PDA

View Full Version : Proper English

marmento
01-11-12, 08:18 AM
Someone asked what else to whine about. Collectible, constructible should be spelled collectable, constructable. Able to be, got it?

pinkster73
01-11-12, 08:49 AM
It's constructible

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=constructible

felicitybliss
01-11-12, 08:51 AM
Perhaps, grabbing a dictionary or doing some research would have been a good idea before giving advice on proper english. Both collectible and collectable are correct, according to the Oxford dictionary. Constructable and constructible are correct according to Merriam-Webster dictionary.

mimirivera
01-11-12, 08:51 AM
While I agree with proper grammar, I have noticed that many players are from outside of the US, and may speak English as second language. Also, many people type from their phones, which I know from experience, auto spell can type some crazy things! Lol
P.S. Remember, it's a game, it's supposed to be fun.

Rachael98
01-11-12, 09:04 AM
While I agree with proper grammar, I have noticed that many players are from outside of the US, and may speak English as second language. Also, many people type from their phones, which I know from experience, auto spell can type some crazy things! Lol
P.S. Remember, it's a game, it's supposed to be fun.

Remember that English is actually from England, over here:p. It was ours first! We just...y'know, invaded your country and gave it to you.

Anyway, on the Internet, spelling and grammar are nice, but should not be the expectation as such a diverse range if cultures etc. access it.
With regard to TL, they are correct. (TL are always right...right?:p)

Rachael98:cool: (forums.TeamLava.com/member.php?1327-Rachael98)...because Norman was taken:p...what:o?
Wednesday, 11th January 2012-1569~First English State Lottery!
Christmas Content: Scheduled for removal January, 13th

Check out My Blog! (rachael98.Tumblr.com) & The TeamLava Fan Page! (http://www.facebook.com/pages/TeamLava-Fan-Page/194175333959663), the Forum Moderator Fan Club (forums.TeamLava.com/group.php?groupid=18) & The TeamLava Forum Union (forums.TeamLava.com/group.php?groupid=74)

"The purpose of life is a life of purpose"

"If in doubt, tell them to e-mail TeamLava Support (support@TeamLava.com)...for issues regarding individual accounts, anyway" ;)

ultrafrog
01-11-12, 09:28 AM
"Implements" is spelled incorrectly in the collectibles section. TL has it as "Impliments".

pinkster73
01-11-12, 09:29 AM
How about the sexism when requesting parts etc? Pinksterville needs you to send HIM a .......

felicitybliss
01-11-12, 09:34 AM
Remember that English is actually from England, over here:p. It was ours first! We just...y'know, invaded your country and gave it to you.

Anyway, on the Internet, spelling and grammar are nice, but should not be the expectation as such a diverse range if cultures etc. access it.
With regard to TL, they are correct. (TL are always right...right?:p)

Rachael98:cool: (forums.TeamLava.com/member.php?1327-Rachael98)...because Norman was taken:p...what:o?
Wednesday, 11th January 2012-1569~First English State Lottery!
Christmas Content: Scheduled for removal January, 13th

Check out My Blog! (rachael98.Tumblr.com) & The TeamLava Fan Page! (http://www.facebook.com/pages/TeamLava-Fan-Page/194175333959663), the Forum Moderator Fan Club (forums.TeamLava.com/group.php?groupid=18) & The TeamLava Forum Union (forums.TeamLava.com/group.php?groupid=74)

"The purpose of life is a life of purpose"

"If in doubt, tell them to e-mail TeamLava Support (support@TeamLava.com)...for issues regarding individual accounts, anyway" ;)

Ummm, actually, english wasn't a product of britain. English was spoken by tribes in what is now western Germany/netherlands. At that time, Britain spoke the Celtic language. These tribes invaded england/Britain. Eventually, old English resulted from the mismatch of various dialects, languages, and people.

Enlish is actually a "borrowing" language. It takes from many, many languages, dialects, and people which is why there are so many variations of words.......Today, there is American English, UK english, South African English, Caribbean english, etc, etc.....

bobbyrae
01-11-12, 09:53 AM
Caribbean English? Pray tell, what could that be?

pinkster73
01-11-12, 09:53 AM
Ummm, actually, english wasn't a product of britain. English was spoken by tribes in what is now western Germany/netherlands. At that time, Britain spoke the Celtic language. These tribes invaded england/Britain. Eventually, old English resulted from the mismatch of various dialects, languages, and people.

Enlish is actually a "borrowing" language. It takes from many, many languages, dialects, and people which is why there are so many variations of words.......Today, there is American English, UK english, South African English, Caribbean english, etc, etc.....

