PDA

View Full Version : The (un)official 'I fell in a gem trap' thread

Faufiffon
12-01-11, 01:25 PM
First, I'd like to say I've recently bought gems for a greater amount than the price of a regular PS3/xbox 360 game. I'm a paying customer, and not just for 5 bucks.

Secondly, the goal of this thread is simple: to show how easily and how often this company makes us fall into gem traps and earns money from it.

Rules are simple: tell all your gem trap stories, past or recent. Add pictures if you have the time. And come back to this thread every time it happens again.

First gem trap for me:

I wanted to cancel omelettes to make french toasts. Slight lag, finger in the wrong place, boom! Finished the omelettes instantly... 5 gems gone for a 5 min plate. Ridiculous.

http://i.imgur.com/tq0HL.jpg

Some days ago, I decided to build an easy appliance. I lost 12 gems (that I had just paid for) trying to ask for material parts from my friends. The 'ask' button is literally surrounded by gem traps as you can see in the following picture. Team Lava does this intentionally.

http://i.imgur.com/9yrDq.jpg

That's it, please tell your stories.

viiz6
12-01-11, 02:13 PM
When u want to expand ur place it has a coin and gem option, 1 on top of each other, I meant to click coins but hit gems (I blame my big thumbs) but right there was 40 gems... Right down the drain!

nmishii
12-01-11, 02:16 PM
Sometimes I don't have to tap to perform an action. It senses the heat from my finger.

Last week I had just started mutton legs in RS and had my finger hovering over the screen. A couple of flashes occurred and the next thing I knew one of my mutton legs was done and 5 gems were deducted. I didn't even see the screens. I think once I instantly finished either french toast or brownies by tapping too fast, but can't remember which one. At least this one had almost 22 hrs to go.

I also bought a couple of parts when building constructables. The 2 gems isn't bad. Once my phone slipped out of my hand when in the Manage screen for an appliance and when I caught it I heard a click. Then noticed I had instantly finished my appliance for 22 gems. That made me mad.

I usually play late at night. Three times I fell asleep and woke up to find I had bought a box for 24 gems. I don't know how I could have clicked in the right spots to get into the design tab and then into the expansion tab. I liked 2 of the 3 items I got.

I had over 9M coins in Bakery. I don't know what I did to get the convert gems to coins screen to come up, but it did. And I accidentally converted 10 gems to 20000 coins. I had over 100 gems for over a month, and last week bought 2 boxes and some chairs just to get me down to 99 gems so I wouldn't convert 100 gems to coins, since I have over 19M coins now. I got 2nd and 3rd place from the boxes, but really wanted one of the 4th place items.

When I first started playing Farm, when you started up and had withered crops it would pop up and ask you if you wanted to restore your crops for gems. I had a lot of connection problems when I first started playing, and as a new user planted shorter crops. I had a lot of withered crops, and once accidentally restored my crops. I can't remember how much I lost then. Shortly after that TL lost my farm and restored it to an old version with withered crops and gave me 40 gems, so the loss didn't bother me anymore.

shakiba
12-01-11, 02:19 PM
Well, technically TL isn't earning money from these traps unless those people buy gems from losing gems from the gem traps. But im still on ur side. Like buying a box instantly. Yesterday, I was remodeling and then my thumb slide down a bit and click on a box! I got so pst, and I got the 4th prize. Got so pst, half of my gems gone, just like that.

ultrafrog
12-01-11, 02:33 PM
Well, technically TL isn't earning money from these traps unless those people buy gems from losing gems from the gem traps. But im still on ur side. Like buying a box instantly. Yesterday, I was remodeling and then my thumb slide down a bit and click on a box! I got so pst, and I got the 4th prize. Got so pst, half of my gems gone, just like that.

They do earn money from the exact reason you stated. Spending gems accidentally means people have to buy more gems to get what they actually want. Nothing technical about it, it's an intentional design choice.

pastrychef17
12-01-11, 03:06 PM
They do earn money from the exact reason you stated. Spending gems accidentally means people have to buy more gems to get what they actually want. Nothing technical about it, it's an intentional design choice.

I think she (or he) means you really don't HAVE to buy gems to make up for the ones accidentally loss but people may CHOOSE to. You can still earn gems for free but it just takes longer to save them up for what you want. My accidental trap was I was trying to click on the counter button on the design tab and place another counter, instead I clicked on the appliance tab (I'm already maxed out) and - tapping too fast - spent 20 gems to unlock another appliance slot. It's not the end of the world and I could always use another appliance spot but that wasn't how I had planned to spend 20 gems. And no, I didn't go and buy more gems to make up for the 20 I accidentally lost.

pinkster73
12-01-11, 03:06 PM
I have clicked on the little "I" on the boxes to get information about it and BAM, bought it, no info given. I have had this happen twice.

nmishii
12-01-11, 04:03 PM
I have not bought gems yet. I will not buy gems to replace those lost in gem traps.

