PDA

View Full Version : Android smartphone warning

barleycoon
11-07-11, 10:47 AM
I've just seen on the news that android smartphones are been targeted by scam apps,when the app is downloaded,you may be changed premium rate calls,also access to personal information may be obtained.
I just wanted to warn everyone to be careful.
Hope this is okay to warn others.

kattybell
11-07-11, 10:59 AM
Thanks for sharing. I use a iPhone but I told friends who use Androids. :)

barleycoon
11-07-11, 11:25 AM
Thanks for sharing. I use a iPhone but I told friends who use Androids. :)

That's okay,apparently criminals are creating Trojan copies of re****ble apps and tricking users into installing them.
It's terrible,I hope something can be done to prevent this.

pinkster73
11-07-11, 11:47 AM
That's okay,apparently criminals are creating Trojan copies of re****ble apps and tricking users into installing them.
It's terrible,I hope something can be done to prevent this.

Copies of what kind of apps?

kattybell
11-07-11, 11:49 AM
Re liable.

Rachael98
11-07-11, 11:59 AM
Thanks for warning, will post tonight.

barleycoon
11-07-11, 12:10 PM
Copies of what kind of apps?

It did not specify,so maybe any?

barleycoon
11-07-11, 12:11 PM
Re liable.

Thanks,but that's not the word,it wasn't rude really.

kattybell
11-07-11, 12:16 PM
Thanks,but that's not the word,it wasn't rude really.

Oh ok, that's the closest word I could think of.

pinkster73
11-07-11, 01:05 PM
Oh ok, that's the closest word I could think of.

Me too but it didn't fit the stars ha ha

bawpotter
11-07-11, 01:26 PM
Gimme a sec, I am checking...

bawpotter
11-07-11, 01:28 PM
Okay, the word was

Rep utable

bawpotter
11-07-11, 01:31 PM
The stars were "P U T A"

It is a curse in spanish, that is why it was blocked.

kooky panda
11-07-11, 01:48 PM
Okay guys reminder that discussions on the filter is not allowed on the forum. Please send words to GM, DW, or BP that you find need to be corrected.

If you have words to report or suggestions to make regarding the filter, please send myself, Daojin or ButterPanda a PM. Please do not discuss this in the forum.

Rachael98
11-07-11, 01:54 PM
Moving on...
...GM, can TL send out a warning to their users?

barleycoon
11-07-11, 01:58 PM
Moving on...
...GM, can TL send out a warning to their users?

I've sent a PM to check on the word.

Rachael98
11-07-11, 01:59 PM
I've sent a PM to check on the word.

I meant about the scams actually:p.

fudge123442
11-07-11, 02:11 PM
Ok, just to be sure, this means that some apps may be taking our info,right? Scary. Is anyone doing anything?!! This is rediculous ( hope i spelled it right)!!!!! Its bad enough that we have murders! Now people are stealing info?!?!?! Why isnt the world at peace!!!!! Ugh! Thanks for the warning. I will warn everyone asap.

Sorry kind of get worried alot. Get frusterated easy to.
Thanks!

barleycoon
11-07-11, 02:12 PM
I meant about the scams actually:p.

Sorry,good idea lets hope as many players see this and pass it on.

nmishii
11-07-11, 02:15 PM

If you mean you'll post it in-game, remember that the people who it applies to can't read emoji.

I learned two things in this thread today.

Rachael98
11-07-11, 02:17 PM
If you mean you'll post it in-game, remember that the people who it applies to can't read emoji.

I learned two things in this thread today.

I'm not going to name any names, but it's close to home...a few years ago the same happened with iPhones too. But I'll do the AV as per usual.

barleycoon
11-07-11, 02:24 PM
Ok, just to be sure, this means that some apps may be taking our info,right? Scary. Is anyone doing anything?!! This is rediculous ( hope i spelled it right)!!!!! Its bad enough that we have murders! Now people are stealing info?!?!?! Why isnt the world at peace!!!!! Ugh! Thanks for the warning. I will warn everyone asap.

Sorry kind of get worried alot. Get frusterated easy to.
Thanks!
Some scam apps are being made to look like original apps,they may take your info or credit from your phone.Everyone needs to be really careful when downloading apps.
I really hope I didn't scare you,I just wanted to warn everyone this is happening and to be really careful.Take care.

ariesblu
11-07-11, 03:23 PM
That's truly a cause for concern. That is why I truly value the comments/review section of apps. I also only get apps from the market, or Amazon.

nmishii
11-07-11, 11:01 PM

Your in-game warning reads:

[][][][][][][]:[]cam apps-be careful![][] [][][][][]...[]O[][][][] [][][][][][] []O[][][] G[]lit[]![][][]

The O has a dash partially in it and looks kind of like a capital Theta symbol. The letters "cam apps-be careful" have circles around them and I assume the letters before it are "Android: s". And the G has a dot or something under it.

But its the thought that counts, and thank you for warning the Android users. I didn't even do that in my posts.

Rachael98
11-08-11, 12:36 AM
Your in-game warning reads:

[][][][][][][]:[]cam apps-be careful![][] [][][][][]...[]O[][][][] [][][][][][] []O[][][] G[]lit[]![][][]

The O has a dash partially in it and looks kind of like a capital Theta symbol. The letters "cam apps-be careful" have circles around them and I ass ume the letters before it are "Android: s". And the G has a dot or something under it.

But its the thought that counts, and thank you for warning the Android users. I didn't even do that in my posts.

That's because I fell asleep before I got the message around in the AV:o.

GroupMagma
11-08-11, 01:03 PM
To be honest, this has always been a problem with downloading apps; it's not a new dilemma. That's why I'd recommend:

1) Checking reviews before downloading anything
2) Seeing what permissions you are granting the app before downloading (I believe both Android and App Store tell you this before you download)

We can't really give a notification of it in-game; it doesn't really have anything to do with our apps (which are naturally safe), and we're not really the appropriate channel for users to hear about this information.

Rachael98
11-08-11, 02:27 PM
To be honest, this has always been a problem with downloading apps; it's not a new dilemma. That's why I'd recommend:

1) Checking reviews before downloading anything
2) Seeing what permissions you are granting the app before downloading (I believe both Android and App Store tell you this before you download)

We can't really give a notification of it in-game; it doesn't really have anything to do with our apps (which are naturally safe), and we're not really the appropriate channel for users to hear about this information.

I'd always check reviews anyway, because sometimes it turns up something unexpected (eg. so-called "Fashion Story Elite" (an unofficial fake, by the way:(), I read the terrible reviews and didn't download it. Then I started a thread about it, then someone else did and TL are apparently taking action).

Some apps have a prompt, others (such as TeamLava, S8 and FM apps) do not. But, as you say, your apps are now perfectly safe, and enjoyable.

I understand why you won't...you are correct, I was really just suggesting lots of things.

Oh, and nice to see you, GM:D.