Oh I know it. My French husband constantly points out English words we use that we have "stolen" from the French language

Rachael98
01-11-12, 10:06 AM

You even get English English (yeah...or UK English):p.
Whatever we've stolen, it's still ours:D. And yours. And everywhere else...;)

felicitybliss
01-11-12, 10:09 AM
Caribbean English? Pray tell, what could that be? it depends on the island, but generally, it is a mix of 17th century English and African language with a dash of creole.

Rachael98
01-11-12, 10:11 AM
it depends on the island, but generally, it is a mix of 17th century English and African language with a dash of creole.

Are you an expert in everything?

felicitybliss
01-11-12, 10:17 AM
Oh I know it. My French husband constantly points out English words we use that we have "stolen" from the French language. Tell him the French stole it from the Romans :) :)

You even get English English (yeah...or UK English):p.
Whatever we've stolen, it's still ours:D. And yours. And everywhere else...;)
Language is just fascinating. Once, i was a speaking to a young man for which English was a second language. He spoke very clearly and I knew every word he said but I just could not understand the meaning of his English words. Another young man came forward to translate the "English" into English. :) :). It seems that the young man learned English from satellite broadcasts of American MTV, which is why I had no understanding of what all the slang meant. :) :).

kooky panda
01-11-12, 10:17 AM
it depends on the island, but generally, it is a mix of 17th century English and African language with a dash of creole.

I think she is!!

pinkster73
01-11-12, 10:25 AM
"Tell him the French stole it from the Romans"

Love it. I will. He drives me nuts with this, like I personally stole the French words and incorporated them into the English language.

Ps Half my family lives in England and when I'm there I have trouble understanding half of what they say. And I speak English English (not a typo)

felicitybliss
01-11-12, 10:28 AM
Nope. When I don't know something, then I freely look it up and read about it. I love learning new things. Today (for day 3), I am struggling to figure out how to remove GPS impeded information from photos. If anyone knows the answer to that, I need lessons :)

bobbyrae
01-11-12, 10:40 AM
A mix of 17th century English and African language with a dash of creole ? I beg of you to please recheck that bit of info my dear.

felicitybliss
01-11-12, 10:42 AM
A mix of 17th century English and African language with a dash of creole ? I beg of you to please recheck that bit of info my dear.
Sure, here you go....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_English
It is a condensed version...The creole part depends on the island.....

pinkster73
01-11-12, 10:58 AM
Nope. When I don't know something, then I freely look it up and read about it. I love learning new things. Today (for day 3), I am struggling to figure out how to remove GPS impeded information from photos. If anyone knows the answer to that, I need lessons :)

Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the photos? (Snicker :))

bobbyrae
01-11-12, 11:04 AM
I suspect the article, which is quite a humourous one, meant to refer to the dialect spoken not he language itself. Especially since it does say,

However, the English used in media, education and business and in formal or semi-formal discourse is the International Standard variety with an Afro-Caribbean cadence.

Needless to say, the creoles spoken in the English speaking Caribbean countries are not English at all. There is "broken" or "bad" English widely spoken in English Caribbean countries, which is entirely different from Creole. It is still English but just bad English.

That broken English is not a mixture of African and creole. It's just bad English. Creole is an entirely different matter. Entirely.

The creole is usually a mixture of the African tribes which landed on that island (different tribes went to different islands along the chain) Spanish, Dutch, English and even French. St. Lucians speak English, but their Creole is most definitely not English in any form. The Jamaican patois is similar. So too is the Haitian Creole, which everyone will agree is not French by any means.

sumnboutme
01-11-12, 11:16 AM

LOL....too funny :D

driftboutique
01-11-12, 11:31 AM
"Tell him the French stole it from the Romans"

Love it. I will. He drives me nuts with this, like I personally stole the French words and incorporated them into the English language.

I suggest also asking him innocently about the origins of French words like "le shampooing" and "le parking" :D

epiphany
01-11-12, 11:33 AM

google found this linky thing (http://techandboomers.blogspot.com/2011/02/alternative-way-to-remove-gps-info-from.html) Seems pretty straightforward........

pinkster73
01-11-12, 11:44 AM
I suggest also asking him innocently about the origins of French words like "le shampooing" and "le parking" :D

Oh I do. And stuff like how we rent movies at le blockbuster

driftboutique
01-11-12, 12:50 PM
Oh I do. And stuff like how we rent movies at le blockbuster

Ha! That's a new one on me but I love imagining it said with a French accent. Le-block-boo-STURRRR!

pinkster73
01-11-12, 12:53 PM
Ha! That's a new one on me but I love imagining it said with a French accent. Le-block-boo-STURRRR!

That's EXACTLY how he says it!

Shamrock1963
01-11-12, 01:00 PM
Ummm, actually, english wasn't a product of britain. English was spoken by tribes in what is now western Germany/netherlands. At that time, Britain spoke the Celtic language.

