PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion- ad free, paid version of your games

graciebell3
12-26-11, 10:32 AM
HI Team Lava-

I'm what you'd call an experienced player, I suppose. I have Restaurant Story, Bakery Story, Nightclub Story, and City Story on my iPad, and Restaurant Story and Bakery Story on my iPhone. I've topped level 96 in Restaurant Story on both devices. I used to have Farm Story and Zoo Story but I deleted them because I wasn't keeping them current. I probably spend at least a half hour a day on your games, every day.

Lately, playing your games has not been so much fun. The new ad structure--- which I understand is intended to generated much needed revenue--- is so annoying, I'm thinking of closing my restaurants after over a year of playing. Add to that the fact the Emoji no longer works further takes away from the pleasure of playing. And finally, in the city where I live, it's no longer safe to carry your iPhone in plain view on the street or on public transportation. That takes away from the time I normally would spend playing and enjoying your games.

I realize TL needs funds in order to keep the existing games going and create new ones. But really, I think the level of ads and gem traps that are in the games now are so high, you're going to see a fall off in the number of people who are willing to tolerate it. With that said, you still need to make money, so how can you do that?

I would be willing to pay $5 a month for ad free versions of your games, and maybe others would, too. That way I could go back to enjoying the games as they originally were-- pleasant entertainment with a social aspect-- rather than feeling like the game interface is a minefield of tricks intended to get me to play games I do not want to play!

If others would be willing to support this option I hope they will post here. Right now I'm thinking after this weekend I'll probably just delete the apps altogether.

Thanks for listening, TL-

lambyo
12-26-11, 11:13 AM
I think Gracie makes a great point and stated it eloquently. I would gladly pay a few bucks extra a month not to be hounded by ads for games I already either play, or don't wish to play. How does everyone else feel?

sunnyDreams
12-26-11, 11:16 AM
$5 a month per game? I might go for a one time fee per game, but not a monthly bill. I have enough of those.

3squares
12-26-11, 11:19 AM
Iwould be willing to pay a ONE TIME fee for an ad free version. No more than $6.99. What you're suggesting is $60/year!

bigbux3
12-26-11, 11:21 AM
Uh... the company makes enough money by taking our money for the purchase of gems and cc. I think the ads have gotten out of control and they should be chopped down like a tree! TeamLava games should stay free games.

julia3032
12-26-11, 11:26 AM
I would much rather pay a one time fee and not have to pay for gems and still get good content, no ads or traps. The reason the freemium concept has taken off as it has, is because they make more money on the sales of gems than in a one time fee. That's why they promote the new games so hard, because ppl are inclined to buy more gems in the beginning when a game is new and more exciting.

143Blue
12-26-11, 12:06 PM
$5 a month?!?!? not all of us are rich u know thts $60 a year which i would rather spend on a new coach wallet than an ad free game:( i would pay a one time fee of $o.99?? like other games? or just have TL remove them cuz if they have that fee it technically ISNT a free gamr anymore and they're ads would be like 99 cents or wht ur suggesting $5 a month! instead of the word free lol:P

lambyo
12-26-11, 01:02 PM
The games are "freemium", which we all know means "free to play", but you can spend $ if you choose to (not talking gem traps here, we know they exist). Many of us choose to spend real money (in my case, probably $80 a week for my 4 games) - my choice. If there was a way ($) to eliminate the ads, I would be willing to do so. If a player doesn't want to spend the money, they can continue the way it is, however, if a player wants no ads, and they're willing to pay a fee, maybe that's one way to do it. I don't want to pay any fee, but don't want ads either - but that doesn't appear to be what is currently happening.

"In the old days" (a couple years ago), you went to the store, spent $50 and brought home a big box with a disc or two in it. You loaded the game and played until you got bored. I could have bought a gazillion games for the money I've spent on the story games I play. No complaints from me (it's in the budget), but I hate the way the video game business has evolved. I've thought about quitting, and as soon as the games become a burden to play (ads, I'm looking at you!), I will. I think Grace's idea is a good start in a dialogue with TL - I hope they consider a middle ground. Otherwise, they may lose more paying customers than they get with those annoying pop up ads.

FlameyHawk
12-26-11, 01:05 PM
Hmmm...
I would pay $5 a month!
No ads = less lag
less lag = more play time
more play time = more chance of me buying gems

Yes please do this :D

sehana
12-26-11, 05:53 PM
$5 a month per game? I might go for a one time fee per game, but not a monthly bill. I have enough of those.
I am willing to pay a one time fee, no more than $1.99, but not a monthly fee for an ad-free game.

ultrafrog
12-26-11, 06:02 PM
How about if you have spent so and so many dollars in the past month then your game won't be subjected to ads. Something nice for paying players.

xcellent
12-26-11, 06:48 PM
If i am going to pay, i want a bug-free game... And player's request granted.... But not monthly payment!! My mom will **** me on hand! Lol! One time fee will be great for me--for the love of the game! im sure TL will still continue selling their gems- for the love of the money! Lol!

