PDA

View Full Version : 149 Gems for a border collie! What if we can't afford to buy gems

Lilyput
01-04-12, 01:41 AM
It must be daylight robbery for one to pay 149 gems to get a border collie. What's worse is that the collie leads you to getting a Tree Frog! So, how does one go about not paying that atrocious amount so that we can get that dog? Anyone has any ideas? :(

TimeForACuppaTea
01-04-12, 01:57 AM
Just don't buy it. The prices they've set for stuff in this game is totally insane. I guess they are hoping since it's a new game (along with zoo) then everyone will be so excited that they will just buy without thinking too much about how much it actually costs. So what they are really hoping for is that everyone who plays is just plain stupid. I agree it's frustrating to not be able to access everything in the game but they want you to get frustrated so you'll give in and spend the cash. Mine is staying in my pocket.

MiniLaura
01-04-12, 07:10 AM
You could win a contest.

casadolce
01-04-12, 08:08 AM
And whoever buys it will probably buy at least 2. That's 298 gems.

shakiba
01-04-12, 08:46 AM
WOAH! I dont play pet shop, since im busy with the other games but 149 gems for a border collie? WOW! So thats 50 dollars already? Thats just a waste of money. If u spend ur money like that then u might as well buy a new car.

sourlicorice2
01-04-12, 08:59 AM
I agree it's insane. I'll never buy gems for Pet or Zoo 2.

mushroom79
01-04-12, 10:07 AM
did anyone actually buy a border collie? I am just curious. Or even completed a family of them??!

xSnowyOwlx
01-04-12, 07:04 PM
Who says you HAVE to get it?

If you can't afford gems.... don't buy them. Nobody is forcing you to buy gems, are they? These games aren't necessary anyways.

Actually, I've gotten several gem cats and dogs for free because I got 11 gems to start and then earned some with goals. I bought $5 worth and haven't spent any of those because I found out the labradoodle costs gems to crossbreed and I'm waiting to save up and crossbreed the Abysinian and Siamese (I have 25 gems with the 24 I bought).

Oh, and yes - some people have bought the border collie. That's why I've posted before that TL most likely won't reduce the price because they've discovered there are some people who will spend that kind of money.

xSnowyOwlx
01-04-12, 07:07 PM
did anyone actually buy a border collie? I am just curious. Or even completed a family of them??!

Yes, some people have. I've seen people's shops that have tree frogs and bull frogs. You need a complete family of border collies, bengals, and toygers to unlock the tree frog which you then crossbreed with a bulldog to get the bullfrog.

That's 596 gems for the border collies and 28 gems for the bengals, toygers are crossbred and bred for coins and I don't know what it costs for the crossbreed of a tree frog and bulldog because there's no way I'm going to pay that many gems.

xSnowyOwlx
01-04-12, 07:08 PM
You could win a contest.

Yes, that is the way - but you'll have to win a lot of contests to get the whole family.

rubberduckydrummer
01-04-12, 08:29 PM
But what if we want more gems but cant afford? How do I get them? And what/where are the contests??

shakiba
01-04-12, 08:44 PM
Yes, some people have. I've seen people's shops that have tree frogs and bull frogs. You need a complete family of border collies, bengals, and toygers to unlock the tree frog which you then crossbreed with a bulldog to get the bullfrog.

That's 596 gems for the border collies and 28 gems for the bengals, toygers are crossbred and bred for coins and I don't know what it costs for the crossbreed of a tree frog and bulldog because there's no way I'm going to pay that many gems.

Thats just sad. Ppl wasting money like that, wow.

MiniLaura
01-04-12, 09:52 PM
Yes, that is the way - but you'll have to win a lot of contests to get the whole family.

So far I've won 300 gems. Only 296 to go. But oops, all my winnings have gone to Farm Story. (I'm not at all interested in getting a border collie family.)

sylvie4163
01-04-12, 10:10 PM
Thats just sad. Ppl wasting money like that, wow.

It's not wasting money if they enjoy the game, and if it makes them happy.
It might be wasteful to you, but not to them. (haven't bought the collie tho. A little overpriced for me, and since the game doesn't go past lvl 20 I'm not so sure I want to buy anymore gems there..)

xSnowyOwlx
01-05-12, 01:11 AM
It might be wasteful to you, but not to them. (haven't bought the collie tho. A little overpriced for me, and since the game doesn't go past lvl 20 I'm not so sure I want to buy anymore gems there..)