Back in those days, on the island of Britain, the Scots would have been speaking Celtic, but they were also invaders who came from Ireland. Weren't the original Britons the ancestors of the modern Welsh?

Shamrock1963
01-11-12, 01:02 PM
How about the sexism when requesting parts etc? Pinksterville needs you to send HIM a .......

Yeah, that bugs me too. They could shorten it to: Pinksterville needs a {part name}. But too many immature players would have a field day when the part in question was a Screw.

Shamrock1963
01-11-12, 01:03 PM
I have a T-shirt that reads as follows:

English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

pinkster73
01-11-12, 01:15 PM
Yeah, that bugs me too. They could shorten it to: Pinksterville needs a {part name}. But too many immature players would have a field day when the part in question was a Screw.

That made me laugh out loud for real

casadolce
01-11-12, 01:24 PM

Hey! That's Kooky's line!!

nmishii
01-11-12, 01:33 PM
That made me laugh out loud for real

Same here!

Rachael98
01-11-12, 02:23 PM

English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Haha! For some strange reason, it reminded me of this: "There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't".

Shamrock1963
01-11-12, 03:14 PM
Haha! For some strange reason, it reminded me of this: "There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't".

I love geeky/nerdy T-shirts.

Rachael98
01-11-12, 03:25 PM
I love geeky/nerdy T-shirts.

My favourite geeky/nerdy quote: "Be nice to nerds. One day you'll work for one".

xcellent
01-11-12, 04:02 PM
I love reading this thread.....
Just one question to bobbyrae: (hope u read this)

The creole is usually a mixture of the African tribes which landed on that island (different tribes went to different islands along the chain) Spanish, Dutch, English and even French. St. Lucians speak English, but their Creole is most definitely not English in any form. The Jamaican patois is similar. So too is the Haitian Creole, which everyone will agree is not French by any means.

Is creole (small c) different from Creole (with capital C) ? Referring to the quote above--- "the creole is a mixture of african TRIBES" (people?), while "their Creole is most definitely not English in any form" (language/dialect?)......

Well i am still wondering why eggplat is called an eggplant (i cant see any egg on it), and hamburger is called hamburger when it is made of patty (minced meat) and not ham! but then, every language has it's crazy part! Lol!

sumnboutme
01-11-12, 04:31 PM
I love reading this thread.....
Just one question to bobbyrae: (hope u read this)

Is creole (small c) different from Creole (with capital C) ? Referring to the quote above--- "the creole is a mixture of african TRIBES" (people?), while "their Creole is most definitely not English in any form" (language/dialect?)......

Well i am still wondering why eggplat is called an eggplant (i cant see any egg on it), and hamburger is called hamburger when it is made of patty (minced meat) and not ham! but then, every language has it's crazy part! Lol!

I think eggplant and hamburger are named as such (as is a lot of words) based on the origins of the word (or in the case of hamburger, where it originated from which is Germany)

casadolce
01-11-12, 08:11 PM
And why do I click "start" to turn off my PC?

bawpotter
01-11-12, 08:14 PM

I LOVE that one!!!

pinkster73
01-11-12, 08:15 PM
There's no baths in lots of bathrooms.

pinkster73
01-11-12, 08:16 PM
I LOVE that one!!!

I don't get that one :p

sumnboutme
01-11-12, 08:48 PM
I don't get that one :p

I thin 10 in binary means 2

sumnboutme
01-11-12, 08:49 PM

*think....sorry, apparently can't type :p

pinkster73
01-11-12, 08:53 PM

I figured it was computery talk

sumnboutme
01-11-12, 08:56 PM
I figured it was computery talk

Yup...the geek in me comes out to say "hi" once in a while :D

pinkster73
01-11-12, 09:00 PM
Yup...the geek in me comes out to say "hi" once in a while :D

I got my first computer 6 months ago. It took me 2 days to get it to recognize the printer.

Jonezy93
01-11-12, 09:17 PM

Hysterical!!! Would love to find that shirt!

mimisarah
01-11-12, 10:16 PM
OMG I just can't get over this one. Sorry, sorry, sorry.
felicitybliss your are amazing and very cultured and I think in law to. Please be my nbr.
Caribbean English YES, Jamaica, Barbados, Saint Croix, Sant Thomas ect many more. some US, some UK, some French or Duch....

NOW to are PhD in "Proper English"
I am American by birth, mom Scottish, dad latino american spanish/italian. Family living in America (continent YES), Europe and Asia. I live in South America, I am a Dr. (education Post-Graduate). Speech, write and read MORE than only English...... AND LOVE TL games......SO LAST TIME I CHECKED this was not Scrabble. Second I checked the rules and It does NOT say games only for English Language speaking people.

So "Tomatoes", "Tomatos" or "Tomates" it is the same.....here. Criticize language???? I ADMIRE someone how is brave enough to learn and adventure writing a 2nd language to communicate with you.

mimisarah
01-11-12, 10:23 PM
My favourite geeky/nerdy quote: "Be nice to nerds. One day you'll work for one".

