PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Menu Ideas

bawpotter
11-14-11, 06:56 PM
Okay, so I am trying ot think up ideas for my Thanksgiving menu, and I am at a standstill. Much help would be appreciated! Also, feel free to post your own menu ideas. Here is what I have so far:

-Turkey w/Gravy
-2 kinds of stuffing: Ritz Cracker and regular
-Sweet Potato Cassorelle
-Mashed Potatoes
-Roasted Vegetables: (Potatoes, Carrots, Celery, Onions, but mostly potato)
-Cranberry Sauce
-Orzo w/ Mushrooms & Onions
-Another meat dish:???
-Some corn dish:???
Dessert:

-Chocolate Chip Cookie (from scratch)
-Chocolate Cream Pie (from scratch)
- Another thing:???
-Another small thing:???

So, just four things, and any other good ideas you have.

Hawaiianmomma
11-14-11, 07:02 PM
Sam Choy's Kitchen recipe: Pumpkin Crunch

One 13 oz. can pumpkin
One 12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup nuts, chopped
1 cup melted butter

Mix first five ingredients and pour into greased, parchment lined 9x13 cake pan.* Spread half of cake mix (dry) over batter, sprinkle with nuts and remaining cake mix.* Pour melted butter over top.* Bake in 350 degree oven for 50 mins.* When cool, loosen pumpkin crunch from side of pan with a knife.* Invert pan onto platter (the top becomes the crust) Top with sweetened cream cheese or whipped cream.

HawaiianClassic On Every Table Throughout the Islands On Thanksgiving Day

farmer217
11-14-11, 07:31 PM
If you like to BBQ, and which also doesn't have to use the oven: tri tip, either marinate yourself or most that come already marianated are quite good.

Dessert: pumpkin pie, of course (or do you not like pumpkin pie?)

kooky panda
11-14-11, 07:43 PM
Company Corn

1/2 lb bacon
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons chopped onions
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup sour cream

2 (16 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drain

In a large s****et, cook bacon till crisp, remove and crumble. In same s****et, saute onion in bacon drippings and butter until tender.

Add flour and mix well.

Stir in sour cream.

Mix in corn and cook over low heat until mixture begins to thicken.

Stir in bacon, saving some to use as garnish.

Pour into serving dish and garnish with reserved bacon; serve immediately.

greygull
11-14-11, 07:52 PM
Slightly different stuffing - Apple Bacon Stuffing

Another meat dish - BBQ Pulled Pork (in store prepackaged works ;) )

Another veggie dish - green beans with caramelized onions, or (out of the can) Super Sweet White Corn (I think the brand is Green Giant)

Rolls/breads of some kind?

Strawberry Banana Pie - take 5 minutes to make, needs no cooking

bawpotter
11-14-11, 08:03 PM
GG, I think I am going to do green beans, I like that one, thanks! I am working on the rolls currently, maybe popovers or cornbread.

greygull
11-14-11, 08:10 PM
Green beans:

Saute onions in olive oil, add fresh cut green beans and chicken broth. Cover, cook for 5-10 minutes, serve. My bunch likes them a bit crunchier, so I only do 5 minutes. Depending on how much you make, the broth only needs to come about 1/2 way up the green beans, not completely covering them.

Rolls - Pilsbury lol! :)

casadolce
11-14-11, 08:34 PM
Well, since this is in the off-topic section I'm going to go off-topic.

Every time I see a thread about Thanksgiving I think of it as an old thread because in Canada Thanksgiving was in October.

Also I was out of the country during our Thanksgiving so I missed the turkey dinner. Therefore, to me, Thanksgiving is a depressing topic :(

dd1313
11-14-11, 08:45 PM
Dessert: Boston cream pie takes 8 hours. I like 8 hour things better. 8 hours or 4 hours.

nmishii
11-15-11, 08:17 AM
...Also I was out of the country during our Thanksgiving so I missed the turkey dinner. Therefore, to me, Thanksgiving is a depressing topic :(

I can understand this. I was out of the country during the last Olympics. I only saw that country's participation in the games and couldn't understand a word the announcers said. I feel like I missed out on the Olympics that year.

You're welcome to eat turkey next week with the US. Even if at a restaurant. I know its not the same, and its a work day, but it might help a little.

sourlicorice2
11-15-11, 08:27 AM
I haven't celebrated a Canadian Thanksgiving since I've been in Thailand. I do miss pumpkin pie :-( My father orders a turkey here for Xmas so still get that once a year :-)

bawpotter
11-15-11, 01:44 PM
That's fun! Just make some mashed potatoes, a chocolate cream pie, and you are all set!