12-26-11, 07:41 PM
How about if you have spent so and so many dollars in the past month then your game won't be subjected to ads. Something nice for paying players.

Agree, it wouldn't be fair to those who had spent hundreds on these games. I only pay subscription fee to magazines, books, audio books and a few blogs with excellent content. Monthly subscription in app games, I'll pass. And should this ever happen I'll dumb stories games ASAP. After all there are TONS of great app games without ads so why should I bother to pay to avoid being spammed at...every few seconds. I have yet to see one game that are so aggressive...not even 10% near where TL is at.

starstar2
12-26-11, 07:58 PM
Nope. I do not want to pay to get this game.
Ur idea is not feasible, coz TL is not obliged to make it fun and good for all of us.
End of the day, bugs still present and only minor changes be made for advertising.
This is totally not worth it.

Ur idea only generates stable income for TL but not generating problems free for us.

starstar2
12-26-11, 08:03 PM
I have play several paid games.
They are fixed dead games where there is no weekly updates, nothing.
U just get to the top and that it, the end.

TL free games have weekly updates and restaurant themes that make it going even at the top.
If u want TL to be paid game, most probably they will follow the others and make it fixed, dead.

143Blue
12-26-11, 08:35 PM

it wouldnt be fair for those who havent spent money.. but i like the idea since i would be recieving an ad free game!:) i dont need popups telling me theres a gem sale after i just bought gems! the popups r nice sometimes but not like everyfew secounds! i wish they would just have the gem and update popup like once a day not every few minutes.

ilovecooper14
12-26-11, 08:39 PM
it wouldnt be fair for those who havent spent money.. but i like the idea since i would be recieving an ad free game!:) i dont need popups telling me theres a gem sale after i just bought gems! the popups r nice sometimes but not like everyfew secounds! i wish they would just have the gem and update popup like once a day not every few minutes.
If they want the pop ups removed they can buy the ad free version.
I would gladly pay a one time fee to remove ads.

12-26-11, 09:44 PM
I have play several paid games.
They are fixed dead games where there is no weekly updates, nothing.
U just get to the top and that it, the end.

TL free games have weekly updates and restaurant themes that make it going even at the top.
If u want TL to be paid game, most probably they will follow the others and make it fixed, dead.

Not all. Two that come to mind are Anthill and Carcassonne (great support staff n fast replies...LOVE the game!)

3squares
12-27-11, 04:56 AM
Not all. Two that come to mind are Anthill and Carcassonne (great support staff n fast replies...LOVE the game!)

On your recommendation, I downloaded Anthill. It was on sale for 99₵! Great graphics, fun game.

12-27-11, 06:50 AM
Not for me. I won't pay anything, the QA of the apps is very poor. I won't wasted my money for it, it is better to donate my money for charity. I have lost my gems (4-5 gems) on restaurant story. report to techsupport also doesn't solve the problem, I have to reopened the issue several it happened on last October. This issue hasn't been solved yet.

12-27-11, 07:21 AM
On your recommendation, I downloaded Anthill. It was on sale for 99₵! Great graphics, fun game.

It's really a fun game I must admit but the support is quite poor. I bought it when it first launched and reached the max level before the "infinity" territory was added to it about a month back.

Somehow not sure whose fault (most likely Apple as three of my other games were corrupted after I updated to ISO 5.0.1 and all my data was wiped out so i had to start all over again. Another app I lost all my gems and deco and xps but luckily that app publisher credited me back within 24hrs after I submitted my one and only ticket. What is even more amazing is that I didn't even have to attach any screenshot and yet I got back 3x the gems I had and some coins to re-buy some of my deco. What a contrast to TL support! Apology for the tangent but just have to add this in to show that there are many great app publishers out there).

Until this day, Anthill has yet to get back to me as to how to restore my then data but no biggie coz I enjoy busting those ants. The infinity territory is really tough I can't get pass even with maxed stars. Lol Good luck.

Farmaniac
12-27-11, 08:03 AM
Very well said, Graciebell. I absolutely agree - I love to play the games, but the ads are annoying. Why not launching an add-free version like other games do?

3squares
12-27-11, 09:24 AM
It's really a fun game I must admit but the support is quite poor. I bought it when it first launched and reached the max level before the "infinity" territory was added to it about a month back.

Somehow not sure whose fault (most likely Apple as three of my other games were corrupted after I updated to ISO 5.0.1 and all my data was wiped out so i had to start all over again. Another app I lost all my gems and deco and xps but luckily that app publisher credited me back within 24hrs after I submitted my one and only ticket. What is even more amazing is that I didn't even have to attach any screenshot and yet I got back 3x the gems I had and some coins to re-buy some of my deco. What a contrast to TL support! Apology for the tangent but just have to add this in to show that there are many great app publishers out there).

Until this day, Anthill has yet to get back to me as to how to restore my then data but no biggie coz I enjoy busting those ants. The infinity territory is really tough I can't get pass even with maxed stars. Lol Good luck.