LOL sooo true hahaha

Shamrock1963
01-12-12, 10:11 AM
I ADMIRE someone how is brave enough to learn and adventure writing a 2nd language to communicate with you.

Well said.

Shamrock1963
01-12-12, 10:14 AM

Yes. 10 in binary means two. For the binary number 10, the 1 is in the 2s place. If it were a decimal number 10, the 1 would be in the 10s place meaning it was ten plus zero ones - or ten. For the binary number, it's two plus zero ones - or two. So how was that explanation? Clear as tar? ;)

pinkster73
01-12-12, 10:20 AM
Yes. 10 in binary means two. For the binary number 10, the 1 is in the 2s place. If it were a decimal number 10, the 1 would be in the 10s place meaning it was ten plus zero ones - or ten. For the binary number, it's two plus zero ones - or two. So how was that explanation? Clear as tar? ;)

Oh god, more math. Not my forte

Rachael98
01-12-12, 10:41 AM
Oh god, more math. Not my forte

OK, I admit, I did that specially for you:o. Jk:p.

So, a chart of binary numbers...
64 32 16 8 4 2 1...
1 ------------------------------1
2 -------------------------1 0
3 -------------------------1 1
4 --------------------1 0 0
5 --------------------1 0 1
6 --------------------1 1 0
7 --------------------1 1 1
8 ----------------1 0 0 0
9 ----------------1 0 0 1
Etc etc.

nmishii
01-12-12, 10:42 AM

Makes total sense to me. 10 in octal is 8 in decimal. 10 in hexadecimal is 16 in decimal and 20 in octal.

pinkster73
01-12-12, 10:46 AM
Uhhh, I can find a viable vein to draw blood from on anyone, including obese people and iv drug abusers. No math required. (Darn math understanders)

nmishii
01-12-12, 10:59 AM
Never stuck a needle in my vein or anyone elses. If you told me to draw blood from someone I might first think to punch them in the face (jk).

But I forgot to add that 10 in decimal is A in hexadecimal.

pinkster73
01-12-12, 11:24 AM
I forgot to add people over 80 with no blood pressure

sumnboutme
01-12-12, 01:42 PM
I forgot to add people over 80 with no blood pressure

Lol, i'm a nurse but math will always be my favorite subject. I thought about becoming a math major when i was younger :p

Rachael98
01-12-12, 01:44 PM
You know...we're really OT.
Maybe we should try going back to spelling;).

Thursday, 12th January 2012-1966~Batman first aired on ABC-TV!*
Christmas Content: Scheduled for removal January, 20th

[I]"The purpose of life is a life of purpose"
[SIZE=1][CENTER][COLOR=blue]"If in doubt, tell them to [B]e-mail [email=support@TeamLava.com

sumnboutme
01-12-12, 01:46 PM
You know...we're really OT.
Maybe we should try going back to spelling;).

Thursday, 12th January 2012-1966~Batman first aired on ABC-TV!*
Christmas Content: Scheduled for removal January, 20th

[I]"The purpose of life is a life of purpose"
[SIZE=1][CENTER][COLOR=blue]"If in doubt, tell them to [B]e-mail [email=support@TeamLava.com

I can be a spelling nazi, lol. Misspelled words = biggest pet peeve

pinkster73
01-12-12, 02:33 PM
I'm also a spelling nazi.

Back off topic, sumnboutme you know exactly what I'm talking about then, those rolly veined no blood pressure people ha ha.

Ok back to proper English

casadolce
01-12-12, 02:38 PM

Nooo!! This is the off-topic section...let's stay off topic...lol...

English is my second language. I write better than I speak, and I speak better than I listen. My English used to be kind of proper, but I picked up bad English from the native English speaking people, if you know what I mean :)

redbites
01-12-12, 02:41 PM
Proper English to me is Understanding what the other person is saying even if it isn't spelt correctly like Colour/Color

pinkster73
01-12-12, 02:43 PM
Proper English to me is Understanding what the other person is saying even if it isn't spelt correctly like Colour/Color

Color and colour are both correct

pinkster73
01-12-12, 02:45 PM
Nooo!! This is the off-topic section...let's stay off topic...lol...

English is my second language. I write better than I speak, and I speak better than I listen. My English used to be kind of proper, but I picked up bad English from the native English speaking people, if you know what I mean :)

Because my husband is French I can understand way more of it speaking then I can read or write.

sumnboutme
01-12-12, 03:00 PM
I'm also a spelling nazi.

Back off topic, sumnboutme you know exactly what I'm talking about then, those rolly veined no blood pressure people ha ha.

The dehydrated ones are pretty bad too with their flat veins :p