PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of locking a forum game after 50 pages?

sterlingempire
11-16-11, 05:41 AM
What do you gain? There will be many more pages in Forum Games from re-created games that were locked. Games will lose their original creator. What will you do after the Forum Games thread surpasses 50 pages? Will you guys lock that too?

sourlicorice2
11-16-11, 07:32 AM
I don't like it myself that they are locked. I don't really see the point since they can be recreated anyways. If they can be recreated than why bother locking them in the first place. I also don't like having to wait for four people to post (two was better). I don't play the forum games that often anymore now with these changes.

pinkster73
11-16-11, 08:18 AM
I don't understand this rule.

nmishii
11-16-11, 08:44 AM
I see no point for this rule.

It does give the self-appointed forum police satisfaction in knowing they were able to report a thread being over 50 pages and seeing it locked.

nmishii
11-16-11, 08:57 AM
I don't like it myself that they are locked. I don't really see the point since they can be recreated anyways. If they can be recreated than why bother locking them in the first place. I also don't like having to wait for four people to post (two was better). I don't play the forum games that often anymore now with these changes.

The four person post rule was put in place to minimize the number of game posts that show up when you select "What's New" even though it is easy, and can be made easier to recognize what is a game and what isn't and skip over the thread. What existed after that rule was put in place was a shorter list, but you still opened "real" threads and saw that the only post you haven't read yet was some non-value added post, sometimes utter nonsense, appearing to be there to increase a person's post count.

Rachael98
11-16-11, 09:01 AM
You might want to discuss with GM;).

But I like it (partly because I pretty much requested something like that:p). Because of the 7-day rule that goes with it, it means fewer FGs in WN altogether and it means that people who play them can take a break and think up new ideas for the game.

ilovecooper14
11-16-11, 09:06 AM
I don't get the point of this rule.

pinkster73
11-16-11, 09:09 AM
You might want to discuss with GM;).

But I like it (partly because I pretty much requested something like that:p). Because of the 7-day rule that goes with it, it means fewer FGs in WN altogether and it means that people who play them can take a break and think up new ideas for the game.

People are fully able to decide to take a break and/or think up new games without having it dictated to them that they should.

sourlicorice2
11-16-11, 09:10 AM
The four person post rule was put in place to minimize the number of game posts that show up when you select "What's New" even though it is easy, and can be made easier to recognize what is a game and what isn't and skip over the thread. What existed after that rule was put in place was a shorter list, but you still opened "real" threads and saw that the only post you haven't read yet was some non-value added post, sometimes utter nonsense, appearing to be there to increase a person's post count.

Ok now that rules understandable, still don't like it but I can understand why they made it.

felicitybliss
11-16-11, 09:26 AM
I think it is silly to lock threads based on length. If they get to 50 pages, then it tends to be a worthy topic or something people enjoy. The point of the forum is for more social interaction as this is part of the social gaming experience (or that is what TL management said in an interview). I think this rule inhibits the point and purpose of a forum.

I also don't see the point of locking "old" threads if the topic is still current. In other forums, posting a new thread on a topic that already has one gets locked and you get toe-picked by the community. In TL world, the opposite is true. For example, a few days ago people posted about the need for a block button on threads that were months old. Even though the thread was current and still appropriate, those threads were locked. It is quite a deterrent for new members who post using rules that are readily accepted on most other forums. I am sure they won't be back after receiving such a warm welcome........

casadolce
11-16-11, 09:44 AM
IMHO, all those rules are made to discourage people from playing forum games.

"You have to wait till someone else has posted before posting again...let's make it 2, no, make it 3 people have posted...oh wait...you're still playing? Let's make it 4 people...ah ha...got you...now you have to wait...disinterested? See ya ~~~~"

I find that on the days we receive our game updates, there are less people playing the forum games. I interpret it as "if the story games themselves are interesting enough, people have other things to discuss and have less time to play games".

The forum games should be promoted, not discouraged. It brings us closer together and we get to know each other better.

felicitybliss
11-16-11, 10:32 AM
Sterling, i wanted you to know that I support your creation of a thread to openly discuss the thread locking issue and welcoming the opinions of others. I see no point in picking up the bat phone to discuss this issue with GM privately. If he wants to read the feedback or join the discussion, he is certainly welcome. While there are a few issues that need dealt with discreetly and require PMs, this is not one of them---in my opinion. Most topics should be politely discussed in an open forum rather than catering to the whims and whisperings of individuals....

Once again, I think the locking of popular threads due to length is silly and discourages participation.

nmishii
11-16-11, 10:57 AM
I didn't play forum games before there were posting rules. When there was a 2 post rule, I often had to wait to post but the wait wasn't bad. The games were fun to play and I made many friends. When they went to the 4 post rule, I spent more time opening threads and seeing that there weren't 4 posts than I did playing the games, and I don't play them that much anymore. Or I'll wait a long time and go into the forum games subforum and I'm able to play many of the games. But its not the same as when there was real-time interactions, and I don't see those interactions as much any more with the other players.

Locking a game that is currently being played by many just because it hit 50 pages is silly. But that is the norm for TL forum rules.

sterlingempire
11-16-11, 02:07 PM
Sterling, i wanted you to know that I support your creation of a thread to openly discuss the thread locking issue and welcoming the opinions of others. I see no point in picking up the bat phone to discuss this issue with GM privately. If he wants to read the feedback or join the discussion, he is certainly welcome. While there are a few issues that need dealt with discreetly and require PMs, this is not one of them---in my opinion. Most topics should be politely discussed in an open forum rather than catering to the whims and whisperings of individuals....

Once again, I think the locking of popular threads due to length is silly and discourages participation.

This has been on my mind for a while. I was quite upset when my favorite game was locked. Whispering to a mod will be no use -- no one knows what us users think...

Count to a Million was locked for serving its purpose; it surpassed 50 pages. I think they are just trying to hunt down threads that they dont approve of (also, threads that break no rules, ) and attacking them by their weak spot- by creating an unnecessary policy. TL can have their policies while I will just stick to my principles. Their policies should [U]not clash with my principals.

If you still think that this rule makes sense, then look at the frequency of older forum games that have been locked because of the rule... more activity, correct?

ariesblu
11-16-11, 06:29 PM
I think the "waiting for four people to post before you" rule is ridiculous and childish -- personally.

ilovecooper14
11-16-11, 06:30 PM
I think the "waiting for four people to post before you" rule is ridiculous and childish -- personally.

I agree! I am waiting for one more person to post in the count down .. Anyone? ;)
Lol

GroupMagma
11-16-11, 06:31 PM
Some interesting points have been made. I may reevaluate this moving forward. However, this was implemented in a time when threads hit the 50K mark in a matter of days, and users were posting sometimes 10-20 times consecutively. That caused the limitations to be implemented.

However, this is not the appropriate venue for this time of request. The Forum Disputes subforum was created with this in mind.

@Felicity; we're moving away from locking older threads, so long as the information posted is still relevant and accurate.