I get my gems from mastery, downloading games, and when TL loses my farm or walls/floors. Right now TL has given me more gems for their errors than I have lost in gem traps, so I'm okay as far as gem count goes. But it gets me mad when I do fall into a gem trap, because I believe they are intentional, and whether they are or are not intentional, TL has not done anything to prevent them. I really hate reading posts from people who have purchased gems and lost them in gem traps.

I really don't see much that I want in the stores, so I don't buy gem items that much even though I have a bunch. I had over 400 gems in 3 games a few weeks ago, none of them purchased. I don't get a thrill out of redesigning.

shakiba
12-01-11, 04:07 PM
I have not bought gems yet. I will not buy gems to replace those lost in gem traps.

I get my gems from mastery, downloading games, and when TL loses my farm or walls/floors. Right now TL has given me more gems for their errors than I have lost in gem traps, so I'm okay as far as gem count goes. But it gets me mad when I do fall into a gem trap, because I believe they are intentional, and whether they are or are not intentional, TL has not done anything to prevent them. I really hate reading posts from people who have purchased gems and lost them in gem traps.

I really don't see much that I want in the stores, so I don't buy gem items that much even though I have a bunch. I had over 400 gems in 3 games a few weeks ago, none of them purchased. I don't get a thrill out of redesigning.

Me too. I d ont buy gems at all. I rather spend my money elsewhere. If I can earn them, why should i buy them?

shakiba
12-01-11, 04:08 PM
Me too. I d ont buy gems at all. I rather spend my money elsewhere. If I can earn them, why should i buy them?

Although I dont buy them, there are several people who does. thats fine by me. Just be careful. Who knows, they might made it that way by accident?

ultrafrog
12-01-11, 04:33 PM
TL no longer gives out gems for downloading games, and I don't think they have ever given out gems for any 'errors' in RS.

Gems are earned very very slowly and in limited quantity. If you don't spend gems then sure it's not a big deal.

nmishii
12-01-11, 04:54 PM
TL no longer gives out gems for downloading games, and I don't think they have ever given out gems for any 'errors' in RS.

Gems are earned very very slowly and in limited quantity. If you don't spend gems then sure it's not a big deal.

They no longer give out gems for iDevices since Apple prohibits it, but they can give them to Android users. I've gotten some recently.

I got 100 gems when I recently lost my walls and floors in RS. I lost probably 700000-800000 coins worth of walls and flooring, so it really didn't cover the loss if you convert gems to coins in game, but I have a lot of coins. Got 100 gems in BS for the same reason. And 40 gems in Farm.

pinkster73
12-01-11, 06:13 PM

I buy them because I do like designing and having new cool stuff and I can't earn enough to do what I like.

ilovecooper14
12-01-11, 06:14 PM
I buy them because I do like designing and having new cool stuff and I can't earn enough to do what I like.

That's why I buy them too!!! Lol. :p (and I'm too inpatient to earn them;))

143Blue
12-01-11, 06:16 PM
They no longer give out gems for iDevices since Apple prohibits it, but they can give them to Android users. I've gotten some recently.

I got 100 gems when I recently lost my walls and floors in RS. I lost probably 700000-800000 coins worth of walls and flooring, so it really didn't cover the loss if you convert gems to coins in game, but I have a lot of coins. Got 100 gems in BS for the same reason. And 40 gems in Farm.

lucky! lol i would gladly give up my coin walls for 100 gems!!!

coatimom
12-01-11, 08:11 PM
I've had 3 gem traps. Once I was picking up tips and tapped too close to either my coin or gem totals at the top and spent 10 gems for $20K coins. I'm done expanding, like I need to waste gems on money. And twice during remodeling something has happened where I hit something other than the item I was getting out of storage. Once I bought the firework display, which I will never use, and recently I bought a surprise box, out of which I got fourth prize, and I don't even remember exactly what I won because I'll never put it out either. This recent one made me really upset because I've been saving gems for Christmas items. I refuse to buy any if Team Lava won't add confirm buttons for these items. I realize they are a corporation and profit is their goal, but I work hard for my money too.

ScotlandPride
12-01-11, 08:47 PM
Should have posted on this thread but yeah ive seen so many gem traps its crazy, im really getting tired of mastering recipes only to lose the gems that i need to buy at least 1 costly gem item. I also agree that u shouldnt have to buy gems to enjoy the game but apparently TL would like u to believe so!!

gypsymage
12-02-11, 08:24 AM
I don't mind supporting the game by buying gems, but when they use dishonest tactics to get you to buy more, my support stops.

sourlicorice2
12-02-11, 10:43 AM
I wanted to cancel omelettes to make french toasts. Slight lag, finger in the wrong place, boom! Finished the omelettes instantly... 5 gems gone for a 5 min plate. Ridiculous.

I've lost 5 in City and 10 in Nightclub the same way. Finishing the contract and drink for five gems during lags in the game.