PDA

View Full Version : REAL town planning...!

Buttwipe
10-17-10, 11:52 PM
Am I the only one..?
Am I the only city planner, who actually thinks about planning?
I'm not just talking about not having rows and rows of cash generating banks or houses, I'm talking about making sue the middle school has sports facilities, or that the mansions arent too close to the business district, and that there aren't too many dead ends, or that key buildings have car parks.

Maybe it's just me.
Worryingly, I didn't think I had that much spare time...
Somebody...please compete in the realism stakes.

My I'ds are wedge1 and wedge2

Supervolcano
10-18-10, 03:56 AM
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5749/level64full.jpg (http://img151.imageshack.us/i/level64full.jpg/)

Supervolcano
10-18-10, 03:58 AM
Oooops, that one is a little old.
Haven't uploaded the one to imageshack yet that has the Middle School and Grocery Store.

Maybe I'll post another one after I get another 900,000 coins to buy the Empire State Building.
:D

Unregistered
10-18-10, 04:47 AM
You're not the only one with heaps of time to devote to city planning (^_^) There's a thread...

http://forums.teamlava.com/showthread.php?1494-Realistic-cities-wanted!! ({url})

It's a game eh? Everyone plays it different and gets their own city satisfaction. Cheers!

Buttwipe
10-18-10, 10:30 AM
I wasn't being preachy...just being a forum-type discusser.

Unregistered
10-18-10, 12:08 PM
I would love to city plan, but since I have be sorta ripped off of 24 City $$$ through poor game design. And the fact I'm not spending Real $$$ for make believe $$$...I will never get to have the beautifully planned city I desire.

Buttwipe
10-18-10, 12:43 PM
I haven't spent a penny on my city. Literally.
Planning doesn't cost.

Unregistered
10-18-10, 01:55 PM
Take a look at my city (Petersburg) and tell me what you think. I try to keep the office, factory, and residential areas separate. I also hide doors that are facing the wrong way (oh, how I wish we could rotate them in two more directions).

There are more than one Petersburgs. The only way I know of for you to find mine is to request me as a neighbor. My ID is PeteTheGolfer.

Unregistered
10-18-10, 04:37 PM
I think my city is generally planned out. Not the best but decent with some thought to it. ID sirchikatown City name: Sir Chika Town named after my cat lol
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y326/sirchikatown/City%20Story/6cc65ad9.png

Unregistered
10-18-10, 06:21 PM
Half the cities I go to are horrible! All of their Buildings aren't even connect to roads. They have like 500 cafe's and cozy houses in their cities!

Unregistered
10-19-10, 05:01 AM
What a disappointment. After working to balance my city with parks, grass, space and good roads; I purchased the NY Townhouse. It dropped my happiness to a shocking city low! So, stuck it in storage. Annoying (>_<)

Unregistered
10-19-10, 02:13 PM
Half the cities I go to are horrible! All of their Buildings aren't even connect to roads. They have like 500 cafe's and cozy houses in their cities!

It's how some people enjoy the game. *shrugs* If it bothers you, don't add them to your neighbors list/delete them off your neighbors list. No need to be whiny :)

Unregistered
10-19-10, 02:37 PM

"What is up with 300 libraries in a cluster? Is it all about the coins. Yet it makes an UGLY city!

Unregistered
10-19-10, 02:41 PM
"What is up with 300 libraries in a cluster? Is it all about the coins. Yet it makes an UGLY city!

Can anybody out there help me with this one. I have had two people who have never responded to a
request for neighbor. How do you delete them. Why is there no way to get rid of them from my wall?!!!

chvchv & chvchv2
10-19-10, 03:24 PM
Hi Neighbor!

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5749/level64full.jpg (http://img151.imageshack.us/i/level64full.jpg/)

Is your city currently the biggest city in City Story?

Supervolcano
10-19-10, 03:48 PM
Hi Neighbor!

Is your city currently the biggest city in City Story?
In terms of expansion size, yes, my city is 24x24 which is currently the game's limit (and a lot of people are at that limit).

In terms of happiness/population, no, I've seen at least 2 cities which have over 1,000,000 population and both have a happy face (which means their happiness value is greater than their population value).

And that's an old picture of my city.
Check the original thread to see my new layout.
http://forums.teamlava.com/showthread.php?1494-Realistic-cities-wanted!!&p=11602&viewfull=1#post11602

chvchv & chvchv2
10-19-10, 07:07 PM
I've meant in terms of people and happiness.

My "chvchv" city is in terms of size also a 24x24 city. Too bad that there is a limit. Wouldn't it be good to have no limit at all?