Everyone gets to decide how they spend their money, that's true. The sad thing - to me - is how many people just can't stop spending the money on stuff like this.

sylvie4163
01-05-12, 07:42 AM
Everyone gets to decide how they spend their money, that's true. The sad thing - to me - is how many people just can't stop spending the money on stuff like this.
Well, whatever makes them happy. :p :)

sourlicorice2
01-05-12, 08:18 AM

I guess everyone has different opinions but I do agree with you that you don't have to spend money to play. If you can't afford it then that's that. Plenty of things I'd like to buy but can't afford but that's life and it's not the end of the world if you can't buy certain things. I enjoy buying gems for some of my games like Bakery, Farm, restaurant, fashion and sometimes City and nightclub but don't buy so much for those two. I'd never pay for gems for zoo and Pet as the prices are just to crazily overpriced but I'll still enjoy playing them for free.

yo3ana
01-05-12, 08:31 AM
I've 137 neighbors and none of them got the border collie, and I do visit other stores at community never seen border collie displayed so I think I'm not the only one who think its stupid to get a border collie of 149 gems lol.

paisleysea
01-05-12, 12:11 PM
I'm fine with people spending money if they choose. What I don't like is using up a bunch of my coins and time to work my way through a goal only to find out at the end that gems are required for goal completion (e.g. I had no way of knowing that crossbreeding a Siamese with an Abyssinian would cost gems until I bought a Siamese). If there's no way to earn gems then it would be nice if players could choose in advance which course of play we want to pursue: free or costly.

dalula
01-05-12, 05:29 PM
Thats a sad waste of money, and I dont see anyone with the border collie. WHY is it 149 gems?! 149 gems = around $20, whole family is around $100?! seriously?! with that money i could buy a REAL border collie lol

shakiba
01-05-12, 08:23 PM

"money doesnt buy happiness" Dont judge me ppl, its not my quote.

Its just sad that they would spend money like that. I know some can be happy but u could save someone with the same money! thats just an example. U dont need the game to be happy. Give the money to someone who really needs.

shakiba
01-05-12, 08:24 PM

YEs! Thats what I meant!!! Exactly!!

cupcakes4cece
01-05-12, 11:20 PM
I've 137 neighbors and none of them got the border collie, and I do visit other stores at community never seen border collie displayed so I think I'm not the only one who think its stupid to get a border collie of 149 gems lol.

Sadly, I've seen lots of them. And lots of bullfrogs, too, which means people actually spent $120 on a complete border collie family.

LunaMiya808
01-05-12, 11:32 PM
If you earn the money, you can do whatever you please with it. People do not need to donate to anything if they do not want to, and chastising them for spending their own money how they want to will only cause strife. I get that you all believe that money can be spent in a better way, but this thread has basically come down to talking about how the people who have spent the money on the border collie are bad people for not making charitable donations.

Addiction is an issue. Some people gamble with their money, some choose to buy the border collie. I won't say that either is right or wrong, but I will say that it is their money and they have that choice. If/until the border collie is available for purchase with coins, I just feel like we're all beating a dead horse here.

But, that's just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like.

shakiba
01-06-12, 10:30 AM
Okay let's conclude this... Everyone has their own opinions and ppl can spend their money however they want to bc it's their decision. Thank u.

pinkster73
01-06-12, 11:31 AM
If you earn the money, you can do whatever you please with it. People do not need to donate to anything if they do not want to, and chastising them for spending their own money how they want to will only cause strife. I get that you all believe that money can be spent in a better way, but this thread has basically come down to talking about how the people who have spent the money on the border collie are bad people for not making charitable donations.

Addiction is an issue. Some people gamble with their money, some choose to buy the border collie. I won't say that either is right or wrong, but I will say that it is their money and they have that choice. If/until the border collie is available for purchase with coins, I just feel like we're all beating a dead horse here.

I second this

dalula
01-06-12, 11:02 PM
"money doesnt buy happiness" Dont judge me ppl, its not my quote.

Its just sad that they would spend money like that. I know some can be happy but u could save someone with the same money! thats just an example. U dont need the game to be happy. Give the money to someone who really needs.
Totally agree, IMO the money could be used to help REAL pets

pinkster73
01-06-12, 11:52 PM
Totally agree, IMO the money could be used to help REAL pets

I buy and spend a lot of gems. And if you've read other threads I've posted in you would see that I also give a large amount of money to animal rescue charities. It is possible to do both. I don't find that its sad if people spend lots on gems.

pinkster73
01-06-12, 11:53 PM
I buy and spend a lot of gems. And if you've read other threads I've posted in you would see that I also give a large amount of money to animal rescue charities. It is possible to do both. I don't find that its sad if people spend lots on gems.

