PDA

View Full Version : Tasmanian wolf?

stote
01-01-12, 11:35 PM
There's no such thing as a Tasmanian 'Wolf'. I don't know where TL got that name from. The Thylacine's common name has always been the Tasmanian 'Tiger'. Could this be fixed? As an Australian, this obvious error is really irritating...

redbites
01-01-12, 11:44 PM
I know that is pretty annoying! but at least they didn't call the Koala a "Koala bear"

stote
01-02-12, 12:14 AM
I know that is pretty annoying! but at least they didn't call the Koala a "Koala bear"

Good point!

driftboutique
01-02-12, 09:08 AM
If you google Tasmanian wolf you'll see tons of instances that say that the Tasmanian tiger is also called the Tasmanian wolf. It might be a less common name but it doesn't seem to be an error.

zedgirl
01-02-12, 10:31 PM
stote is correct, references to Tasmanian Wolf are incorrect. As redbites pointed out about the incorrect use of Koala Bear, you'll find a lot more references to Koala Bears in google than you will Tasmanian Wolf. Both are not correct. Just us Aussie's pointing out to the TeamLava team that they have used the wrong name for the extinct Thylacine... :)

pinkster73
01-02-12, 10:36 PM
If you google Tasmanian wolf you'll see tons of instances that say that the Tasmanian tiger is also called the Tasmanian wolf. It might be a less common name but it doesn't seem to be an error.

Do you have a link or a pie chart to prove this is true? (Just teasing you :))

pinkster73
01-02-12, 10:38 PM
http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/expeditions/treasure_fossil/Treasures/Tasmanian_Wolf/tasmania.html?50

driftboutique
01-02-12, 11:25 PM
stote is correct, references to Tasmanian Wolf are incorrect. As redbites pointed out about the incorrect use of Koala Bear, you'll find a lot more references to Koala Bears in google than you will Tasmanian Wolf. Both are not correct. Just us Aussie's pointing out to the TeamLava team that they have used the wrong name for the extinct Thylacine... :)

I'm talking about scientific references.

(confidential to pinkster: LOL)

xSnowyOwlx
01-03-12, 03:38 AM
Try googling it, just because the common name is Tasmanian Tiger doesn't mean there's no such thing as a Tasmanian wolf. Actually, they're canines anyways so they certainly are closer to wolves.

xSnowyOwlx
01-03-12, 03:41 AM
I meant to say they look more like canines, certainly not felines. That is how they got that name - wolf - added.

Rachael98
01-03-12, 03:46 AM
I'm talking about scientific references.

(confidential to pinkster: LOL)

(Confidential to both of you, whatever you're talking about: LOL:p)

It may be an "incorrect" name, but it's common usage really (we even have the pie chart to prove it. Sadly I was feeling literal, and made it out of pie, then ate it...:o). And besides, it's a game. Fantasy.

Rachael98:cool: (forums.TeamLava.com/member.php?1327-Rachael98)...because Norman was taken:p...what:o?
Tuesday, 3rd January 2012-Happy New Year!
Christmas Content: Scheduled for removal January, 13th

Check out My Blog! (rachael98.Tumblr.com) & The TeamLava Fan Page! (http://www.facebook.com/pages/TeamLava-Fan-Page/194175333959663), the Forum Moderator Fan Club (forums.TeamLava.com/group.php?groupid=18) & The TeamLava Forum Union (forums.TeamLava.com/group.php?groupid=74)

"The purpose of life is a life of purpose"

"If in doubt, tell them to e-mail TeamLava Support (support@TeamLava.com)...for issues regarding individual accounts, anyway" ;)

redbites
01-03-12, 03:50 AM
I meant to say they look more like canines, certainly not felines. That is how they got that name - wolf - added.
why don't we all call it a Tylacine then? that's a pretty agreeable name

pinkster73
01-03-12, 10:20 AM
why don't we all call it a Tylacine then? that's a pretty agreeable name

I don't mind any name for it. I knew nothing about this until this thread. I was just giving you a hard time for fun :p

stote
01-03-12, 08:31 PM

They're neither canines or felines, they're marsupials - that's right, they have a pouch for babies just like kangaroos and every other marsupial. They are called Tassie Tigers because of the tiger-like ******s across their backs. I have never heard of them being referred to as 'wolves', and neither has any other Aussie I've spoken to since seeing TL use this name. Perhaps this is a name that is used more in the US - I can't imagine any Australian referring to the thylacine as a Tassie Wolf.