I've seen your current city. Nice Empire State Building. You are one of my neighbors. :-)

I have 2 cities. I have the city "chvchv" in my iPad, which is a 24x24 city and I have a "chvchv2" city on the iPhone, which I intentionally keep at the 10x10 size. Tomorrow I will have enough coins to buy the Empire State Building for the small city. I want to stack the small one up with lots of expensive buildings . Lets see how this looks like in the end. :-)

Supervolcano
10-19-10, 07:59 PM
I've meant in terms of people and happiness.

My "chvchv" city is in terms of size also a 24x24 city. Too bad that there is a limit. Wouldn't it be good to have no limit at all?

I've seen your current city. Nice Empire State Building. You are one of my neighbors. :-)

I have 2 cities. I have the city "chvchv" in my iPad, which is a 24x24 city and I have a "chvchv2" city on the iPhone, which I intentionally keep at the 10x10 size. Tomorrow I will have enough coins to buy the Empire State Building for the small city. I want to stack the small one up with lots of expensive buildings . Lets see how this looks like in the end. :-)
I have 423,202 population and 756,777 happiness.

I obviously haven't seen everyone in the game, but from the ones that I have seen, that puts me somewhere in the top 10 for population I think.

Like I said, I've seen 2 that had over 1,000,000 population.

chvchv & chvchv2
10-19-10, 08:24 PM
I have 423,202 population and 756,777 happiness.

I obviously haven't seen everyone in the game, but from the ones that I have seen, that puts me somewhere in the top 10 for population I think.

Like I said, I've seen 2 that had over 1,000,000 population.

When did you start playing? Did you send real money on the game? (I didn't and I won't)

My 2 cities are currently:

chvchv: pop: 101,896 - happy: 173,771 - coins: 631,000 - XP: 224,440
chvchv2: pop: 120,246 - happy: 117,754 coins: 7,141,632 - XP: 185,892

Supervolcano
10-19-10, 08:50 PM
When did you start playing? Did you send real money on the game? (I didn't and I won't)

My 2 cities are currently:

chvchv: pop: 101,896 - happy: 173,771 - coins: 631,000 - XP: 224,440
chvchv2: pop: 120,246 - happy: 117,754 coins: 7,141,632 - XP: 185,892
Not sure, about 2 or 3 months ago I think.

I spent money for 7 magic cases, 4 playing fields for my Sports Park, and 1 American Flag.
Also used real money for several of the very expensive City Expansions at the later levels.

Other than that, the rest was pretty much paid for with coins earned from collecting stars from my large quanity of very loyal cleaners (who I keep loyal by cleaning them back each day ... like you :D ) and managing my contracts efficiently.

chvchv & chvchv2
10-19-10, 09:06 PM
Not sure, about 2 or 3 months ago I think.

I spent money for 7 magic cases, 4 playing fields for my Sports Park, and 1 American Flag.
Also used real money for several of the very expensive City Expansions at the later levels.

Other than that, the rest was pretty much paid for with coins earned from collecting stars from my large quanity of very loyal cleaners (who I keep loyal by cleaning them back each day ... like you :D ) and managing my contracts efficiently.

Efficient contract managing is important.

Btw: Massage Chairs give you only 850 Coins/h. But I think you know this and you just want to complete the 4 keys.

The best "long term" (at least 12h) contracts are the Change Bots with 1050 Coins/h and the Coffee Makers with 1075 Coins/h.

A good money maker are the Breakfast Cereal with 3200 Coins/h (15 min/contract) or the Energy Drinks with 2800 Coins/h (30 min/contract)... But these are only good when you can check on your stuff every 15 or 30 minutes...

Supervolcano
10-19-10, 09:44 PM
Efficient contract managing is important.

Btw: Massage Chairs give you only 850 Coins/h. But I think you know this and you just want to complete the 4 keys.

The best "long term" (at least 12h) contracts are the Change Bots with 1050 Coins/h and the Coffee Makers with 1075 Coins/h.

A good money maker are the Breakfast Cereal with 3200 Coins/h (15 min/contract) or the Energy Drinks with 2800 Coins/h (30 min/contract)... But these are only good when you can check on your stuff every 15 or 30 minutes...
That info and much more can be found here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AnUymFFL3mW6dHR5clRtRFJ5WC02TzcycDhQSUZzQ 3c&hl=en

Yep, how I personally handle my contracts revolves more around obtaining mastery keys, not coins.
But I am afforded that luxury because of the amount of coins I get from cleanings each day.
;)

Buttwipe
10-27-10, 12:56 PM
By the way......I started this thread to talk about REAL city planning.
It seems to have changed direction...