Oh and wanted to add that its my money and if I choose to spend it on frivolous things rather then donating it somewhere that would be my prerogative.

casadolce
01-07-12, 12:20 AM

+1

I sometimes spend money on luxurious items, and I also give to charity. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Some of my friends are careful with money, but they don't help others either.

pinkbarbie123
01-07-12, 12:40 AM
I spend money on frivolous stuff. I have over 280 pair of shoes, but I would never spend that much money on a make believe item. I have bought gems, or I did til I hit a gem trap and greedy TL wouldn't work with me but that's just plain ridiculous. To each there own I guess. I wonder what the people who paid that much for a make believe item thought after they bought it?

mushroom79
01-07-12, 01:56 AM
Sadly, I've seen lots of them. And lots of bullfrogs, too, which means people actually spent $120 on a complete border collie family.

its 224 gems on my device now. 224 gems for ONE border collie picture. With that amount, i wonder if we can buy a real border collie puppy

blinvy2
01-07-12, 10:18 AM
So, their response to people complaining about how much border collies cost is to RAISE prices? The border collie cost 298 gems now!! If I wasn't going to buy one before, I sure as hell am not going to buy one now.

LunaMiya808
01-07-12, 10:32 AM
So, their response to people complaining about how much border collies cost is to RAISE prices? The border collie cost 298 gems now!! If I wasn't going to buy one before, I sure as hell am not going to buy one now.

This. I'm one of those people that use a lot of gems, but after the price jack up yesterday, I'm not even going to finish breeding my families. I'm going to wait until TeamLava gets it together. :(:mad:

shakiba
01-07-12, 04:22 PM

The price of the border collie was raised??????????????????? WHAT!!!!!!!!?????? After all this complaining, they raised the price? Im just...speechless.

pinkbarbie123
01-10-12, 12:27 AM
Ok, now I have got to download this game just so I can see the gem prices as I am in disbelief over the comments cuz unless gems are a penny each in that story then the suggested price is just laughable. I wonder if bc of the amount of people that were fed up with the way this company treats it's customers that quit buying gems bc of the traps and all hurt them and they are raising the prices instead of fixing the real issues. This just sounds extreme to me.

bitty143
01-12-12, 03:16 AM
149 gems for ONE dog?? That is just down right disgusting and I think team lava should be ashamed if themselves. I haven't reached the level that unlocks the border collie so I didn't know what it cost but now that I do, I definitely won't be getting one because I'm uninstalling this game now. The fact that pets cost gems at all in this game is ridculous. I can see charging them for the crossbreeds but not for the original purchase. That's like not being able to get counters in your bakery or racks in your store without purchasing gems. No one would play the games if that's how it was, but apparently their gonna go that way with petshop, which is sad because this game had real potential. But once again, team lava got so greedy, they've ruined their product.

bitty143
01-12-12, 03:18 AM
The price of the border collie was raised??????????????????? WHAT!!!!!!!!?????? After all this complaining, they raised the price? Im just...speechless.

They doubled the cost?!? Wow. TEAM LAVA, you sicken me!!

sourlicorice2
01-12-12, 08:33 AM

I'll second...third (pinkster beat me to second) this ;-)

kooky panda
01-12-12, 09:35 AM
Okay let's conclude this... Everyone has their own opinions and ppl can spend their money however they want to bc it's their decision. Thank u.
I agree here, lets keep this thread on topic, if you want to discuss the topic of how players spend their money, please take it to the PMs or start a new thread
in the off-topic forum.

okay back to the original topic.

It must be daylight robbery for one to pay 149 gems to get a border collie. What's worse is that the collie leads you to getting a Tree Frog! So, how does one go about not paying that atrocious amount so that we can get that dog? Anyone has any ideas? :(

staffygirl
01-12-12, 06:53 PM
For the record, the price of the Siamese cat was also just increased.

tonyaj81
01-14-12, 10:48 AM
I agree people complain about it but does nothing. I was shocked to see how outrages this pet shop is you can't just have fun with it you have to use ur own money to purchase all of the good animals,breedings, and/or items it crazy and I think if nothing changes I am goin to just delete all my story games..😡😓
Ok, now I have got to download this game just so I can see the gem prices as I am in disbelief over the comments cuz unless gems are a penny each in that story then the suggested price is just laughable. I wonder if bc of the amount of people that were fed up with the way this company treats it's customers that quit buying gems bc of the traps and all hurt them and they are raising the prices instead of fixing the real issues. This just sounds extreme to me.