So what's the app with the great customer support? Sounds like they appreciate loyalty.

di1975
12-27-11, 10:19 AM
I would say a one time fee....for all TL games at once! Tied to stormid. Fee no more than 6.99

Ads are ruining game play! Too much!!! One pop up after loading game would be plenty!

12-27-11, 10:34 AM
So what's the app with the great customer support? Sounds like they appreciate loyalty.

PM me...yes, they have been super great to me with nice privileges ;) since that "data disaster"...blessings in disguise.

I kinda feel guilty that I neglected that app since TL guest fiasco but am getting back very soon...nbrs are screaming at me now lol

cupcakes4cece
12-27-11, 11:15 AM
TeamLava makes millions. They do not need "much needed revenue" from ads. The ads are just pure greed and a complete disregard for the players. I would never give them more money, rewarding them for their bad behavior. No other game has game-crushing spam like this. No other developer uses dishonest tactics to earn money (gem traps, lack of confirmation, etc.) at the expense of alienating players. You are suggesting rewarding them for these things by paying them a monthly bribe to do the right thing and make their games playable?

pastrychef17
12-27-11, 11:15 AM
I would consider paying a one-time free for an ad-free version but only if their QA improved and the game wasn't so buggy or prone to "unplanned maintenance" and if we got advance notification that maintenance was coming. And I don't mean 20 minutes' notice either, more like 24 hours at a minimum. Or else they take the game down at a set time each week to do whatever maintenance is needed but it's widely known. While the games are enjoyable, the quality assurance doesn't seem to be there yet for them to be able to charge for the games. I wish it was. As I get closer to level 96 on both Bakery and RS, my interest is waning and my tolerance level for the bugs is decreasing. I actually enjoyed the goals once I figured out how to work around the bugs but that doesn't mean the bugs weren't annoying. They need better QA and a stronger voice for the user experience.

pastrychef17
12-27-11, 11:16 AM
I would consider paying a one-time free for an ad-free version but only if their QA improved and the game wasn't so buggy or prone to "unplanned maintenance" and if we got advance notification that maintenance was coming. And I don't mean 20 minutes' notice either, more like 24 hours at a minimum. Or else they take the game down at a set time each week to do whatever maintenance is needed but it's widely known. While the games are enjoyable, the quality assurance doesn't seem to be there yet for them to be able to charge for the games. I wish it was. As I get closer to level 96 on both Bakery and RS, my interest is waning and my tolerance level for the bugs is decreasing. I actually enjoyed the goals once I figured out how to work around the bugs but that doesn't mean the bugs weren't annoying. They need better QA and a stronger voice for the user experience.

*make that 'one-time fee'! - I hate that I can't edit my posts.

ultrafrog
12-27-11, 11:35 AM
The problem is that while many of us do a lot of complaining on the forums, once gems go on sale or there's new content they just rush right back in to spend tons of money.

While TL hasn't gone so far as to start censoring their forums and deleting negative posts they will not be inclined to make ANY changes unless they start to notice hits to their bottom line. If people stuck what they believed in and stopped buying gems until issues are fixed then we'd see changes more quickly.

All we get as a response from TL is from GroupMagma and sometimes Dao which consists of "We'll pass it along to the developers". That means ... precisely nothing.

The problem is that TL/Storm8 aren't very good gaming companies... Their games are designed to entice players to spend money and be easy to play. They split their efforts into a many many games because they make more money by setting many hooks in the water to attract different audiences. If they cared about making good games they would have a focused effort on doing a couple games well, instead of many games badly.

itsallme
12-27-11, 12:21 PM
The reason I play this games is that they are FREE! If they charge I am out!!

graciebell3
12-28-11, 10:44 AM
Anyone who wants to play the games as is of course can continue to do so. My suggestion is intended to offer an option not a replacement for the current game.

I'm glad to hear there are others who support some type of paid option. Maybe premium support (e.g. a response within 24 hours?) would be another feature to throw in to make a paid version more widely accepted.

nmishii
12-28-11, 10:53 AM
Cost should be based on the amount of new never seen before features that are added. For example, there should be a larger charge for iOS versions, since the new content only goes there. And games which are not updated at all, such as Empire Story, should remain as is.

xcellent
12-28-11, 01:15 PM
That would be a good option for players.... Paid and unpaid version!
But they should also put a payment option for androids and iOS..... As nmishii said, higher charge should be for iOS users.... Yet, if this will be the case, free version will suffer a lot....

LadyStefBef
01-02-12, 11:36 AM
YEA the ads are VERY ANNOYING...but a monthly bill for a game?! not worth it. I would pay a ONE-TIME fee for an AD-FREE version or even AD-LIMITED version. 1.99 is the absolute highest I would pay for add-free and 0.99 for ad-limited. You might even see more money coming in if the gem purchases were less too. They don't have to be free but at least cut the price in half. comfort and convenience aren't cheap but let's be reasonable.