Realistic spacing, realistic positioning, car parks for shopping malls, football pitches for colleges, lakes in parks, hedges to separate gardens......

My ids are: Wedge1 & wedge2

Comments welcome.!

rpthevegan
10-30-10, 11:25 PM
Realistic spacing seems hard to attain, close to realistic maybe. I sized my suburb blocks to 2x4 lots. What I mean by suburb is the areas adjacent to the factories. I spent almost half an hour trying to figure out how to make good transitions from industrial to business. I finally put some self storage buildings and a fire station next to them.
My southern industrial row borders with green parks to the west, and simple homes to the west of the parks, to start the residential area. I was going to put a river and grassy parks next to the factories as a buffer to the rsidences, but rivers cost a lot !

I believe suburbs are also characterized by low rise offices, fast food restaurants, gas stations and convenient stores on street intersections. To promote urban edge, some real zoning codes also prohibit parking lot on main street. Parking lot would have to go behind main street buildings, accessible from secondary streets.

Realistic building function positioning is easier to accomplish. I wish there were 2 or 3 design varieties for each building function. For example 2-3 different designs of low rise office complex, 2-3 different designs of cafe, etc.

Still long ways to go as I just started, currently level 14, definitely need to expand soon.
Can't wait to start working on more residential areas with schools and parks. Downtown would go last I think, since highrises are costly.

Unregistered
10-30-10, 11:31 PM
(oh, how I wish we could rotate them in two more directions)
Couldn't agree more

Unregistered
10-31-10, 01:42 AM
Am I the only one..?
I'm not just talking about not having rows and rows of cash generating banks or houses, I'm talking about making sue the middle school has sports facilities, or that the mansions arent too close to the business district, and that there aren't too many dead ends, or that key buildings have car parks.

Maybe it's just me.

welcome to my city ,I'm a planner.

ID:wuhao1

Unregistered
11-15-10, 10:43 PM
yeah i know how you feel lols. i hate looking at cities with a bunch of gifts rowed up next to eachother haha.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/669/76227169081183102612596.jpg

Unregistered
11-16-10, 11:31 PM
City: Starlight
My city is still in the works but like the OP, I try to plan it out, rather than have stacks of trailers/houses everywhere
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/junolyn/Miscellaneous/8f5b4f5a.jpg

Unregistered
11-20-10, 06:30 PM
Highrise apartment on the same block right next to a factory?
What kind of planning is that?

Unregistered
11-22-10, 04:55 AM
My version of a real city:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/336/36046210.jpg

Unregistered
11-27-10, 07:59 AM
These so called planners are hilarious

DilrodWV
11-28-10, 09:17 AM
I definitely do planning and try to have a "real" city. I just started really playing about a week ago although I have had the game for awhile. Add me too please as I need neighbors. No one seems to reply to my requests. DilrodWV. I wish that there was an option to buy some of the stuff with coin or city cash instead of just city cash.

Unregistered
11-28-10, 09:28 AM
My version of a real city:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/336/36046210.jpg

Luxury condos lines up in front of a line of factories? I don't wanna live there!

Unregistered
12-01-10, 07:14 PM
Luxury condos lines up in front of a line of factories? I don't wanna live there!

Plenty of others do! :D

Here's the final layout. I'm done...even if we get updates. I'm sad to say I'll probably let me star level go down to 1. Just need a long break to enjoy my work!

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/4534/61536310.png

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/2947/35310802.jpg

Unregistered
12-02-10, 05:51 PM
Can anybody out there help me with this one. I have had two people who have never responded to a
request for neighbor. How do you delete them. Why is there no way to get rid of them from my wall?!!!
i would also like to know I have some people that didn't respond and I have some that just don't play.

stanleymusic
12-05-10, 09:46 PM
i am planning my own dream city too!!!!

welcome to visit mine!
ID: stanleymusic

Am I the only one..?

Maybe it's just me.

chvchv & chvchv2
12-06-10, 10:03 AM
i am planning my own dream city too!!!!

welcome to visit mine!
ID: stanleymusic

There are not enough items and there is by far not enough space to create a "dream city". All cities practically look the same. No individuality, no personality... same ol', same ol'...

Unregistered
12-07-10, 12:16 PM
wanted to share with u guys, how do i get the pic onto this page? im not on facebook, thanks

Unregistered
12-10-10, 11:49 PM
I am trying to make my city realistic, ID atalanta11

Colinia
12-16-10, 06:56 PM
I'm glad to see someone that also likes to make their city make sense. It's half the game, make it real no? There's nothing slowing you down, and it actually looks like a city. Vote real cities for city of the week.

Am I the only one..?

Maybe it's just me.