pinkbarbie123
01-15-12, 12:07 PM
I got to the level that unlocks the border collie and it's not really anything that impressive worthy of that much money. TL does do a good job with graphics but with the zoo and pet shop games you really don't do anything with them. You buy them a mate breed them twice and collect some money. Yeah, you can breed them a couple of times for a lot of money but I don't see why it would cost so much. I totally understand that they are here to make money and I applaud anyone that comes up with an ingenious approach at becoming successful.

killinfieldz
02-06-12, 07:29 PM
I thought there was some kind of mistake. 149 gems for a border collie?! Really?! I Rubbed my eyes, Restarted and Reinstalled the game..but nothing helped ..lol Then the truth set in when I seen it on this forum. Any news of a 80% off sale? ..lol

kimmie07
02-07-12, 12:44 AM
And this is my fav.... Now that I'm at highest level in my farm come on team lave u have to be reasonable u have faithful customers who alot of us play more then one of ur games something has to change on prices and alot of us who have jobs don't have the time for the contest as much as some of us spend u should do like reward loyal customer day or something don't wanna give us gems then let us pick an item or two from our games please start being more understanding u make awesome games but only for the rich I guess n u put all the really good stuff for gems or in boxes with the risk of getting same item more then once I have 5 arches u should also find a way witch I've asked before have a yardsale day where nbrs can either trade or buy for gems or coin our choice the items we don't want like our five arches etc please please please Ty kimmie07

TrueNative24
02-07-13, 08:11 PM
I agree. Its rediculous to have to buy a dog with 149 gems. Im close to saying forget these games

TrueNative24
02-07-13, 08:20 PM
Its rediculous that these games want you to spend money on gems. 149 gems for a border collie is crazy. If you want us to buy with gems then provide them to us. Im not spending my money on a game where you have to buy gems to finish a collection.

aliera99
02-09-13, 08:46 AM
These prices are really a bad sign for everyone. It's simply unsustainable.. plenty of people will spend a few bucks here and there, but very few people can afford to pay so much so often... for little digital pictures. If they want players to pay so regularly, maybe they should change the model.. maybe move to something subscription based.

beaglefamily
02-09-13, 01:36 PM
i only do coined priced animal in my shop

sveamaydoll
02-12-13, 02:06 PM
Its rediculous that these games want you to spend money on gems.

No, it's ridiculous that you would assume a group of people would spend all day working on games for your enjoyment and then expect to not get paid anything for it. Because clearly this game is made by one guy living in his mom's basement and requires no overhead or upkeep, and wow, there's so many ads all over this game the revenue must be amazing.

They give you a game where the vast majority of it can be played for free. I have a border collie and would love to have one in the game, but even though I do buy gems occasionally, I'm not going to fret over not having one. I can enjoy the game for what it is given my price constraints. If your price constraint is free, there's still a ton to enjoy in this game. Even a lot of the stuff that costs gems gets re-modified for coins during holiday events (lab, bengal, persian, etc).

nky1111
02-12-13, 09:07 PM
it could all be ok if these games were improving. but they don't.

firstborndragon
02-13-13, 10:28 AM
I would consider buying some gems because I find the game fun. But when I saw the price of the border collie, no way. It feels like a total rip off given the price of so many other things. I just don't think locking parts of the game behind a 200 $ price tag this low a level is a good sign.

kobewild99
06-01-13, 06:48 AM

Do you mean goals because I have never heard of pet shop story having contests where you can get animals or gems.:confused:

Baraze
06-01-13, 12:55 PM
Do you mean goals because I have never heard of pet shop story having contests where you can get animals or gems.:confused:

They meant the contest TL are always having. If you win you can choose where you want your gold/gems to go.

Velcro31
06-03-13, 12:20 AM
I think the price for the border collie is insane, I really hope TL reduces it!

chaffy15
06-09-13, 08:32 AM
what contest? There is no way to earn gems other than buying? For a "free" game, the gems should be limited to those who want special decorations or to speed things up (as with their other games). It is just plain wrong that they can charge you real money to complete their goals. Goals should be able to be accomplished and not have to be purchased. That's just greedy and they lost their way from providing an entertaining time ****er. There is no sense of accomplishment in purchasing a fake pet.

sparklegirly
06-11-13, 04:53 AM
Go to teamlava contests. I think if you win you get 100 gems in your choice game.

adevandry
10-21-13, 10:04 PM
The worst thing about the border collie is that after spending 298 gems to buy two, the payout is 16 coins. Total. That's just cruel.

sharkcity8
11-07-13, 11:30 AM

I don't know why your says 298 per collie mine has never changed from the 149.