow that's a long day!! I live in Australia, but when I lived in Washington for a year my school day was from 8am to 2:25pm

:( Tell me about it...

JuniperFruit
01-15-12, 05:33 PM
Usually I only work about 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, but another chef from work quit this week, so I am stuck working every single day until we can find and train a new chef (about 3 weeks)

LCAHEARTS
01-15-12, 11:23 PM
I am a software and network technician, yay! That's 10 hours a day, weekends off....about 2 business trips a month on average.

nicola_grant
01-16-12, 12:59 AM
Where do you live?!

7AM all the way to 4PM

When I was at school it was 8.45am until 3.15pm. I don't think any English kids would manage to get to school by 7am haha.

atlantisonearth
01-19-12, 04:44 PM
Youmay notice in thispost that there arent spaces in between somewords... itsbecause my mother needs myworking computer for her darn evil work. She works 11 hours a day...now heroffice has made her worknight shift, from midnight to 6AM...intotal every dayshe works 17 hours, with only 7 hours to herself (includingfood, sleep, family time, ect.)......... bothmyparents are searching for new jobs but this debt crisisis in the way. I log on to the forums to clearmy mind of all this stress

shakiba
01-19-12, 05:16 PM
Im not working at the moment. Instead, I am working on hmwk and projects.

dalula
01-19-12, 05:29 PM
Im not working at the moment. Instead, I am working on hmwk and projects.

no! That IS work!!! it's hard work to be at school too lol so that means i "work" for 6 hours Mon Wed Thurs Fri and 5 1/2 hours Tues (i dont actually work. i have school. but it's enough work to be counted as work ;) )

shakiba
01-19-12, 05:30 PM
no! That IS work!!! it's hard work to be at school too lol so that means i "work" for 6 hours Mon Wed Thurs Fri and 5 1/2 hours Tues (i dont actually work. i have school. but it's enough work to be counted as work ;) )

yup same.

from 8:10 am to 2:40 pm

dalula
01-19-12, 05:31 PM
yup same.

from 8:10 am to 2:40 pm

8:30 to 2:40. Although i end up leaving at like 3. :D

shakiba
01-19-12, 05:37 PM
8:30 to 2:40. Although i end up leaving at like 3. :D

wow, almost the same time, except I have 20 mins extra, which means extra boredom :/

pinkster73
01-19-12, 07:30 PM
I work from 7 am to 7am. That's right, I'm on call 24 hours a day.

atlantisonearth
01-20-12, 02:24 PM
I work from 7 am to 7am. That's right, I'm on call 24 hours a day.

hahaha :p nice pinkster

iAryia
01-20-12, 03:19 PM
I work Fri-Sun and I'm at college Mon-Wed.